Apple's 32-foot glass cube sheds its sheets

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Construction workers on the site of Apple's soon-to-open flagship retail location in Midtown Manhattan haven taken the wraps off the 32-foot glass cube that marks store's entranceway, revealing a dangling, backlit Apple logo that appears to float inside the structure.

The informal unveiling began at about 7:50 PM ET on Wednesday evening, as workers raised a scissor-lift to the sides of the cube and slowly began to peel back sheets of black plastic material that had been concealing its design, according to ifoAppleStore, which is offering detailed coverage of the store opening.

"The black plastic wrapping has come off the cube at the store, and it revealed a surprise -- a huge white, floating Apple logo inside," wrote Gary Allen, the Web site's publisher. "The face of the logo is milky white and about 12-inches thick. It appears to float about half-way back in the 32-foot cube, and about one-third down from the top, suspended from the top of the cube by a substantial stainless steel pole."

Inside the cube is spiral glass staircase and a glass-enclosed, cylindrical elevator that will transport patrons from the plaza outside the GM building at 767 Fifth Avenue at 59th Street to the underground 20,000-square-foot Apple retail haven.

"Besides the unusual elevator design, and the staircase that curves downward around it, the cube has another interesting feature -- it's all open to the lower floor," Allen wrote. "That is, you can walk up to the outside glass of the cube, look through and see right down into the store itself."

Some Apple staffers who reportedly watched the "peeling" of the cube were Karl Backus, an architect with BCJ who had served as project director on other Apple retail projects, and Ron Johnson, Apple's senior vice president of retail. According to ifoAppleStore, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs is also rumored to be in town.

At about 3:30 AM ET the giant back-lit Apple logo flickered on for the first time so company executives could see its effect. It was quickly turned off, only to come back on permanently about 45 minutes later, according to Allen.

(ifoAppleStore photo. View the cube unveiling photo gallery and coverage.)

"Within a few minutes additional lights came on -- small round lights set in the perimeter of the cube, and pointing upward. They lend some definition to the cube's structure, which otherwise at night is not easy to see." he wrote on ifoAppleStore. "The glass of the cube creates various reflections of the logo, which is lit on both the front and back. Looking from the front of the cube, you see the front of the logo, and then the reflection of the back of the logo."

Apple is holding a press briefing at the store at 10:00 AM ET on Thursday morning to allow analysts and members of the media to perform a walk-through of the store before its official opening Friday at 6:00 PM ET.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Wow it looks really cool I wish I could go to the grand opening.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    "Apple is holding a press briefing at store at 10:00 AM ET on Thursday morning to allow analysts and members of the media to perform a walk-through of the store before its official opening Friday at 6:00 PM ET."

I hope the press event is not just a bloody walkthrough with no product announcements !!!!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    thataboythataboy Posts: 47member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

"Apple is holding a press briefing at store at 10:00 AM ET on Thursday morning to allow analysts and members of the media to perform a walk-through of the store before its official opening Friday at 6:00 PM ET."

I hope the press event is not just a bloody walkthrough with no product announcements !!!!

Um, the press briefing was ALWAYS just going to be a walk-through. NEVER did anyone indicate that there would be product announcements.

In addition, you JUST got a bloody MacBook release!

Who ARE you insane, needy people who need product announcements every 2 days????

This is the ULTIMATE, flagship Apple Store with a huge glass cube entrance. That is worthy of a small intimate press walk-through and briefing. Done. Finished. PERIOD.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    Quote:

As in... iPod video announced today....
  • Reply 5 of 35
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Think inside the box! I mean cube...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

It's an angry kind of hope, though, isn't it?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:

it revealed a surprise -- a huge white, floating Apple logo inside[/B]

Wow, a huge white glowing Apple logo - just like every other Apple storefront. The one in Walnut Creek can blind you driving by. Shocked, shocked, I tell you.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    *sigh* I thought we were all under the impression that there were going to be product announcements with Steve giving a nice blurb. The quiet MacBook release on Tuesday I thought we all (well most of us) meant that iPod announcements and maybe even iPhone announcemenets would happen on Thursday morning.....

I am less angry now and it's more of a "sad puppy" kind of hope
  • Reply 9 of 35
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I still think they may release a Red iPod at the opening for the Bono charity.

The cube looks cool.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    This new location will no doubt become a landmark, but I'm a little concerned that with the new campus, custom NY store, etc., that Apple may be overspending a little on low-ROI items...
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Originally posted by Thataboy

Who ARE you insane, needy people who need product announcements every 2 days????

Umm... There are a lot of us, I tell you, on AppleInsider Forums... *shakes fist*

Personally I feel the iPod line is a bit stale. iPod Shuffle: pffttt.. soo 2005.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I like it a lot. They are really going to have to work at keeping debris off the top of that cube. 8) Bring on the Windex!
  • Reply 13 of 35
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Don't you kind of get the feeling the construction company isn't very smart?

They could have left the cube black and charged more for it.

Dumb I say.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lantzn

Don't you kind of get the feeling the construction company isn't very smart?

They could have left the cube black and charged more for it.

Dumb I say.

Construction companies don't design, they build. They were conracted to build a glass cube, they built a glass cube.

That cube looks so fucking cool, godamnit I was I was an egomainiac ceo billionare I'd build things like this for each location!
  • Reply 15 of 35
    rinninrinnin Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ClimbingTheLog

Wow, a huge white glowing Apple logo - just like every other Apple storefront. The one in Walnut Creek can blind you driving by. Shocked, shocked, I tell you.

Yeah. But this is a huge white Floating glowing Apple logo!

I think its the best damn design ever. Nice one Steve-o 8)
  • Reply 16 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaun, UK

I still think they may release a Red iPod at the opening for the Bono charity.

I will only buy if I can choose a more deserving charity; all bono ever does is bitch about the world bank and international debt, I would rather support charities that cut through the political BS and help PEOPLE...maybe the international red cross.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I like it a lot. They are really going to have to work at keeping debris off the top of that cube.

Sounds like some great rookie haxing could come from this...

Manager: OK it is 3am, time to clean up: Jon, sweep the floor, paul, change the burned-out light bulbs, jenny, dust the displays, iPods, and keyboards; and new guy...I have a special job for you...grab the ladder..."
  • Reply 18 of 35
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

all bono ever does is bitch about the world bank and international debt,

First, there is a lot to "bitch" about with the World Bank.

Second, debt-relief is a serious issue that can lead to a wide variety of other "reliefs".

Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I would rather support charities that cut through the political BS and help PEOPLE...

This is exactly what he's trying to do. He is giving a voice to a very important issue...and since his voice (as an individual) is louder than any of ours, I welcome it.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Next on Jobs' to-do list:

Purchase Cupertino and replace it with a kilometer high black mica ziggurat, topped with a billion watt laser beacon that emits a shaft of light that can be seen from the moon, and surround by a legion of elite Apple color guard trained both in how to kill silently and hardware diagnostics.

And the finder will still suck.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Chris, a_greer: his voice, and yours, on this topic, need to be in AO, not here.

Thenk yew.