or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › I want my post count back!

I want my post count back!

post #1 of 42
Dear moderators

It took me over 13 months to get my 2200+ post count.

I want to have it back. Thanks
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #2 of 42
It would be rather silly to have one member have a greater post count than the entire forum.
post #3 of 42
I agree. Please don't give back post counts. I had 2500 posts too but it would be so out of shape.
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
*Registered March 1, 1999*
Member #14
post #4 of 42
If me and MacAddict aren't complaining then you shouldn't be either
post #5 of 42
Yeah, don't give back post counts. AI has been reborn, no old post counts.
post #6 of 42
Just hold an Ego 2001 contest First user over 2000 posts wins!
post #7 of 42
I see there is one person who wants to be identified as LOSER
Anybody with elite in their sig sucks....oh wait..that means I do too! doh!
-------------
Post count is for losers!! And if you have it in your sig you are the biggest loser of all time!!
Anybody with elite in their sig sucks....oh wait..that means I do too! doh!
-------------
Post count is for losers!! And if you have it in your sig you are the biggest loser of all time!!
post #8 of 42
Word. I had so many posts before I can't even remember how many!
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
~Winner of the Official 2003 AppleInsider NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Pool~
post #9 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:
<strong>Word. I had so many posts before I can't even remember how many!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yah, Tiger - didn't you start the thread with the most replies ever?
post #10 of 42
I believe these post counts were promised to us. If Leonis wants his back, why shouldn't he get it?
post #11 of 42
News flash:

Post counts == worthless
art may imitate life, but life imitates tv.
post #12 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by bradbower:
<strong>News flash:

Post counts == worthless</strong><hr></blockquote>

I know....but it's a 'gift'
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #13 of 42
Yeah, guys. We're not going to give back post counts for the time being. Like others have said, it would be weird for one person to have more posts than the entire forum.

Also, it would be intimidating to new users who think you actually got 2000+ posts within a week.
post #14 of 42
Anyway....I can live with the new count. Reason I asked is because I really miss that number

Give me a few days and I am sure I will start to like my new, lower count
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #15 of 42
A gift would be people posting topics because they have worthwhile things to say or talk about, not just because they want to up their post count. Maybe tacking a few thousand on your numbers could help that though, right? Would several thousand posts make you feel more 'adequate'? Or is that not really your issue when it comes to adequacy, Leonis? Are you trying to make up for something that's not quite as vast as your post count used to be?
post #16 of 42
[quote]Also, it would be intimidating to new users who think you actually got 2000+ posts within a week. <hr></blockquote>

Why can't we do that again?
post #17 of 42
<strong>A gift would be people posting topics because they have worthwhile things to say or talk about, not just because they want to up their post count. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly what I should've realized earlier this year when I posted just to raise my post count.
post #18 of 42
this way makes it fun! First one to match Applenuts post count wins...Pride? :confused:

post #19 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>

Why can't we do that again?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh you can go ahead and try. If you do get it, I will give you....

something cool, because it won't happen.
:cool:

It's been a long day. :o G'nite
post #20 of 42
I'll give you a cookie if you can get to 300 by tomorrow, Franny.. Mmm.. cookies.
post #21 of 42
Bragging about post counts is stupid. I call for the mods to disable the post-counting feature entirely.
- Mojo the Monkey
- Mojo the Monkey
post #22 of 42
I'm not concerned about post counts, but I would like to see the old content (nearly two years' worth) saved somehow. An archive would be nice.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: M___ ]</p>
post #23 of 42
Don't worry, Leonis, at this rate you'll have 2200 again in a couple months!
post #24 of 42
Heh, and at my post count rate, it will take me until this time next year to get 220!

All the best
aj
post #25 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by M___:
<strong>I'm not concerned about post counts, but I would like to see the old content (nearly two years' worth) saved somehow. An archive would be nice.

Just a thought.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately the old forums were hosted on a Cube courtesy of the webhosting company Reprahduce, which went belly up, and along with it went the old forums and apparently all of the backups. The administrators said they did all that they could to get them but they obviously were not able to do so.
post #26 of 42
post counts are evil because they underscore evil american pirinciples of classical liberalism. they encourage our youth to turn into evil human beings who will eventually torture and kill countless other poor innocent people in the name of capitalism!
evil evil post counts
"."
"."
post #27 of 42
<strong>

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately the old forums were hosted on a Cube courtesy of the webhosting company Reprahduce, which went belly up, and along with it went the old forums and apparently all of the backups. The administrators said they did all that they could to get them but they obviously were not able to do so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd certainly be able to retire comfortably today if I had a nickel for every time I heard or personally experienced a horror story of some two-bit, small-potatoes, shady and/or clueless Internet design and/or hosting firm biting the big one and/or screwing over their clients.

However, I can almost always spot such clowns a mile away, and I simply can't believe that MacNN was not able to do the same.

What's very, very sad is that MacNN was un-savvy enough to put itself in such a position. Even if Monish (or whoever) believed that the Reprahduce clowns and their "courtesy" Cube were reliable, someone still should have insisted on daily or at least weekly backups or some kind of removable-media archives that you could physically TOUCH.

Redundancy.... reliability... backup...
WHY are these such foreign concepts? Hell, even Ryan Meader seems to manage his "multi-media empire" better than this!!

:eek: :confused:

But, hey, AI is finally back, so I can't really comnplain TOO much
eye
bee
BEE
eye
bee
BEE
post #28 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by flowerbob:
<strong>post counts are evil because they underscore evil american pirinciples of classical liberalism. they encourage our youth to turn into evil human beings who will eventually torture and kill countless other poor innocent people in the name of capitalism!
evil evil post counts
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahahha not only that post counts promote verbal masturbation posts for no reason. Like this one
The crucial memorandum will be snared in the out-basket by
the paper clip of the overlying memo and go to file.
The crucial memorandum will be snared in the out-basket by
the paper clip of the overlying memo and go to file.
post #29 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:
<strong>
Ahahha not only that post counts promote verbal masturbation posts for no reason. Like this one </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, they do!
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
Download BARTsmart BART Widget, the best BART schedule widget for Mac OS X's Dashboard.
post #30 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:
<strong>

Ahahha not only that post counts promote verbal masturbation posts for no reason. Like this one </strong><hr></blockquote>

yup
"."
"."
post #31 of 42
Remove post counts entirely, people are to obsessed with them
post #32 of 42
I happen to like post counts
"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Think Different
"Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do." - Think Different
post #33 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by FormerLurker:
<strong>

I'd certainly be able to retire comfortably today if I had a nickel for every time I heard or personally experienced a horror story of some two-bit, small-potatoes, shady and/or clueless Internet design and/or hosting firm biting the big one and/or screwing over their clients.

However, I can almost always spot such clowns a mile away, and I simply can't believe that MacNN was not able to do the same.

What's very, very sad is that MacNN was un-savvy enough to put itself in such a position. Even if Monish (or whoever) believed that the Reprahduce clowns and their "courtesy" Cube were reliable, someone still should have insisted on daily or at least weekly backups or some kind of removable-media archives that you could physically TOUCH.

Redundancy.... reliability... backup...
WHY are these such foreign concepts? Hell, even Ryan Meader seems to manage his "multi-media empire" better than this!!

:eek: :confused:

But, hey, AI is finally back, so I can't really comnplain TOO much </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, there were such backups made, but since Reprahduce took everything in their possession, it doesn't really help, does it?

And apparently, at the time we started out hosting with them, they weren't flaky at all. Must have picked up a ________ habit along the way, eh? ;-)

Long story short: no old threads, no old member files. All gone. It's a shame, but it looks like AI will get it's footing back sooner rather than later.
"If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the...
"If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the...
post #34 of 42
It was a cool feeling hitting 100, 200, 500, and 2000 posts. It'll be interesting to see if I'll see those numbers again.
post #35 of 42
Post counts suck, and furthermore, we should all remain Junior Members for ever. Now that would be neat
post #36 of 42
But if I try and remain a junior member for ever, then I couldn't post much any more.

Nope, sorry. I'm member bound.
post #37 of 42
i'm not saying anythign officially... but certain custom titles may be a better solution than re-vamping post counts.
post #38 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by The Installer:
<strong>Post counts suck, and furthermore, we should all remain Junior Members for ever. Now that would be neat </strong><hr></blockquote>
Yes It's strange to see junior member applying to leonis and others, (i won't give name

post #39 of 42
Custom titles?

Sweet!
post #40 of 42
[quote]Originally posted by Leonis:
<strong>Dear moderators

It took me over 13 months to get my 2200+ post count.

I want to have it back. Thanks </strong><hr></blockquote>
Leonis beloved cat complains with you. HIs count was not high, even lower than leonis beloved dog, but for an old cat, the status of junior member was so sweat.
Perhaps i should create a new count with the name of Mathusalem "junior member"

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: powerdoc ]</p>
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › I want my post count back!