Migraine sufferers / Alu iMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Any other migraine sufferers who use the new alu iMacs noticed that they're getting a hell of a lot more auras?

I own two (one at home and one in the studio) and they are great machines ? but having used them for some time now I've started to notice that I'm suffering from a dramatic increase in the number of auras that I'm experiencing ? often it's just a aura without any other symptoms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Sometimes I feel a bit strange after using the alum iMac for long periods of time. Nothing too serious, I just go sleep it off (usually use it at night).

It's more of a lightheaded-ish feeling? It's pretty hard to put it into words.

What exactly do you feel? What's your definition of "aura?"
  • Reply 2 of 16
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    An aura is a visual anomaly ? usually flashing or patterned lights. Mine are mostly like sun spots, and I usually notice them first when I look at someone and half their face is missing or if characters are missing on a number plate. It's like you're looking straight at something and you can't see it. The brain seems to fill in the blanks.

The annoying thing is that as soon as you shift you're eyes to look at the affected area, the aura moves as well so you rarely see what the aura actually looks like.

If I close my eyes I see fractal-like patterns that are constantly shimmering...

It makes some everyday tasks, like driving, impossible. I've often had to sit in a car park and wait for the aura to disappear. Once the aura disappears, that's when the real fun starts... sickness, numbness, speech disorder, hot and cold sweats, paralysis...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ugg. now i know what youre talking about. thats only happened to me a few times, but it wasn't related to the iMac.

My feeling after using the iMac for a while is more of dizzy/nauseous one. But it isn't anything that bothers me too bad.

I imagine if I got migraines just as you do, I'd be experiencing the exact same thing. = [

I'm sorry to hear that it happens. I wonder what the true issue is?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Maybe I'm just putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5 ? but I do seem to be getting a lot of migraines since I started using the new iMacs 14 hours a day.

I guess sitting with my nose on the screen for that length of time, trying to distinguish what's on the screen from the reflections on the screen, isn't doing me any favours.

Which is a pity because the iMacs are absolutely amazing otherwise...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Maybe you should check this with the doc, not the Apple Genius.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

I do seem to be getting a lot of migraines since I started using the new iMacs 14 hours a day.

were you using the previous machine(s) that much?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

were you using the previous machine(s) that much?

Oh God yeah.

And the Doc tells me there's nothing he can do for me ? I've just got to keep a diary of what I eat and what I do

And the new iMacs are all that's changed recently...
  • Reply 8 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I've gotten those auras before but I haven't suffered serious migraine headaches since I was a child (thank FSM, those sucked!).
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Well I've been using a MacBook Pro / Cinema Display combo for a couple of weeks now, and so far, no auras!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    user23user23 Posts: 199member
    hey folks.

I used to have what are known as Cluster Headaches.

On the pain scale, the pain from these "headaches" was _way_ over the top. The pain scale is rated from 1-10, my cluster headaches were typically at....15-20....as in, passing out from the pain with much screaming beforehand. Total horror for 12 years of my life.

F**k your Western doctor..they have _no_ help for migraine/cluster headaches except for some rather nasty drugs with even nastier "side" effects.

Eventually, I went to an acupuncturist...it's been 2 years since my last cluster headache and I know I'll never have one again.

Please, go to an LAc and put an end to your suffering. Perfect pain relief won't happen instantly, but over time..you will eventually never suffer again..
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user23 View Post

hey folks.

I used to have what are known as Cluster Headaches.

On the pain scale, the pain from these "headaches" was _way_ over the top. The pain scale is rated from 1-10, my cluster headaches were typically at....15-20....as in, passing out from the pain with much screaming beforehand. Total horror for 12 years of my life.

F**k your Western doctor..they have _no_ help for migraine/cluster headaches except for some rather nasty drugs with even nastier "side" effects.

Eventually, I went to an acupuncturist...it's been 2 years since my last cluster headache and I know I'll never have one again.

Please, go to an LAc and put an end to your suffering. Perfect pain relief won't happen instantly, but over time..you will eventually never suffer again..

Oh man, I've heard about cluster headaches!

That's supposed to be 'suicide inducing' stuff.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you ? and thanks for the advice!

• Reply 12 of 16
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Any other migraine sufferers who use the new alu iMacs noticed that they're getting a hell of a lot more auras?

I own two (one at home and one in the studio) and they are great machines ? but having used them for some time now I've started to notice that I'm suffering from a dramatic increase in the number of auras that I'm experiencing ? often it's just a aura without any other symptoms.

Just a thought...

Could it be the reflections from the glossy screen? I have noticed a lot more eye strain from using my new iMac. Prior to it I had a PowerMac with a 17" matte screen and I had no problems.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Never had problems with migraines or anything on any of my old computers. Got an iMac on Saturday, and earlier today within minutes of using it I could barely see, I was experiencing auras and my head was throbbing, it was terrible. I turned it straight off, and though people may not want to know it actually made me physically sick several times. Back to my old PC...for now.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

My migraine attacks have just recently been greatly accentuated and more frequent. This loosely corresponds to the purchase of a new large screen iMac.

My visual auras are usually induced by some visual stimulus-- the glint of sunlight off a car bumper, a flash of sunlight from a suddenly opened window blind, etc. My aura is a scintillating scotoma. I can best describe it as looking like a silver cookie cutter with the center of the "cutter" representing blind spots in my visual field. The edges of the scotoma are jagged and sparkle sort of like the old movie marquees.

I certainly can't exclude the possibility that the use of my new iMac has had some effect. My previous main computer screen consists of an Apple Studio Display next to a Dell 20 inch screen.

John
  • Reply 15 of 16
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I have a 24" imac (white case) and it is ok as long as the room lighting matches the general brightness of the display. I have used CRT screens before and suffer from issues with migraines way more than with the non reflective iMac screen. It is because of this that i refrained from picking p a new Alu iMac as I knew that the reflective surface would be an issue.

I found that the best way to avoid headaches is to take a break and look out of a window or go outside and focus on an object which is uite a distance away, this alwayshelps me alleviate any eye strain or headaches caused by VDU's.

P.S.

Merry Christmas all

&

Have a Happy New Year.

• Reply 16 of 16
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    My ophthalmologist calls the auras "ophthalmic migraines'. I don't get the headache anymore - just the aura.

The doctor does tell me that he can't do anything for me and has advised me to see a neurologist IF the auras become frequent.

Messiah's description is very good. My auras are in the same place as he suggests. Mine look like crumpled cellophane with each facet a different color tinge. However, I get them from stress, not a monitor.