Intel's new Sandy Bridge processors hacked to run Apple's Mac OS X

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Before Intel formally unveils its next-generation of processors, likely to officially find their way into Apple's line of Macs in the future, hackers have managed to run Apple's Mac OSX on the new Sandy Bridge CPU hardware.

The Consumer Electronics Show this week marks the official introduction of Intel's newly redesigned processors, which are the first to combine visual and 3D graphics technology along with microprocessors on the same chip. The product line, codenamed "Sandy Bridge," features newly architected Intel HD Graphics on each 32nm die for significant performance improvements over previous generation graphics.

While Intel's latest family of chips, featuring a major redesign, will inevitably arrive in future Macs from Apple, hackers this week wasted no time to install Mac OS X on a Sandy Bridge processor. As noted by Engadget, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard was installed onto a "Hackintosh" machine running the Intel Core i5-2500K CPU, with a clock speed of 3.30GHz.

The system, running Snow Leopard, achieved a Geekbench Score of 8874 and an Xbench score of 282.40, boosted in part by 6MB of L3 cache in the Sandy Bridge chip. The feat was achieved by utilizing a patched kernel, and the process was detailed by the blog tonymacx86 after Intel lifted their non-disclosure agreement for those with early access to the new processors.

"Until Apple uses these CPUs, it's a bit of a science experiment, as you'll need to use a 'patched' non-standard Darwin kernel in order to boot the system," the blog reads.

While Intel is prepared to officially unveil its second-generation Core processor family during CES Press Day on Wednesday, the company did issue a press release earlier this week touting some of the features of its newly redesigned line of chips. The chipmaker said more than 500 desktop and laptop PCs are expected from all major computer manufacturers throughout 2011.

"The new 2nd Generation Intel Core processors represent the biggest advance in computing performance and capabilities over any other previous generation," said Mooly Eden, vice president and general manager, PC Client Group, Intel. "The built-in visual capabilities enabled by these new processors are stunning. This combined with improved adaptive performance will revolutionize the PC experience in a way that is obvious for every user to see and appreciate ? visibly smarter performance."

New features include Intel Insider, Intel Quick Sync Video, and a new version of the company's award-winning Intel Wireless Display (WiDi), which now adds 1080p HD and content protection for those wishing to beam premium HD content from their laptop screen to their TV. The company also revealed arrangements with CinemaNow, Dixons Retail plc, Hungama Digital Media Entertainment, Image Entertainment, Sonic Solutions, and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution.

In December, a rumor claimed that Apple would release new MacBooks in 2011 that will rely on Intel's Sandy Bridge processor family, which could mean that Nvidia graphics solutions will not be included in at least some models 13 inches and under. It has been suggested that MacBook models with screen sizes 13 inches and under will have Intel Sandy Bridge-only graphics, while Apple's larger, higher-end MacBooks with screen sizes of 15 and 17 inches will allegedly rely on GPUs from AMD.

Starting in 2010 with its Arrandale processors, Intel began building in the major northbridge chipset memory controller components to its chips. The architectural changes in Arrandale, along with a lawsuit, forced Nvidia to halt the development of future chipsets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I think Intel changed their plans and officially released them early, 2 days ago. I can even buy them in the shops as of today (the 2300, 2400 and 2600 only).

These chips are surely destined for the MBP very soon.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    I would love to replace my desk work machine, a 3 year old 17" Mac Book Pro 2.5 GHz C2D, (pre-unibody) with a new 27" iMac running one of these new i7s and SSD.

Now that there are very capable small portable machines available, I could use a much faster, and a much larger-screened, workstation on my desk which can be stationary, attractive, and cleaner than having a big PC, or cleaner than a Laptop + Monitor combo that takes up more room and never needs to move.
  • Reply 3 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fixmdude View Post

I would love to replace my desk work machine, a 3 year old 17" Mac Book Pro 2.5 GHz C2D, (pre-unibody) with a new 27" iMac running one of these new i7s and SSD.

Now that there are very capable small portable machines available, I could use a much faster, and a much larger-screened, workstation on my desk which can be stationary, attractive, and cleaner than having a big PC, and cleaner than a Laptop + Monitor combo that takes up more room and never needs to move.

thats what i used to think. let's see, my 17" mbp with 4gig ram and 2.66 c2d cost over 4 thousand. divide by 3 and get my cost per year. uggh.

and my 24" imac. cost 3 thousand all said. runs like sh*t with 10.5.6 compared to my dell with ubuntu.

os x is the new windows. bloated and a pain. even itunes and safari updates are requiring a reboot now. stupid.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

thats what i used to think. let's see, my 17" mbp with 4gig ram and 2.66 c2d cost over 4 thousand. divide by 3 and get my cost per year. uggh.

and my 24" imac. cost 3 thousand all said. runs like sh*t with 10.5.6 compared to my dell with ubuntu.

os x is the new windows. bloated and a pain. even itunes and safari updates are requiring a reboot now. stupid.

I agree with your OS evaluation, I am only commenting on the nice hardware. I actually run Bootcamp Windows on my Mac hardware because I need Windows to support work software. The Mac hardware is the nicest option now that SSD is available. I built a PC last year because I needed SSD and fast i7, and it was much faster than the iMac at the time, but unreliable, and bulky compared to the new iMac that now finally has faster i7 and SSD.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Not sure where you're buying from, but you're getting ripped off, even if those figures were in pounds they're expensive. I'm running an i7 27" iMac with 8 Gigs of ram for a grand less than the figure you've quoted above, and my 24" was less than 1700 similarly 'top spec' at the time. These figures in pounds, including VAT. And a 17" macbook pro has never cost that much - 4000 - are you crazy?!

OSX runs incredible quickly and is very stable - check your machine for issues.

Safari uses webkit, which is at the core of the operating system, Safari updates have always required a restart. I suspect you don't understand as much about computing as your rant would have us believe. My 24" iMacs are running snow leopard, and are performing incredibly well - best check your system and see what you've done to mess it up.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    I never understand how these people manage to do this without the source code.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The Geekbench score of 8874 means absolutely nothing to me without a reference point.

I guess I could quit being lazy and just mosey on over to Geekbench, huh? \
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Not sure where you're buying from, but you're getting ripped off, even if those figures were in pounds they're expensive. I'm running an i7 27" iMac with 8 Gigs of ram for a grand less than the figure you've quoted above, and my 24" was less than 1700 similarly 'top spec' at the time. These figures in pounds, including VAT. And a 17" macbook pro has never cost that much - 4000 - are you crazy?!

OSX runs incredible quickly and is very stable - check your machine for issues.

Safari uses webkit, which is at the core of the operating system, Safari updates have always required a restart. I suspect you don't understand as much about computing as your rant would have us believe. My 24" iMacs are running snow leopard, and are performing incredibly well - best check your system and see what you've done to mess it up.

of course yours runs perfect! i must have done something wrong!

here is the price of a 17" mbp that isn't even top end. it has 8 gig of ram (4 gig of ram was absolute top when i bought mine) and the mid priced processor (mine was the fastest they sold at the time)

$3,317.00 with apple care

and now add the tax.

so shove it you know nothing.

and the absolute top end 17" mbp with sd costs: $4,817.00 plus tax

so i guess your ' a 17" macbook pro has never cost that much' shows that YOU don't know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

of course yours runs perfect! i must have done something wrong!

here is the price of a 17" mbp that isn't even top end. it has 8 gig of ram (4 gig of ram was absolute top when i bought mine) and the mid priced processor (mine was the fastest they sold at the time)

$3,317.00 with apple care

and now add the tax.

so shove it you know nothing.

and the absolute top end 17" mbp with sd costs: $4,817.00 plus tax

so i guess your ' a 17" macbook pro has never cost that much' shows that YOU don't know what you are talking about.

The troll is strong in this one.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The Geekbench score of 8874 means absolutely nothing to me without a reference point.

I guess I could quit being lazy and just mosey on over to Geekbench, huh? \

My Mac Book Pro 2.5 GHz C2D running windows gets 3400, but the slow hard drive is what makes it crawl.

My home-built PC with 6-core i7 Extreme 3.4 GHz gets over 12,000, but cost $3400 in parts (with SSD) and is bulky and has an unreliable brandname top of the line ASUS motherboard that locks up if you touch a key or the mouse while its in the process of being put to sleep. Replacing the M/B and OS made no difference. (And it doesn't have the nice 27" screen.)
  • Reply 11 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

no, just someone who has gotten out of the 'reality distortion field'.

and to continue, not only do you pay more for the new imac's but they don't even have the top end chipset that supports tri-channel ram. you pay premium price for second place dual channel.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It has been suggested that MacBook models with screen sizes 13 inches and under will have Intel Sandy Bridge-only graphics, while Apple's larger, higher-end MacBooks with screen sizes of 15 and 17 inches will allegedly rely on GPUs from AMD.

That would be awesome! As long as they move on from Core 2 I think I will be happy.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

I never understand how these people manage to do this without the source code.

A poopton of trial and error? Maybe an emulator of some sort? I'm not strong in coding, but that is how it is generally done in science if you don't know how the whole works, but know how some parts of it work.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:

My Mac Book Pro 2.5 GHz C2D running windows gets 3400, but the slow hard drive is what makes it crawl.

my home-built PC with 6-core i7 Extreme 3.4 GHz gets over 12,000, but cost $3400 in parts (with SSD) and is bulky and has an unreliable brandname top of the line ASUS motherboard that locks up if you touch a key or the mouse while its in the process of being put to sleep. Replacing the M/B made no difference. (And it doesn't have the nice 27" screen.)

you can't beat the 27" led display from apple. no one that i can find makes a glossy 27" and the only 27" that handles the high resolution is the 27" LCD from Dell which costs more!?

i have to give apple props on that one.

ASUS has traditionally been the top MB maker for diy. if you got a bad one update the bios or send it back?

sorry, just saw you said replacing made no difference. very strange. diy isn't for everyone.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Yes, screamingfist is one of the shriller trolls on AI.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Slightly off topic but I wonder if the next generation MBPs will have 1 and 2 TB drives as a BTO or even as a post sale upgrade? I really need more than the .5 TB that is standard in my MBP i7 but Apple politely told me that if I upgrade myself using a 3rd party larger drive I will invalidate my warranty as the late 2010 models are NOT user upgradeable where HDs are concerned unlike earlier MBPs (and I assume I'd screw the extended warranty too). Meanwhile Apple I am told have nothing larger than a .5 TB drive! Anyone know a way around this please tell me.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Slightly off topic but I wonder if the next generation MBPs will have 1 and 2 TB drives as a BTO or even as a post sale upgrade? I really need more than the .5 TB that is standard in my MBP i7 but Apple politely told me that if I upgrade myself using a 3rd party larger drive I will invalidate my warranty as the late 2010 models are NOT user upgradeable where HDs are concerned unlike earlier MBPs (and I assume I'd screw the extended warranty too). Meanwhile Apple I am told have nothing larger than a .5 TB drive! Anyone know a way around this please tell me.

Interesting. Do you need that much space and at full speed, or do you just need long-term storage space somewhere which is accessible from the laptop? I use a ReadyNas for network storage at home so I can use small fast SSD in my machine. http://www.buy.com/prod/netgear-rnd2...210477414.html

It can also be configured to be accessible over the Internet when you are out. That is the 2 bay version which can do RAID 0 or 1.

I use the 4-bay version with RAID5 so my files are always backed up reliably compared to only being on one machine's single hard drive.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

no, just someone who has gotten out of the 'reality distortion field'.

and to continue, not only do you pay more for the new imac's but they don't even have the top end chipset that supports tri-channel ram. you pay premium price for second place dual channel.

Then what AIO would you say is a better machine if not the iMac? And don?t say that consumers don?t have to buy an AIO, they know that, but they are choosing AIOs for a reason so that is a moot point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

That would be awesome! As long as they move on from Core 2 I think I will be happy.

It looks like it might be time for Apple to move to Sandy Bridge for their 13? machines. The only issue I see is the lack of OpenCL.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

but they don't even have the top end chipset that supports tri-channel ram. you pay premium price for second place dual channel.

I'm so fucked.

Do you even understand the shit you type?
  • Reply 20 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Interesting. Do you need that much space and at full speed, or do you just need long-term storage space somewhere which is accessible from the laptop? I use a ReadyNas for network storage at home so I can use small fast SSD in my machine. http://www.buy.com/prod/netgear-rnd2...210477414.html

It can also be configured to me accessible over the Internet when you are out. That is the 2 bay version, I use the 4-bay version. This method also allows my files to be reliably backed up at all times since my 4-bay ReadyNas is set to RAID5 mode.

When at home office I have many TBs of externals available and a MacPro with all bays full of 2TBs so I guess I am used to having elbow room . I find just having my current Aperture library, iLife and iTunes plus all my apps (as in those I use a lot) which includes FCPro Studio take up 80% of the .5TB so I would love to have at least a 1TB of internal standard storage. I don't need SSD speeds for my MBP. I simply had not realized there was no 1TB or higher internal for the MBP till I strolled into an Apple Store in Boston a few days ago.