80GB iPhone?!?!?!?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Anyone else watch the 'how to activate and sync the iPhone' video?

If not check it out and pay close attention when its shows how 'iTunes shows you how much room you have left on your iPhone' The space used indicator bar indicates that the iPhone has 70 some odd GB of space available!!! Neat trick but I'm guessing someone screwed up when they produced the video.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    I caught that.

Someone is gonna get a real talking to in the marketing department.

(PS. I really like the plans, from AT&T)
  • Reply 2 of 22
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    I really did get me to thinking tho....

8 GB is dern tiny given the power and potential this phone has... I'm seriously considering holding out till a 16 or 32 GB model becomes available.

Oh for a REAL 80G iPhone!

Dave
  • Reply 3 of 22
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    I immediately caught that while watching the video, but under the info tab it says its a 8 GB model. Perhaps they were using the new video ipod 80GB (minus the phone) by mistake?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rumor_Addict View Post

I'm not so sure we wont see higher capacity iPhones out the gate. 4 and 8 gigs is so woefully inadequate for music/photos/video. You're phone would fill up instantly and you would have to do loads of data management to move things on and off all the time. I think we may get a little surprise on capacity when the phone is released.

I'll take that bet.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    I'm not so sure we wont see higher capacity iPhones out the gate. 4 and 8 gigs is so woefully inadequate for music/photos/video. You're phone would fill up instantly and you would have to do loads of data management to move things on and off all the time. I think we may get a little surprise on capacity when the phone is released.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rumor_Addict View Post

If so... that certainly would explain the reason for the 'no cameras in the stock room' policy that I had read about... but I'm still not too sure it's something that we can seriously consider at this point in time.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm wondering if Apple.com on Friday evening will say something like:

"Oops. We forgot the Zeros.

iPhone. 40 or 80GB. Same prices."
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I'm wondering if Apple.com on Friday evening will say something like:

"Oops. We forgot the Zeros.

iPhone. 40 or 80GB. Same prices."

More like, "Oops. We forgot the decimal points in our promotional video"

Or, "Oops. That was Steve's iPhone."
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

More like, "Oops. We forgot the decimal points in our promotional video"

Or, "Oops. That was Steve's iPhone."

I say it was foreshadowing. hinting that "this is what the new ipod is going to look like when you plug it into itunes" or something. I haven't watched the video, but that's my guess anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I don't see how this could be if the iPhone is using NAND flash memory. Has anyone seen rumors that would indicate that NAND flash has risen to 40-80gb capacities? Sure, it may be HDD, but that flies in the face of the battery life claims... We'll all know on Friday, I guess...
  • Reply 11 of 22
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if they change the capacity don't they need fcc clearence and if so we wuld hear about it. i guess no surprises then
  • Reply 12 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apple could theoretically combine smaller chips together to reach those capacities.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Apple could theoretically combine smaller chips together to reach those capacities.

Wouldn't they run into space/size issues?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You know, the simplest explanation is usually the best one...

They started with an iPod screenshot, and forgot to edit that bit.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I caught this this morning as well, and have since watched the video again. The video now clearly shows 8GB total space. Pretty funny, if you ask me.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    jbf13jbf13 Posts: 39member
    That would be amazing! 40GB and 80GB But they would not do that
  • Reply 17 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    If it was 80GB, that would be the only thing about the iphone that might interest me. If people can make 300GB perpendicular recorded 2.5" drives, Apple could hire someone to make 80GB 1-inch drives:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/13/s...ch-hard-drive/

That was from over a year ago.

I doubt it though. People knock their phones about more than they would an MP3 player so I think flash is the only way to go and we all know how expensive flash is so 80GB at the moment would be out of the question.

Some people seem to believe otherwise:

http://vim3.wordpress.com/2007/05/28...-up-his-sleve/

but I don't buy it. It would be awesome if the iphone *is* the new video ipod with 40GB and 80GB but I think it's too far fetched. I have to say though, that would put sales right through the roof because right now people think it's just a cool phone, the huge number of ipod owners would then think it's also a very cool ipod (which I doubt many of them are thinking right now with such low storage).

The big problem I see with any consideration of large capacity flash devices is that I don't think Apple would get exclusivity over it. It's just too useful and it would be in the news by now.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    tycoonjotycoonjo Posts: 10member
    We'll have to wait 1 year for the 80gig version I guess
  • Reply 19 of 22
    OMG... I watched it this morning and it said 74.4 GBs and now they changed it back to 7.24!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: did anyone dl the video this before they updated it so we can have proof in screen shots?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

yeah... but its a continuous shot and when they zoomed out from the the capacity bar it showed the iPhone as the device.

w/e Idk... we'll find out on Friday I guess.