Apple announces iPhone 2.0 software and SDK beta

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday held a media event at its Cupertino headquarters where it previewed its iPhone 2.0 software, scheduled for release this June, and announced the immediate availability of a beta release of the software to selected developers and enterprise customers.

The iPhone 2.0 beta release includes both the iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) as well as new enterprise features such as support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync to provide secure, over-the-air push email, contacts and calendars as well as remote wipe, and the addition of Cisco IPsec VPN for encrypted access to private corporate networks.

"We?re excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community with potentially thousands of native applications for iPhone and iPod touch,? said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "iPhone?s enterprise features combined with its revolutionary Multi-Touch user interface and advanced software architecture provide the best user experience and the most advanced software platform ever for a mobile device."

Developers gain access to same APIs as Apple

The iPhone SDK will provide developers with a rich set of Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) and tools to create applications for both the iPhone and iPod touch. Starting today, anyone can download the beta iPhone SDK for free and run the iPhone Simulator on their Mac. Apple also introduced its new iPhone Developer Program, giving developers everything they need to create native applications, and the new App Store, which will allow those developers to wirelessly deliver their applications to iPhone and iPod touch users.

With the iPhone SDK, third party developers will be able to build native applications for the iPhone with the same set of rich APIs that Apple has been using to develop its own iPhone software, including programming interfaces for Core OS, Core Services, Media and Cocoa Touch technologies. Those APIs will allow developers to create applications that leverage the iPhone?s Multi-Touch user interface, animation technology, large storage, built-in three-axis accelerometer and geographical location technology to deliver innovative mobile applications.

Apple licenses Exchange ActiveSync from Microsoft

Apple also announced that it has licensed Exchange ActiveSync from Microsoft and is building it right into the iPhone, so that the handset will connect out-of-the-box to Microsoft Exchange Servers 2003 and 2007 for secure over-the-air push email, contacts, calendars and global address lists.

Built-in Exchange ActiveSync support also enables security features such as remote wipe, password policies and auto-discovery. In addition, the iPhone 2.0 software supports Cisco IPsec VPN to ensure the highest level of IP-based encryption available for transmission of sensitive corporate data, as well as the ability to authenticate using digital certificates or password-based, multi-factor authentication. The addition of WPA2 Enterprise with 802.1x authentication enables enterprise customers to deploy iPhone and iPod touch with the latest standards for protection of Wi-Fi networks.

Furthermore, Apple said the iPhone 2.0 software will provide a configuration utility that allows IT administrators to easily and quickly set up many iPhones, including password policies, VPN setting, installing certificates, email server settings and more. Once the configuration is defined it can be easily and securely delivered via web link or email to the user. To install, all the user has to do is authenticate with a user ID or password, download the configuration and tap install. Once installed, the user will have access to all their corporate IT services.

The Apple "App Store"

The iPhone 2.0 software release will contain the App Store, a new application that lets users browse, search, purchase and wirelessly download third party applications directly onto their iPhone or iPod touch, and will enable developers to reach every iPhone and iPod touch user.

Developers will be able to set the price for their applications -- or make their applications free -- and retain 70 percent of all sales revenues. Users can download free applications at no charge to either the user or developer, or purchase priced applications with just one click. Enterprise customers will be able to create a secure, private page on the App Store accessible only by their employees. Apple will cover all credit card, web hosting, infrastructure and DRM costs associated with offering applications on the App Store. However, all third party iPhone and iPod touch applications must be approved by Apple and no Apps will be authorized for distribution outside the App Store.

The iPhone development envoirnment

In addition to the rich set of iPhone OS APIs, the iPhone SDK also provides advanced tools for creating native iPhone and iPod touch applications including: Xcode for source code editing, project management and graphical debugging; Interface Builder with drag and drop interface creation and live preview; Instruments to monitor and optimize iPhone application performance in real time; and the iPhone Simulator to run and debug applications.

During the beta iPhone SDK program, a limited number of developers will be accepted into Apple?s new iPhone Developer Program and offered the ability to get code onto iPhones for testing. The Standard Program costs $99 (US) per year and gives members an iPhone SDK and development tools; access to pre-release iPhone software; technical support; the ability to get code onto iPhones for testing; and distribution of applications via the new App Store. The Enterprise Program costs $299 (US) per year. All developers will also be issued a digital certificate that will be embedded into their applications, assuring that Apple can track all applications and prevent malicious software from infecting users' phones.

In addition to these new iPhone network and security features, the beta iPhone 2.0 software provides several new Mail features such as the ability to view PowerPoint attachments, in addition to Word and Excel, as well as the ability to mass delete and move email messages.

Pricing & Availability

Apple plans to release the final iPhone 2.0 software, including the iPhone SDK and new enterprise features, as a free software update for all iPhone customers by the end of June.

Third party applications created for the iPhone will also run on the iPod touch, and iPod touch users will be required to purchase a software update to run these applications.

The free beta iPhone SDK is available immediately worldwide and can be downloaded at here. The iPhone Developer Program will initially be available in the US and will expand to other countries in the coming months. Apple is accepting applications beginning today from enterprise customers who would like to join the private iPhone Enterprise Beta Program.

Additional details and a full compilation of notes from today's presentation are available here.

More news from today's Apple event

Apple's iPhone takes on the Enterprise

Apple posts iPhone Software Roadmap event stream

Coming to iPhone: Instant Messenger, EA's Spore, SEGA games

Notes from Apple's iPhone Software Roadmap event

Comments

• Reply 1 of 184
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Anybody want to reassess their feelings on 10 million iPhones in 2008?
  • Reply 2 of 184
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yes, and.... ...it's about bloody time.
  • Reply 3 of 184
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Anybody want to reassess their feelings on 10 million iPhones in 2008?

I do! Make it 15 million.
  • Reply 4 of 184
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Just bought one, the scumbags at ATT are hawking the enterprise plans (starting at $45 without voice) even though the actual platform is in BETA!!!

there were several people buying iPhones today, at least 4 were sold while I was there (4-5 minutes)
  • Reply 5 of 184
    This is really exciting, and I absolutely cannot wait until developer.apple.com starts working again and I can get my hands on the SDK!

A lot of people on the rumor forums will probably complain that new stuff for regular users wasn't released today, but try and understand - this was always going to be an announcement for developers. I am really, really glad that we can download a beta of the SDK and get started right away - I was worried that they'd just announce more details and make us wait some more.

There are going to be a lot of exciting iPhone applications appearing very soon!
  • Reply 6 of 184
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    That SDK is looking like a pretty hot download...they can't even keep the download page up much less the download itself.

The big question will be how much of that is people who will release real apps, and how many downloading just to take it for a spin but with no intention of ever releasing an app?
  • Reply 7 of 184
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adrian.oconnor View Post

There are going to be a lot of exciting iPhone applications appearing very soon!

To say the least!
  • Reply 8 of 184
    I'm gonna just take it for a spin first, but later hope to think up some good/useful apps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

That SDK is looking like a pretty hot download...they can't even keep the download page up much less the download itself.

The big question will be how much of that is people who will release real apps, and how many downloading just to take it for a spin but with no intention of ever releasing an app?

• Reply 9 of 184
    And How! (as in howz about time!)
  • Reply 10 of 184
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    I just got slugged for the last update to the iPod touch. I was willing to wear that but this time I have had enough. I am buying a Nokia N810. At least they don't charge you for every software update they couldn't be bothered getting ready before the release of the product, and they don't try to charge the developer of software a 30% fee just to have it in the store and they don't charge a $99 fee just to get it up there. Come on. I agree that Apple innovates but seriously this is not innovation. It is gross Capitalism. People might say well you have a choice not to buy Apple and you are right. I don't have to buy into this and so I am not. C U l8r Apple. Maybe when you work out your accounting. Oh and if there are laws in the US that state you have to charge for the update can you please explain how those laws relate to the rest of the world? Australia has no such stupid law. If I was not already burnt by Apple's regluar and intense update plan with their computers and now the iPod touch I would probably be a little happier and just stick with the Jailbroken iPod Touch. But the thing is I don't have to. The N810 is made to write software for and it can link with my phone so that I never have to move the phone but can just use the N810. The more I hear about it the more I want one. Correction. I really wanted an Apple iPod touch thinking that Apple had finally made a product that could do so much. I just didn't realize that they were going to limit it so much.

At the end of the presentation Steve Jobbs should have said "So anyone that already has an iPod touch, thanks. And anyone that doesn't you would be an idiot to buy one now"
  • Reply 11 of 184
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    How much is access to the APIs going to inform us of whether or not this thing runs OS X, as promised?
  • Reply 12 of 184
    Ok, maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about developers getting access to the dock connector with the new SDK. Did I miss something?
  • Reply 13 of 184
    modzmodz Posts: 13member
    @ ALPICH

Don't let the door hit you on the way out to nokia-world
  • Reply 14 of 184
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Apple did a really excellent job today. But still, you will hear people whining about the 3G and camera

It seems that Apple want everyone to develop software for the iPhone. Expect more than just App Stre from Apple (iCha .. etc). I hope Apple or someone else do a word processor for the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 184
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALPICH View Post

I just got slugged for the last update to the iPod touch. I was willing to wear that but this time I have had enough. I am buying a Nokia N810. At least they don't charge you for every software update they couldn't be bothered getting ready before the release of the product, and they don't try to charge the developer of software a 30% fee just to have it in the store and they don't charge a $99 fee just to get it up there. Come on. I agree that Apple innovates but seriously this is not innovation. It is gross Capitalism. People might say well you have a choice not to buy Apple and you are right. I don't have to buy into this and so I am not. C U l8r Apple. Maybe when you work out your accounting. Oh and if there are laws in the US that state you have to charge for the update can you please explain how those laws relate to the rest of the world? Australia has no such stupid law. If I was not already burnt by Apple's regluar and intense update plan with their computers and now the iPod touch I would probably be a little happier and just stick with the Jailbroken iPod Touch. But the thing is I don't have to. The N810 is made to write software for and it can link with my phone so that I never have to move the phone but can just use the N810. The more I hear about it the more I want one. Correction. I really wanted an Apple iPod touch thinking that Apple had finally made a product that could do so much. I just didn't realize that they were going to limit it so much.

At the end of the presentation Steve Jobbs should have said "So anyone that already has an iPod touch, thanks. And anyone that doesn't you would be an idiot to buy one now"

Dude, either you're grossly misinformed, or just completely naive, but iPhone owners are definitely paying for these updates too. It comes right out of our monthly AT&T phone bill. I really can't see what you're griping about here.

If Apple were charging you a monthly fee to use your iPod touch, then you'd have a shit load to complain about, but really now, Apple is not trying to rip you off. There's a lot of work that goes into these software updates, and the benefits will most definitely be worth the cost. If you disagree, that's fine, you will not be forced to install the update.
  • Reply 16 of 184
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wirc View Post

How much is access to the APIs going to inform us of whether or not this thing runs OS X, as promised?

There's no doubt that the iPhone runs OS X.
  • Reply 17 of 184
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:

I just got slugged for the last update to the iPod touch. I was willing to wear that but this time I have had enough. I am buying a Nokia N810. At least they don't charge you for every software update they couldn't be bothered getting ready before the release of the product, and they don't try to charge the developer of software a 30% fee .........

1) It is up to the developers to charge the fee - they can give it away for free if they wish, and Apple gets to keep only 30% of free.

2) If you're suggesting that Apple should provide its imprimatur/website/web-hosting/potential for liability etc etc for free, you're smoking something.

3) Sayonara! Enjoy your N810. (Report back to us in a year, will you, on how you like it).
  • Reply 18 of 184
    I do hope that the possibilities to BUY apps in the App Store won?t be cost me 20 Dollar or 18 Euro again, they better make it cheaper than the last update. If it?s just for accounting purposes anything like 5 to 10 dollars should be sufficient, or is there a certain value specified? Any one proficient in accounting and/or Sarbannes-Oxley?

The n-update for the Airport Extreme was priced competitively (2 Euro) plus Apple let you apply it on every mac in your possession. Something that?s not legally accomplished with the Application Pack.
  • Reply 19 of 184
    tbehunintbehunin Posts: 56member
    All these announcements are great! But for crying out loud, can they PULEEEEASE add cut/paste?! Sheesh...
  • Reply 20 of 184
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

If I was not already burnt by Apple's regluar and intense update plan with their computers

Just who exactly held a gun to your head and forced you to buy any of Apple's updates to their computers?

Quote:

and now the iPod touch

Which does exactly the same stuff that it did when you bought it. If that wasn't enough for you, why did you buy it?

It's obvious that the iPod Touch is much more a "palmtop computer" than "iPod", so it really shouldn't be surprising that significant updates in functionality (i.e., an OS upgrade) is going to be charged for, just as a significant OS X upgrade is charged for. If an update comes out and the functionality it offers is worth to you whatever they are charging for it, buy it; otherwise don't. Simple.