Fresh Fresh Foods for spring / summer

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Spring is in the air and summer is on the way (forgive me if you live in a different season). This thread is an invitation for you to share your culinary gems with all of us who are searching for a new dimension to "fresh".

Please be creative and don't hold back with great fresh food ideas!

Here is my little link to a cool vid to get this thread off to a good start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HasvyM_ZktM

Your turn,

Fellows

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Spring is in the air and summer is on the way (forgive me if you live in a different season). This thread is an invitation for you to share your culinary gems with all of us who are searching for a new dimension to "fresh".

Please be creative and don't hold back with great fresh food ideas!

Here is my little link to a cool vid to get this thread off to a good start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HasvyM_ZktM

Your turn,

Fellows

I have no idea what seasonal foods are... it's an area where I'm completely ignorant...

Strawberries in the summer, peaches in the winter? Is that right?

But I do know that chili peppers are great in hot weather because of their cooling properties. In Texas I bet you can get some of the best, spiciest, home-cooked style mexican food.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I have no idea what seasonal foods are... it's an area where I'm completely ignorant...

Strawberries in the summer, peaches in the winter? Is that right?

But I do know that chili peppers are great in hot weather because of their cooling properties. In Texas I bet you can get some of the best, spiciest, home-cooked style mexican food.

Absolutely!

In the fall you see people eat stews, with potatoes, carrots beef. Heavy foods. Comfort foods etc. In the Spring however when the sun starts to shine and the april showers arrive people start to see all the colors of the rainbow as it pertains to fresh produce which is far less (root vegetable) centric as in the fall type harvests and foods.

Fellows
  • Reply 3 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Green Rice

This recipe is outstanding.

A few ingredients stand out: cilantro, lime, garlic, poblano and jalapenos. I would take her advice to heart though and test the hotness of the poblano before adding the jalapeno. You might not need it or need only half instead. Also, when roasting the peppers, make sure they're really charred, otherwise skinning them will be a pain.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Green Rice

This recipe is outstanding.

A few ingredients stand out: cilantro, lime, garlic, poblano and jalapenos. I would take her advice to heart though and test the hotness of the poblano before adding the jalapeno. You might not need it or need only half instead. Also, when roasting the peppers, make sure they're really charred, otherwise skinning them will be a pain.

That looks Great!

Fellows
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Do you cook too, Shawn? You're a wonan's dream... just hope with lawyering and doctoring the 2 of you have time for eachother... that's the sad thing about life these days, and why I choose to be a part-time teacher.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Do you cook too, Shawn? You're a woman's dream...

:::throws up:::
  • Reply 7 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Don't be so quick to dismiss the charms of a wonan.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I can't believe you googled it adda...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Had to. It just looked too promising.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Asparagus Risotto.

Mark Bittman recipe adapted from Mario Batali.

It's definitely a good one, although I used 3/4 cup of rice, 1 cup of pinot grigio, and 4 tbsp of butter. I'd also err on the side of more asparagus for the puree. Asparagus puree is surprisingly mild tasting, and if you add too little, the rice just sucks everything up. So, the soupier, the better! Also, timing is an issue for when you add the asparagus pieces: too late and it's raw; too early and it becomes textureless. Obviously, you want to avoid both since the texture of asparagus is half the reason people eat it in the first place.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    4 tbsp of butter?

Fatty!