Two powerbook G4 questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have two questions about the 15" G4 powerbooks. Does anyone know what the acceptable gap space range is between the monitor and keyboard is when closed? Mine is on the left side about 1mm and the right appears to be about 3 to 4mm. Should I send this in to see if they can fix it? I have only had it since December 16. The other question I have is that when I am moving the cursor across the screen, if I am in a document, it starts to highlight and I haven't clicked or anything. If I am on the desktop, it starts making a box. What is going on? I was told that it probably is a stuck trackpad is this true? Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I did send it once and it didn't seem to have even been worked on even though the repair slip says they replaced a bezel. Thanks for reading my questions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    No idea on the gaps, but maybe can help with the trackpad issues.

Go into system preferences. Under keyboard/mouse, make sure your trackpad settings are set right. You may have all of the settings check to work by accident. You have 3 different options i believe for the trackpad. I'd suggest trying the different settings and seeing what each does.

I'd suggest also making sure accidental trackpad touching is ignored is checked. Hope it helps
  • Reply 2 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    IT'S FINE! Stop being a nancy and just use your powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

IT'S FINE! Stop being a nancy and just use your powerbook.

I am not a nancy. I think if you had just made such a big investment, as I did that you too would be concerned. Your comment was not helpful to my situation. It has taught me one thing though, I don't think I will be visiting this site anymore. I thought it was supposed to be people offering each other helpful and I stress helpful advice, not criticism. I am sorry you feel I am a nancy, but I don't believe where I just barely got it that I should just shut up and take whatever someone gives me even if it is flawed. We pay such big prices, we have the right to expect and get quality. I have had only Apple computers and have been happy until now. To tell me to be quiet about these issues is wrong and I do not believe if it were you that you would just be quiet.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    So did you fix the trackpad?

Don't take any of it personal HHansen, most people just love their Macs so much that any minor complaint tends to ruffle our/their feathers. For the most part I find the info on this site leads to a fix 99% of the time.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    the gap is fine, the problem with your trackpad is something that happens on all trackpads, supposedly you're supposed to type with your palms not on the keyboard once one dell rep told me hehe. I know it may seem odd, but you see the latch screen locks on one side so the strain on one side is a little greater than the other. I hear the Al also have a pretty wide gap. Mess with your settings in system preferences for your trackpad till you get used to them. Eventually you get used to it. I've found that if you mess with the key repeat rate it helps a little, but maybe I'm just convincing myself
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I do take it personally. I love my Apple comps as much as anyone. My PowerMac G3 has not ever had any problems. I have always bought Apple. I sent my brand new powerbook in for repair today. I hope everything will go alright. So here is the nancy signing off.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    HHansen: Don't take the man so seriously. After all, Scott has the "Royal Pain in the Ass" suffix for a reason. The ironic undertone of a lot of posts here is in part what makes this place so great. There are a lot more forums dealing with all matters Mac, but not all of them have as many memorable (and generally amusing) characters that we have here at AI. Yes Murbot, you big hunk of raw, untamed canadian humour, I am looking at you. So HHansen, don't leave because we are strange, learn to love us for what we are...