Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device

Comments

• Reply 41 of 174
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm not even sure of the sigh remarks are meant to be pejorative or not. I'd guess that they are since there was no emoticon to offset the cryptic and brief reply.

I enjoy getting keyboardists into a rage for no good reason. Sometimes I mean literally nothing, but people flip out. It's a fun game!
  • Reply 42 of 174
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple's cult-like work environment has the tendency of driving a certain flavor of employees away. I hope ATV is on track for a major revamp especially now that BlockBusters are going down!

People need to get this through their heads. It's not Apple. It's NeXT Engineering. The cultures were completely different.

NeXT was always seen as elitist in the OOA/OOD camps. I know for I experienced the sneers.

The entire approach to solving and building solutions was high productivity. You weren't going to be sitting around with your thumb up your rear nurturing a pet theory.

Go to Microsoft if you want that experience. Go to IBM for that as well.

Back in the days of ObjectWorld vendors got tired of the NeXT crowd with barely a booth presence getting large audiences for what the NeXT big thing will be.

When the merger happened there were two camps: One that saw us as the only way and another that thought if they only had a few more years they could come back.

There seems to be two kinds of work experiences in Silicon Valley: (1) The kind of work where ten or twelve hours goes by and you don't notice it, and (2) Five hours crawls by and you've spent half the day looking at stock values and the other half job hunting.

Apple is a job where you can really work on a wide variety of projects. If you aren't very social or capable of networking between groups you won't be working on much.
  • Reply 43 of 174
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And that monitor would not by chance be called iMac?

(More seriously, I would like to plug my iPhone into any Mac and continue working where I left of when I left my Mac at home.)

There are some things that are synced, like notes and email so that you don't have to stop working when you move from one device to the other. Surely it can be more fluid, robust and versatile, I know that it will, but what exactly are you looking for?

It sounds like you want to have files that are on your Mac, that you sync to your iPhone and then sync to a Mac to run from an iPhone. Perhaps a data drive for iPhone OS X, but would it be a partition of FAT32, like most USB flash drives, so it could talk to Windows, too? I see this as a problem and think that cloud syncing with MobileMe currently makes for a better all around solution since there is no plugging involved.

I think iWork.com will be the first major push from Apple with that capability with cloud computing the easiest way to implement that. I have been enjoying for nearly a year now how all my vital stuff is auto-synced from iPhone to Mac via MobileMe.
  • Reply 44 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

That would make it 6x8" (a shade over the area of a Kindle 2).

By my rough calculations, a 16:10, 10.1" screen with a bezel would be close to 9.25" x 6.75". Roughly speaking of course.
  • Reply 45 of 174
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hey Ireland, Wizard!

The tablet doubters will be cast aside with a flick of Steve Jobs' wrist soon!

We will rule this forum when that day comes! Muhoohahahaaaa! :P

Joking aside, I'm hoping beyond hope that Steve goes the extra mile and incorporates flexible screen technology. There is still a chance!

The ultimate mobile will upon us all in less than a couple months!

We both want Apple tablets but I think we have dramatically different ideas as to what that tablet is. At least size and operating system wise. Pointedly I want something that leverages the iPod Touch family. Ireland seems to want a Flat Mac.

One of the driving factors for me is app store along with the potential for very long run times due to being ARM based. My iPhone has pretty much convinced me that a small (as in slightly larger) would sell well. Maybe not in the volumes of an iPhone but niether would a Mac Tablet. It would likely move in numbers that slightly trail iPod Touch.

Dave
  • Reply 46 of 174
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Tablet fight!
  • Reply 47 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Tablet fight!

• Reply 48 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

And that monitor would not by chance be called iMac?

(More seriously, I would like to plug my iPhone into any Mac and continue working where I left of when I left my Mac at home.)

Nope. The super iPhone of the future is the computer. A big screen and a keyboard makes it a desktop.

I'm just goofing on the idea of making long term predictions, but it actually doesn't seem so far fetched that a few iterations from now an iPhone will have the processing power of our current MacBooks, so I'm not being entirely facetious.

Bluetooth peripherals, WiFi mass storage and net connection...... all you need is power and you can start working as soon as your handset comes in range of your desk.
  • Reply 49 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

^_^ ɐɥɐɥ

How do you do that upside down text trick?
  • Reply 50 of 174
    Quote:

ʎsɐǝ
  • Reply 51 of 174
    Quote:

Here is more info than you ever wanted to know on the subject...
  • Reply 52 of 174
    You kids today, I swear.
  • Reply 53 of 174
    So I think apple is working on its own version of verizons hub thing. with the recent things about video chat with answering machines I think their hub is going to run snow leopard and be a full featured tablet type machine that when your iphone is docked in handles all your calls handles video chat with its intergrated webcam. the visual phone really is coming!
  • Reply 54 of 174
    Yeah, like nobody in the media had the brains to figure he could still work and advise from his home. Oh! If he doesn't show up at work, all communications with him will cease. He's probably got like several computers with 30" monitors running iChat simultaneously. In theory, he could probably do more at home than he can coming into the office if he's got good video-conferencing with the heads of all departments. Except maybe he can't smack the heads of slacking project leaders.

I just can't believe the media can be so dense at times. I hope competitors have been slacking off, thinking that they can take it easy while Steve Jobs is on medical leave. They probably thought he was dying, anyway, so why even worry about future Apple products that don't have Steve's touch. I hope Steve runs on stage fifteen pounds heavier with that "one more thing."
  • Reply 55 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

sigh matters.

OK... this is getting a bit too Zen for me.....
  • Reply 56 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post

Wrong, asstard. I sent them the link to the wsj artlcle along with the article itself. I could give two shits about credit. What i do care about is that the author re-wrote the wsj article almost to imply that the blogger was researching the subject -- to which i call bullshit.

Only a flaming liberal reads NYT. Suggest you pull your head out of your liberal ass before claiming to know what you're talking about when it comes to sources.

Oooh, nasty.... I recommend Preparation H.
  • Reply 57 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Yeah, like nobody in the media had the brains to figure he could still work and advise from his home. Oh! If he doesn't show up at work, all communications with him will cease. He's probably got like several computers with 30" monitors running iChat simultaneously. In theory, he could probably do more at home than he can coming into the office if he's got good video-conferencing with the heads of all departments. Except maybe he can't smack the heads of slacking project leaders.

I just can't believe the media can be so dense at times. I hope competitors have been slacking off, thinking that they can take it easy while Steve Jobs is on medical leave. They probably thought he was dying, anyway, so why even worry about future Apple products that don't have Steve's touch. I hope Steve runs on stage fifteen pounds heavier with that "one more thing."

I agree. The whole story is utter inanity. And WSJ lost it for me when it quoted Shaw Wu in the last para.

I think this could be earnings-season-shenanigans rearing their ugly heads again by doing some pumping: keep Apple on a stock price tear, sell short, have the numbers come in only as expected, soon after that throw in some rumor somewhere about some lousy test result having come in from the doctors, and ........ voila, some rather nice profits!
  • Reply 58 of 174
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Oh, I've already braced myself for the Dr. Evil level pinky to mouth snickering from the tablet gang, should it come to pass.

What you don't know is that I've already predicted that Apple will release an iPhone that docks with a monitor and keyboard and which can edit 4k video on Final Cut Pro Super Extreme.

And I'm willing to wait it out.

Indeed. It will be interesting to see if the mystery mobile is dockable to any of the other macs.

Where are the apple tablet/ultramobile doubters now? Haha!

They have scattered to the winds like a bunch of tumbleweeds or like little critters scurrying under the cracks of the house.
  • Reply 59 of 174
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

We both want Apple tablets but I think we have dramatically different ideas as to what that tablet is. At least size and operating system wise. Pointedly I want something that leverages the iPod Touch family. Ireland seems to want a Flat Mac.

One of the driving factors for me is app store along with the potential for very long run times due to being ARM based. My iPhone has pretty much convinced me that a small (as in slightly larger) would sell well. Maybe not in the volumes of an iPhone but niether would a Mac Tablet. It would likely move in numbers that slightly trail iPod Touch.

Dave

Yes, there are 2 camps to the tablet debate. Should it be a large ipod touch or a small mac. I myself am in a altogether different.....higher plane of reality and vision. :P

I'm hoping that the device is far and away a total redefinition of what a mobile computer should be. But it will depend on if Steve Jobs is willing to use the bleeding edge of component tech that is available right now from the various tech companies.

Yes......I'm talking about flexible display technology. No, I don't want to hear silly arguments about costs being too expensive when really they are not. And no, I don't want to hear closed minded, shortsighted, primitive babble about not being able to understand the need for them.

*crosses fingers* Come on Steve! Show me your the forward minded thinker you claim to be!

EDIT: Wow........feeling kind of woozy. I knew I added too much lime juice to the guacamole! Got to lay down.
  • Reply 60 of 174
    Thank you Steve. SteveJobsGift is more than music, Apple II +, or creative leadership. Thank you so much. and keep it going...........