iMac Screen/Processor speed opinions sought!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a cheap Windows laptop which is 2 years old and becoming noticeably slower. Given the 'throw-away' attitude producers have with such machines it's time for a new computer, and as the laptop hasn't moved in 2 years (taking it home once hardly counts!) I needn't buy another.

I have used Macs for editing with Final Cut, and enjoyed the experience. I've also had plenty of time to mess about on the one Mac at work, and think that this is the way to go for me: I do not want to give myself headaches with Vista!

Having waited patiently for Leopard, it's now time to buy. I know I want an iMac, and I can afford any of the four configurations offered on Apple's UK store. I simply don't have enough information to decide on the little points!

I'll use the iMac as my home computer - so email, internet browsing, some basic word processing and spreadsheet tasks. I'll also probably put windows on the mac for the one or two things I can't run under OSX and don't want to buy new (AutoCAD for one).

Given that I have some experience with FCP, I might get hold of FC Express, and start editing some of the random things I have lying around, but given that this also means purchasing something to play back DV tapes, it's not a short term goal.

Essentially, I would like opinions on the processor speed and screen size. As has already been mentioned here and elsewhere the 'basic' hard drives are roomy enough, and external ones very cheap now, so I needn't worry about disk space, and memory is something I'll deal with from a 3rd party, given Apple's prices.

Is there really a difference between 2.0, 2.4 and 2.8 GHz processors? Or at least, one that's likely to be noticeable?

How about display size? The iMac I've used before had a 20" display and was at least 2 feet away from the user. I'm used to a 15" display just the other side of the keyboard.

I am having trouble visualising a 24" screen, and would like to know where others put/would put theirs, and how useful the extra space really is (against a 20").

Apologies for the lengthy post, I hope the extra info helps add sensible context to the questions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techthree View Post

Essentially, I would like opinions on the processor speed and screen size. As has already been mentioned here and elsewhere the 'basic' hard drives are roomy enough, and external ones very cheap now, so I needn't worry about disk space, and memory is something I'll deal with from a 3rd party, given Apple's prices.

Is there really a difference between 2.0, 2.4 and 2.8 GHz processors? Or at least, one that's likely to be noticeable?

How about display size? The iMac I've used before had a 20" display and was at least 2 feet away from the user. I'm used to a 15" display just the other side of the keyboard.

I am having trouble visualising a 24" screen, and would like to know where others put/would put theirs, and how useful the extra space really is (against a 20").

Apologies for the lengthy post, I hope the extra info helps add sensible context to the questions.

I use my computer for about the same things you want to do - maybe a little more - and for me, the 'sweet spot' for the iMac would be the 24" 2.4 considering the additional cost of the 2.8 GHz computer.

I've been using a 22" ACD for 5 years since I bought my first Mac. Some months back, I bought another flat panel monitor and I'm using it as an extension. I love all that real estate. I could never go back to anything smaller. It's great being able to put everything you need on the display and not having to keep moving stuff around as you need it. The Mac I have now is 800 MHz, so the 2.4 would be a great leap forward. However, until I got "New Computer Fever", the 800 did everything I needed. Even it was far beyond the computers I had used for 20 years before I got the Mac. In fact, I might buy a Mac Mini, as it would do everything I need - and then some. What I would like - if you have been reading these threads - is a Mid tower because it is upgradeable. Fat chance of Apple building one.

All the info above is ONLY my opinion and I'm sure other AI members are going to give you more advice. In the long run, only you can decide what fits your wallet, your desk, and your aesthetic desires. No matter what you end up buying, it will do what you want to do. You got along with inferior machines in the past, and any new Mac you buy will be better. You used a PC as a tool. You'll love the Mac.