...that old AfterDark screensaver/space game?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anybody remember, back in the day, that space game on those old black & white screen Macs? You pilot this little spaceship on a 2D spacefield to maneuver around asteroids while you shoot at them? It had that "pop" sound when you blow away that last chunk of asteroid?

What was that? Is there anywhere I can get it today? That game was so addictive, fun, worked with a minimum of control keys, and played just fine on a tiny B/W screen. I was thinking this would make a wonderful carry-along game for my laptop (running in Classic, of course).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I remember one called Lunatic Fringe, but it was colour....
  • Reply 3 of 19
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

I remember one called Lunatic Fringe, but it was colour....

Ah, that's it! I suppose it could have been color, but I was always playing it in BW. Damn good memory, btw!

Any idea if it is accessible anywhere?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I remember that game too. Truthfully, it's a lot like Ambrosia/Matt Burch's Escape Velocity series. The new one (nova) is a little cheesy, but extremely fun nonetheless. You should check it out.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Does ANYONE have Lunatic Fringe???!!! And was it ever standalone or did it need AfterDark? IF anyone has it alone or inside after dark can they send me it!! I used to have it..who knows where it went.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I looked there initially when the question first came up.

Could not find it - unless it is hiding in one of the after dark options (about 20).

I know I have it on the IIci, but my monitor is not-operational.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Great find, E-money!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I AM NOW ONE WITH THE FRINGE!!! I will not resist. I will not negotiate.

I never realized that this was the one thing left in my life that needed closure. Now I can die happy...

Props goes out to that guy who hacked it to work in Mac OS 9+!

The only caveats is that I have to knock down my monitor setting to 256 colors. Also it is actually "missing something" w/o the CPU slowdowns while you strafe an enemy. It was kind of like a movie going to slow-mo right when you were doing something awesome. I guess you can't have everything when going from a Mac Classic to a 900 Mhz G3, eh?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I know what you mean Randycat99, with the pausing! I just need to get it to work!..I got every single module and set and Installed AD 9, tried all mixes of Extensions, can't get Lunatic fringe to start up though! After Dark doesn't work in regular mode, screensavers only load in Demo mode...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    That's weird! I've only tried one module (LF), but it only works in screensaver mode, not demo (opposite of you). You don't have any other screensaver programs running, right? Dropped your video setting to 256 colors, too? Dropped everything into the Control Panels folder?

I'm running mines in Mac OS9.1, as well. Haven't tried it yet in Classic within OSX. Is that what you are doing?
  • Reply 12 of 19
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I'm using Classic and it no worky! It doesn't work in Demo mode, it never did. I was just pointing out that screensavers are working in only Demo mode. When I hit the hot key or sleep corner the screen flashes then nothing. Perhaps it doesn't work in Classic? That'd suck! Man OS 9...I haven't used that in, wow, now that I think about it, years.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Yes, I believe you are correct. It works for me in my native OS9.1, but not from within Classic in OSX.

THIS TIME APPLE HAS GONE TOO FAR!!! This transfer to OSX can never hope to complete unless Lunatic Fringe is allowed to come with us into the "new age".
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Noooo!!! Maybe Lunatic Fringe work on my Color Classic I'll have to try that. Is there any way to beat it or does it go on forever!
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Beat it? Even if there was a way, I would never see it. Those little bad guys get damn ruthless in higher levels!

I suppose if you really want access to it in OSX, you could get VPC, put one'o'dem dere Mac emulators in there running from your choice of Windows, and then fire up the Lunatic Fringe? With that many code layers, we might actually get back the "CPU slowdown" effect. Tres authentique!

DAMN YOU, APPLE!!! THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE BROUGHT US TO!!!...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    http://www.emulation.net/macintosh/

Quote:

some Mac emulators are even being ported to the Mac OS. They are indeed useful, also--many classic titles which refused to run on newer machines should be fully usable under these emulators, which currently emulate only a minimalistic Macintosh system.

I use Basilisk II
  • Reply 18 of 19
    [mouth agape]

Smoshing find! Gonna try it out now!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    That link is now dead and it is not on Archive.org.  Please repost to another server.  Thanks.