I fried my new iMac with Bootcamp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay okay... so its Beta software and I should expect something like this might happen. I partitioned my new 24" iMac using bootcamp. On the subsequent reboot to install windows, the XP installer was working fine. I got to the part where I was supposed to pick the partition on which I wanted to install windows. I noticed that only a C: drive equivalent in size to the Mac partition was available. Rather than take the risk of wiping out my Mac install, I stopped the installation by selecting quit and restarted the computer. This is when everything seems to have fallen apart.

On reboot, I got to the grey screen, but no apple logo appeared, nor did the little sprockety thing underneath it. The windows CD was still stuck in the drive, so I did a hard reboot with the power button and was able to get the CD to eject by holding down the eject key on the keyboard. I then reset again. Same problem... no Apple. So I popped in the OS X install CD that came with the iMac and reset again, holding down "c" to boot up from CD. No dice again. I reset the PRAM. No dice again.

So now I have this gorgeous iMac that just "bongs" when I turn it on and then sits there doing nothing. Any thoughts out there in insiderdom?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Update:

When I hold down "option" on reset, I get a mouse pointer that the mouse can move, however, there is nothing on which to click! Very spooky guys... that knot in my stomach is getting tighter and tighter now.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Does the warranty cover Beta software ? Or do you have a new 24" doorstop?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Does the warranty cover Beta software ? Or do you have a new 24" doorstop?

you know... thats not particularly helpful...

I doubt that warranty covers beta software. But I don't think there is a hardware problem here. The mac tries to boot, but gets stuck somewhere. I am not sure how to work with the Mac equivalent of BIOS, so I am not sure how to proceed. I am on hold with Applecare, so we will see.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Well the applecare guys are offering to take the old machine and replace it with a new one. Its either that or take it to an authorized servicer and see what they come up with. They assure me that bootcamp had nothing to do with what went wrong.

The guy, Phillip, walked me through several diagnostic tests, inclduing holding down "d" as the machine was started up to run the hardware test (something I am going to try on my old iBook once the new iMac comes). By doing so, he was able to establish that my iMac fell into criteria that qualified it as "DOA". Something was ticking away and it was, as the guy on the phone put it, "just an unfortunate coincidence".

So, after waiting a week to get my new iMac, I am going to have to send it back and wait for a new one to get built and shipped to me. Not the ending I was hoping for, but things could be much much worse. So in the end I am satisfied, not because I am getting a "new", new computer, but because they found a way to solve the problem. Makes me seriously think about getting Applecare for real once the new computer comes.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    It shouldn't be possible for a software level to effect HW level. Unless it was doing something in the firmware.

Well it's fixed now.

But what I would of done is hold T and see if it boots up in target firewire mode. Then hook it upto another mac.

The macs can be a bit stupid on getting into CD mode, so it takes a few tries. It looks like a case of unable to mount HDD cause you messed up a partition.

If it is a HW issue, it's pretty hard to blame it on boot camp. It probably is an unfortune coincidence and/or a "time bomb" as I call it.

This is when a HW is defective, but not noticable till you abuse it, like maxing CPU or going ful CD spin, getting hot, etc.

Applecare is sorta ok. Extended Applecare has onsite, which some people would really like, or just need a mission critical computer. The tech guys are heck of a lot nicer if you have applecare.

I won't say they would do the minium if you just have regular warranty, but the nice ones would get a much better case againist their managers, to simply use the "ship back and replace" option if you have applecare. And most of us like that the best.

Another thing about applecare is if you're planning to sell it on ebay or something. If you claim you have applecare, you can get a lot more selling power because whoever buys it knows, that even in worse case seenerio a get screwed, they will simply take it up with apple.(You can check applecare online, so it's pretty good insurance)
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    That's the sort of thing that bothers me about bootcamp. Loads of people have success with it but I just know I'd be one of the ones whose machine messed up somehow. It's true that software shouldn't mess up a machine but firmware updates are different. What happened to you sounds like the description here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Boot-...ms-21508.shtml

They make an interesting point about quitting all programs. I wouldn't even have thought about quitting the widgets. Dashboard should really have a quit button on it.

It's a shame you have to send your whole machine back. I would have thought that some sort of firmware reset would have worked. It seems like too much of a coincidence to me that it was a hardware failure just as you were installing bootcamp.

Will you be installing bootcamp on your new machine?

Personally, I use Parallels because it's fine for what I need to use Windows for and if they get full 3D as they've said by the end of the year, I will never need bootcamp.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Anybody know if Bootcamp is a virus risk? Could the XP side of the computer pick up a virus that goes back to boot camp and somehow fucks with the OS side's startup?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

That's the sort of thing that bothers me about bootcamp. Loads of people have success with it but I just know I'd be one of the ones whose machine messed up somehow. It's true that software shouldn't mess up a machine but firmware updates are different. What happened to you sounds like the description here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Boot-...ms-21508.shtml

They make an interesting point about quitting all programs. I wouldn't even have thought about quitting the widgets. Dashboard should really have a quit button on it.

It's a shame you have to send your whole machine back. I would have thought that some sort of firmware reset would have worked. It seems like too much of a coincidence to me that it was a hardware failure just as you were installing bootcamp.

Will you be installing bootcamp on your new machine?

Personally, I use Parallels because it's fine for what I need to use Windows for and if they get full 3D as they've said by the end of the year, I will never need bootcamp.

I also felt that it was too much of a coincidence, but as you wrote, software shouldn't mess around with the hardware side of things. As far as trying bootcamp again, I am afraid that I will be trying again. If I wanted two computers, I would have maintained the status quo with my two laptops. On of the main selling points for the new intel Macs is that they can run Windows. Actually, what I probably will do is keep using my decrepit Windows laptop and just wait for Leopard, when all the dual boot issues are supposed to be ironed out and hopefully, supported by Apple officially.

In retrospect, there are a couple of things that I could have done differently with the bootcamp install. I quit all the applications that were running in the dock, but not dashboard. I recall that I had left he gmail notifier and Missing Sync running in the taskbar. I was not logged in as an administrator while doing the partition. I doubt that these little things had any effect, but still, I would not do any of them on the second go.

Can anyone comment on their experiences installing bootcamp and windows on their 24 inch iMacs?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

Well the applecare guys are offering to take the old machine and replace it with a new one. Its either that or take it to an authorized servicer and see what they come up with. They assure me that bootcamp had nothing to do with what went wrong.

The guy, Phillip, walked me through several diagnostic tests, inclduing holding down "d" as the machine was started up to run the hardware test (something I am going to try on my old iBook once the new iMac comes). By doing so, he was able to establish that my iMac fell into criteria that qualified it as "DOA". Something was ticking away and it was, as the guy on the phone put it, "just an unfortunate coincidence".

So, after waiting a week to get my new iMac, I am going to have to send it back and wait for a new one to get built and shipped to me. Not the ending I was hoping for, but things could be much much worse. So in the end I am satisfied, not because I am getting a "new", new computer, but because they found a way to solve the problem. Makes me seriously think about getting Applecare for real once the new computer comes.

You defintely need to get apple care. It is great. My keyboard went bad, and they sent me a new one. No questions asked.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Oh man... I am so bummed going through big monitor withdrawal! This "little" 14 inch iBook is just not cutting it anymore. Is there any insiderdom group therapy available?

Seriously guys... before I take the chance and ruin my new iMac when it comes... can you think of any reason why partitioning the hard drive with bootcamp assistant would cause a hardware failure of this magnitude? I didn't even have windows installed yet!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

inclduing holding down "d" as the machine was started up to run the hardware test (something I am going to try on my old iBook once the new iMac comes).

That only works on Intel Macs, and should have required you to have inserted the "OS X install disc 1" disc that came with your iMac. Your iBook should have come with a hardware test CD that you can start-up with in the normal way by pressing the "c" key during boot.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

inclduing holding down "d" as the machine was started up to run the hardware test (something I am going to try on my old iBook once the new iMac comes).

That only works on Intel Macs, and should have required you to have inserted the "OS X install disc 1" disc that came with your iMac. Your iBook should have come with a hardware test CD that you can start-up with in the normal way by pressing the "c" key during boot.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronaldo

You defintely need to get apple care. It is great. My keyboard went bad, and they sent me a new one. No questions asked.

do you know if they wait to receive the return before they ship the new one?

edit: nevermind... they wait. Grrrrr.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    What's going to be the deal with BootCamp?

Once it's out of beta, will they charge for it...or will it just be included in a future OS X release?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac~N~Cheese

What's going to be the deal with BootCamp?

Once it's out of beta, will they charge for it...or will it just be included in a future OS X release?

It'll be part of Leopard.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Once again, mixed feelings about this whole process. Indeed Apple has made it painless in the sense that all I had to do was print out a shipping label, fix it to the box and run over to the nearest FedEx to ship it back. The downside is that it is going back to California via ground. So I ship on Sep 21. It doesn't get to Cali until the 28th. Then it has to be processed. Only then do the even place an order for my new machine! I guess beggars shouldn't be choosers, but come on! Two week turnaround? Is this typical for others who have had to exchange machines?
  • Reply 17 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    It may not help much, but all my recent FedEx "ground" shipments actually arrived in 1-2 days. I think that they say ground but air is actually cheaper for them in a lot of instances due to the fuel prices.