Apple TV - should I buy now or wait for an update?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
As the title says, should I buy an Apple TV now... or hang on for an update? The hardware is pretty old now, and outrageously overpriced, but as I live in the UK it's the only streaming solution of any worth. Xbox Live in the UK only has a small selection of movies from a few studios, plus the system itself is so noisy I hate watching things on it.

Now I just buy blu-rays, but they're expensive, to say the least, and I object to cluttering up my house with more pointless plastic discs. I have enough clutter as it is with video game discs and old DVDs without adding to it.

Apple TV then, despite the comedy price tag seems to make some sense, but have there been any rumours of a spec update or at the very least a price cut? Looking at the components inside it, it really should be 1/4 of the price it's at now.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

As the title says, should I buy an Apple TV now... or hang on for an update? The hardware is pretty old now, and outrageously overpriced, but as I live in the UK it's the only streaming solution of any worth. Xbox Live in the UK only has a small selection of movies from a few studios, plus the system itself is so noisy I hate watching things on it.

Now I just buy blu-rays, but they're expensive, to say the least, and I object to cluttering up my house with more pointless plastic discs. I have enough clutter as it is with video game discs and old DVDs without adding to it.

Apple TV then, despite the comedy price tag seems to make some sense, but have there been any rumours of a spec update or at the very least a price cut? Looking at the components inside it, it really should be 1/4 of the price it's at now.

Thanks all.

The hardware is over two years old. As much as I want an Apple TV I know they have to be refreshing the hardware before it hits 3 years of age. So I'll patiently wait for the new model to hit.

My crazy speculation of the day. Apple could be waiting until they are closer to shippng Snow Leopard. The reason why I say this is because perhaps Snow Leopard's OS X core is going to form the basis for a new Apple TV.

I wouldn't expect drastic change in regards to software but rather more efficiency and of course further polishing of the user interface.

Although it would kill the hacking ability I'd love to see the Apple TV go to an ARM based setup. I don't think video playback is best handled by a GPU I think it's best handled by an asic designed to playback video.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I would wait as well. The major reason Netflix doesn't work on Boxee/AppleTV is because of the older hardware.