or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone Software 3.1 to enhance video editing and Voice Control

iPhone Software 3.1 to enhance video editing and Voice Control

post #1 of 68
Apple on Tuesday began testing the first maintenance update to its new iPhone 3.0 software, which patches a handful of bugs but also introduces new features tied to video, Voice Control, and the handsets vibration mode. [Updated with info on saving video email attachments and better battery life.]

More specifically, developers testing the release overnight report that iPhone Software 3.1 will allow you to "Save a Copy" of video recordings that have been trimmed, rather than being forced over-write the original copy of the video, as is the case in iPhone Software 3.0. The update will also allow you to save to your photo album videos that have been sent as email attachments.

Another noteworthy enhancement is the ability to issue commands to the iPhone's new Voice Control feature over Bluetooth headsets. Spoken commands when running iPhone Software 3.0 aren't picked up by Bluetooth headsets, and are instead channeled through an iPhone's built-in microphone even when a headset is connected.

Several developers are also reporting that the MMS button has resurfaced in the Messages application, possibly signaling plans by AT&T to begin supporting picture, sound, and video messages around the release of iPhone Software 3.1. Although developers testing yesterday's beta report being able to insert multimedia into messages, those files are still rejected by the U.S. carrier's network.

iPhone Software 3.1 also reportedly improves battery life on the iPhone 3G S, updates the "Carrier" profile for U.S. users to "AT&T 4.2," as opposed to "AT&T 4.0," and provides vibration feedback when home screen icons jiggle to symbolize they're ready to be moved or rearranged.

Other changes include modified iTunes Store icons that rearrange themselves back to default after opening and closing the app, and the previously-reported developer hooks that provide access an iPhone's video recording and editing functions, as well as a handful of new extensions for the OpenGL ES graphics library that developers can use to improve graphics performance in their apps.
post #2 of 68
I figured they would do this. Anyone think this will break the tethering hack everyone's using?
post #3 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday began testing the first maintenance update to its new iPhone 3.0 software, which patches a handful of bugs but also introduces new features tied to video editing, Voice Control, and the handsets vibration mode.

More specifically, developers testing the release overnight report that iPhone Software 3.1 will allow you to "Save a Copy" of video recordings that have been trimmed, rather than being forced over-write the original copy of the video, as is the case in iPhone Software 3.0.

Also, it would be super nice if the next update include the ability to edit out a portion of a video recording. Currently, I can trim to my favorite portion of the recording but I would like to delete another portion between what I just trimmed out.
post #4 of 68
I hope they resolve this annoying whining sound. The high pitched one you hear from the speaker. This is getting beyond frustrating especially as it is present in the voice memos and the video recordings
post #5 of 68
How about voice commands for "What time is it?", or "What is the temperature?".
post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

The time is right in front of you basically every second the screen is on. Only help asking if you were blind...
post #7 of 68
Quote:

"What is the temperature" would be pretty cool. I wonder if future phones will include a thermometer for a function like this. Of course, if Apple doesn't fix the overheating issue, it would tell you it's 105 in the middle of February ;P
post #8 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfragment View Post

Only help asking if you were blind...

Yeah, exactly. So why isn't it there?
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuc View Post

Also, it would be super nice if the next update include the ability to edit out a portion of a video recording. Currently, I can trim to my favorite portion of the recording but I would like to delete another portion between what I just trimmed out.

Good idea - rather than just a "Trim" button, having two buttons - Delete and Keep icons - to perform either action on the selected area...

post #10 of 68
Quote:

The time is right in front of you basically every second the screen is on.

The time is not displayed if your playing a game. It would be handy to be able to get the time without closing the game app first.
post #11 of 68
Speaking of updates,
this morning I just noticed that MobileMe replaced the purple iDisk icon with the blue-cloud icon that has been advertised with the new iDisk iPhone app.
Perhaps that signals the app is showing up today?

post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by themirage View Post

I figured they would do this. Anyone think this will break the tethering hack everyone's using?

I never hacked to use tethering but now that i updated to 3.1, tethering works over both USB and bluetooth.

So i suppose it dosent matter if the work around is functioning still.
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat_1 View Post

I hope they resolve this annoying whining sound. The high pitched one you hear from the speaker. This is getting beyond frustrating especially as it is present in the voice memos and the video recordings

As a workaround switch the phone into silent mode before entering the camera or voice app.
post #14 of 68
voice control doesn't work for me. I mus tawlk funnee or sommit

I am a brit for starters, and a west country one at that.

Apple let me know when it understands UK farmer dialect.
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

The time is not displayed if your playing a game. It would be handy to be able to get the time without closing the game app first.

But you would have to exit the game anyway to activate the voice control app.
post #16 of 68
Quote:

The time is right in front of you basically every second the screen is on. Only help asking if you were blind...

It is not in front of you if you have the iPhone in your pocket and using the headset.
post #17 of 68
Oh man! I really hope they do something about the awful battery life. I can't make it through a full day without recharging.... and this is only after very moderate use.

Anyone else having battery issues with the new 3Gs???
post #18 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

My iPhone seems to always confuse the number three with eight when I ask it to call a number. I thought I might have been pronouncing the number three wrong all this time until my wife told me she is having the exact same problem with her iPhone
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamrockTattoo View Post

Oh man! I really hope they do something about the awful battery life. I can't make it through a full day without recharging.... and this is only after very moderate use.

yeah mines crap
post #20 of 68
in the main article "symbolize their ready to" should be:

symbolize they're ready to

or

symbolize their readiness to

ta

(and symbolise in British English)
post #21 of 68
Quote:

Quote:

yeah mines crap

I thought it was supposed to be 25% better than the last model? How can this be?
post #22 of 68
I am waiting for for all these fixes before trading my 3G for 3GS. I was going to buy a 3GS last week when I read an article that complained about accidental deletion of videos or something like that.
Glad to hear, Apple is taking care of this so fast. Way to go!
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I thought it was supposed to be 25% better than the last model? How can this be?

OH GAWD HERE COMES TECKSTUD WITH HES COMMENTS ON THE IPHONE BEING NOT GOOD!

post #24 of 68
Quote:

Even if it is displayed it's a great idea. If I'm doing something where I can't get the phone out of my pocket I can still find out what time it is.
post #25 of 68
Quote:

I noticed this immediately, but only when I docked with the Griffin dock. It does the whiney response the first time it connects with the dock. But if you remove it and connect again, it doesn't.

Very odd.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #26 of 68
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I noticed this immediately, but only when I docked with the Griffin dock. It does the whiney response the first time it connects with the dock. But if you remove it and connect again, it doesn't.

Very odd.

Annoying whining sound? What is that about?
post #27 of 68
My 3GS gets me through 2 days with excessive use and 3 if I hardly use it.

I always let it die befoe charging and always let it fully charge before unplugging it.
post #28 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohjoey View Post

I never hacked to use tethering but now that i updated to 3.1, tethering works over both USB and bluetooth.

So i suppose it dosent matter if the work around is functioning still.

Neither have I. So you are confirming tethering is active in the new 3.1 update?
post #29 of 68
so does this make voice dialing handsfree, or do you still have to hold the home button when you use your BT headset?
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark80 View Post

My 3GS gets me through 2 days with excessive use and 3 if I hardly use it.

I always let it die befoe charging and always let it fully charge before unplugging it.

I also get good batt life and I take a lot of video. I've had my phone for six days and have charged it twice since the initial full charge.

---

If we can get a basic video editor that would be awesome: trimming, splicing and some other functions would be great. Voice-over... add audio file (1 track would be fine, 2 better).

Dreaming...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #31 of 68
My guess is no unless they put something in the phone to make the "call the last call" feature on most headsets stop doing that and start the voice command.
post #32 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Other changes include modified iTunes Store icons that rearrange themselves back to default after opening and closing the app ...

This sentence makes no sense at all. What exactly was meant here?
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #33 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by themirage View Post

My guess is no unless they put something in the phone to make the "call the last call" feature on most headsets stop doing that and start the voice command.

I would love to be able to start apps using voice command instead of navigating through 7 pages of apps or typing the name in spotlight. Laziness is the driving power behind all invention
post #34 of 68
edit ...
post #35 of 68
Ideally, the "What is the temperature?" voice command would read from the first location in the Weather app.
post #36 of 68
I'd like to see them fix the distortion on the speaker when playing notification sounds, regular music or anything sound related. I noticed this issue on all their floor models and the 3GS phones I have. I would also like to see the ability to snooze calendar events and instead of it popping up, place a simple badge instead.
post #37 of 68
Quote:

+2 new 3GS phones in our house.
post #38 of 68
Hopefully they'll fix the accuracy of Voice Dialing, it's been utterly inaccurate especially with foreign names ( I even tried reading the names the same way the iPhone pronounces them). I'd like to see a feature where I can "teach" the Voice Dialer the correct name, if it got it wrong, by pointing it to the correct one in my address book.
Also, while talking on the iPhone I'm still unable to view my list of voicemails or my recent calls.
bb
bb
post #39 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Quote:

My iPhone seems to always confuse the number three with eight when I ask it to call a number. I thought I might have been pronouncing the number three wrong all this time until my wife told me she is having the exact same problem with her iPhone

Yep, I've got the same problem. It's very inaccurate and utterly useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Hopefully they'll fix the accuracy of Voice Dialing, it's been utterly inaccurate especially with foreign names ( I even tried reading the names the same way the iPhone pronounces them). I'd like to see a feature where I can "teach" the Voice Dialer the correct name, if it got it wrong, by pointing it to the correct one in my address book.

What they need to do is change it to work the same way as almost every other phone out there - have the user record a voice tag for the contacts in their address book and then only attempt to match a voice control command to those tags. That way, matching would be far more accurate but I suspect Apple are falling back into their NIH mentality. I wonder if it's occurred to them to reinvent the wheel yet...
post #40 of 68
Does the voice control update in 3.1 fix the problem where it ignores you yelling "NO" or "cancel" if it's about to call the wrong person?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone Software 3.1 to enhance video editing and Voice Control