Apple releases iPhone and iPod touch software 2.0 [see warning]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple this afternoon officially released version 2.0 of iPhone software for both first-generation iPhones and the iPod touch. iPhone users, however, should not attempt to install the update at this time due to ongoing Apple server issues.

iPhone Software 2.0

Earlier this morning, first-generation iPhone owners who connected their phones to iTunes were told that they could finally download and install iPhone Software v2.0. However, an official announcement regarding the software's release was not issued until 1:05 p.m. Eastern time.

Still, the upgrade process has proven to be nothing but a frustrating disaster for a large number of users due to the ongoing iPhone 3G launch, which has in recent hours also turned into a meltdown. The iPhone Software 2.0 updater is completely different than earlier updaters, in that it completely erases all of the data on first-generation iPhones in order to perform the new software install, and therefore temporarily deactivates them as well.

Once the iPhone 2.0 software install finishes, iTunes then tries to connect to Apple's remote iTunes servers and authorized a reactivation of the phones. However, those remote iTunes servers are the same servers being pounded with requests from hundreds of thousands of new iPhone 3Gs that are being activated around the world today. As such, Apple is currently experiencing serious issues with its iTunes servers, which have largely become unreachable.

This has left a significant number of first-generation iPhone users with bricked iPhones that have no service outside of calling emergency help lines because iTunes is unreachable to authorize a reactivation. Apple's iTunes servers as of press time appeared to be completely offline for both new iPhone 3G buyers and first-generation iPhone owners attempting to reactive their phones with iPhone Software v2.0 installed.

Warning

Given this ongoing and unfortunate situation, first-generation iPhone users should not attempt to upgrade their iPhones with iPhone Software v2.0 at this time. AppleInsider will update this article or post a new article when it is believed to be safe to upgrade first-generation iPhones.

Update: It now seems that Apple's iTunes activation servers are slowly coming back on line. Users feeling brave may want to give their upgrades a shot, though waiting till tomorrow (when Apple's had a whole evening to knock out the kinks) would be the safest bet.

iPhone Software 2.0 for iPod touch

Separately, Apple has begun selling iPhone Software 2.0 upgrade for iPod touch for $9.95 via this iTunes Store link.. You can also find the same link to the software on this Apple iPod touch page.

The upgrade will deliver all of features of iPhone Software 2.0 to iPod touch owners, save for the reactivation nightmare. However, since Apple's iTunes upgrade servers are now completely off line, this update is currently inaccessible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    What a mess.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Fantastic. Now Apple royally screws up. Sounds like they're stealing pages from the at&t playbook.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    The lesson learned today is to just wait few days and let the dust settle. Is definately not worth to go through this hell right now.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Apple wanted to pull off a big global launch in a single day and it looks like they've failed.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Glad I updated my iPhone yesterday. Some of the apps are sweet, some suck, just like all platforms.

The iTunes remote app is insanely great for me. I run 4 airport expresses to spew music in various parts of the house. Now I've got control in my pocket always.

Sheldon
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Apple wanted to pull off a big global launch in a single day and it looks like they've failed.

Has nothing to do with a global launch since each country has their own iTunes servers to activate from.

The issue in the US likely has more to do with the 2.0 upgrade. Since they appear to be using the same activation servers as new iPhone 3G users.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Just excellent! Thanks for the warning (server problem) for first gen. updates. My whole business is in my iPhone and my daughter's whole life is in hers....I look like a hero to her!

Thanks piles AI!
  • Reply 8 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    iBrick 2.0
  • Reply 9 of 63
    My iphone is finally activated! It just takes some patience of plugging it in and out. Just keep to it and you'll eventually get through!
  • Reply 10 of 63

you think a company like apple would be prapered for this

• Reply 11 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My iPhone Mk 1 updated with 2.0 software this morning just successfully finished the process and reactivated! YESSSS! I have been trying since noon! So either it is a just luck I got connected or they fixed something.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    chriskeochriskeo Posts: 20member
    this royally sucks for ipod touch users who now cant do the update because apple has to use the same servers for the update and activation. Now we wait
  • Reply 13 of 63
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chriskeo View Post

this royally sucks for ipod touch users who now cant do the update because apple has to use the same servers for the update and activation. Now we wait

I have to wait 2 more months to get my first iTouch 2.0, 2nd generation, so I don't have to pay the addtl $10
  • Reply 14 of 63
    I always wait on anything new. Hardware or software-wise.

You have to let other people dive in mistakingly and find out the errors for you.

I even wait on simple updates to apps to see what people say, because lately updates have been screwing things up for people too.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Have an original iPhone, been trying to activate for 3 hours, but just now got it. Now would be a good time to try, fellas.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    chriskeochriskeo Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have to wait 2 more months to get my first iTouch 2.0, 2nd generation, so I don't have to pay the addtl $10

Do newly bought ipod touches have 2.0 on it or 1.1.4

i was going to but my dad a ipod touch but i was waiting for 2.0 to come out
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Ive been trying since 1100 to get my iphone working again and it looks like its finally online again. About an hour ago my phone finally was acitvated and i could call, but it was not able to be restored and my phone was in its factory state. It also was not recognized by itunes so I couldn't synce anything. Just now I got the restore screen and I am presently restoring my phone. Looks like we're seeing some progress!!

What a mess though!
  • Reply 18 of 63
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Wow, wouldn't it be fun to be next to Steve Jobs today to hear what was coming out of his mouth....?

I wonder if Apple rented passenger vans to pick up all the fired employees responsible for this fiasco from 1 Infinite Loop...
  • Reply 19 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Wow, wouldn't it be fun to be next to Steve Jobs today to hear what was coming out of his mouth....?

I wonder if Apple rented passenger vans to pick up all the fired employees responsible for this fiasco from 1 Infinite Loop...

He's liable to implode or spontaneously combust from the reflected radiation bouncing off the RDF.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Well, with their complete failure at rolling out MobileMe and this iPhone mess which is, for all intents and purposes, a repeat of what happened the first go around, it's probably a good thing Apple isn't trying to market itself as a provider of enterprise-class services. Best to stick to consumer products, where it doesn't matter when you occasionally fall on your face.