Strong sales of iPhone 4S a precursor to 'monster' launch of redesigned 'iPhone 5'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 241
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How do you get that idea? Even your list shows it should be "5". You're making a joke, right?

His list doesn't show that. The only iPhone that was named directly for its generation was the iPhone 4.

The G1 iPhone was simple iPhone. The G2 iPhone was iPhone 3G denoting the generation of the baseband HW inside due to its common usage in marketing. The G3 iPhone with the same casing as the prior model kept this marketing tactic and added the 'S' for speed.

The iPhone 4 was for the 4th generation iPhone. The G5 iPhone added an 'S' which was never directly defined but followed the same pattern of the iPhone 3GS by being faster and keeping the same overall look as the previous model.

It therefore makes no sense for the G6 iPhone be called the iPhone 5 when nothing about it is 5th generation. Even iPhone 4G would make more sense than iPhone 5, but I'm betting on iPhone LTE at this point since LTE is more marketable and less confusing (even though customers don't know what it stands for), the chips should be decent in 2012, and even Sprint is deploying LTE this year. Really anything but iPhone 5 makes sense.

PS: You should retract your personal attack, Jonamac, or at least refer to the post, not the poster.
  • Reply 62 of 241
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[IMG]My target is $370 after the earnings call, but that's me.

Looking at the past it usually drops after the earnings call, so I agree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Here's an example: there are ≈4.5" 1280x720 Android phones... and there are ≈40" HDTVs with 1280x720 resolution. You still want to argue the dimensions of the elements wouldn't change? TIme for you to wake up.

Very true. Also, pixels are rectangular shaped on a TV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

...don't get wound up in the hype, it is a phone that sits in your pocket next to your best friend.

I love Americans! And your whole post is so true, spot on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

"94%" of iPhone users plan to upgrade. 94%!

The precision!

Would have been even funnier if they'd guestimated the number of people, and used a decimal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

And that makes it a P/E of, like, 10....

I hope it's just you.

Me too, if history is any proof

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Garamond View Post

Same here. 4S was never worth it for 4-owners, and it feels right to wait for iPhone 5

Many people get the iPhone 'cheapish' with a 2-year contract and renew the phone when renewing their contract. If people were to spent $600+ dollars on a phone out of pocket the interval might be larger than 24 months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mercury52 View Post

It's really driving me nuts how everyone (bloggers, reporters, analyists, consumers, etc) continue to refer to the upcoming "iPhone 5". The 4S is the iPhone 5. If anything, the next model will be called the iPhone 6.

1 - iPhone

2 - iPhone 3G

3 - iPhone 3GS

4 - iPhone 4

5 - iPhone 4S

6 - Not iPhone 5

True, as has been stated by TS, over and over again. And I don't mean to say his posts are boring; he's also trying to make the people see that. Unfortunately, many don't.
  • Reply 63 of 241
    Quote:

His list doesn't show that. The only iPhone that was named directly for its generation was the iPhone 4.

The G1 iPhone was simple iPhone. The G2 iPhone was iPhone 3G denoting the generation of the baseband HW inside due to its common usage in marketing. The G3 iPhone with the same casing as the prior model kept this marketing tactic and added the 'S' for speed.

The iPhone 4 was for the 4th generation iPhone. The G5 iPhone added an 'S' which was never directly defined but followed the same pattern of the iPhone 3GS by being faster and keeping the same overall look as the previous model.

It therefore makes no sense for the G6 iPhone be called the iPhone 5 when nothing about it is 5th generation. Even iPhone 4G would make more sense than iPhone 5, but I'm betting on iPhone LTE at this point since LTE is more marketable and less confusing (even though customers don't know what it stands for), the chips should be decent in 2012, and even Sprint is deploying LTE this year. Really anything but iPhone 5 makes sense.

V. 6 of the iPhone will be super thin and light and be called, iPhone Air... to be followed by the iPod Air and the iMac Air.
  • Reply 64 of 241
    My Phil Schiller reaction image aside, let's go over my reasoning again.

"iPhone 5". What about the next iPhone would make ANYONE ON THE PLANET think it's going to be "5"?

Is it the 5th model? No, it's the 6th model.

Will it have an A5 chip? No, it will have an A6 chip.

Will it run iOS 5? No, it will run iOS 6.

Will it have 5G telephony? No, it will have 4G telephony.

So let's see, that's three points for "iPhone 6" and zero points for "iPhone 5".
  • Reply 65 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

V. 6 of the iPhone will be super thin and light and be called, iPhone Air... to be followed by the iPod Air and the iMac Air.

I wonder if we might have two iPhone models. I think eventually they will reach a certain level of saturation and will have to split the line.

And two iPod Touch models. I think a 5-7" iPod Touch could work using the 1024x768 resolution of the iPad.
  • Reply 66 of 241
    Quote:

I'm betting on iPhone LTE at this point since LTE is more marketable and less confusing

Would it be possible for Apple to start simply calling it by the year of release? Many software programs do that, albeit sometimes a little early indicating their won't be a major upgrade next calendar year (hmpf)
  • Reply 67 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Would it be possible for Apple to start simply calling it by the year of release? Many software programs do that, albeit sometimes a little early indicating their won't be a major upgrade next calendar year (hmpf)

I think that sounds good, too. Are there any numbers that are considered superstitious? Like iPhone 2013 might be fine but iPhone 13 might not be.
  • Reply 68 of 241
    Quote:

Would it be possible for Apple to start simply calling it by the year of release? Many software programs do that, albeit sometimes a little early indicating their (sic) won't be a major upgrade next calendar year (hmpf)

This year's model will be the iPhone Mayan Apocalypse.
  • Reply 69 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This year's model will be the iPhone Mayan Apocalypse.

What about Dells' tablet next year: The Abyss?
  • Reply 70 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My Phil Schiller reaction image aside, let's go over my reasoning again.

"iPhone 5". What about the next iPhone would make ANYONE ON THE PLANET think it's going to be "5"?

Is it the 5th model? No, it's the 6th model.

Will it have an A5 chip? No, it will have an A6 chip.

Will it run iOS 5? No, it will run iOS 6.

Will it have 5G telephony? No, it will have 4G telephony.

So let's see, that's three points for "iPhone 6" and zero points for "iPhone 5".

I agree, but you are fighting a losing battle IMO because it all comes down to laziness (both intellectual and physical), on the part of tech writers and that isn't going to change now is it?

For instance all these problems magically disappear if they merely refer to the phones as "5th generation" or "4th gen" etc. but it seems that they are just too damn lazy to type that.

It all started with the iPods which for years were referred to as "2G" for second generation, and "3G" for third etc., (because we are all so f*cking lazy that the extra letters are too hard to type or something). They then replicated this nomenclature for the iPhone, but when the second generation iPhone was named "iPhone 3G" they had a big problem. Right then, the rational people stopped using this idiotic shorthand (1G, 2G, 3G etc.), but the lazy tech bloggers persevered (because being confusing and stupid doesn't trump the extra typing apparently), and many referred to the 3G iPhone as the "2G" for a year or more and the 3Gs as the "3G."

Now, most have finally dropped the "G" but are still stuck on this idea that each year is a different number even though all the facts are against them.

It's all just laziness and stupidity. The very fact that it can be fixed so easily and with such little effort (by using the "generation" term), argues against it being a problem of understanding and rather one of pig-headed idiocy.
  • Reply 71 of 241
    Quote:

What about Dells' tablet next year: The Abyss?

... or The Abysmal
  • Reply 72 of 241
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Not once did I mention the resolution in my post. I very, very clearly pointed out the physical dimensions that would change. It's not hard to understand, changing the size of elements changes the size of the elements. Here's an example: there are ≈4.5" 1280x720 Android phones... and there are ≈40" HDTVs with 1280x720 resolution. You still want to argue the dimensions of the elements wouldn't change? TIme for you to wake up.

Less bezel, and I said basically the same physical width of device, not exactly the same. If they reduced the bezel to 1mm with a slight lip to avoid accidental thumb presses the device would probably grow 1mm in total width overall for a 3.7" display or nothing at all. Nighty nite.
  • Reply 73 of 241
    Ooooh no, and here goes AppleInsider once again with the endless iPhone 5,6,7,8 and the iPad 3,4,5,6,7 rumors, this guys just can not live with the existing products, you should be instead writing about the present hardware and software, just understand, yes, everyone knows that some day a new product will be released. Please write about something actually useful.
  • Reply 74 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Less bezel, and I said basically the same physical width of device, not exactly the same. If they reduced the bezel to 1mm with a slight lip to avoid accidental thumb presses the device would probably grow 1mm in total width overall for a 3.7" display or nothing at all. Nighty nite.

Seriously, dude, READ before you post! Making the vertical bezel thinner and/or reducing the thickness of the device will allow for similar and potentially better thumb rotation when using in one hand. I've made mention of this on many, many occasions as to how and why Apple could and would want to increase the display size of the iPhone.

Again, my comment was very clear to show how that dimensions of the display areas would change. I made no mention of the resolution. I made no mention of the size of the device or how it would feel in a user's hand.
  • Reply 75 of 241
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

The only problem for Apple is that the appetite for smart phones is so great that it may lose potential purchases (and thus market share) as people invesigate Samsung's ever shortening product cycles.

According to my wife, designing a phone is like having sex. If you do it right, you don't have to do it often.
  • Reply 76 of 241
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I swear they must laugh their asses off at executive team meetings with all the rumors and shit that flies around.
  • Reply 77 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm really tired of the guys that write articles claiming that iPhone 4s is the same design as the 4. It is just plain ignorance folks and frankly Apple insider can do better. The phone has all of the following new: antenna, battery, processor, base band chips, GPS system, effectively all new electronics.

You forgot the camera which is awesome.

Really the only things that didn't change were the case and the Retina Display. Apple basically changed the most important stuff.
  • Reply 78 of 241
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The chance of iOS 6 (much less 8) supporting the 3Gs are slim. But if it does, it will be a big deal. Whatever iPhone people migrate to will make Apple happy. We can be sure that moving from their least expensive model to the next least expensive model is far better than them migrating to something else.

If Apple can support the 3GS one year past its discontinuance, it would be considered to be mucho important, particularly considering how long it would have been supported.

The 3GS is going to around in 2-4 years. It is now the cheap model, not the year before last years model. They may change the chip in future versions of this cheap model, and minor design changes but it is now the cheap model.
  • Reply 79 of 241
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I swear they must laugh their asses off at executive team meetings with all the rumors and shit that flies around.

... until someone gets it dead right in several areas. Then they stop laughing just long enough to phone Apple Legal.
  • Reply 80 of 241
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pimptonius View Post

I'm as much of and Apple fan as the next guy but the product cycles for their phones are ridiculous. It seems like each phone now is just a marginal improvement over the previous generation for a not no marginal cost. I understand they're trying to make money but how about stretching it out a bit so each phone seems like it is something amazing instead of just a retread. It's starting to seem like they think Apple fans are stupid and are willing to shell out for the latest bell and whistle.

Starting to think? They've known for quite a while that Apple fans are willing to shell out for the latest, now whether that's stupid or not is purely subjective.