or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Dell working on pocket-sized Internet gadget

Dell working on pocket-sized Internet gadget

post #1 of 98
Dell, which has long been searching for an answer to Apple's iPhone and iPod touch handhelds, is reportedly in the intermediate development stages of a new pocket-sized gadget that will let users access the Internet on the go.

The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday cited two people familiar with the matter as saying the device will run Google's open Android software and possibly employ ARM-based microchips similar to those currently found in Apple's multi-touch handhelds.

Dell reportedly began developing the gadget last year with the help of engineers that were once tasked with conceiving a direct rival to the iPod. That project was aborted, and the Journal noted that there's no certainty that the electronics maker's latest efforts to develop a mobile internet device (MID) won't be similarly "delayed or scrapped entirely."

Still, Dell is said to be exploring the idea of marketing its embryonic MID with the help of wireless carriers who would presumably supply the device with 3G or other connectivity. Those carriers would likely subsidize the cost of the gadget alongside lengthy service agreements.

People familiar with the project told the Journal that Dell would ideally begin selling its new MID, which is slightly larger than an iPod touch, later this year alongside a series of mobile handsets that will also run Android software.
post #2 of 98
Using Android is about the only possible success vector for Dell.

Possible...not likely...

Still, they have decent netbooks so it's not beyond the possibility that they can succeed in a portable computing device.
post #3 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Using Android is about the only possible success vector for Dell.

Possible...not likely...

Still, they have decent netbooks so it's not beyond the possibility that they can succeed in a portable computing device.

More lengthy contracts? No thanks.

If they can strike a deal for pay as you go or cheap 3G internet access then the little "MID" of theirs would sell. That's providing the device is decent enough.
post #4 of 98
It's like the race to the moon. Who will get there first- Apple or Dell?
post #5 of 98
Engadget has a blurry elevator picture of it.
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
"There's no bigot like a religious bigot and there's no religion more fanatical than that espoused by Macintosh zealots." ~Martin Veitch, IT Week [31-01-2003]
post #6 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Pocket-sized. So, Apple. 2 years ago.

It's a much better move for Dell to try the pocketable computer business than the music player business or the phone business. Hopefully they use the design teams that have been turning out their Studio products. You know, the ones who are at least trying.
post #7 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Pocket-sized. So, Apple. 2 years ago.

It's a much better move for Dell to try the pocketable computer business than the music player business or the phone business. Hopefully they use the design teams that have been turning out their Studio products. You know, the ones who are at least trying.

But what about 7 - 11" size- Netbook sized?
post #8 of 98
LOL.

That's right. Add another one to the pile, Mikey.
post #9 of 98
Quote:

Get first to where?
post #10 of 98
MID. That's really catchy. I hope it's brown. I love brown.

Wonder how much coal it burns.
post #11 of 98
Good luck with that.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #12 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatma61 View Post

MID. That's really catchy. I hope it's brown. I love brown.

Wonder how much coal it burns.

Get a white iPhone and give it a week.
post #13 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Get a white Phone and give it a week.

I haven't checked this, but do they have the 3GS in white?
post #14 of 98
What I'm saying is that Apples iPhone/iPod approach is hard to beat because it offers up choice to the purchaser. That is why if Apple comes out with a larger tablet / iPod, one of the best thing they could do is make the device with an expansion slot for the RF modem if the user wants it.

As to Dell hardware isn't the problem, state of the art software is. In that regards I don't think Android will cut the mustard.

Dave
post #15 of 98
Dell's business model needs to change to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Perhaps this is one step on the way to doing this.
post #16 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Dell's business model needs to change to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Perhaps this is one step on the way to doing this.

Dell's entire attitude/priorities about design, software, engineering . . . pretty much everything across the board, has to change. And it all starts with what is going through everyone's head at design/engineering roundtable discussions. So far, it seems to have been a lot of tumbleweed and wind whistling through empty spaces.

Dell is so far behind Apple even in terms of sheer ability to conceptualize "new" and "compelling" that it isn't even funny. Dell is a follower. And they're about to slide below Acer, to boot.
post #17 of 98
post #18 of 98
Quote:
Dell working on pocket-sized Internet gadget

Going to run Google's software too, and the CEO of Google is on Apple's board.

"Hey Eric, when are you going to release Android 2.0?"

"When do you want me to release it?"

Stupid Dell.
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
post #19 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Dell's entire attitude/priorities about design, software, engineering . . . pretty much everything across the board, has to change. And it all starts with what is going through everyone's head at design/engineering roundtable discussions. So far, it seems to have been a lot of tumbleweed and wind whistling through empty spaces.

Dell is so far behind Apple even in terms of sheer ability to conceptualize "new" and "compelling" that it isn't even funny. Dell is a follower. And they're about to slide below Acer, to boot.

If Dell is a follower then why do iMacs nowadays look like Dells?
post #20 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Going to run Google's software too, and the CEO of Google is on Apple's board.

"Hey Ed, when are you going to release Android 2.0?"

"When do you want me to release it?"

Stupid Dell.

isnt his name Eric?
post #21 of 98
Quote:

If Dell is a follower then why do iMacs nowadays look like Dells?

How do iMacs look like Dells?

And I'd imagine it would be the other way round.
post #22 of 98
Quote:

But what about 7 - 11" size- Netbook sized?

MARK my words here
it will fit in a lab coat pocket
so 8"x6"
It will be a tablet .all glass all touch
It will be just like a mini air < no dvd >
I will have 1 cpu chip and 2 gpu chips
It will run on full mac os
It will thought of as a large touch
It will make skype phone calls

MARK MY WORDS TECKDUDE
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #23 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactripper View Post

going to run google's software too, and the ceo of google is on apple's board.

"hey ed, when are you going to release android 2.0?"

"when do you want me to release it?"

:d

stupid dell.

dell is going all matte soon
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #24 of 98
Let see another device to add to your pocket, along with a phone and ipod/MP3, Camera and PSP or DS if you have not gone to an iphone of itouch.

So Dell solution is to make another device so you have to carry more with you. I am sorry am I missing something here or does Dell know something that the rest of us are missing.

Having an iPhone in the house is starting me to questions why a need a laptop around.... the iPhone is doing more and more of the things my laptop does for me and weighs less.
post #25 of 98
Keep on searching... Nothing wrong with Dell but just doesn't seem to fit in their game plan. But on the other hand, competition is good!
Mr. Scott
Mr. Scott
post #26 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

MARK my words here
it will fit in a lab coat pocket
so 8"x6"
It will be a tablet .all glass all touch
It will be just like a mini air < no dvd >
I will have 1 cpu chip and 2 gpu chips
It will run on full mac os
It will thought of as a large touch
It will make skype phone calls

MARK MY WORDS TECKDUDE

So iTab not iPad? or MaxiPad?
post #27 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

dell is going all matte soon

Got a link? \
post #28 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Let see another device to add to your pocket, along with a phone and ipod/MP3, Camera and PSP or DS if you have not gone to an iphone of itouch.

So Dell solution is to make another device so you have to carry more with you. I am sorry am I missing something here or does Dell know something that the rest of us are missing.

Having an iPhone in the house is starting me to questions why a need a laptop around.... the iPhone is doing more and more of the things my laptop does for me and weighs less.

This.

We're moving toward a place where everything is consolidated on one deivce, and that "one device" is getting better and better at all functions - phone, web, games, e-mail, online services, notifications, apps, games, music, etc.

To release a handheld that is supposed to be an "internet device" without phone functionality (when we already have an amazing "internet device" WITH phone functionality) is just silly.
post #29 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

How do iMacs look like Dells?

And I'd imagine it would be the other way round.

Dell has had the metallic and black look with a blackbordered screen for like 6 years. Even the cheap black plastic on the back of the iMac couldn't be more Dellish. Dell has had that black backed look like forever. And Dell had the glossy look first.
post #30 of 98
Quote:

Dell has had the metallic and black look with a blackbordered screen for like 6 years. Even the cheap black plastic on the back of the iMac couldn't be more Dellish. Dell has had that black backed look like forever.

Link to pics, please.

EDIT:

You mean this?

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/..._2-480x468.jpg
post #31 of 98
Quote:

Dell has had the metallic and black look with a blackbordered screen for like 6 years. Even the cheap black plastic on the back of the iMac couldn't be more Dellish. Dell has had that black backed look like forever. And Dell had the glossy look first.

are you talking about this

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I think that was just released

or are you talking about this one

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20071227...ete-with-imac/

That came out in 2007, not quite 6 yrs.

Or maybe your referring to their monitors that look like what the IMAC look like
post #32 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

are you talking about this

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

I think that was just released

or are you talking about this one

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20071227...ete-with-imac/

That cam out in 2007, not quite 6 yrs.

Or maybe your referring to their monitors that look like what the IMAC look like

I think he's totally confused.

In any case, I see no resemblance between any of Dell's "me too" answers to the iMac, beyond the fact that they all have the form factor typical to all-in-ones.
post #33 of 98
Quote:

teck - You say a lot of outrageous things around here, to be sure. I chalk most of up to light-hearted flaming. But to say Apple is taking their design cues from Dell is really just beyond the scope of sanity. Are you for real?
post #34 of 98
Quote:

so itab not ipad? Or maxipad?

AirTouch
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #35 of 98
Quote:

Oh God...

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

iPhone 4S 64GB, Black, soon to be sold in favor of a Nokia Lumia 920
Early 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, soon to be replaced with a Retina MacBook Pro, or an Asus U500

post #36 of 98
If the story is true this is somewhat of a blow to Intel.

While Intel hope to see Atom in smart phones eventually they'd really like to see Atom in MIDS now.

Also having a formerly staunch supporter defect to rival technology has got to sting a bit although I wonder how close Dell and Intel are these days.
post #37 of 98
it better be a lot cheaper than the iphone, which is pretty hard to do or a lot better

you can make a valid argument over buying a $600 Dell/HP laptop over a MacBook Pro. but the iphone is the same price or cheaper than most of the data/web cell phones. and since most of the cost is the monthly service Dell is in a real bind here especially with a $99 8GB 3G iphone being on sale
post #38 of 98
I don't see how the marketing executives of these companies think that they can make a better portable pocket-sized device than Apple. Look at the facts - they're starting years late, Android software still doesn't match OSX portable, apps/usability. In terms of engineering, It's true apple haven't always used the best components on the market, but the thing is the software always runs well on the components they use. Hardware assembled, and software written by Apple in unison has made it work.

Dell should stick to what they're good at (not much).
post #39 of 98
Make room on the heap of failed Dell projects, right next to the Dell Digital Jukebox.

Android may give Dell a better shot at Apple, but only a long shot. I think they are discovering that what Apple does isn't easy, it only looks easy.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #40 of 98
Is Dell going to consult with Rob Enderle on this one too?

'Cause his track record of success is unparalleled.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Dell working on pocket-sized Internet gadget