Apple pursues interest in micro-acoustics, Hi-Fi successor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Ok Apple. Give me iHTiB

(iHomeTheaterinaBox)

5.1 speakers (Wireless rear surrounds)

Control unit with 40GB hard drive and HDMI and Coax outputs. iPod recharger and

Front Row+ remote with more functionality. Offer a couple of legacy inputs and include 5.1 Digital amplification and charge $499 for this puppy.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

True only if you have an iPod. I don't.

It'd be nice to have it all in one box using one cable or even on batteries and building it in would be cheaper than having an external unit. A wifi module isn't very expensive these days either. You can buy PCMCIA cards for about £10. I'd be surprised if it'd cost Apple any more than $5 to add wifi access to the HiFi.

I could see a WiFi enabled HiFi (WiHi?) without the iPod dock, but not by Apple. And I still don't think Apple would include both (I imagine that would figure that the number of people that wanted to stream iTunes but had no iPod would be vanishingly slight).

A WiFi card is cheap, but you then also need to include the capacity to decompress the digital audio stream and some way to toggle to "Air Tunes".

I mean, how much do you figure a cheap ethernet NIC, audio out and USB port is adding to the cost of the $130 Airport Express?

I just think, parts cost notwithstanding, Apple would charge enough of a premium for a WiFi enabled audio playback device that the Express would look like the better deal.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Ok Apple. Give me iHTiB

(iHomeTheaterinaBox)

5.1 speakers (Wireless rear surrounds)

Control unit with 40GB hard drive and HDMI and Coax outputs. iPod recharger and

Front Row+ remote with more functionality. Offer a couple of legacy inputs and include 5.1 Digital amplification and charge $499 for this puppy.

So you would be cool with routing AC to the rear speakers? That just always struck me as a real deal breaker when it comes to-on wall installation, which is pretty typically what people do.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianMojo

Exactly. C'mon Apple, no one wants their iPod precariously placed (or looking like it's precariously placed, for that matter) on top of a speaker.

I agree. I thought Apple's iPod Hi Fi was too expensive for an all-in-one speaker which does not have that good a sound reproduction. I read various reviews on different ipod speakers and the iDeck by Monitor Audio, which I bought, came out better than Apple's Hi Fi speakers and better than most others. Theirs is an elegant design with a central console housing the iPod, with two remote speakers.

The iPod is positively supported on all sides, leaving the front clear for manual input control, say at start-up or switching off, and there is a great remote control, which works equally well in other rooms.

From what I remember of the reviews, it is a comparable performance to the Bose, but significantly cheaper. Bear in mind that none of these speaker systems compare to a full blooded Hi Fi system, but the iDeck in my opinion is excellent value for money and cradles the iPod neatly and securely. Obviously it is not designed as a portable unit, having separate speakers.

Try the link below -

<http://www.i-deck.co.uk/>;

• Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

If you use a Mac, there is a program called Dictionary in the application folder that you can use to learn the difference.

wow, maybe you can look up the word "irony" in the dictionary app.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

It's about time they put some real thought and engineering into their own branded solutions. They lose money on an add-on or accessory every time they sell an iPod. Plain crazy.

Yeah but a healthly 3rd party ecosystem is a huge plus for the iPod, I can't see them going after too many iPod accessory products.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Can't see it. The iPod dock provides a way to get your music to the box. Adding wireless access to your iTunes collection would be confusingly redundant.

At any rate, Airport Express adds this functionality to any stereo, without tying the expensive electronics to one box. Sort of like how it wouldn't make any sense for Apple to built a flat-screen display with iTV built in.

A lightweight iTV would make sense (and Apple a lot of dollars) but how would you navigate your full iTunes library from another room with the displayless IR remote? It's not like using a shuffle.

Maybe a flash-less, wireless nano directing the traffic or a wireless full-nano (who's library extends to the full iTunes one when in range) and allows you to select headphone or remote speakers?

This starts to hurt my brain (without having anything to do with the original subject)

McD
  • Reply 28 of 43
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    What I think the next generation needs are two things:

1. A built in Airtunes speaker.

2. A wifi remote.

That would pretty much put Sonos out of business right there.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doemel

Or even better: Skip AM/Fm altogether! Who needs ad ridden airwaves that mostly play Top 40 crap anyways when one has 24/7 internet access?

Sports, some talk radio, NPR and the emergency broadcast system are not crap.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Or even better: Skip AM/Fm altogether! Who needs ad ridden airwaves that mostly play Top 40 crap anyways when one has 24/7 internet access?

I was going to get the Hi-Fi to put in my parent kicthen, only I didn't because no FM Tuner with no 6 preset buttons. My parents can't use computers, their ignorant of them, so I could get rid of their existing stereo/radio because no FM tuner.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:

I was going to get the Hi-Fi to put in my parents kicthen, only I didn't because no FM Tuner with no 6 preset buttons. My parents can't use computers, their ignorant of them, so I couldn't get rid of their existing stereo/radio because no FM tuner.

/and please nobody come back and say there's a hack, or you can get this add-on, or do this, do that. Apple needs to put in an FM Tuner into their next Hi-Fi, if they do, they'll sell better. It's that simple!
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintel4me

I can see Apple coming out with a 5:1 and a 7:1 sound system that is wireless. If "iTV" can do wireless video and audio via 802.11, certainly Apple can come with a wirless Home Theather speaker setup to complete the experience.

Despite the fact that many people will tell you that you're wrong making that judgement, I feel as I have said many times, that Apple will do all of that. Wireless speakers, Apple all-in-one TV (it's not a computer), etc. etc.

Besides; http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...of_operation1/
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

It's about time they put some real thought and engineering into their own branded solutions.

Agreed! (iTV, then TV etc.)

Quote:

They lose money on an add-on or accessory every time they sell an iPod. Plain crazy.

Please tell me you didn't say that?
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:

Except who wants to either have to plug in or change batteries on each little speaker in a compact 5.1 or 7.1 system?

That's where they may think of something original, like hamsters included?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

So you would be cool with routing AC to the rear speakers? That just always struck me as a real deal breaker when it comes to-on wall installation, which is pretty typically what people do.

My buddy just bought a house with his wife where the previous owner installed AC jacks up high on the walls to attach some lighted signs. At first it looks odd but they pretty much dissappear. But AC is the thing that is keeping wireless surrounds from blossoming.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    I've really been waiting to see Apple enter BIG into the Home Theater market where it should be dominant. Out there now is only Win Media Center, which is a sorry fact. There's just such an abundance of software for Wintel driving the graphics card, changing resolutions etc, software players and more and so embaressing little for the mac. I really want to go mac ALL the way!
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

If they can incorporate their airtunes inside the iPod Hi-fi

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

this will be a great idea. You can play all your song you have in iTunes wirelessly. This will be an advantage on competitor.

Also AM/FM of course.

I would buy one in a second. I would have the option to use my computer, or if I wanted to I could plug in my iPod. I would use the iPod as an alarm clock.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 38 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macaddict16 View Post

I would buy one in a second. I would have the option to use my computer, or if I wanted to I could plug in my iPod. I would use the iPod as an alarm clock.

There are already several alarm clock radio units on the market. The iPod itself also has a built-in alarm clock which you could feed into a stereo or computer line in.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There are already several alarm clock radio units on the market. The iPod itself also has a built-in alarm clock which you could feed into a stereo or computer line in.

Well i really love my Hi-Fi. Even though it has some issues in the

high frequency field, because the Hi-Fi is lacking decent tweeters.

But i can cope with it.

I'd buy another iPod Hi-Fi instantly in a heartbeat,

IF Apple adresses this issue and

IF Apple integrates wireless streaming capabilities.

Also, i don't care, if the Hi-Fi becomes slightly larger.

Or If Apple goes the route Teufel went.

This beast is gorgeous, really.Teufel
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Well i really love my Hi-Fi. Even though it has some issues in the

high frequency field, because the Hi-Fi is lacking decent tweeters.

But i can cope with it.

I'd buy another iPod Hi-Fi instantly in a heartbeat,

IF Apple adresses this issue and

IF Apple integrates wireless streaming capabilities.

Also, i don't care, if the Hi-Fi becomes slightly larger.

Or If Apple goes the route Teufel went. This beast is gorgeous,

and probably sounds superb, really.