First photos from Apple's WWDC emphasize Leopard focus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Okay, game over, Steve Jobs and the iPhone are a lock for the cover of Time magazine in December for Man of the Year.

The question is, just what "secret features" will we find out about on Monday from the WWDC conference?

I get the feeling a lot of people will be talking about the "Vista Killer" OS next week.

Bring on the iPod killers, bring on the iPhone killers, bring on the Leopard killers, ooops the next version of Windows won't be out for another 5 or 6 years...

Al

ajhill is online now Report Post \tEdit/Delete Message
  • Reply 22 of 84
    While those banners are quite nice, I can't help but feel that they're setting us up to hear that the secret features Steve was talking about are ZFS and more behind-the-scenes/under-the-hood stuff.

Admittedly, ZFS is very cool and would meld nicely with Time Machine, but I don't see that being a "gotta have it" feature.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    max_naylormax_naylor Posts: 194member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by system6 View Post

An image of the Sun is central in all those banners... I can't help but feel there's some connection with Solaris, more than just ZFS.

It?s not the sun. It?s a galaxy. Spiral type Sa by the look of it. Sorry, I just had to.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EagerDragon View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I don't know about this whole leopards in space theme. Sounds like a b-movie from the 1950's.

Can a cat survive in space?

It can if it's a mutant. Mutant cats from outer space!
  • Reply 25 of 84
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Wouldn't that be nice? Solaris has always been a leader in multi-threaded and multi-processor (now I guess multi-core). Moving to Solaris kernel with OSX desktop would be really nice...now that McNealy is out of the picture (thank goodness) close cooperation between the two companies is possible.

Vinea

If they replaced Mach with Solaris' kernal, wouldn't they have to make some changes to the API's? I can't imagine that the kernals are inter-changable.

I can see it now, Apple telling all their developers, who have just finished porting to Intel: "Good news, we have a great new kernal, now get out there and recompile your apps. In some cases it's just checking a box before compiling, others will require some more work, and some will require a massive re-write."

If Apple was going to change kernals I would think they would have done it with the processor change. Can you imagine what Adobe's reaction would be to this little bomb shell at WWDC
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmf View Post

In the 3rd picture .... the icon that's at 11:20 (Analog) from the Time Machine icon. What is it?

Is it the New XCode Logo ?

Karl

One could almost be forgiven for thinking it is a TARDIS (time machine) but it isnt. That would just be too wierd ... unless ... unless Jobs has actually succeded in driving the Apple Devs to construct a real live working time machine, already gone back in time and killed bill gates, stopped steve ballmers parents from ever getting it on and .. nah, he wont have done that YET he will announce his retirement from the industry, before stepping into the time machine, and dissappear in a temporal flash, the world will flicker as he completes the afformentioned tasks, and he will return on stage, as now (that our perceptions will have shifted to take account of his time travelling actions) APPL shares will be at a gazzillion dollars per share and we will never have heard of google, but instead use Apple search. Thus we will all greet him as the true time travelling god he is.. or will be.. or was.. back in the past.. or like .. whatever.. WOW look at all the pretty colours!

boy im hungery, where are the cookies?
  • Reply 27 of 84
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmf View Post

In the 3rd picture .... the icon that's at 11:20 (Analog) from the Time Machine icon. What is it?

Is it the New XCode Logo ?

Karl

If you mean the blue thing, it looks like Dr. Whos' Tardis.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmf;

I love the new Finder
  • Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I love the new Finder

What?? Where??
  • Reply 30 of 84
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Now that I think about it a little more though (and as I watch these videos on Jonathan Schwartz's Blog further driving me to believe that Solaris in Mac OS X makes no sense) that Sun in the middle of the X really does make sense. Space represents Time Machine (and Spaces) and ZFS is the new default file system so it's more like the core of Time Machine which is the largest application in Leopard.

Sebastian

Interesting sci-fi angle on Leopard... and in the recent Jobs+Gates talk (available thru iTunes) Jobs said, "just give me Star Trek"... or something like that.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    Quote:

Now that's a good one, it made it sound like my jokes were actually worth laughing at. You had me worried for a minute.

Hmmm... well let's take a look.

WebObjects is written in Java, Java is [already] depreciated in Xcode, and Leopard will have ZFS.

That's the only connections I see.

I will not say Solaris will replace the current Kernel because I would have to discard it as bull, but I will say that Steve was at D5 talking about how he wished Apple had more in it's DNA to partner with other companies, and then proceed to point out that Apple is partnering with AT&T, Yahoo, and Google with iPhone. They also recently released an Open Source Project on MacOSForge called BridgeSupport which appears to be aimed at adding more language support to Cocoa by bridging them the way they bridged Java.

Sun recently announced that it is going to help port OpenOffice.org to Mac OS X, and Apple also announced DTrace in Xcode 3.

Now that I think about it a little more though (and as I watch these videos on Jonathan Schwartz's Blog further driving me to believe that Solaris in Mac OS X makes no sense) that Sun in the middle of the X really does make sense. Space represents Time Machine (and Spaces) and ZFS is the new default file system so it's more like the core of Time Machine which is the largest application in Leopard.

Sebastian

Unless, of course, Apple buys Sun. Not an impossible thought. The synergies would be great.

Sun's market value is about $9.7 billion.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Unless, of course, Apple buys Sun. Not an impossible thought. The synergies would be great.

Sun's market value is about $9.7 billion.

Their stock is currently undervalued isn't it?
  • Reply 34 of 84
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Their stock is currently undervalued isn't it?

I think so. The company has been doing well as of late.

You remember my Apple/Google/ Sun idea?

I really think this makes sense. When Apple was in the doldrums, Sun was considered to be the ideal buyer. It still works the other way around.

I can see such an advantage to this, even without Google, that I could go on for pages (which, thankfully, I won't do).

The OSes are close enough in numerous ways that a general merger of ideas would work.

It would give Apple the enterprise muscle. They would have the upgrade paths they don't have now. They would have the support and sales division they don't have now. They could keep the Sun division operating the way they do now for enterprise, while keeping the consumer, and professional divisions operating the way they do now, eliminating the arguments against buying Apple in the enterprise.

It would give them StarOffice, the daddy of OpenOffice.

It would give Sun the number of machines, and larger markets it needs to be able to afford deeper OS development. As Sun is moving to x86, and with Apple now on it as well, that one problem that existed in the past when this was suggested, is fast disappearing.

While without Google, it wouldn't be as powerful, it would still give MS its first real major opponent in a long while.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

What?? Where??

Looks like all your files and apps will be floating through space, you mush get to your spaceship to find what you are looking for..
  • Reply 37 of 84
    Quote:

Haha... I forgot about that... of course he was talking about the new iTeleport that Bill Gates "accidently" revealed.

I considered that... and the other way around, and dismissed both thoughts.

It's not impossible, it's doable, but how great would the synergies be with Sun pushing Storage Container data centers and Apple pushing Macbooks?

Second thought, I'm not dismissing anything. I just finished reading "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs" and should know better by now.

Sebastian

The synergies come about because Sun exists on the high end, and Apple, on the low ent. There is almost no overlap. That's what is great about it.

Both companies have somewhat of a maverick outlook. Their engineering departments, in both hardware and software, get along well.

Both companies are innovative in their software development. Sun has contributed at least as much as Apple has in software.

Upper management also seem to admire each other.

A merger, or buyout, would allow Apple to move upwards, and allow Sun to move downwards.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    Quote:

A merger, or buyout, would allow Apple to move upwards, and allow Sun to move downwards.

I read an article about the new CEO at Sun, he's a supergeek like Woz (without the annoying parts) and would be a great asset at Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:

The synergies come about because Sun exists on the high end, and Apple, on the low ent. There is almost no overlap. That's what is great about it.

Both companies have somewhat of a maverick outlook. Their engineering departments, in both hardware and software, get along well.

Both companies are innovative in their software development. Sun has contributed at least as much as Apple has in software.

Sun are a major player in the server industry right? Apple could be too if they bought them out. I really like how Apple is friends with the Goog too, the future could hold some good things for these three companies if they can play nice.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

I don't know about this whole leopards in space theme. Sounds like a b-movie from the 1950's.

What did you think the Time Machine was for?