Future Apple third party acquisitions (Adobe, Lightwave)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I think that Apple should just get it over with and buy/merge with Adobe. I don't know if Apple could buy Adobe outright

(http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktgui...jhtml?tkr=ADBE) but it seems that as Apple continues to decimate Adobe in the professional video market Adobe might decide to retaliate by, oh say, discontinuing Photoshop. Adobe's revenues consist of 30-40% mac sales so this will never happen, you say. Okay, but let's pretend that Apple could somehow buy Adobe, would this be a good or bad partnership?

Which third party company will/should Apple purchase next?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Apple needs to swallow Adobe and Macromedia whole. They would gain allot of customers by killing Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc for PC. Completely optimize the apps (hint hint Dreamweaver, flash) for G4/G5, and WOW Apple would sell allot of Macs.

Microsoft has their eye on Macromedia (and maybe even Adobe)...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

Apple needs to swallow Adobe and Macromedia whole. They would gain allot of customers by killing Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc for PC. Completely optimize the apps (hint hint Dreamweaver, flash) for G4/G5, and WOW Apple would sell allot of Macs.

Does it make sense for them to kill these apps for the PC from a business or PR point of view? I mean, when Apple bought Logic and killed its PC development people were pretty pissed but Logic is only one of many audio apps. Photoshop is THE app in its category, killing it for the PC would be a PR nightmare.

Why should Apple buy Macromedia? How would they leverage their apps?

So, when are Apple and Pixar formally merging?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Write

YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD.......I NEED PHOTOSHOP FOR WINDOWS.....at least till the end of this summer
  • Reply 4 of 20
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    They would never kill it for the PC... but they could make it better on the Mac... add Mac-only features.

I would love to see Apple buy out AliasIWavefront... which I know they had the chance to, but passed on. Then they could make the Mac version of Maya equal to, if not better than, the PC version.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD.......I NEED PHOTOSHOP FOR WINDOWS.....at least till the end of this summer

So don't kill it, just slow the development on it so that more users are enticed by the Mac version, and Apple computers. Killing it totally would be a baaaaad idea.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I don't think Apple is anywhere near big and rich enough to eat up Adobe. Macromedia, maybe, but I seriously doubt Adobe would be even remotely possible.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    As a cross-platform user I want Adobe and Macromedia in Apple's hands as much as I want them in Microsoft's. That is, to say the least, not a lot.

Leave 'em be!!!

I think it's better for everyone in the long run that they are left alone - I'm not big on these kinds of mergings in general anyways.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Why do we bash Microsoft for taking everything over and creating a monopoly, yet want Apple to do the same. Taking over Adobe and/or Macromedia would make Apple a monopoly in more than one market. What would Apple do with two pro video editing apps, multiple animation type apps, and other programs that cross territory? They would probably kill or merge Premiere and After Effects with FCP and Motion. Then brush metalize Photoshop and Illustrator. Some goes for the Macromedia apps.

I think it's just a bad move for all involved. Let the competition continue so Adobe, Macromedia, and Apple will all be forced to innovate.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    rara Posts: 623member
    Adobe's about twice as big as Apple. Never gonna happen.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple aquisitions.

Adobe- Too large and expensive. Apple doesn't have an interest in Print Publishing.

Macromedia- Pretty much the same as Adobe.

Lightwave 3D- Heavily PC oriented. Maxon(Cinema4D) would be a better choice.

Here's a shot from left field. If Apple does acquire a 3D company my guess is it will be Luxology. Which supposedly contains the best and the brightest from Lightwaves creators.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Why do we bash Microsoft for taking everything over and creating a monopoly, yet want Apple to do the same. Taking over Adobe and/or Macromedia would make Apple a monopoly in more than one market. What would Apple do with two pro video editing apps, multiple animation type apps, and other programs that cross territory? They would probably kill or merge Premiere and After Effects with FCP and Motion. Then brush metalize Photoshop and Illustrator. Some goes for the Macromedia apps.

I think it's just a bad move for all involved. Let the competition continue so Adobe, Macromedia, and Apple will all be forced to innovate.

Apples competition if they eat adobe:

video: Avid

motion graphics: well, who did After Effects compete with before motion?

photoshop/illistrator: who does adobe compete with now?

as for logic/audition: well there is soundforge, acid, protools and a few others not worth mentioning.

but i agree, brushed metal is great but it would wreck the singituer adobe feel
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Adobe's about twice as big as Apple. Never gonna happen.

Nope. Apple's market cap is about $1billion less than Adobe's, but Apple has 3X the amount of employees. Realistically speaking though, you're right, Apple and Adobe would/could never merge.

http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktgui...jhtml?tkr=AAPL

http://www.forbes.com/finance/mktgui...jhtml?tkr=ADBE

The current relationship between the two companies, however, could sour (or get worse if it hasn't soured already). Apple has proven quite capable of outdoing third party developers and in essence becoming one of THE best developers for the Mac. Motion has got to piss Adobe off and I truly belive that Apple could take on Photoshop if it wanted to (I doubt that they do for many many reasons).
  • Reply 13 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple aquisitions.

Lightwave 3D- Heavily PC oriented. Maxon(Cinema4D) would be a better choice.

Here's a shot from left field. If Apple does acquire a 3D company my guess is it will be Luxology. Which supposedly contains the best and the brightest from Lightwaves creators.

Lightwave and C4D are both pretty heavily PC oriented. As far as I know, the really mac side of 3D is in FormZ and ElectricImage. If Apple bought Lightwave or C4D, it wouldn't really do a whole lot for them, since EI and FormZ pretty much dominate the mac 3D market, at least at the high end.

And for good reason. Ask anyone who's grown accustomed to that duo. C4D and Lightwave. . . just seem so mid-range. Both capable of good work, but when precision counts, they quit.

What I'd like to see is something like Solidworks get assimilated. There's not really any kind of true CAD for the mac, and truthfully, the added cost of a mac pales in comparison to the cost of a CAD suite. Plus, Windows sucks. CAD is something where the stability of OS X really shines, for there's nothing worse that having to re-align all of those damn curves that you spent 2 hours of focused concentration on.

Of course, that's not going to happen, even though the industrial design community if always looking for excuses to buy macs. . .
  • Reply 14 of 20
    resres Posts: 711member
    I would be overjoyed for Apple to buy Adobe, just to make sure that Adobe keeps making software for the Mac.

Can you imagine what would happen to Apple if Adobe canceled Photoshop for the mac? I shudder to think about it, but it would not totally surprise me if they did -- What's happening with Framemaker might just be a marketing test (and I sign of things to come).

Framemaker, much like Photoshop is a program with no real competition. Adobe canceled framemaker for the Mac, but it seems that they are not loosing too many sales (from what I can tell, over 70% of the Mac framemaker users are switching to the PC version -- hell even I might have to go down that path).

It might make business sense it for Adobe to stop supporting photoshop for the Mac. It would save them a lot of money on support and development, and a very good percentage of the pro users would probably follow the program and switch over to a PC, so they might not lose to much in sales.

It probably won't happen, but it is a scary thought...
  • Reply 15 of 20
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Apple should have bought Maya when they had the chance.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    There are so many Microsoft goons working at adobe that as soon as the talking started microsoft would swoop in and offer much much more. Right now Apple needs to split I think and be hardware and another software company. I mean I love their hardware and all but the only reason I use it is because of Mac OS.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

I would be overjoyed for Apple to buy Adobe, just to make sure that Adobe keeps making software for the Mac.

Can you imagine what would happen to Apple if Adobe canceled Photoshop for the mac? I shudder to think about it, but it would not totally surprise me if they did -- What's happening with Framemaker might just be a marketing test (and I sign of things to come).

Framemaker, much like Photoshop is a program with no real competition. Adobe canceled framemaker for the Mac, but it seems that they are not loosing too many sales (from what I can tell, over 70% of the Mac framemaker users are switching to the PC version -- hell even I might have to go down that path).

It might make business sense it for Adobe to stop supporting photoshop for the Mac. It would save them a lot of money on support and development, and a very good percentage of the pro users would probably follow the program and switch over to a PC, so they might not lose to much in sales.

It probably won't happen, but it is a scary thought...

Photshop and illistrator are differant than the rest of the adobe lineup, in the pro market, most photo/art/graphics pros are, in my experiance, Mac people, color accuracy is better on the Mac. People that use photoshop on windwos tend to be desktop or web publishers who use it as only a small part of thier arsinal of tools and could, if nessesary switch to PSP, which is inferior but can do most of the same things.

But we, IMHO shoulnt worry, this is old, but if they worked this close last year, they arent just going to drop the ball.

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobesupportsOSX.html

in one way I hope that apple doesnt buy adobe, they would pull CS from windows, like with logic, and why cant we get Shake on windows?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

why cant we get Shake on windows?

Because Windows had the smallest marketshare and was the buggiest. Go over and ask any of the Shake guys on Creative Cow about how Shake ran on Windows.

The Linux/Irix versions still seem to be the best performing.

Buying Adobe would give Apple a lot of cruft they don't need. Adobe has far more products than just CS.

I'm personally not worried about having Adobe apps on the Mac. As long as Mac users keep buying the new versions and upgrades Adobe will keep making them.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Why do we bash Microsoft for taking everything over and creating a monopoly, yet want Apple to do the same.

No kidding.

The main two media applications I use, Logic and FCP, are now both owned by apple. Concerning logic in particular, I am really looking forward to the changes in the coming logic 7, but I really can't get over the fact that so much of my computing is now controlled by one company. It's really a rough situation because apple has done such an amazing job with the applications, so I have no complaints there, but it's probably a very good thing for apple to not have total control.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

...but I really can't get over the fact that so much of my computing is now controlled by one company....total control.

I prefer Apple's control as opposed to having everything controlled by that other ONE company. Apple controls everything, but everything they control works (or at least works better). Can't say the same about Microsoft. What a Sassy company that is