or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MLB Contraction

MLB Contraction

post #1 of 27
So, is this just a ruse by the owners to get the players to sign the new deal, or will the Twins and Expos be gone for good?
post #2 of 27
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>So, is this just a ruse by the owners to get the players to sign the new deal, or will the Twins and Expos be gone for good?</strong><hr></blockquote>

hopefully gone. perhaps then we'll see half decent pitching in the leage.

I think they should go a step further and get rid of both florida teams.
post #3 of 27
I also hope MLB gets rid of them. I don't know much about the Twins, but the Expos have no fans at all and are just a waste of space in the NL east.
post #4 of 27
Well, there is a delicate line the owners have to walk. First of all, the owners have to want to contract and accept the buyout, and the players Union would be pretty upset if 1/8 of their work force was cut.

I doubt we'll see more than 2 teams contracted ever, never mind more than this year.
post #5 of 27
When the Red Sox played the Expos in interleague play (which is an abomination), there were more Red Sox fans that drove up to see the games than Expos fans. Plus, who wants to see a team when they aren't even on television, and can't field a competitive team?

The Red Sox games had the most attendance of any Expos games of the year.

That's just sad.
post #6 of 27
And whenever the Mets are in Montreal at least half those fans seem to be Mets fans.
post #7 of 27
As a Pirate fan, this could be a good thing. If the Buccos could get Vladimir Guererro or Eric Milton, the Bucs could go from 100 losses to MAYBE a .500 record...assuming Kendall comes back healthy, and Aramis Ramirez has another monster season.

But, I HATE to see the Twins go...they have a great history and a promising young team. I guess MLB doe snot want to so readily admit the mistake they made AKA the Devil Rays (sorry Rays fans! :o ) Plus, Tropican and Olympi are the two worst ballparks HANDS DOWN in the majors...speaking of which, had the Pirates not just moved into PNC Park, they may be on the cutting room floor, so to speak.
post #8 of 27
It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm still not sure that they can cut the Twins if the Congress threatens to revoke the clause that makes MLB a 'legal monopoly'. MLB will do anything to keep that status.
post #9 of 27
Man if the Twins go down it is a sad state of affairs.

Get rid of the goddam Marlins or Devil Rays or whatever stupid-ass teams we have out there. Not the Twins.

Harmon Killebrew
Kirby Puckett

That's history, that would be a travesty.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #10 of 27
[quote]Originally posted by EmAn:
<strong>I also hope MLB gets rid of them. I don't know much about the Twins, but the Expos have no fans at all and are just a waste of space in the NL east.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Twins have lots of fans, particularly in outstate Minnesota. People here are shocked and disappointed by the news.

The millionare/billionaire owners are just pissed at us because we refuse to use our tax dollars to buy them a new stadium to play in.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Mojo the Monkey ]</p>
- Mojo the Monkey
- Mojo the Monkey
post #11 of 27
[quote]Originally posted by groverat:
<strong>

Harmon Killebrew
Kirby Puckett

That's history, that would be a travesty.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't forget:

Rod Carew
Jim Kaat
Jim Perry
Mudcat Grant
Bob Allison
Zoilo Versalles
Bert Blyleven
Frank Viola
Gary Gaetti
Tom Brunansky
Greg Gagne
Kent Hrbek

Why am I whispering?
Why am I whispering?
post #12 of 27
CaseCom, were you at the Series in '87 and '91?
That had to be the loudest environment for any baseball games, ever! My Homer Hanky still hangs proudly on my wall.

Jeff
What are you up to, Norm?

My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall.

post #13 of 27
Nope, I left town for my freshman year of college in Chicago in the fall of '87 ... I watched the Series in the dorm TV lounge with three Cardinals fans and a bunch of ambivalent Cubs/White Sox fans.

I listened to most of Game 7 in '91 (Morris vs. Smoltz) on the car radio while driving from Chicago back to Minnesota on I-90 ... got home in about the 8th inning and watched the rest on TV. Awesome!
Why am I whispering?
Why am I whispering?
post #14 of 27
[quote]Originally posted by CaseCom:
<strong>

Don't forget:

Rod Carew
Jim Kaat
Jim Perry
Mudcat Grant
Bob Allison
Zoilo Versalles
Bert Blyleven
Frank Viola
Gary Gaetti
Tom Brunansky
Greg Gagne
Kent Hrbek

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a really good list you have.

I'd add:

Brad Radke
Brian Harper
Jeff Reardon
Dan Gladden
Rick Aguilera
and Chuck Knnnnnnnnnoblauch
rm -rf /bin/laden
rm -rf /bin/laden
post #15 of 27
Hey good additions. I started following the Twins in the late '70s, so I could also add:

Roy Smalley
Bobby Randall
Mike Cubbage
"Disco" Danny Ford
Larry Hisle
Butch Wynegar
Rob Wilfong
Glenn Adams
Lyman Bostock
Ron Jackson
Ken Landreaux
Hosken Powell
Willie Norwood
Dave Goltz
Geoff Zahn
Pete Redfern
Roger Erickson
Jerry Koosman
John Castino
... and of course...
Bombo Rivera!
Why am I whispering?
Why am I whispering?
post #16 of 27
If this does go down I hope it teaches baseball and pro sports in general not to throw teams around to any market that raises a little money.

They can say, look at the Devil Rays, but hey, does anyone remember the Marlins winning the Series?

Jeff

post #17 of 27
Yeah, the Marlins won the Series. Whoop-de-doo. Where are they now, though?
post #18 of 27
[quote]Originally posted by groverat:
<strong>Man if the Twins go down it is a sad state of affairs.

Get rid of the goddam Marlins or Devil Rays or whatever stupid-ass teams we have out there. Not the Twins.

Harmon Killebrew
Kirby Puckett

That's history, that would be a travesty.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure would. The Twins are only on the list because the owner is friends with Selig and he sees an easy profit. He'll get more if MLB buys him out than if he sold the team on the open market. I have no problem with contraction but it should be one of the Fla. teams not the Twins.
shooby doo, shooby doo
shooby doo, shooby doo
post #19 of 27
The thing is that Florida has spring training. Why do they need two teams to go with that?
post #20 of 27
Too bad the Braves aren't on the contraction list. Absolute worst fans in baseball....
Aldo is watching....
Aldo is watching....
post #21 of 27
Hey!

I'm from Montréal and I just gotta say that we had a LOT of people in the stands considering we got spit upon by management and MLB for the last 10 years...

Montreal is a great baseball city but it lost so many stars along the years the could field a bunch of all-star teams.

We owned in 1994... Then MLB pulled the plug.

BTW: I'll echo the fact that the braves should be eliminated for lack of fan support... empty seats everywhere -for a winning team!-

and the yankees weren't too hot before they became "the dynasty"...
Matvei

"they want to be on 'God's' good side; they want to be saved; want 70 virgins, or raisins, or whatever . . ." -Pfflam
Matvei

"they want to be on 'God's' good side; they want to be saved; want 70 virgins, or raisins, or whatever . . ." -Pfflam
post #22 of 27
[quote]
I'm from Montréal and I just gotta say that we had a LOT of people in the stands considering we got spit upon by management and MLB for the last 10 years...<hr></blockquote>

5,000 is a lot? Our high school city championship gets that many

[quote]
We owned in 1994... Then MLB pulled the plug.<hr></blockquote>

no, you just got rid of all the good players
post #23 of 27
5000 is many CONSIDERING the way we have been treated...

and the1994 strike is one blow, the other one was the ensuing firesale.

It's a wonder people continued going to games...
Matvei

Matvei

post #24 of 27
The Twins weren't half-bad, but to say they have fans is...well...of course they have fans...just not enough fans.
I can change my sig again!
I can change my sig again!
post #25 of 27
I'd take the florida teams before I took the Twins.

The Expos = need to go. And where's the glorious return of the Washington Senators?

That's what I wanna know. I'm tired of rooting for Baltimorons.
post #26 of 27
The essential point is of course the territories *left behind* by contraction/moving teams.

Deleting Montreal shifts the balance of its baseball fans (probably) to Toronto, which isn't all that big a deal.

Deleting the Minneapolis Twins, however, shifts its fans to the Milwaukee Brewers. Looking up which incredibly disinterested party owns the Milwaukee Brewers is left as an exercise to the reader.

The reason why there are no Senators is because the owner of the Orioles has consistently blocked it, because stripping out DC/Northern Virginia would dramatically contract his marketing territory.
This is not 38, this is old 97!
This is not 38, this is old 97!
post #27 of 27
[quote]Originally posted by Fran441:
<strong>The thing is that Florida has spring training. Why do they need two teams to go with that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well Fran, I think if the Florida teams were good that it wouldn't matter much, but since both Florida teams are bad you're right they have Spring Training and they don't need more.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › MLB Contraction