iPhone 3G on 2.2 OS - TurboSIM (general term) no longer works!

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have a sinking feeling about this. Getting "No Service". I have been spoiled on my iPhone 2G for over a year now, I have never had any network issues (Meteor Ireland). With iPhone 2G, even on 2.2 I never had any network issues. Darn, me sad now

I still have my iPhone 2G, but I was hoping to pass it on to someone. I'm feeling nervous about passing it on now, may have to keep it around as a 'backup' device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Thats the problem with turbo sim. Eventually the features lock off.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Thats the problem with turbo sim. Eventually the features lock off.

Lock off? What is that supposed to mean. Admit you have no clue what you're talking about.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Anyway, I have solved the issue. Well not fixed it, but at least I know what it is.

Apple has updated the baseband to 02.28.00 on 2.2, which I accidently updated to via iTunes. That's right, like I've been saying; I've been spoiled with my iPhone 2G. I could update with iTunes and keep using my iPhone just fine, it wasn't jailbroken - but remained unlocked, which is all I cared about.

Though not so lucky with the iPhone 3G, if (and I now I know) I had custom updated via PwnageTool, the baseband would have remained at 02.11.07, and from what I'm hearing, about 80% of those that did are still using their 3G iPhone unlocked via TurboSIM just fine.

I have learned my lesson. So what am I going to do? I just ordered a new TurboSIM which is said to work on 02.28.00, so we'll see. I have had good luck doing this before so fingers crossed. And after that I can wait for a 02.28.00 unlock, which is bound to come in the next 3 years!

In case you were wondering guys, I got that new TurboSIM - I'll report back with the results. You know I'm good for it. And luckily they have a PayPal link, so it's safe
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Just a note of caution for people considering unlocking their phones. They generally involve firmware updates, which can go wrong and 'brick' the device or more often simply lock up the use of unofficial sim cards meaning you have to try a downgrade or wait for a fix as was the case here.

What I've also found is that often people don't take into consideration data access charges on alternate carriers so be aware that another carrier may not turn out to be much cheaper than the official carrier.

If your carrier is clearly ripping you off and you are comfortable with custom firmware updates, then feel free to try the above option.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Just a note of caution for people considering unlocking their phones. They generally involve firmware updates, which can go wrong and 'brick' the device or more often simply lock up the use of unofficial sim cards meaning you have to try a downgrade or wait for a fix as was the case here.

What I've also found is that often people don't take into consideration data access charges on alternate carriers so be aware that another carrier may not turn out to be much cheaper than the official carrier.

If your carrier is clearly ripping you off and you are comfortable with custom firmware updates, then feel free to try the above option.

Thank you. Finally 6,000 posts pays off

If you guys were wondering. I used my iPhone 2G for about 14 months with a TurboSIM (TurboSIM is a general term, brand names vary), with no issues. The ONLY TurboSIM that works with baseband 02.28.00, and all basebands is the one named "V3". I am still awaiting delivery to be 100%, but I am feeling confident. I've had a bit of experience with these chip things. Wait for my final verdict on Friday.