Rumor: Best Buy preparing for Oct. launch of Apple's iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A pair of new reports claim retailer Best Buy is preparing for an October launch of Apple's next-generation iPhone, though they conflict on potential launch dates.

A leaked document from the retailer provided to Boy Genius Report suggests that the iPhone will launch the first week of October. The note to employees also claims that Sprint will offer Apple's fifth-generation iPhone at launch, aligning with a recent rumor that it would become the third carrier in the U.S. to offer the iPhone.

The memo suggests that pre-sales for the new iPhone could begin soon, with an "expected" launch in the first week of October. However, the note also cautions that launch dates are "subject to change."

Separately, This is my next also reported on Sunday that Best Buy is scheduled to have an "Apple fixture" installed at its retail stores on Friday, Oct. 21, a few weeks after the memo implies the next iPhone will launch.

"To be clear, this isn't a run-of-the-mill installation for the big box -- our tipster tells us that the request that a manager be on-hand at 6AM is out of the ordinary (they usually show up at 7AM for inventory), and that a similar arrangement was scheduled for the iPhone 4 launch," the report said.

It also added that Best Buy Mobile managers are scheduled to have a meeting to discuss release dates for major new products.

Both reports come on the heels of a rumor from Japan which claims that two manufacturers have begun assembling the so-called "iPhone 5." Foxconn is said to be responsible for 85 percent of the assembly, while Pegatron has a 15 percent share.

That report suggested that the next iPhone will arrive by early October in the U.S., with other territories to follow.

AppleInsider reported in August that Apple's long-time advertising agency TBWA/Chiat Day has begun work on a television spots for the smartphone, which will reportedly finish up in early October. Several other reports have also pointed to an October release.

The next iPhone is expected to sport the same A5 processor found in the iPad 2, as well as a new high-resolution 8-megapixel camera. Some third party cases have suggested the device will be thinner with curved sides and a flat back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
  • Reply 2 of 36
    If AI keeps publishing the same rumor, does it make it more true?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    This has been on macrumors all day...
  • Reply 4 of 36
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Which is better - the endless (sometimes fun and sometimes tedious) speculation based upon dodgy daily rumors as to the exact date of the new iPhone release, or the surprise when it happens (we all know it will be Sept / Oct)?

Which is better - the (fun) trickle release of new OS features leading to an inevitable letdown when it appears, or the delight and surprise when it is released sans prior insight?

It's a tough one
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Which is better - the endless (sometimes fun and sometimes tedious) speculation based upon dodgy daily rumors as to the exact date of the new iPhone release, or the surprise when it happens (we all know it will be Sept / Oct)?

Which is better - the (fun) trickle release of new OS features leading to an inevitable letdown when it appears, or the delight and surprise when it is released sans prior insight?

It's a tough one

I kind of like both, the speculation and the trickle of new features. Especially since I'm now eligible for an upgrade from my current iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalpen View Post

This has been on macrumors all day...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The memo suggests that pre-sales for the new iPhone could begin soon, which an "expected" launch in the first week of October.

i don't understand why appleinsider often publishes rumors later than the other rumor sites. but i know it's definitely not because they're spending more time proof-reading their, uh, articles.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I kind of like both, the speculation and the trickle of new features. Especially since I'm now eligible for an upgrade from my current iPhone.

Is there any evidence that AT&T is going to have an early upgrade schedule like with the last launch? I don't hit 2 years for a looking time...
  • Reply 8 of 36
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Let's hope no one finds the prototype before the october event. I'm pretty stoked and am waiting for 3.7 inch retina display along with ram and (would be totally awesome) minimum storage starting at 32. I think it's about time. Let's hear it for 128GB iPod Touch that replaces the classic.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is there any evidence that AT&T is going to have an early upgrade schedule like with the last launch? I don't hit 2 years for a looking time...

I haven't heard anything about any US carrier offering early upgrades yet. My wife (the primary line) has been eligible since June (18 months into our 24 month contract) and my upgrade date was showing Sept 9 (3 months early) until last week. I checked on Aug 29, and the Apple site said I was eligible, so I'm waiting with bated breath.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Let's hope no one finds the prototype before the october event. I'm pretty stoked and am waiting for 3.7 inch retina display along with ram and (would be totally awesome) minimum storage starting at 32. I think it's about time. Let's hear it for 128GB iPod Touch that replaces the classic.

1) I'm thinking the event will fall in mid-September.

2) I don't think 3.7" makes much sense. If they were going increase the display size to 3.7" doing it when they doubled the resolution would have been ideal. I think keeping the 3.5" and adding a ≈4" display option makes a lot more sense at this stage.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) I don't think 3.7" makes much sense. If they were going increase the display size to 3.7" doing it when they doubled the resolution would have been ideal. I think keeping the 3.5" and adding a ≈4" display option makes a lot more sense at this stage.

I HIGHLY doubt they'll introduce a cost "friendly" 128 GB iTouch when the 64GB model is 400.I mean flash is expensive.....
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:

Yea sorry, I got a brain poop there calling it the october event.

A 4 inch would be cool too. The only thing I know is that 3.5 feels small nowadays. I feel like I have an iPhone nano sometimes when I lay it next to a 4.3 Android phone. However I don't know what the ideal screen size is, as 4.3 seems a bit much for a phone. At the same time the Samsung note looks pretty awesome (of course that size is pretty niche so I don't see apple ever going into a 5 inch territory). I guess I'm confused about what screen size I want, but I definitely want it bigger and keep retina resolution on it.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:

A 4 inch would be cool too. The only thing I know is that 3.5 feels small nowadays. I feel like I have an iPhone nano sometimes when I lay it next to a 4.3 Android phone. However I don't know what the ideal screen size is, as 4.3 seems a bit much for a phone. At the same time the Samsung note looks pretty awesome. I guess I'm confused about what screen size I want, but I definitely want a retina resolution on it.

In general, I don't think the 4.x" displays on current Android phones are appealing to women. I also wonder if it's appealing to those who have a more professional need and want something that is more easily pocketable.

I know I want a bigger display, but I also don't want a bigger device in order to get the larger display. I deal with that issue every time I buy a new MBP. So far I've continued to purchase the 13".
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:

In general, I don't think the 4.x" displays on current Android phones are appealing to women. I also wonder if it's appealing to those who have a more professional need and want something that is more easily pocketable.

I know I want a bigger display, but I also don't want a bigger device in order to get the larger display. I deal with that issue every time I buy a new MBP. So far I've continued to purchase the 13".

Yea that is the reason I was kinda leaning towards 3.7, to make it usable for as many people as possible while increasing the size. I know someone who uses a 4 inch android and she says she's ok with it, but she does not hold it in her palm. It's a half grip holding half a phone with a fist facing sideways rather than down. So it's usable, just not as sturdy.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

Yea that is the reason I was kinda leaning towards 3.7, to make it usable for as many people as possible while increasing the size. I know someone who uses a 4 inch android and she says she's ok with it, but she does not hold it in her palm. It's a half grip holding half a phone with a fist facing sideways rather than down. So it's usable, just not as sturdy.

Don't forget... a 4" Android phone is practically the same width as a 3.5" iPhone... because of the different Android aspect ratio.

It's a little taller, but still manageable. And Android's extra screen real-estate is nice.

The iPhone could stand to grow a little bit... and still not be uncomfortable to hold.

• Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Don't forget... a 4" Android phone is practically the same width as a 3.5" iPhone... because of the different Android aspect ratio.

It's a little taller, but still manageable. And Android's extra screen real-estate is nice.

The iPhone could stand to grow a little bit... and still not be uncomfortable to hold.

That's a good point though I have doubts Apple would introduce a new aspect ratio to their iPhone line. To me that seems too extreme even there are clear benefits for being able to increase display length without increasing device length by shortening the top and bottom casing.

For reference, the iPhone's 3.5" display is 1.94" wide, while a 4" display, maintaining the same aspect ratio, would be 2.22" wide. That's 0.28" wider. Even if we reduce the casing on the side and make it thinner toward the bottom where your palm holds it will still likely feel larger. It may even make one hand thumb typing more difficult for many users.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

That's a good point though I have doubts Apple would introduce a new aspect ratio to their iPhone line. To me that seems too extreme even there are clear benefits for being able to increase display length without increasing device length by shortening the top and bottom casing.

For reference, the iPhone's 3.5" display is 2.91" wide, while a 4" display, maintaining the same aspect ratio, would be 3.33" wide. That's 0.42" wider. Even if we reduce the casing on the side and make it thinner toward the bottom where your palm holds it will still likely feel larger. It may even make one hand thumb typing more difficult for many users.

Yeah... Apple won't change the screen ratio.... but they should make the whole screen bigger.

I hope they do... even just a little bit. It's becoming a little cramped these days...
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah... Apple won't change the screen ratio.... but they should make the whole screen bigger.

I hope they do... even just a little bit. It's becoming a little cramped these days...

This has been floating around but I don't quite understand some of the details.
    PS: Fixed measurements on previous post.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

This has been floating around but I don't quite understand some of the details.

Looks like samsung is in trouble once again if this is true. The home buttons look nearly identical.

• Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:

Looks like samsung is in trouble once again if this is true. The home buttons look nearly identical.

No, it is not in trouble. Samsung's phone is already out and basicaly we know s..t about the upcoming iPhone. Maybe Apple will be in trouble when the iPhone 5 is released.