Accessory concept for new iPod shuffle

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hola everyone! Check out our accessory concept for the (perhaps) new iPod shuffle:

More info at our blog. Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    OMG... I just figured out the new Nano.

What if the square thing we're seeing were to take dock "modules" that provide additional functionality, and turn the form-factor of the device into a candy-bar in the process? You could add a camera module, a Nike+ module, a click wheel module, additional storage, additional battery, WiFi?

Totally customizable, Apple could sell the simple player for less than the current model, and Apple would sell a million of those "module" things, bringing total sales way way up.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Here, it took me a while but...

Sorry for using your original sketch for this.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    The wrist-watch idea doesn't work when you have to attach headphones as your arms swing too much. I guess you could attach the cable to your arm but I don't think it would work.

I like the idea of the shuffle being a small module with a screen that turns into a Nano with accessories but I doubt Apple would do this.

They'd lose the screen size of the Nano, which can be used to watch movies (already poorly), they lose space for batteries, electronics etc.

I think the low-end iPod lineup is totally wrong. The shuffle without a screen is way overpriced for what it does and the morse-code signalling to get it to do anything is not Apple simplicity. It works in various scenarios but to be the only way of controlling it is not good.

The Nano with the camera is a novel idea but the screen is still too small to be practical with the click-wheel in the way.

I'd like to see them make a touch screen Nano with the resolution of the old iPhone but with a screen that has the aspect of the iPhone in the Nano size - it kind of has the same aspect already but they could make it 2.7". You basically chop off the click-wheel and make it a bigger screen. The home button would go on the top of the device.

The Nano starts at £118 and the iPod Touch is £152. It seems like the Nano is far too expensive for the functionality. If they make a £99 Touch Nano, I think they can even drop the Shuffle. People will pay more for app capability and then Apple can move away from legacy iPod support and go iOS only.

Icon view would have maybe 4 icons and two in the dock (iPod + camera or something). 4GB and 8GB sizes (£99 and £129).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    plaiplai Posts: 8member
    Cool ideas all around! I'd imagine at least using some sort of bluetooth headphones if i ever wore some sort of watch music player.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    There is a rumour here about an accessory:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/m...on-ipod-touch/

It seems odd to me that they'd go for such a small, perfectly square display because it would be terrible for all media and touch. No pictures are square, no movies are square and 3x3cm could almost be obscured by your thumb.

For people with an iPhone, it's basically the top left 4 icons of the icon view in a square. I think that's too small. It's fine to have it two icons wide but the screen should be more than 3cm. 4cm x 6cm would be more usable - this would be a 2.8" screen and equivalent to just under 3 icons on an iphone display wide and 4 icons tall. Basically tip the iPhone sideways and use the first two rows but put the bottom two icons in a Dock and have a status bar, which would reduce the space to give room for 6 icons but still plenty of touch space and fine for movies.

Part of me thinks this must be how they found the leak in the company. The manager who was leaking product info to manufacturers was arrested and maybe they found out because he leaked wrong information about the new products. On the other hand, every time I think a rumour can't be true, I remember iPod fatty \.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Looks like apple is releasing a multi touch 3cm by 3cm iPod nano. Interesting to say the least. Here's an expanded concept of the above image: