or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple revamps MobileMe iDisk features

Apple revamps MobileMe iDisk features - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Pic of CrunchPad at http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/..._crunchpad.jpg
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

MobileMe web applications have received another facelift, with new features including a revised iDisk module that enables easy file sharing using a system Apple first debuted with its iWork.com experiment at Macworld Expo.…

It just keeps getting better and better.

But then, you should be using Leopard 10.5 or the MobileMe Control Panel and the iPhone software 3.0 which not every one here has, as well as a MobileMe account, which eliminates quite a few here to really judge its value properly.

And there has been a number of changes and additions since February's announcement if you look hard enough. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3328
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

It just keeps getting better and better.

But then, you should be using Leopard 10.5 or the MobileMe Control Panel and the iPhone software 3.0 which not every one here has, as well as a MobileMe account, which eliminates quite a few here to really judge it value properly.

And there has been a number of changes and additions since February's announcement if you look hard enough. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3328

Nice! That list made me think of something that used to annoy me about .Mac. AddressBook sync would sync your notes so that if you ever had to rebuild your user account they were there, but you couldnt view them on the mac.com site. In fact, my entire address book was usually all whacked in some way or another until MM came along. Id think parsing vCards into a web readable format would be childs play.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It doesnt appear that Apple actually hosts the domain, but there are other issues with using iWeb to publish or web.me.com/<name> as a web address. Primarily, the lack the of server-side code. I dont require much, but PHP is one of the things I would need and you just cant do it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1107

This will likely sound kind of dumb, but I've been thinking of moving a domain I own to MobileMe for hosting for a while now and although I have only spent an hour or two overall looking for info on it, I haven't found anything at all. I'm sure it's out there, but Apple's help pages on this are sorely lacking in any kind of detailed information on what happens, what's possible etc.

There are a couple of thin how-to's on the mechanics of getting it done, but nothing at all on what you'd end up with at the end, how to manage both that website and your mobileme website, whether or not you even get to keep both, etc. etc.

There is also no roadmap at all for MobileMe, so there is no way to know if they will ever support php or if that is coming next week etc. The web hosting I have now is completely horrible ("doteasy.com" don't use it!), but as one of it's standard features they allow commercial sites and simply ramp up the bandwidth according to use, charging you for the excess if any. Apple on the other hand seems to directly discourage commercial use (when they could easily do the same), yet some of the "personal" sites on MobileMe consume ten times the bandwidth of most small to middlin commercial sites.

I think they just don't want to get into varying charges (as with most of their offerings) and disallow php simply so they can offer everything for one price. So it's a good deal if you are an egotistical bandwidth hog that wants half the planet to view your vacation videos, but a very bad deal for a small individual professional who just wants to put out their shingle on the web.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I think Apple is very close to justifying the $99 price tag for most users. Currently, MobileMe has a narrow audience, and I think a lot of people will choose to not renew their membership after a year unless Apple adds and refines its features - which, thankfully, they are still doing.

Finally being able to synch subscribed calendars, after waiting nearly a year, to our iPhones, is by itself worth the $125-140 a year that 2 accounts cost us (NOBODY pays $99, try ebay). We also use MM (aka .mac) as a secondary backup for our docs., prefs., calendars, etc. knowing that in the event of a backup drive crash we have the most important stuff stored on iDisk (however slow and clumsy it is).

MM is hardly perfect, but it's not so bad either. Especially for a non-terribly tech-minded soul such as myself. I've had it for several years as has my wife.
post #46 of 63
Quote:

Id rather change my phone number or my girlfriend before I change my email address, so I wont make a paid-for email service my primary account.

I hope she doesn't read AI
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfine View Post

MM is hardly perfect, but it's not so bad either. Especially for a non-terribly tech-minded soul such as myself. I've had it for several years as has my wife.

I think this is really the core point to make. It is an affordable and almost configuration-free solution for non-techies. Getting a hosted exchange account just for the "push"-part will cost the same or more, and give you none of the added value features (huge storage space, iDisk, free backup application, non-stop iWeb, image and video publishing, preferences and bookmarks, etc. syncing for multiple Macs). For all that, the price is certainly right, if one makes use of it.

Most things can be done using an array of free tools and services, but it requires a lot of configuration and know-how, and every OS update can break things. "Pro" users and corporations will end up with a dedicated own server (in-house or hosted) anyhow, as not even the more professional hosting services will give you all options for shared servers. Most hosting companies will not install custom PHP modules, set the server to your local time, configure specific MySQL parameters etc. Heck, most will even prevent file uploads and deny access to the database server using anything else than their own Web interface... A generic service like MobileMe can't offer these things, if even specialized ISPs do it for virtual and dedicated servers only.
post #48 of 63
It has taken me a while to get around to being a MM customer, and I think the service is excellent (one Mac at work, one at home and an iPhone), however the iDisk performance is dire. It seems better in the US, but in the UK it is near unsable. In Finder even uploading a bunch of files with a total size of 18MB, this has taken up to 40 mins (on a home cable connection).
Trying this in Cyberduck is slightly better, and uploading in the me.com iDisk area slightly better again - however this is a big reason I would not recommend the service for people. My friend was saying to me that he uses the background sync option for the iDisk, which helps hide the lag, but personally I don't like losing the disk space on my local HD.

If you are going to be dealing with large files on your iDisk - look elsewhere. Apple support has been helpful, but they tend to blame it on the fact the servers are in the US. Not good enough for a paid service!
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

It has taken me a while to get around to being a MM customer, and I think the service is excellent (one Mac at work, one at home and an iPhone), however the iDisk performance is dire. It seems better in the US, but in the UK it is near unsable. In Finder even uploading a bunch of files with a total size of 18MB, this has taken up to 40 mins (on a home cable connection).
Trying this in Cyberduck is slightly better, and uploading in the me.com iDisk area slightly better again - however this is a big reason I would not recommend the service for people. My friend was saying to me that he uses the background sync option for the iDisk, which helps hide the lag, but personally I don't like losing the disk space on my local HD.

If you are going to be dealing with large files on your iDisk - look elsewhere. Apple support has been helpful, but they tend to blame it on the fact the servers are in the US. Not good enough for a paid service!

What is you upload speed? http://www.speedtest.net/

Right now, my download is 9.8 MBs and my upload is 0.51 MBs. I just loaded an 18 MB video file to my iDisk and it took 4 and a half minutes vs downloading it in 15 seconds. Exactly what I would expect based on my current ISP's network speed.

My former ISP would have taken ten times longer if I were lucky.

I would suggest that it is not iDisk that is at fault, but your network service speed, router speed and/or whether you are browsing or have additional internet activity running concurrently. As well, each file you are attempting to upload at the same time has to be prepared and compressed before uploading; and each file is done separately, taking up more time.
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What is you upload speed?
I would suggest that it is not iDisk that is at fault, but your network service speed, router speed and/or whether you are browsing or have additional internet activity running concurrently. As well, each file you are attempting to upload at the same time has to be prepared and compressed before uploading; and each file is done separately, taking up more time.

Are you based in Europe? I have run speed tests before and the results are inline with the speeds expected on my cable connection... For example, I can mount an AFP share on a server elsewhere in the UK and can easily copy up files at those expected upstream speeds.

I have no idea why WebDAV/iDisk is so poor. I have also tried uploading files from my work connection (T1 fat pipe) and although slightly better, it is nowhere near what I was expecting from that type of connection. Apple really does need to look at having European mirrors for this service (if that is what is causing the problem).
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-es-Ten View Post

Are you based in Europe? I have run speed tests before and the results are inline with the speeds expected on my cable connection... For example, I can mount an AFP share on a server elsewhere in the UK and can easily copy up files at those expected upstream speeds.

I have no idea why WebDAV/iDisk is so poor. I have also tried uploading files from my work connection (T1 fat pipe) and although slightly better, it is nowhere near what I was expecting from that type of connection. Apple really does need to look at having European mirrors for this service (if that is what is causing the problem).

No. Canada. However, I travel worldwide. Just got back from China. Not problem there, as long as I have a good connection.

Again, what is your network speeds? http://www.speedtest.net/

Best you run the speedtest frequently, as they can vary significantly throughout the day and from service to service and from computer to computer, etc.
post #52 of 63
iDisk speed is crap for me too.
I live in The Netherlands where I have a 20Mbit down/3Mbit up connection through cable, and I get both speeds perfectly with servers that either can deliver or accept it.
Yet, uploading files to iDisk either is painfully slow or simply screws up.
It uploads very slowly for a while, then nothing for a while. Sometimes just stops without an error and not having uploaded everything.

I use MobileMe mainly for my mail/address book/ical/password and stuff, but no way I use it daily for iDisk. Way too unstable here.
post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

iDisk performance is extremely poor. My Internet connection is 16Mbit down/1Mbit up, and yet while browsing iDisk, a painful experience, Activity Monitor says there is only 5-6k a second coming down.

Is it the Webdav protocol? Are there not enough servers or bandwidth allocated to the service? I don't know, but features such as the above are wasted development effort if the basics (performance) aren't there.

It has always, and by always I mean the last 6 years I've had .Mac, been terrible. I developed a whole methodology for using iDisk based on its incredibly slow performance.
post #54 of 63
Quote:

My biggest gripes with MM is that Find My iPhone and Remote Wipe can be too easily turned off within the iPhones Mail settings.

Apple really needs to change this so the iPhone is paired to a MobileMe account and that once paired it can't be unpaired until release from that MobileMe account.

It would remain locked even if a new SIM card is put in.

You can only turn tracking on or off from your MobileMe account.

You can control sharing location information with another MobileMe account but only from your MobileMe Account.

If you sell your phone then you MUST unpair it MobileMe account before the new owner can pair it. You could ship it paired and then unpair it if it's lost during shipping or they don't pay but one you unpair it it's gone.

No one else can lock the phone to another MobileMe account until it's unpaired.

Bottom line is everything should be controlled from your MobileMe account once it's paired and not from the phone. That keeps anyone that gets your phone from turning the feature off. And please don't anyone come up with "That a Privacy Issue" which it's not.
post #55 of 63
Quote:

What exactly do you mean? You can set your .Mac/MM account sync on multiple machines and have them merge or replace the sync info between all accounts on different machines. Thyeve had that for years.

It syncs email, ical, and address book info. If you make changes to a document or buy new music, you have to transfer it manually. If you remember to do it, that is. You sometimes forget and end up with two different versions of a document you have thumb through a couple weeks later.
post #56 of 63
Hi,

I am new member. I am glad to meet you.

Thanks

blackberry 8320
blackberry 8310
blackberry 8300
blackberry 8820
blackberry 8800
post #57 of 63
is that old .Mac serial still valid?
post #58 of 63
and what da heck happened to that iPhone app for iDisk? I thought it was gonna be released when 3.0 was rolled out.
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

It syncs email, ical, and address book info. If you make changes to a document or buy new music, you have to transfer it manually. If you remember to do it, that is. You sometimes forget and end up with two different versions of a document you have thumb through a couple weeks later.

It syncs a whole lot more than that, but its not designed for backing up potentially Terabyts of data. That is what Time Machine is for. However, you can do it if you wish.

To do so you turn iDisk in MM System preferences on each machine, then you turn on iDisk Sync so you make a local iDisk you can access when the machine is not connected to the internet. Now you store all your media on this drive and point iTunes to pull the DB from this drive.

Its not an ideal setup and you may have problems with it, but in theory it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklee26 View Post

and what da heck happened to that iPhone app for iDisk? I thought it was gonna be released when 3.0 was rolled out.

That is still coming. Its on their iPhone page as coming shortly.
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

Bottom line is everything should be controlled from your MobileMe account once it's paired and not from the phone. That keeps anyone that gets your phone from turning the feature off. And please don't anyone come up with "That a Privacy Issue" which it's not.

This I would like but at the same time I dont agree with because if there was a way to somehow quickly setup MM, start the Find My iPhone feature and then remove MM then your device could be tracked by anyone without your knowledge. I think the best we can hope for is Apple to require a password to remove MM or to change the Find My IPhone setting.

However, right now the whole system is bunged with it not working if Push is off and the grab mail is set to Manual, even if you have the Find My iPhone feature on. It simply wont work even if you are still grabbing your Mail.
post #61 of 63
Quote:

I’ve been asking for this option for years (through Apple’s developer site, not in a whine fest on AI). I think being able to right click on a folder or file and be able to share it right where it resides would be very user friendly. While still being able to move the file/folder around the system freely, with a special icon appendage so you know it’s shared with just a glance. Also, perhaps an app or a Pref Pane that allows you to see and manage all your shared folders and files quickly.

It does seem funny that the iDisk service will let you password-protect files but not folders (aside from a general password for the Public folder). This would make such sense, particularly for small business folks who work with multiple clients... oh well, at least there's Dropbox, Drop.io, etc...
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prism View Post

iDisk speed is crap for me too.
I live in The Netherlands where I have a 20Mbit down/3Mbit up connection through cable, and I get both speeds perfectly with servers that either can deliver or accept it.
Yet, uploading files to iDisk either is painfully slow or simply screws up.
It uploads very slowly for a while, then nothing for a while. Sometimes just stops without an error and not having uploaded everything.

I use MobileMe mainly for my mail/address book/ical/password and stuff, but no way I use it daily for iDisk. Way too unstable here.

I live in Belgium and have the same performance issue using the iDisk.
Uploading does go faster if I access the iDisk via http://www.me.com .
Maybe try that?
post #63 of 63
Quote:

This I would like but at the same time I dont agree with because if there was a way to somehow quickly setup MM, start the Find My iPhone feature and then remove MM then your device could be tracked by anyone without your knowledge. I think the best we can hope for is Apple to require a password to remove MM or to change the Find My IPhone setting.

Not really. To do that they would have to first get your phone then start the pairing app and logged it into MM At the same time they would have to be logged into MM from a computer. They would then have to enter the same code into both in order to complete the pairing. Kinda like bluetooth pairing where you have to enter a code. So unless you leave your phone just laying around that's not likely to happen.

If you don't want to use the service you would bring up the pairing app and turn it off but you would have to completely erase the phone if you wanted to activate it later. That way you would know if someone did try to lock it to another MM account because when you went to use your phone you would fine all of your data missing.

This can be make very secure so someone couldn't hijack the feature without you knowing about it.

One last point, Apple should always work with the police to force the phone into a tracking mode. This is if the police would be willing to take the time to try and locate the phone which is doubtful.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple revamps MobileMe iDisk features