Apple and the "Year of HD"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well Jobs said a few years ago that it was the year of HD. Well sorry to burst anyone's bubble but it seems like 2009 will be the first real year of HD.

By that time there will be enough Blu ray players (affordable) and titles to buy for them that people will consider upgrading their homes

At the same time they need to upgrade their computers.

Apple was apparently talking with Sony

So when do u except Apple to include blu ray drives in mbps

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by welcomb View Post

Well Jobs said a few years ago that it was the year of HD. Well sorry to burst anyone's bubble but it seems like 2009 will be the first real year of HD.

By that time there will be enough Blu ray players (affordable) and titles to buy for them that people will consider upgrading their homes

At the same time they need to upgrade their computers.

Apple was apparently talking with Sony

So when do u except Apple to include blu ray drives in mbps

Why?

HD barely looks better on a 32" HDTV. Do people honestly expect HD to look good on a 13/15/17" screen?

"But hmurchison....people want to backup their data to Blu-ray 50GB discs"

Perhaps but with Time Machine and Time Capsule Apple's already offering a superior solution. You can backup all the data you want on multiple discs but that's offline storage. Time Capsule allows me to backup my data and know that it's always there for restoring. Whether that be a single file or everything my data is nearline.

I want Blu-ray attached the the only device that makes sense. A large HDTV for playing back my movies. Why doesn't Sony just take Apple up on it's offer and put 720p versions of the movies on those 50GB discs? That way you just unlock the movie to a nice smaller version for putting on your laptop. Ooops forgot..Managed Copy died a quiet death.

Well as they say in Thailand. Phuket.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

HD barely looks better on a 32" HDTV. Do people honestly expect HD to look good on a 13/15/17" screen?

Of course. If the content that is/will be distributed in the market through disks is the same as the one seen in HD trailers in Apple's site, then the difference with common DVD is more than noticeable to my eyes. And this on 12", 13" and 15" portable displays.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Of course. If the content that is/will be distributed in the market through disks is the same as the one seen in HD trailers in Apple's site, then the difference with common DVD is more than noticeable to my eyes. And this on 12", 13" and 15" portable displays.

DVD will not be the benchmark. The benchmark will be HD downloads from iTunes. I've yet to see one for comparison.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

"But hmurchison....people want to backup their data to Blu-ray 50GB discs"

Perhaps but with Time Machine and Time Capsule Apple's already offering a superior solution. You can backup all the data you want on multiple discs but that's offline storage. Time Capsule allows me to backup my data and know that it's always there for restoring. Whether that be a single file or everything my data is nearline.

Ever have a power spike take out ALL your hard drives at once?

thats what optical storage is for, offline/online isnt "better" just different
  • Reply 5 of 10
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

DVD will not be the benchmark. The benchmark will be HD downloads from iTunes. I've yet to see one for comparison.

So how can you possibly comment on the good or bad points? other than from a "I've read the spec sheets" point of view, and anyone should know that won't tell you EVERYTHING about the EXPERIANCE.

note how "some" wince phones on paper "outshine" the iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

The original poster talks about "year of HD" and Jobs' declaration about it. This immediately brings forth the juxtaposition of high- and single- definition video in terms of media disks, not what iTunes is going to offer as download. So I am not sure if I really follow you here.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Ever have a power spike take out ALL your hard drives at once?

thats what optical storage is for, offline/online isnt "better" just different

Never. And I disagree..the speed and fluidity in which you can replace files from a system of snapshots is unparalled. There's a reason why companies left optical a long time ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

So how can you possibly comment on the good or bad points? other than from a "I've read the spec sheets" point of view, and anyone should know that won't tell you EVERYTHING about the EXPERIANCE.

note how "some" wince phones on paper "outshine" the iPhone.

Because 720p is noticably better than DVD and it's relatively easy to download. Specs surely mislead at times. My HDTV doesn't show better than 720p resolution but I see pictures coming in HD that drop my jaw and I think "Hell I don't really need 1080 unless my screen size is 60" or larger". Don't get me wrong...Apple "is" going to support Blu-ray but the just may not do it with the alacrity that many want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

The original poster talks about "year of HD" and Jobs' declaration about it. This immediately brings forth the juxtaposition of high- and single- definition video in terms of media disks, not what iTunes is going to offer as download. So I am not sure if I really follow you here.

The OP opined about when Blu-ray would be added to the MBP and likely it would be 2009. while I think this is plausible I don't think that the addition of Blu-ray suddenly "blesses" the Mac as HD.

Hell I have access to HD content right now. Mac users, with the right software, could burn Red Laser discs with HD content. I hope to see Blu-ray come but right now there's not enough product and the pricing is a bit high. Here's to hoping they get things back on track by the end of this year.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    welcombwelcomb Posts: 39member
    So my original intention was to say that when Jobs said it was "The Year of HD" (i believe in 2006, might be wrong), that he was wrong

Because realistically, i think that people will be buying BDs like they do DVDs come Christmas 2009. So that means it is mass market

But apple is usually ahead of the curve (and now that the HD war is over, nothing is stopping them)

So when do people think that you will see Blu ray Drives (dual layer write) in MBPs

Options ive thought of

1) Montevina + Penryn Refresh this Summer (possible b/c Intel adds native HDMI/DisplayPort (i think apple will use DisplayPort soon as standard) and HD video decoding in their chips)

2) Calpella + Nehalem next Spring (im thinking this is the latest they would do it b/c everything they need would be widely available, if they wanted to implement it)

BTW to include BD Drives they would have to update DVD Player to Disc Player (for DVD and BD)

this would allow them to then update the pro apps (such as FCS and Logic Studio to include the new codecs and BD structure)

PS: to answer that you wont see the difference (watch a HD download(still lower quality than BD) from the Quicktime Trailers gallery and watch a SD one, there is a BIG difference)

When you watch TV, you are about 10 feet away, when youre in front of a screen u are 10 inches away
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Steve Jobs said 'The Year of HD' has nothing to do with high-def player nor content.

It was back in 2005 and he showed off Final Cut Express HD. It's more like high-def video editing for consuming pricing.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I've read in numerous places to be compatible with the so-called hi definition disc formats, you need to implement crushing anti consumer DRM system wide.

This is reason alone to never officially support such consumer hostile formats.