or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 Rumors

G5 Rumors - Page 11

post #401 of 484
Chemistry Nerd,

It could also mean trying to move inventory in December during an industry slow down, too.

Other than increasing megahurtsogood and an iMac revision, I am hoping for more in the appliance line myself. MPEG4 and a handheld QT player need to get in the mix soon.
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
The Mother of all flip-flops!!
Support our troops by educating yourself and being a responsible voter. Democracy and Capitalism REQUIRE Intelligence and Wisdom if they are to be worth a damn beyond...
post #402 of 484
I think you're right-on for the most part, ChemNerd. However, I think that the "free memory" promotion for the PowerBooks is really more of a clever way of marketing the increased memory on the new models -- it's been like that since their introduction.

Gimme my new iMacs and towers! (Well, I really only want a tower, but I wouldn't turn an iMac down if you wanted to give it to me. )

Alex
post #403 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by MacGregor:
<strong>Chemistry Nerd,

It could also mean trying to move inventory in December during an industry slow down, too.

Other than increasing megahurtsogood and an iMac revision, I am hoping for more in the appliance line myself. MPEG4 and a handheld QT player need to get in the mix soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That certainly is possible (and I never ignore the possiblility that I'm completely full of it... ).

I would tend to agree if this were going on in September. However, the correlation is too good for me to discount it. *Every* time they have introduced a major revision to a product line, it is *always* preceded by a month of specials on the current model. Given that MWSF is a traditional venue for new product intros, it seems a reasonable conclusion at this point.

As a corollary, I would not expect a major change to the iBook for the same reason. Maybe a speed bump (perhaps this is where the "Sahara" chip is going), but no major architecture changes.

I am with you in being hopeful that there will be more appliances. Since they're new, I don't have any tea leaves to read about them, but the iPod is obviously meant to be more that a deluxe MP3 player. It would be reasonable to follow it up with more "digital hub" devices in January.

We'll see in a few weeks, anyway.
I want to know God's thoughts - the rest are details. -- Einstein
I want to know God's thoughts - the rest are details. -- Einstein
post #404 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by Chemistry Nerd:
<strong>As a corollary, I would not expect a major change to the iBook for the same reason. Maybe a speed bump (perhaps this is where the "Sahara" chip is going), but no major architecture changes.</strong><hr></blockquote>Actually, the iBook has the best and most unusual deal of them all - $100 off, no strings attached.

Apple almost never does this - they usually have a mail-in rebate or "buy a &lt;blank&gt; and get &lt;blank&gt; for $100 off," or something like that.

So by your theory, the iBook should get the best update of them all!

Actually, I think it is strange that they have this iBook deal, with it already selling so well, and it having just been updated. Hmmm...
post #405 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by BRussell:
<strong>Actually, the iBook has the best and most unusual deal of them all - $100 off, no strings attached.

Apple almost never does this - they usually have a mail-in rebate or "buy a &lt;blank&gt; and get &lt;blank&gt; for $100 off," or something like that.

So by your theory, the iBook should get the best update of them all!

Actually, I think it is strange that they have this iBook deal, with it already selling so well, and it having just been updated. Hmmm...</strong><hr></blockquote>

the iBook deal is a mailin rebate.

portables are definitely not being updated. the channel is just finall getting full. it would be an inventory nightmare. I'm surprised they have introduced price cuts on the current desktops yet to clear out the channel
post #406 of 484
Does anyone here have an Ingram Micro contact?
I'm making plastics right now!
post #407 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:
<strong>Does anyone here have an Ingram Micro contact?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, why?
Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip
post #408 of 484
How is the channel on Powermacs? Usually by now the low end machine is becoming scarce.
post #409 of 484
<strong>How is the channel on Powermacs? Usually by now the low end machine is becoming scarce.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I will ask them tonight. Maybe they can even tell me if they've been EOL'd. Though I doubt it. I guess they can look in the IM system and see but I'm not sure about that one. I'll let you know.
post #410 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by applenut:
<strong>the iBook deal is a mailin rebate.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only if you buy from a reseller; if you buy from the Apple Store (online, I don't know about physical), it's an instant rebate.

Now that you mention it, it is awfully unusual. Ends Dec. 31st. We'll see...

Alex
post #411 of 484
I've been doing some research on 'Gigawire'. From the descriptions of the trademark I've seen, it leads me to believe that it's the name for Apple's new bus technology. we've seen the specs floating around... 400MHz (is this 2X or 4X or just 1X?); will it be point-to-point; will it be 16, 32, 64 bit? How much bandwidth? We all know Apple needs some serious work in that area. I wonder if the new iMacs will share this new technology with the Powermacs. It could mean that Apple will be targeting the imac to a new market. They may have something up their sleeve.... notice how defensive Jobs became when word of the MS settlement broke.
post #412 of 484
About Ingram Micro:

S/He said they get shipments from Apple sometimes weekly. They're not having any problem filling their orders from the resellers and they aren't having any problems getting the machines from Apple. So as far as s/he can tell there isn't a supply shortage. They also aren't EOL'd apparently.

They don't have exact numbers of course and they assured me that all of this could change when they place their next order.

So that was probably of no help whatsoever
post #413 of 484
Well i just got back from my local "Apple Store" down here in Australia. The owner, let me know that Apple Australia has been on his back for weeks to clear any and all G4 stock before January. He said they don't want anything left in the channel. I thought that was interesting. Would Apple Australia know what was coming or is it just common sense ?
--
move forward.
--
--
move forward.
--
post #414 of 484
<strong>

Yes they topped out at 466 while the Pismo was 400MHz, and the iBook was hundreds cheaper. People thought that Apple would never do anything like that but they did. My point being that the fact that iMacs are coming in Jan. doesn't necessarily mean we will see updated Powermacs. Apple could very well do exactly what they did with the Powerbook G4, do not increase processor speed, just go from a G3 to a G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but Pismo also had a 100mhz BUS and a 14.1 inch TFT, removable bays, etc.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #415 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:
<strong>

Yes, but Pismo also had a 100mhz BUS and a 14.1 inch TFT, removable bays, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly my point. Powermac has a 133MHz bus, iMac has a 100MHz bus. Apple could increase the iMac processor speed and not necessarily increase the Powermac speed until later.

Thanks for the Ingram Micro info. Not a good sign if you ask me, its getting close to three weeks away...
post #416 of 484
Regarding Ingram.....that reminds me a thing that my reseller friends told me a while ago....

Back to the BW G3 to G4 time.

The distributors didn't know G4 was coming and there was NO signs at all.

After the sudden G4 announcement in Seybold 1999....there were bunch of B/W G3s left in the warehouse and the distributors couldn't even return them to Apple. They ate the loss by cutting the price in order to get rid of them. Remember that we saw some BW towers in Costco???

The same could happen again.....
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #417 of 484
Yea, especially if Apple wants to stun the world. Why give hints?
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #418 of 484
I wonder what Dell knows. I'm sur all major corporations have some people who try to find out what the others are up to. It wouldn't break any NDAs to release other companies' trade secrets, would it?
post #419 of 484
I doubt that will happen again. Does anyone remember the Dual 450 500 fiasco? Apple could not give away the towers they had built up in the warehouses and ended up with around 11 weeks of inventory. That hurt their share price in a big way. Apple's channel and inventory management is what helps them, they are a niche product and cannot afford especially in these times to have a lot of old product out there when something is introduced. They have been doing a VERY good job with this lately. Before the iBook announcement there were none to be found, in July the Powermacs were scarce and had 12 day ship times at the Apple Store. It makes no sense from a managament perspective to allow inventory to remain in the channel just for the element of surprise. Apple's board nor Fred Anderson would allow that....that's my guess.
post #420 of 484
[quote]
After the sudden G4 announcement in Seybold 1999....there were bunch of B/W G3s left in the warehouse and the distributors couldn't even return them to Apple. They ate the loss by cutting the price in order to get rid of them. Remember that we saw some BW towers in Costco???

The same could happen again.....
<hr></blockquote>
-That would be a bad thing however, because it pisses off the distributors that have to eat the costs, and it's not good business practice to piss off your distributors...

_aarons
post #421 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:
<strong>About Ingram Micro:

S/He said they get shipments from Apple sometimes weekly. They're not having any problem filling their orders from the resellers and they aren't having any problems getting the machines from Apple. So as far as s/he can tell there isn't a supply shortage. They also aren't EOL'd apparently.

They don't have exact numbers of course and they assured me that all of this could change when they place their next order.

So that was probably of no help whatsoever </strong><hr></blockquote>

Ingram in Belgium has 90 units on order of the low end model, they should have been delivered november 29th, they think no new delivery will be made until jan. 2002 .
post #422 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by iCom:
<strong>

Ingram in Belgium has 90 units on order of the low end model, they should have been delivered november 29th, they think no new delivery will be made until jan. 2002 .</strong><hr></blockquote>

Interesting.....though all it really says it something will be updated.....I suppose that is nothing new.
post #423 of 484
Bump.

Interesting stuff......
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #424 of 484
Yes, we are getting new powermacs in less than one month.

Somehow, I'm not surprised...
post #425 of 484
Which leaves us right back where we started: Whats going to be in them?
"What makes a man turn... neutral?" -Futurama
"What makes a man turn... neutral?" -Futurama
post #426 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by Falcon:
<strong>Which leaves us right back where we started: Whats going to be in them?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A G5 in powermacs. White case, two full front drive bays.

A (n apollo) G4 in iMacs (or whatevr the successor is called). iBook like configuration, different modles with different optical drives.

A (n apollo) G4 in powerbooks, all on 133 MHz bus.

Sahara G3 in iBooks.

That is not only what I at least want and expect, that's what's really needed.

I can get an Athlon XP 1600 machine here in Belgium for 24.000 BEF. That's less than half the price of the low 500 MHz CD-ROM iMac. That has to hurt Apple, both in the consumer and pro space. Reghardless of how much I like Apple's OS. This is not going to make me swith to winamd/tel, but it is letting me hang on to my old Apple hardware just that wee bit longer.
post #427 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by Mac The Fork:
<strong>My sources report that it is more likely that the G5 will be delayed until Apple is done creating their Raycer graphics processor.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's the "Raycer graphics processor" supposed to have that other companies have not yet provided?

--Alexis

P.S. Why would I have to re-register?
post #428 of 484
Well, that tears it. No G5's.

Steve Jobs is giving the keynote a day earlier that projected and Apple needed the extra day to be able to ensure an adequate supply of G5's for sale.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #429 of 484
Maybe they have so much G5's they will have more than enough. Perhaps Steve got so excited because their shipment of 1.6GHz G5's came early and they'll have more than enough to offer for sale that he moved up the keynote one day early! Think positive!
post #430 of 484
Actually, I just think it's kind of comical that any one would speculate about potential product announcements by when or how long the keynote will be. Long live the rumor mill.
post #431 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by rickag:
<strong>Well, that tears it. No G5's.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I donna thinka so ...

Let's figure this: Uncle Steve, being a man who really-really likes to be admired from a safe distance ... would seriously think twice about pissing off his admirings fans (or those fan's journalist's) by screwing up their hotel plans.

Thus - he must have calculated something - that's the kind of mind he's got.

The math?

The weight of pissing off a small fraction of the admiring flock by way of their hotel plans - vs - the thunder loss of a day early security leak.

He must of thought simply this "tis nobler to freak out with full force the hundreds of thousands of fans who can't show up, than saving the hotel plans of the thousand or so who do, and risking a leak".

You do the "math": Uncle Steve's got something big: he wouldn't risk pissing on the warm glow of a thousand or so local admirers otherwise; my guess (and it's only a guess), is G5's.

Since Bake-offs take time: and 2.5 hours is about right for the monster chiller horror theatre of LCD iMacs and especially G5's mopping the floor with x86's. I think we're likely gonna see G5's, cause an Apple branded Ginger ain't gonna cut it.

And yes, it is about friken time.
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
In life, as in chess, the moves that hurt the most, are the ones you didn't see ...
post #432 of 484
Especially if the bake off is going to include Photoshop 7, Maya, Office v.X, InDesign, QXP, etc.
post #433 of 484
you just gotta love rumor sites

RightOnMac chimes in
<a href="http://rightonmac.com/articles/01/12/13-earlykeynote.html" target="_blank">http://rightonmac.com/articles/01/12/13-earlykeynote.html</a>

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: rickag ]</p>
post #434 of 484
he's moved the keynote (as has been posted in other threads) so that the booths can be set-up on the sunday, with no-one milling around.
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #435 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:
<strong>Especially if the bake off is going to include Photoshop 7, Maya, Office v.X, InDesign, QXP, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Again...there's no way to do the bake off using Maya.

This app is slow, no MP support and half version behind other platform.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #436 of 484
What if it's being updated?
post #437 of 484
no MP support on MAYA until the next major release.
four more beers, four more beers
post #438 of 484
OS X does the MP support
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #439 of 484
Lets try this again. Unless the program is specifically coded to take advantage of a second processor in OSX, the only thing a second processor will allow is the offloading of other tasks while the app is running, i.e.
app=processor1
OS overhead and other tasks=processor2
[quote]The next major release of Maya will feature support for AltiVec and multiprocessing machines, Andrew Pearce, director of Maya technologies, told MacCentral.<hr></blockquote>
<a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/13.maya.php" target="_blank">http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/13.maya.php</A>
for similar accounts with other OSX proggies see Connectix VPC5 read me.
post #440 of 484
YOURDAILYMAC's informant says he saw new imac and new tower that was vastly superior. <a href="http://www.phasedreality.com/yourdailymac/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.phasedreality.com/yourdailymac/index.html</a>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 Rumors