Post your hardware expectations that Apple CANNOT top!

jrcjrc
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2014
I am up to Apple's challenge. This rumor site/board will not be awestruck. It's impossible. We cannot be topped.

I say that if Apple does NOT deliver a quad G5-based Server with full raid/hot swap/airport-managed via iPad/iWalk/etc, then I will not be blown away.

If Apple does not deliver a 1.6 Ghz + (G3 OR G4, I don't care and neither does Joe Blow) imac with conventional styling (not cutesy),then I won't be blown away.

If Apple does not deliver a capable and compatible Newton replacement, I won't be blown away.

If Apple does not deliver another consumer gadget (not PDA) then I won't be blown away.

If Apple does not deliver a mid-level prosumer tower/desktop, then I won't be blown away.

What about YOUR "top this Apple" list of challenges?

But even if they deliver, how can they keep up with future revolutions? They'd set an unattainable precipice of breakneck speed.

JRC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    So even if Apple met those expectations and more, you'd be disappointed because they couldn't keep up with that type of pace?

Please.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>So even if Apple met those expectations and more, you'd be disappointed because they couldn't keep up with that type of pace?

Please. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I would be happy. BUT NOT BLOWN AWAY. Big diff
  • Reply 3 of 37
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, i am freaking out like everyone else ( i thought i knew, but even now i am beginning to doubt...), but as someone else said, i think apple is referring to the "official reports" of applinsider, macosrumors, and the like. not everything we can think of on these boards.

though, if you're taking bets, apple has bought an undisclosed pacific island, and each new mac will include a one-way ticket to move everything you own onto this island, to live in wireless, broadband paradise, free of the PC herd.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    katekate Posts: 172member
    I bet they will not get one of these out:

• Reply 5 of 37
    Kate, why do you do things like that to me?
  • Reply 6 of 37
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Kate, that is the coolest thing I've seen this year. There's no way in hell Apple will top that!

--Discussion closed.
  • Reply 7 of 37

<strong>Kate, why do you do things like that to me? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Just kidding, sure they'll have it in the stores next week.

BTW You should think of another sig then
  • Reply 8 of 37
    [quote]BTW You should think of another sig then <hr></blockquote>

I've been waiting to change it for years.
  • Reply 9 of 37

<strong>

I've been waiting to change it for years. </strong><hr></blockquote>

just a little more time.......

anyway, it will not run X as shown above, at least not with a dock. Ever tried to play catch with shifting slippery dock icons while waving a pen over a touch screen?

OS X 2go must be a little bit more mature to do this and a little bit more lean too. However, I think not all hopes must fail re iNewton, some sort of incarnation may very well appear some day. Sorry to bust that bubble, but I am positive it will not be the 7th.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    I've been thinking "wearable" for some time now. That's something that I haven't seen here.

But I agree that the "rumor sites" reference really only refers to LCD iMacs, G5s, and possibly another simple iDevice or two.

A tablet is kind of borderline...and I really want a tablet, so I hope it's not in their definition.

On the other hand, it might be one (or more) of these things, but with some significant twist that noone saw coming. That's really more Apple than completely new products.

They certainly do have the capability to surprise. Let's hope they do.

Alex
  • Reply 11 of 37
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [quote]Originally posted by gordy:

<strong>Kate, that is the coolest thing I've seen this year. There's no way in hell Apple will top that!

--Discussion closed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am in total agreement with gordy. Scalable OS X, on a Pockket Device. I would cream with extatic delight if I thought I could get one.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    ifok5ifok5 Posts: 22member
    Gigawire is really a wireless connection to your brain, so you don't have to use a mouse or a keyboard...

The G5 sphere and the G5 cube are both released

Apple buy AMD and Moto's semi-conductors, makes their own Apple Athlon G5.

Top that Apple!!!!

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Ifok5 ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 37
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,455member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

But even if they deliver, how can they keep up with future revolutions? They'd set an unattainable precipice of breakneck speed.

JRC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why do you think this has to be a sustained pace? One big event can inject a lot of momentum into Apple's sales and carry them for a long time.

I think you've got it all wrong -- they're not going to blow anybody away by improving what is already there. They are going to blow people away with something that people haven't thought of. There might be a few people who have thought of it who might not be blown away by the idea, but they'll probably be impressed that Apple managed to bring it to market.

I do not expect to see higher clockrates, DDR memory, etc from all this -- it could remain completely status quo while they introduce something new. There's a lot of evidence that iMac and iBook are about to be replaced, but that could just be a side show (or then again might not be).
  • Reply 14 of 37
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    Here is something Apple will NOT come out with... the long awaited succesor to the 6100/66 DOS from 1995.

It combined a blazing 66 mHz PowerPC 601 with a speedy 66 mHz 486 DX/2 processor card. Essentially two computers in one!

Fans of the 6100/66 DOS have long awaited the succesor to this classic "dualie" system.

Might I now present my mock up of the PowerMac G4 1.2 GHz/66DOS!

Combining a 1.2 Ghz G4 processor with a 66 mHz 486DX, this PowerMac lets you run Maya for OS X and Minesweeper? for Windows 3.1 simultaneously!

Red Box? We don't need no stinking Red Box.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    i don't think apple will release a 1mhz G100
  • Reply 16 of 37
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Hey Kate, did you make that yourself or get it from some other site? That is sweet.

Jutus, they also had a 100mhz version that was a sperate card you could add to a few different macs. I can't remember if it was PCI. I guess not. Maybe NUBUS? I don't remember

I'd much rather see the Red Box as an update to OS X. So all new macs out of the box could run mac and windows software.

Those "PC Cards" were expensive. I think the codename for them was "Houdini".
  • Reply 17 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>Hey Kate, did you make that yourself or get it from some other site? That is sweet.

Jutus, they also had a 100mhz version that was a sperate card you could add to a few different macs. I can't remember if it was PCI. I guess not. Maybe NUBUS? I don't remember

I'd much rather see the Red Box as an update to OS X. So all new macs out of the box could run mac and windows software.

Those "PC Cards" were expensive. I think the codename for them was "Houdini".</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 486s were only nubus. though you could buy an upgrade chip from evergreen or such to double the 66 mhz chip on the DOS card.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'll guarantee you they won't even match the items below (which are not pipe-dreams, but at least semi-realistic), much less top them:

LDC iMacs with Apollo G4 processors, all running above 800 MHz

New TiBook with Apollo G4 processors, all running above 800 MHz

New PowerMac design with G5 processors, all running at at least 1GHz

Shipping or near-shipping 64 bit version of OS X

Announcement of 64 bit Photoshop, Maya, Halo, or similarly important apps.

The above scenario, to my way of thinking, would warrant the amount of hype they're giving, but I'll bet money it will be EITHER the Apollo products OR the G5, but not both. Maybe the new powermac's enclosure will be small enough that it warrants the new, cooler Apollo chip as well?

We shall see. But by saying "Bigger than the Rumor Sites. Way Bigger" they're setting themselves up for a fall and a lot of criticism. But hey, Steve's Gulfstream jet is sound-proof. He won't be able to hear us swearing at him once he steps on board.

• Reply 19 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>I'll guarantee you they won't even match the items below (which are not pipe-dreams, but at least semi-realistic), much less top them:

LDC iMacs with Apollo G4 processors, all running above 800 MHz

New TiBook with Apollo G4 processors, all running above 800 MHz

New PowerMac design with G5 processors, all running at at least 1GHz

Shipping or near-shipping 64 bit version of OS X

Announcement of 64 bit Photoshop, Maya, Halo, or similarly important apps.

The above scenario, to my way of thinking, would warrant the amount of hype they're giving, but I'll bet money it will be EITHER the Apollo products OR the G5, but not both. Maybe the new powermac's enclosure will be small enough that it warrants the new, cooler Apollo chip as well?

We shall see. But by saying "Bigger than the Rumor Sites. Way Bigger" they're setting themselves up for a fall and a lot of criticism. But hey, Steve's Gulfstream jet is sound-proof. He won't be able to hear us swearing at him once he steps on board.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

See. That's a good 'reasonable' list with high expectations when ALL are to be delivered at the same time.

I agree Moogs, that this VERY ATTAINABLE list is BEYOND what Apple will deliver. It will NOT Blow me away when they don't reach this.

Good list.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Why thank you, sir. I'm new at this hardware speculation game...but since Apple clearly wants me to play along this year, I shall. 'Tis the season to give the benefit of the doubt, so the benefit of my doubts you shall all receive.