Show the "UNIX" directories in the Finder?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a tool or utility or a command to show the "UNIX" directories in the Finder, but NOT show me the invisible "." (dot) files?

For example, I want to see the /etc directory, the /var directory, and the /bin directory all the time, but I don't want to see the ".DS_Store" files.

TinkerTool is nice for revealing the hidden BSD directories, but it also shows the dot files, which is annoying!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Couldn't you use the Go To Folder Command. Once there drag it to the sidebar or Favorites Folder.

irfoton
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Is there a tool or utility or a command to show the "UNIX" directories in the Finder, but NOT show me the invisible "." (dot) files?

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, but I haven't found any way to do it. Basically a GUI equivalent of the standard shell 'ls'. I'd love to be able to invoke 'ls -a' behavior (showing all the .files too) with a modifier key when opening the directory. I'd even like it if it took a modifier key to invoke showing hidden directories in general -- just a way to get it on demand, and give the user an option to turn the option off. I suspect that this is something that Apple would have to add to the finder directly -- I, for one, don't want to switch to Pathfinder or the like to get that feature.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

For example, I want to see the /etc directory, the /var directory, and the /bin directory all the time, but I don't want to see the ".DS_Store" files.

TinkerTool is nice for revealing the hidden BSD directories, but it also shows the dot files, which is annoying!

Let me know when you find something.

In the mean time:

ln -s /bin /bin_

ln -s /sbin /sbin_

ln -s /usr /usr_

ln -s /etc /etc_

ln -s /var /var_
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I haven't tried it, but I believe what you want to do is edit /.hidden. My understanding is that you can create a text file called .hidden in any folder and any files or directories whose names appear in this file will be hidden. If you look in / there is a file called .hidden and if you type "cat /.hidden" into the terminal you will find that it lists all those directories you want to see.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I haven't tried it, but I believe what you want to do is edit /.hidden. My understanding is that you can create a text file called .hidden in any folder and any files or directories whose names appear in this file will be hidden. If you look in / there is a file called .hidden and if you type "cat /.hidden" into the terminal you will find that it lists all those directories you want to see.

Indeed, works.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by 123

Indeed, works.

Uh... nope. All the directories don't show up in the Finder: no /usr, no /bin, etc. A few things do show up. And yes, I did relaunch the Finder in order to get it to reread .hidden.

My recollection is that you also have to remove the "invisible" attribute from the other directories in order to see them. This can be done with the 'SetFile' command-line utility in /Developer/Tools/.

What isn't on offer is a general way to enable this from the GUI, which is what I would really like.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Figured it out...

Wanna show an invisible folder like /etc or /bin, but NOT show all of them? Maybe you only want to see certain hidden UNIX folders, but not see the .files such as .DS_Store?

Just edit the ./hidden file!

Wanna hide a file or folder? Add the "." dot to the name (i.e.; ".filename), or place the file/folder at the root of the drive and add it to the list in the /.hidden file.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    There must be a hack that allows the Finder to just see .hidden files though right?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

There must be a hack that allows the Finder to just see .hidden files though right?

It's all or nothing. You can either download TinkerTool and see ALL the files and folders on your computer, or see the scant number of files and folders that Apple sets as default.

Barto
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mcsjgsmcsjgs Posts: 244member
    A bassackward way to do kind of what you want is to turn on invisible function in Finder search and click on the folder that shows up in the search. It will show all the hidden files in the folder. Obviously you have to know a filename in that folder or in the path for it to work.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Great, I finally made the "sw" folder that Fink made on my root volume invisible. Thanks for the tip about the .hidden file!