MacBook wireless suffering after recent Mac OS X updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    That was the same problem I was having. Resetting it (small hole in the back of the Airport Extreme) has fixed the problem. I had that problem before Leopard.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    On an MBP 2.4 with 10.4.11 I've replaced /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext with the earlier version (1.6) from the 10.4.10 update manually, since then I have no drop-out problems.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghosh9691 View Post

Very interesting! I bought a MacBook in late September with Tiger 10.4.10 on it. Right from the day, wireless has been troublesome! I do not run Windows on this, but also have a Thinkpad running Vista. When placed side-by-side, the Thinkpad will maintain strong signal averaging 75-85% whereas the MacBook will connect and reconnect often, particularly when on battery power or when resuming! Upgrading to 10.4.11 does not seem to fix the issue - I can detect no increase (or decrease) in stability of the wireless connection.

I hope Apple rolls out a patch for this issue soon...

I have had this problem on my NEW 24" iMac "Extreme" since I got it. There is an entire discussion of this problem going on in the Apple discussion forums.

I hoped 10.5.1 would fix it but no...
  • Reply 24 of 56
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Since moving my MacBook to Leopard I've run into wireless issues. Basically on resuming from sleep OS X cannot find my router. It'll find the other 4 or 5 wifi networks in the area but I have to shut off / turn on the wireless card for it to see my network again.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    I have a Nov 07 MacBook came with Leopard, and have issues with wireless as well. Also tried 10.5.1 and same problems. I don't really have the option to downgrade to 10.4.9...

It seems to be OK when it wakes up from sleep after a few minutes, but when I go to bed and wake up the next day, the wireless will not connect automatically. I have to stop AirPort and restart it to make it work sometimes and have to reboot other times because it won't get an IP address. Even tho it says it's connected and full signal strength. Just won't get an IP from the router.

I tried all the suggestions on most of the sites offering info on fixing wireless problems.

Also after a day or so without rebooting the machine the connection seems to die after a 10 minutes or so requiring me turn the AirPort off and on again.

I have my room mates windows machine right next to it and it works fine without any connection loss. So I think that rules out the router and the near by networks and interference.

I called Apple Support, and got routed to 3 different people. The last guy insisted even tho the windows machine works it has to be a problem with the router, because as he claims they adhere to standards and they are setting the standards. He also says this because sometimes restarting the router would also fix the issue, but I assume that is because it forces it to rebroadcast itself.

I even went bought a new router just to test another brand. Same problems. First one was a DLink, second a Linksys. I would have tried an Airport router but I don't have a apple store nearby, and I couldn't return it if I had the same problems anyways.

After me insisting it's not the router, the Apple guy had me delete a few folders, and even sigh archive and reinstall OSX, and he said my next course of action is to erase and reinstall OSX cleanly, I just got the thing a week or so earlier, 2 reinstalls seem unnecessary. I haven't called him back yet. It seems a waste of my time when there is problems they need to fix in a patch.

Hope they address this.

P.S. My power cord was plugged in during all of this.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    I have to agree that updating my System Software does do something to weaken the signal. It seems it's on the MacBook Pro 2.33 C2D side. I've already tried rebooting the router and that did not change anything.

I had to do an Archive and Install the recover my MacBook Pro. When I did, the DVD install using the base software (probably around 10.4.6 or so on my seven month old computer), I got a very strong signal that didn't waver at all. Internet Connect consistently showed all the bars at 100%. After running the Combo Updater to bring the System up to 10.4.11 the signal showed at less than half in Internet Connect.

It's not enough to cause me any serious connection problems, but as strong as the signal from the AEBSn should be, I shouldn't be getting such a weak signal at my MacBook Pro. It doesn't stay consistently weak, but it sort of fluctuates between 40% and 100% at any time of the day or night. Even in the middle of the night when neighbors would not be using any cellphones or microwave ovens. I usually leave the channel on automatic, but I've tried other channels with no apparent signal strength difference. I really think there is some code in the System Software that messes up the MacBook Pro's Airport wireless hardware.

Eventually I'll be moving to Leopard. I have it, but I'm not ready to install it yet on my MacBook Pro until Unsanity updates some of their utilities. After reading this thread, I may hold off a little longer until wireless issues are resolved to some degree.

I'm testing Leopard on my FW800 G4 1.42 dualie but that's connected by ethernet, so I haven't used wireless yet.

Would anyone know if the firmware updater on the Gigabit AEBSn is different from the pre-Gigabit model.

\
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Interesting if true. I have a September 07 MacBook and an Airport Extreme and I have no problems.

Haven't had any problems under 10.4.10, 10.5 or 10.5.1

I have always had an AEBS and I still had the issue.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Yes , my laptop was fine till upgrade. Can at least plug in power cord to get airport .. .. another upgrade needed here too. Thought maybe airport was screwed up.. here it's the software. At least Kasper is on the ball.. Thanks for the info. At least someone knows what's going on ,.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarryTheSprout View Post

I have had the same issue with my 15 inch MacBook Pro (Purchased in Aug) running Leopard and all the current patches. When I accidentally disconnect the power supply and reconnect it I loose the connection to my Linksys wireless router (WRT300N).

My MBP also has wireless problems since the Leopard update (I didn't notice anything in 10.4.10 though). NOt only does it disconnect, if I do internet speed tests my internet speed is about 1/3 of the wired connection. I rarely do file transfers internally so I'm not sure how much slower they are (but I know printing stopped working).

I know it's a problem on at least 2 wireless access points (both Belkins), and I don't think I had a problem connecting to an Airport Extreme at my parents. I have run a temporary utp cable to my laptop.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    i first started getting the problem with my old router so i replaced for airport extreme and still get the problem happens if d/loading large file and the computer is left alone for long periods of time. or if the laptops been on and idle then i go to do something 2 mins later will drop need to turn of router then search for the router again then it will pick it up. i havent noticed bat power link... my macbook is the black core 2 duo 2 gig ram one and i run leopard i was even thinking of getting rid of the mac because of this problem but im sure apple will do something about it if as many people as this are having the problem or im sure they will lose customers if they dont

i thought i was the only one so glad in a twisted way that im not
  • Reply 31 of 56
    With 10.5.0, all my laptops had an issue if you were connected to a wifi network. The wifi menu bar icon wouldn't list any other networks that were available. I'd have to go through the Assist Me wizard before I could see any other available network listed and join them.

10.5.1 fixed that. I hope I don't have to suffer through yet another wifi bug.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    I've been having this problem since I bought my macbook new about a year ago. At that time I had a Linksys wireless B router, now I have a Buffalo wireless g router running DD-WRT v23sp1. It's just something I've learned to deal with...
  • Reply 33 of 56
    I've definitely been having this problem since the switch to leopard on my MBP, not to mention suddenly every time we use the microwave I get knocked off (never happend before leopard).
  • Reply 34 of 56
    No problems with mine. Connecting to my old Airport Extreme without any issues at all.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    its a nov 07 macbook 2.2ghz. the wireless is an airport extreme. ive had no drop outs of problems at all with speed or reliability. i have found that my brother mfc 210c has been unreliable on the airport usb port though. i dont know if thats a problem with the router or elsewhere in the system
  • Reply 36 of 56
    This is the exact problem I had with my 13" Macbook for over a year, using Tiger, UNTIL we changed our wireless router from a Linksys 54G to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. The problem was somewhat intermittant, but most of the time I had to use a PING every 8 seconds to CNET to keep my connection up and running during long pauses. Once we switched to the Apple router, no more problem. Now I am running Leopard: still no problem.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    hi all,

I bought my MacBook 13.3 in early july and up until I upgraded to 10.4.11, then started the same nightmare has many here experienced.

Well, I was persuaded the problem came from the router I was connecting to ( Linksys ) but I found it odd that it occured only after a few month of no problem use. Also my friend, using a windows computer did not experience that kind of troubles.

So I ordered an airport base station from Apple (just after I ordered it I read this article). So I thought to myself "damn !... it won't help..."

But guess WHAT ?

NO MORE PROBLEM !!!

So that leads me to suspect Apple of doing some kind of trick to "force" us to buy an Airport Base Station.

This might just be a "conspiracy theory" but I am very happy that both I solved this issue and also that I purchased my Airport Base Station ( I wanted it for a long time already)

I hope this tip will help you all

• Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clement View Post

So that leads me to suspect Apple of doing some kind of trick to "force" us to buy an Airport Base Station.

This might just be a "conspiracy theory" but I am very happy that both I solved this issue and also that I purchased my Airport Base Station ( I wanted it for a long time already)

I hope this tip will help you all

Hehe... I wish. I have an airport extreme (gigabit) and my wireless connection to my Nov 2007 Macbook is inconsistent at best
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjm7496 View Post

Hehe... I wish. I have an airport extreme (gigabit) and my wireless connection to my Nov 2007 Macbook is inconsistent at best

Same here. Even called Apple, and they couldn't narrow it down (not interference, etc.). I've found the 5 ghz range drops less times... but I have one PC in the house, and you can't find a 5 ghz dual band adapter for love or money (though there is a PCcard slot version, which coupled with a PCcard PCI slot adapter could work... but boy that seems a long way to go). Worse, the airport extreme seems to "know" the worst possible time to lose connection, I swear. Conference chat with India the other day, what happens? Bugs out. I had to connect my cable modem straight into my MBP to get around it. I think my airport extreme has rudimentary intelligence... and for some reason it's laughing at me.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    Yep I'm connecting via 5ghz and still have the problem.