or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 Rumors

G5 Rumors - Page 12

post #441 of 484
All I can say is Maya wasn't ported to OS X for an Apollo and my source ISNT talking now. Before he was all for telling me the processor situation at Motorola.
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #442 of 484
By telling me about processor information before I mostly mean the G4+ (V'Ger) which he gave me correct details on fall of 2000. He has told me a little about G5, but now I can't contact him.
post #443 of 484
... and combined with everything else we've heard lately, it means that I'm convinced that the G5 will be announced at MWSF. :eek:
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
post #444 of 484
mmmmmmmm.....G5

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
I'm making plastics right now!
post #445 of 484
Miammm G5.....
(French translation)
post #446 of 484
ACK! ACK ACK ACK! ACK ACK!
(Martian translation)
I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not going anywhere.
post #447 of 484

MMMMMMMMM......G5......

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
post #448 of 484
Well I also wish yourdailymac is correct with their "source"......but the guy sent an EMAIL? What, from Apple? From home?

Sure, no way to track that......
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #449 of 484
HAHAHA, have you guys seen what yourdailymac says will be the new iMac??

<a href="http://www.phasedreality.com/yourdailymac/newimac.jpg" target="_blank">YourDailyMac</a>

But this is an old AppleLe rendition of the PowerBook last year-
<a href="http://www.applele.com/powerfulbook2_a.jpg" target="_blank">AppleLe PowerBook</a>

HAHAHAHAHA
All Your PCs Are Belong To Trash
post #450 of 484
In theory osx tries to divide the threads going to each processor not the actual application. so depending on how it is written, osx by it self would not make it nulit proc. but help out a bit. i think...
If you had game like me You would still have your girl.
If you had game like me You would still have your girl.
post #451 of 484
Maya is threaded. OSX can divy out threads to any processor it wants, but it favors keeping threads that share local data on the same processor (less register loading/unloading). Since Maya, like most applications, runs multiple threads on multiple sets of data, Maya can be spread onto two processors fairly effectively. If A|W decides to optimize Maya's MP performance on OSX, they can thread their application with two processors in mind, and increase MP performance this way.
post #452 of 484
Ok, look at the back hinges of the case in the <a href="http://www.phasedreality.com/yourdailymac/newimac.jpg" target="_blank">yourdailymac new imac picture</a>

You notice how the reflections are flat horizonal lines? Well, this pretty much never happens in real life, and I doubt that the guy who "took" the picture set up an entire lighting rig to get that effect. When an object reflects light in the real world, it never reflects just one light source. There are always many different objects and light to reflect. The curve of the hinges should be reflecting lightS, the table the thing is sitting on, the room around it, etc.

It's called environment reflection. If it isn't there, it's because the person took alot of time and money to set up the shot to specifically avoid it- or its a 3-d render. Even 3d-renders can fake an environment reflection, you can even do it in photoshop. But to not have one is pretty sad.
It 's too bad, too. The email that I assume came with the pictures sounded so promising.
e- can go back in time, can you?
e- can go back in time, can you?
post #453 of 484
Yeah, as Kid-red figured out, yourdailymac ripped off Isamu Sanada ( <a href="http://www.applele.com" target="_blank">www.applele.com</a> ). If you go over to his site, you'll see a ton of alternate Mac designs. All photoshopped of course.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Arty50 ]</p>
post #454 of 484
I'm not sure if he used Photoshop or not, but Applele's designs are some of the best I've seen. They follow Apple's design direction very well and look very sleek.
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
post #455 of 484
The case for and against the G5:

For:

---Steve has said the MHZ gap would be closed by "then end of this year". 7 days after the new year is close enough for me. Though, this could refer to a blazing Apollo chip.

---Several different rumor sites reporting the G5's are coming, they think. The Register source sounds very credible to me. If these things are a hoax then I will be surprised. The detail and timing are very good if so.

---Dorsal has backed up and said his superiors may be working with G5 prototypes after all.

---The pushing of the keynote coincided almost exactly with the rumored first production run on 12 December.

---My own personal research tells me that it is indeed possible to go from a final revision on a chip to it being used in quantity in a shipping product in 60 days. We heard the chip was very close to final in November.....it almost seemed that they had a little EXTRA time to iron out the bugs ["Apple could probably sign off now....but...."]

---There are some folks here on these boards who are not known for screwing with us telling everyone that they know G5's are coming in Q1.

---Even asthappleturns has all but jumped on the wagon. When they drop, you know something is up.

---No official denials from Apple or MOT (see below however)

Against:

1) ThinkSecret says "nope". Though, this should almost be in the other column considering the source's track record.

2) Apollo just got done. Will they really put it in the iMac and Tibook only? (Will they "skip" over Apollo if it is running at like 1.4GHZ?)

3) I admit the possibility of a 600-800 mhz speed increase in six months is unlikely. Not impossible, but when put that way, it diminishes the chances.

4) The statement for MOT about not wanting to get people's hopes up "beyond what is really possible". Though the rest of the article is open to interpretation....it could even strengthen the case FOR a G5.

5) They just changed the G4 case. Six months later they are going to totally revamp the towers? Again, though depending on interpretation and opinion, this could support the case FOR a G5...they could have had the case redesign done and ready, then had problems with MOT again.

That is about all I can think of. Overall though, I think there are just too many coincidences in support of a G5 coming out to ignore. One, two , or even three of the "for" column may not sway opinion, but all of them?

The only thing we can do as people that AREN'T "in the know" is draw conclusions from what we have seen. I think if one looks at the case "for" it is significantly stronger than the case "against". But, it is not irrefutable. We'll see. You know what I'm hoping for and what I think will happen.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
post #456 of 484
If they really do have the Apollo at 1.4 GHZ, it would mean NO G5 in SF.

That said, I find it hard to believe that MOTO would have gotten 500 MHZ out of the G4 this fast. 867 to 1.4 GHZ, in 6 months?

Hell, it took damn near 2 years to go from 500 to 867MHZ

post #457 of 484
Yes, but the G5 will come in at 1ghz, 1.2ghz, 1.4ghz and so on. The jump from a 867 to a say a dual 1.2 top of the line wouldn't be that big of a jump. We have no way of knowing what speeds the G5 will come in at if it does come at all.

Why go with the Apollo for just one more run when it's about topped out. This Jan show for G4s would be the definate last G4 in a tower. So if G4s show up in towers in Jan, then it's the end of the line and G5s will debut in June.

It comes down to are the G5s ready and/or does Apple want to squeeze one more rev out of the G4s.

Also, the Apollo could very well be for the iMac and PB, that's why Moto said the Apollo was ready an that's why the G4 has life left. If the Apollo can scale to 1.2 -1.4ghz, come out with 3 models of iMac all at 1ghz, then you have 6 months and speed bump up to 1.2ghz, then another 6 months to 1.4ghz. By then the G5 should be close to 2.0ghz and the iMac could get a 1.2- 1.4ghz G5.

So many theories, I hope for a G5.
post #458 of 484
KidRed writes:

[quote]It comes down to are the G5s ready and/or does Apple want to squeeze one more rev out of the G4s. <hr></blockquote>

I agree. I think that is what this keynote change is about. They had the iMac G4 done...and the back-up plan was a G4 PM @ 867, 1.0 single and 933 dual. That way they could put the 800's in the iMacs and no one would bitch. But now, they have the G5 done and can go to 1GHZ with the Apollo's in the iMac. I think that this week there are going to be about a quadrillion iMacs and G5's rolling off the lines*

*confimed: the above is what I think but is also rampant speculation.
post #459 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:
<strong>

hey had the iMac G4 done...and the back-up plan was a G4 PM @ 867, 1.0 single and 933 dual.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I will soooooo disappointed if we get G4s where the top of the line is a dual 1.0ghz. That would be like taking away a new bike from a kid on Christmas after he already opened it. Simply devestating. At least get to dual 1.2's but even then, I might be compelled to wait till June for the G5s hopeful appearence. Hell, maybe I'll get an iMac to hold me off some til June, lol. (not)
post #460 of 484
I don't know if any one has posted a link to Architosh , but they have a revised version of their previous article.

Maybe sanity is coming back to the rumors.

<a href="http://www.architosh.com/news/2001-12/2001c-1215-g4g5.phtml" target="_blank">http://www.architosh.com/news/2001-12/2001c-1215-g4g5.phtml</a>

Personally, I question the implementation of hypertransport in the next G4 revision, but it would defenitely be a great upgrade.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #461 of 484
Sounds reasonable; however you still can make a case for the G5 showing up in three weeks from what they say. Perhaps they've shipped out two classes of prototypes: one with the guts of a G5 Tower, one with the guts of a G4 iMac.

The fact that the supposed prototype G5s aren't supposed to be returned to Apple until february could simply be a result of the new machines not shipping until around that time.

[quote]Originally posted by rickag:
<strong>I don't know if any one has posted a link to Architosh , but they have a revised version of their previous article.

<a href="http://www.architosh.com/news/2001-12/2001c-1215-g4g5.phtml" target="_blank">http://www.architosh.com/news/2001-12/2001c-1215-g4g5.phtml</a>

Personally, I question the implementation of hypertransport in the next G4 revision, but it would defenitely be a great upgrade.</strong><hr></blockquote>
post #462 of 484
post #463 of 484
Well, the usually-reliable (?) <a href="http://www.appleturns.com" target="_blank">As the Apple Turns</a> just reported that there's no G5. Their lava lamp seems pretty emphatic on this issue. Plus, the Register's mole has been silent for over a month. And then Architosh, this morning.

Oh well. Good thing I wasn't getting my hopes up. (well, maybe just a little)

-mithral
The crowd goes wild! It thinks you're terrific.
The crowd goes wild! It thinks you're terrific.
post #464 of 484
Well, by that scenario, the bottom of the line G4 will best the current top of the line. That hasn't happened in recent memory.
post #465 of 484
Well, that puts a nail in it does it not! 933 mhx to what I wonder. With DDR ram this might not be that bad. Now only if Apple would drop the price on there displays all would be perfect in the world.
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
And yes, a PC can be had cheaper but I want a MAC!
post #466 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by Cobra:
<strong>
Hell, it took damn near 2 years to go from 500 to 867MHZ

</strong><hr></blockquote>

well That could easily be shaken off as a bug, on Motos part, I don't know how moto held up back in the beige ages, but I don't recall any year+ setbacks of products.
Perhaps after that fiasco, Jobs' sad to moto "get your act together, or I'm out"
and they said(for some reason unknown to man)"yes mr.jobs sir" and then they hauled ass to produce faster better harder stronger processors, triple checking them to make sure they wouldn't have another scaling problem.
also the g5 would be a totally different processor, which means different fab processes and all that, which means its a different scenario than that of the 500 mhz g4s
or at least partially different.

its possible.

at any rate I'm optimistic about the g5, though a REALLY fast g4 would be welcome as well.
however an apollo g4 sold as a g5 would be unacceptable.
orange you just glad?
orange you just glad?
post #467 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by KidRed:
<strong>Why go with the Apollo for just one more run when it's about topped out. This Jan show for G4s would be the definate last G4 in a tower. So if G4s show up in towers in Jan, then it's the end of the line and G5s will debut in June.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually the G4 could get at least 2 more revisions even assuming the chip can't be scaled anymore.

You could have 867MHz, 1GHz, 1.133GHz at MWSF (dual 1GHz being the top) then 1.133, 1.267 and 1.4GHz in the revision following.

I don't believe that is what will occur but it definitely can. There is also still room for the G4s to scale.

I concur it is really a matter of when the G5 will be ready for release as to when they are released. Personally I would expect MWNY.
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
"When I was a kid, my favourite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school, wed all go play in his cave, and every once and awhile, hed eat one of us. It wasnt until later that I discovered Uncle...
post #468 of 484
[quote]Originally posted by rickag:
<strong>I don't know if any one has posted a link to Architosh , but they have a revised version of their previous article.

Personally, I question the implementation of hypertransport in the next G4 revision, but it would defenitely be a great upgrade.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The one thing about that article is that they say the test boxes will be collected from Apple in Feb.

This means 2 things then-

1) This is BS because Apple is doing all testing inhouse as I read somewhere.

2) It's true, they did send out test machines. If so, doesn't then connect to the VueScan G5 compatabilty thing?

Still can't say one way or the other. The one optimist thing I can think of, Is that the Apollo is for the iMac and is being tested outside Apple and the G5 is in house and kept under wraps. That's why the confliciting G4/G5 reports. Hopefully
post #469 of 484
I've heard (from someone that would have no reason to lie to me) that a 'Major Software' developer hasn't gotten test/pre-productions boxes from Apple in quite some time... So that tends to confirm that Apple is only doing 'in house' testing or for whatever reason just that one 'Major Software' developer isn't being sent eval units and I would find that pretty strange.

Then again sitting in front of a computer every day looking for clues / hints / rumors about a yet unreleased products and knowing full well that anything short of a hidden video of Steve Jobs spilling all the beans early will be cut to ribbons by some group of people is pretty strange as well...

Dave
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
post #470 of 484
I put my eggs in the As The Apple Turns basket. They say no G5, Apollo G4's. They have been right on all year.
post #471 of 484
So then the Archintosh article is BS about the test machines being returned in Feb. Unless Apple is testing with non-developers which doesn't make much sence.
post #472 of 484
<strong>So then the Archintosh article is BS about the test machines being returned in Feb. Unless Apple is testing with non-developers which doesn't make much sence.</strong><hr></blockquote>

After reading your comment something just clicked and **could** explain why Apple isn't/hasn't been sending out test boxes to (many/most/all?) developers.

OS X! When developers wrote Apps for Mac OS 9 they could play pretty fast and loose with 'apples recommended way to write code' - Apple always wanted developers to use the toolbox calls for doing anything with hardware. Well with OS 9 and below apple couldn't really stop folks from doing pretty much whatever they wanted. Thus the need to send out any new boxes to make sure developers stuff wouldn't break.

Now with OS X I think (I'm not a developer so I'm only going by what I've read other write) many things have changed and Apple doesn't have to worry about folks writing code that does any sorta OS sneak-around.

Maybe some developers could chime in on this... Now if this is true (and just to CONFIRM I am only guessing) then Apple can keep their hardware inhouse alot longer and only release it to folks for other testing reasons... Graphic and or PCI card developers etc.

This sure would explain why some people (software developers) are saying that Apple hasn't sent them new boxes and yet other sources are saying they have seen new boxes...

Dave
post #473 of 484
That would fall in line with another thread where a post said a major developer hasn't received a test box in some time. Myave Adobe? Anyways, if a major developer isn't get test boxes, then why would anyone get test boxes? I think this is the reason we don't have many leads to go on. That being said, I think there's still a chance for the G5. How can anyone say no, when know one knows anything?
post #474 of 484
<strong>
[...]
[...]

You're saying that one source you read on the internet is better than another source you read on the internet?

Sir, I submit to you that it's all balderdash! Speculate if you must, but please remember the tagline: "This has not been confirmed independently" applies to both the internet and that other world we occasionally hear about.

Let me mix metaphors and non-sequiturs: My kingdom for a pillar of salt!
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #475 of 484
<strong>

This means 2 things then-

2) It's true, they did send out test machines. If so, doesn't then connect to the VueScan G5 compatabilty thing?

Not sending out test machines would be a very bad move. There are a number of people who need these machines, especially when there are such major changes as are supposed to come with the G5, a new processor, memory system, mother board, peripheral connections, these need to be tested with as wide a range of hardware and software as possible so that any errors or problems will show up, Apple simply don't have in-house the capacity to test this thoroughly. Apple really don't want to introduce nice new machines with a lot of ballyhoo, only to have to recall them late on because of some flaw in the design. The greater the differences in the new machines, the more people they will want to test it.
On top of this certain software developers will have been given machines so that they can produce optimised, stable, code for the new systems, if Steve is going to demo these machines, he wants code which is not going to crash and which fully shows off the capabilities of the machine, my guess might be a move away from Photoshop for this, especially if there isn't a OSX version ready for MWSF, and to something light Maya. Alias|Wavefront would, I think, be high on the list of people Apple would want to have test machines.

Michael
Sintoo, agora non podo falar.
Sintoo, agora non podo falar.
post #476 of 484
Onyxx posted this link @ Macrumors
<a href="http://www.postforum.com/forums/read.php?f=6&i=26730&t=26730" target="_blank">http://www.postforum.com/forums/read.php?f=6&i=26730&t=26730</a>

Me personally, I like one of the posters response that the new alliance will be IBM, Apple, AMD. NO G5, but Athlon. :eek:
post #477 of 484
I wish AMD would replace Moto. Could it be a good sign that Moto might be folding shop and on the market to be possibly bought out? Maybe Steve will get nervous and have AMD continue with it's chip production.

The PC whineies wouldn't be able to say the Athlon kicks the Macs ass cause we'd have G5athlons too!!

mmm, amd, mmm They (AMD) could realistically do our chips right?
post #478 of 484
Not if you're talking about using Athlons in the PowerMac. No way EVER this would happen. Let me just say it again: NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. But!, if you mean that AMD would take over manufacturing for the PowerPC 8500 and 7460, then yes, there is a chance this could happen and it could be very well likely.
post #479 of 484
I spoke to a geek last week who had installed OS X on 5 PC's. He could get it to run on only one of them without the GUI. He was just mucking about with Darwin.

He says that the Linux community is very excited about OS X.
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
Wll I have my G5 so I am off to get a life; apart from this post...
post #480 of 484
Equipments basic VoIP for termination call is Gateway GSM/UMTS
I can offer you SIMBANK and Gateway GSM/UMTS where you can work with SIM local and

Gateway whereever in the world. You can also have a look on http://voipsolutionreview.com/ more

info.

Regards
jimbos
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › G5 Rumors