Pictures of Apple-branded 3cm-by-3cm touchscreen surface

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Pictures of a mysterious, tiny display, measuring just 3cm by 3 cm and branded as an Apple part, are claimed to be a small touchscreen that could find its way into one of the company's future products.

The pictures came from Taiwanese blog Apple.pro, which speculated that the screen could be used in an "iPod touch nano," "iPod touch shuffle," or a wristbound product it dubbed "iWatch." As the part is simply the display and no other hardware, it is unknown whether it is actually a touchscreen, or just a small LCD display.

Apple's current iPod nano has a display that measures diagonally 2.2 inches (nearly 5.6 centimeters), larger than the purported Apple part shown in pictures.

Recently, Apple.pro has obtained a number of legitimate Apple parts before the final product was released. The blog showed off the white panel for the then-unannounced iPhone 4 in May, and also offered a look at the battery inside the iPhone 4 in June.

And in 2008, the blog posted photos of the new unibody enclosure of Apple's redesigned MacBook Pro before it was released.

But also in 2008, the site posted photos of an alleged aluminum 13-inch MacBook casing which proved to be false. And in 2009, the blog claimed that Apple was working on a 15-inch MacBook Air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    I hope it's for fingerprint ID. With a bit of cunning, we can say goodbye to passwords.

At last.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    beklimbeklim Posts: 8member
    Some are speculating in that it is actually a display for a future Apple TV remote.

Time will tell I guess. I actually have no idea what it might be good for other than what has already been posted.
  • Reply 3 of 105
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    I would buy an iWatch. I imagine it would be called iTime or something like that though.
  • Reply 4 of 105
    alfscatsalfscats Posts: 4member
    That's about the right size for 4 icons on an iPhone. that would be pretty sweet on a new nano-fied Nano. I'd assume none of the normal apps would work, but even if it just controlled the iPod, a clock, and Nike+, I think I'd be a winner. Wonder if they'd just keep all the controls on the headphones or keep a button or two on the body...
  • Reply 5 of 105
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    Copyright 2009? So it's not completely new. It's been around for a while or so.
  • Reply 6 of 105
    I'd buy an iWatch

maybe it could sync with my calendar besides having world time zones and that's about it, can't ask for more on such a small and energy efficient device like all watches must be
  • Reply 7 of 105
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    iPhone nano? A small Apple flip-phone. No web or apps other than contacts, calendar, and music player. It would address one of my biggest complaints with non-smart phones, the ability to easily sync contacts, appts, and music with your computer. Apple already has all the pieces in place for that in iTunes.

At that size, if it was a touch screen, about the only thing it would be good for is scrolling, not for selecting things on the screen. But that would be a navigation advantage over today's non-smart phones and eliminate the need for a scroll wheel.
  • Reply 8 of 105
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chaosbringer View Post

I'd buy an iWatch

maybe it could sync with my calendar besides having world time zones and that's about it, can't ask for more on such a small and energy efficient device like all watches must be

The world is waiting for Apple to bring a notification system to the lock screen.

Perhaps they are going to bring notifications to a watch screen?

C.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Solar for under glass backs.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beklim View Post

Some are speculating in that it is actually a display for a future Apple TV remote.

Bingo. Not just @TV, but for all Apple products, and a universal remote.
  • Reply 11 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Solar for under glass backs.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I think they did have a patent for that as well - a screen with built-in solar cells.

That would be amazing.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    This is for the Magic Keyboard
  • Reply 13 of 105
    davidadavida Posts: 57member
    A square display suggests to me it's not for a nano, or any other device intended to display content. I think it's just for navigation.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greekmango View Post

I hope it's for fingerprint ID. With a bit of cunning, we can say goodbye to passwords.

At last.

See, thats a bad thing, and only a modern geek would find digital fingerprinting yourself to be cooler than it is dangerous.

damnit all
  • Reply 15 of 105
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

This is for the Magic Keyboard

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't they just put in a patent for touch enabled "invisible" buttons on a MacBook?

I doubt it's for a TV remote. Touch sucks when there is a disconnect between the touch device and the screen. They need a Wiimote clone if they want to bring "touch" to the big screen.

EDIT:

Here we go.

Apple exploring invisible buttons

• Reply 16 of 105
    Oh my GOD! It's a TRICORDER!
  • Reply 17 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

I would buy an iWatch. I imagine it would be called iTime or something like that though.

The problem with watches are they are no longer cool. But the main problem for Apple is that if they were to make an electronic product that straps to the wrist it'd be an iPod, and the problem with that is because of its location your earphones would need to be wireless - but battery technology isn't yet good enough for it to last long enough to justify it as a product.

Other than those issue the idea of a small, wrist-bound touch-screen iPod sounds very useful. Especially when you think about it as an athletes iPod.

iPod run
  • Reply 18 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Pictures of a mysterious, tiny display, measuring just 3cm by 3 cm and branded as an Apple part, are claimed to be a small touchscreen that could find its way into one of the company's future products.

Oh my GOD! It's a TRICORDER!
  • Reply 19 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I doubt it's for a TV remote. Touch sucks when there is a disconnect between the touch device and the screen.

God forbid they start going there with their remotes. As it stands their current remote is actually lacking buttons. It might be interesting if the remote just displayed some useful info on it though. That said it doesn't look likely, 'cause battery life would suck.
  • Reply 20 of 105
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beklim View Post

Time will tell I guess. I actually have no idea what it might be good for other than what has already been posted.

That's what I was thinking. It controls your AppleTV or Mac Mini in Front Row mode. The display normally looks and works just like a scroll wheel or the current Apple Remote, but if you are using your TV for the internet, or even to search for TV shows, it allows you to enter text for search, URL's, passwords etc..

Sure, 3cm x 3 cm is too small for a Qwerty keyboard, the iPhone's display is 5cm wide. Use an iPhone style KeyPad to enter alphanumeric text.

Remember, unlike a conventional phone, where you have to push the "G" button twice to get "H", 3 times to get "I", on a touch screen you push "G", and then "H" and "I" appear and you slide up for "H" and right for "I".

Who knows, it may even include a tiny camera so you can Face Time over your TV?