or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Intuit says new Quicken for Mac delayed to 2010

Intuit says new Quicken for Mac delayed to 2010

post #1 of 73
Looking to quash rumors that it will may never get around to releasing a once publicized overhaul to Quicken for the Mac, Intuit announced Thursday that the latest iteration of its financial management software will finally arrive in February of 2010.

The announcement came on the official Quicken blog from Scott Gulbransen, senior manager of public relations/communications with Intuit's Consumer Division. Gulbransen even acknowledged in his post that it was reasonable for consumers and pundits alike to wonder about the new Quicken for Mac, considering it was first announced in early 2008 for release that same year.

But after speaking to customers at Macworld 2009, and opening our public beta of Quicken Financial Life for Mac to thousands of you, he wrote, we learned the product was not doing what we nor customers wanted it to do. We listened, and we learned.

In 2008, Intuit said it would rebrand Quicken as "Quicken Financial Life for Mac. At the time, it was being re-written from the ground up as a Universal application that better utilizes modern-day Mac OS X technologies like CoreData and Cover Flow.

In Thursdays blog post, Gulbransen explained that Intuit has, in the interim, continued to tweak the new Quicken for Mac.

We went back to the drawing board and are making changes to everything from what the program does to how it looks, he wrote. We spent extra time building a reconcile mode for the new register, a robust Windows-to-Mac transfer function for new Mac users (and existing customers running Quicken on a Windows virtual machine), and redesigned the experience to make it look and feel like a native Mac application should.

Preorders for the new product will be available at quicken.com beginning on Oct. 12.

When it was first shown at the Macworld Expo in January of 2008, Quicken Financial Life for Mac was pitched as a major overhaul to the financial management software. Intuit said it aimed to reduce the clutter and confusion associated with existing versions of Quicken for Mac.
post #2 of 73
Looking pretty good from those screenshots. I'd say this is definitely a good thing, given how painful the current Quicken software is to use. And I'm glad to see a Mac-centric interest from a company like this, instead of the once typical 'port it and get on with it' approach.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
post #3 of 73
Intuit's support for the Mac has always been pitiful, especially considering Bill Campbell being on Apple's board of directors for so many years.

I'll believe it when I see it.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #4 of 73
The only reason I run VMware Fusion is for Quicken for Windows. I had years of Quicken data before I switched, and since the Mac version can't read the windows version, I have to run Fusion to read my old data and for the beneit of using the windows version. The Windows version is fine, too bad they didn't port it to OSX but just wrote a new fairly pitiful app for mac users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Intuit's support for the Mac has always been pitiful, especially considering Bill Campbell being on Apple's board of directors for so many years.

post #5 of 73
I'm not sure I'll ever go back to using Quicken even when they do release it. I don't understand this company at all.

I've seen all the demos and screenshots to date and other than the fact that all the registers are in coverflow view, I don't see what's so different about this software or what's taking so long for it to come out. I don't understand what's even so great about coverflow view in this context or what it adds to the interface. The rest of the "interface" is basically just the list on the sidebar, although knowing Quicken's penchant for multiple toolbars we can probably expect more of that as well.

Intuit's design ethic bears more than a passing resemblance to that of Toast which is notorious for being a very, very simple application made needlessly complex by adding a lot of transitions, "helpful additions," and glitz all for the sake of appearing to be more than it is.

I don't get it, and I'm considering it a fail until I see something that changes my mind.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #6 of 73
Same deal here - About the only reason I have Parallels and Windows XP is to run Quicken. The Mac version is pathetic. If Intuit releases a Mac version that has the feature set of Windows Quicken and works transparently with all banks that support the windows version including "direct connect" - I'm there. If they play the same games as before and banks have to jump through hoops to separately support the Mac version - forget it.
post #7 of 73
Quote:

Agreed!

I'm using a version that is five years old on my mac.

Intuit has always treated Mac customers as the poor-red-headed step child.
post #8 of 73
I really don't know if I want to wait for over a year for the next upgrade but what's good that can import my current database without a lot of tweaking?
post #9 of 73
Can't they change Quicken for the PC to be more portable so that it can run on the Mac? This is the only remaining Windows application that I'm still running. My current workaround is I run Parallels Windows VM so that I can run Quicken.
post #10 of 73
Why even bother if the online version will probably be better by then anyways. No need to wait to see if it's any good anyways!
post #11 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Agreed!

I'm using a version that is five years old on my mac.

Intuit has always treated Mac customers as the poor-red-headed step child.

I'm still using 2005 for my business accounts. It's pretty awful but I'm used to it. (How's that for the perfect description of a bad marriage!)

I can't imagine upgrading unless Inuit completely overhauled the application and the interface. By that I also mean, make it a lot better. Not just different, not just new, better. You hear me, Inuit?

Somehow I doubt it.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #12 of 73
I think 2010 may be rushing things. Intuit should just take the time to get everything perfect, and then around 2015 or so they can release a really good Mac app that matches all the functionality of Quicken/Windows New User 2005 Edition.

And set the price at a reasonable 1.5x of the Windows version. And still charge banks extra to support those complicated Mac customers. And then never update it again for a few decades.
post #13 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Looking pretty good from those screenshots. I'd say this is definitely a good thing, given how painful the current Quicken software is to use. And I'm glad to see a Mac-centric interest from a company like this, instead of the once typical 'port it and get on with it' approach.

Ha, Ha... you maid a funny!
post #14 of 73
Quicken is an old, dated, obsolete Window app.
post #15 of 73
the earliest transaction i have in my 'quicken for the mac' checking account register is 10/24/91. yeah, i've been using quicken on the mac that long. it has always seemed to me that they've treated the mac version as something they had to do rather than something they wanted to do, and that's been reflected in the quality. over the years i've only purchased updates when absolutely necessary. my needs are very utilitarian and that's probably a good thing, because not much significant has changed over the years. i'm gonna be hard pressed to pony up cash for the new version (if it ever arrives).

what are other folks using on the mac in lieu of quicken?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #16 of 73
I've been using the nasty Quicken for Mac for several years, but finally gave up on it (yesterday!) and switched to Moneydance. (I also tried iBank, but I didn't like it, principally because its fancy graphics seemed to take forever, and the program crashed a couple of times, which I take as a bad sign.)

I've never done anything particularly fancy with Quicken, and so Moneydance seems to fit my needs.

The conversion of my data file (which goes back 10 years) was easy. (Export to .qif in quicken, then import in Moneydance.) I lost my many scheduled transactions, but it didn't take long to re-enter them, and everything else is clearly correct.
post #17 of 73
Intuit has lost a customer that was a longtime faithful with this product. It is beyond pathetic that they can't get the right development team in place to make the application carry identical features of its Windows counterpart. I've moved to the online world of Mint.com and online banking services of Wells and BOA.

They can't even give me a free version of Quicken at this point I'm so disappointed with the product and disrespect for Mac customers.
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

The only reason I run VMware Fusion is for Quicken for Windows. I had years of Quicken data before I switched, and since the Mac version can't read the windows version, I have to run Fusion to read my old data and for the beneit of using the windows version. The Windows version is fine, too bad they didn't port it to OSX but just wrote a new fairly pitiful app for mac users.

Wow, great solution -- I have looked at iBank and others -- never considered using the Windows version in Parallels!

Can you tell me more about what features the Windows version offers that the Mac version does not?
post #19 of 73
still not QuickBooks for Mac outside USA. Only reason I need to have Windows in my business.
post #20 of 73
Intuit Mac support as a HOLE is a HOLE.

Sh*t or get off the pot.
post #21 of 73
I'd like to ride the train out of Intuit-town and would be pleased to know of any competitive software that can port all the data and give me 75% of the Quicken capabilities.

I don't need a perfect software, just a reason to turn off the lights!
post #22 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

I am in Canada and have special requirements in terms of federal and provincial taxes so I am even more limited in my choices. I started off with Moneyworks which seemed like a decent product but I couldn't find an accountant that was familiar with it. I then switched o vmware and Simply Accounting which is widely used here but is not a nice program (MS Win only). My BIG problem with the vmware route is that you loose all Address Book, Apple Mail, iCal integration. (I might as well run windows, period). I am now looking at myob (AccountEdge for Mac) as they have just brought out a Canadian version. I fear I will be back in the land of no Account support however.
I may just start to use dedicated sales and inventory software and let an accountant do the accounting. The whole thing has become the bain of my fucking life and takes up WAY too much time of my thinking!
post #23 of 73
Tag line for Intuit's Mac products: Half the features for twice the price.

And forget about bank support, because what bank would be willing to pay Intuit double their yearly fee's just to get an extra 5% or so customers.

Intuit seems to be doing everything they can to discourage people from using MacOS X.
post #24 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

...I am now looking at myob (AccountEdge for Mac) as they have just brought out a Canadian version...

I would be wary of AccountEdge. They used to be in Canada, but they sold out to Intuit (namely, they sold the distribution rights for AccountEdge in Canada). Intuit promptly decided to not distribute it in Canada.

Why would you think this time around would be any different. As in, AccountEdge in Canada takes some customers away from Quicken, and Intuit just kicks some more cash at AccountEdge to go away again.
post #25 of 73
http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

It's quite impressive and has come a long way over the last couple of years.
post #26 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In Thursdays blog post, Gulbransen explained that Intuit has, in the interim, continued to tweak the new Quicken for Mac.

We went back to the drawing board and are making changes to everything from what the program does to how it looks, he wrote. We spent extra time building a reconcile mode for the new register, a robust Windows-to-Mac transfer function for new Mac users (and existing customers running Quicken on a Windows virtual machine), and redesigned the experience to make it look and feel like a native Mac application should.

The second paragraph indicates we are looking at far more than a simple "tweak". Back to the drawing board would be the first contradiction.
~Tokolosh
~Tokolosh
post #27 of 73
So far as I am concerned, Intuit can drop dead and take Quicken for the Mac with them. They will never sell me any product under any circumstance. 10 years of being treated like s*it has that effect on me.
post #28 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

So far as I am concerned, Intuit can drop dead and take Quicken for the Mac with them. They will never sell me any product under any circumstance. 10 years of being treated like s*it has that effect on me.

+1 F*** Intuit
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #29 of 73
First requirement:

A native version. No ports, thank you.

We're past those days when ports were good enough. We have our own solutions that are coming along nicely, thank you very much.

If you don't design it from the ground up for Macs, we don't need it. There's always Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.

MS Office is a different story - there's still a working relationship with MS that on some level needs to be nurtured. For the record, though, MS Office for Mac lasted about a month on my old iMac back in '06 before I trashed it. And good riddance.
post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

It's quite impressive and has come a long way over the last couple of years.

I'm sorry, but that also is a big fat FAIL.

You cannot send payments with iBank, and this is one of the major reasons people still use Quicken. I don't understand why if they have everything else implemented they can't deal with this (actually I do - I wouldn't want to be responsible for that either!)

Any other options that include sending electronic payments?
post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Quicken Financial Life for Mac.

Right there... That means it's gonna be crippled and missing many features.
Just like Office for the Mac.
bb
bb
post #32 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

I'm sorry, but that also is a big fat FAIL.

You cannot send payments with iBank, and this is one of the major reasons people still use Quicken. I don't understand why if they have everything else implemented they can't deal with this (actually I do - I wouldn't want to be responsible for that either!)

Any other options that include sending electronic payments?

Totally forgot sending payments was a requirement.

I thought they already implemented that.
post #33 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I am on the Beta... believe me, the cover flow is a gimmick - I mean seriously, seeing your registers go by like album art? Why?

The reason they did this, is because all the beta-testers universally despised QFLfM and most people said they'd stick to either iBank (which is far better than the QFL beta) or run virtual machines and stay with Quicken for Windows.

I really hope they make is easier to migrate from Quicken Windows, and I for one will be glad to get rid of Parallels.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

post #34 of 73
Quote:

I'm still using 2005 for my business accounts. It's pretty awful but I'm used to it. (How's that for the perfect description of a bad marriage!)

I can't imagine upgrading unless Inuit completely overhauled the application and the interface. By that I also mean, make it a lot better. Not just different, not just new, better. You hear me, Inuit?

Somehow I doubt it.

You can do better,
Try M.Y.O.B. for small business needs or even like me use Filemaker pro which is owned by apple .

Good Luck to all you quicken users

whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #35 of 73
How can a company announce a product in 2008 and in the middle of 2009, saying it will come out in 2010. Hmm, just sounds like Microsoft.

I don't really use this crap anyway, so they can release it in 2099. The first time I used this software, it was awful and I never touched the damned thing again. There are better apps out there to do the same thing better. Get one and help Intuit "quicken" their own demise.
post #36 of 73
Looks like Quicken is taking the Adobe/M$ approach to releasing Mac software.
post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Can't speak for others, but as a LOONNG time Quicken user, I've recently started using MoneyWell, and have been VERY HAPPY. My needs are pretty basic (I'm not using it for investment tracking) and YMMV, but for me it's doing almost everything that Quicken should be doing and isn't.

The UI WORKS, the developer is responsive, and I hardly ever need to use VMWare these days. It's not perfect, it's missing a few features I like from Quicken, but for the most part it's a pleasure to use.

In any case, what boggles my mind: why has Bill Campbell been allowed to remain on the board all these years. One would think his presence would be an embarrassment to Apple.

http://nothirst.com/moneywell/
post #38 of 73
Who really gives a crap!? They are soooo last decade!!! Turbo Tax will keep them funded a few more years ... but even that gravy train will end.
post #39 of 73
Moneydance is probably the best Quicken alternative on the Mac. As far as I know, it is the only personal finance software on the Mac (besides Quicken) that supports both investment tracking and online bill pay through direct connect with your bank. Also, they don't ever sunset their software, so you can use it for as long as you have a computer that runs it. Nice.
post #40 of 73
I'm beginning to think Intuit is the new Microsoft. They push back products year after year and then release shitty products that work half ass.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Intuit says new Quicken for Mac delayed to 2010