or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › My iPhone wishlist! What would you add?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My iPhone wishlist! What would you add?

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

Well I finally made the switch to the iPhone as soon as the 3GS came out. It's lovely, of course and I wouldn't go back... But I've compiled a list of annoyances and wishes I thought I'd share with you. Some of them I may be able to sort out with apps if you can help?...

Alarm and phone ring volumes
This is probably my biggest annoyance. I may be watching a YouTube clip, or some music very quietly when I go to bed so I don't wake anyone. But if I don't turn the volume up again before I put it down, my morning alarm will be next to silent. There should definitely be a separate control for the alarm and ring volumes. An increasing alarm/ring option (like on my old Sony Ericsson) would be even more greatly appreciated.

Pass code restriction on Mail
I don't get this. I can turn on password restriction to a lot of the apps, but not Mail? Surely if there's one app that I don't want other people poking around in it's the Mail app?

Collapsible email folders
I have lots of email folders and it takes a while to scroll through them to find the one I want, so collapsing folders would be cool. Also a smaller font would mean being able to fit more on a page... That font is huuuge!

Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network
Nifty idea of mine. would be good to save battery life non? Or maybe it wouldn't make any difference? Discuss.

Clock on screen while sleeping
It would be nice, but I can imagine it won't happen due to the screen actually being switched off to save power. I guess maybe eventually they'll employ a second e-ink display for that on later models... Maybe.

Set alarm to playlist or song on iPod
Like a clock radio... Would be good to wake up with music rather than a ringtone...

Weather app with live icon like Calendar app icon
I'm constantly told the weather is 23° and sunny it would be good to employ the same Calendar technology to the Weather app so I can see the current weather info without opening the app...

iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar
I know there are a load of ToDo apps on the App store, but I don't get why I can use the To Do list from iCal on the Mac, read it and update it on MobileMe, but can't even see it let alone edit it on the iPhone? I could download a To Do app, but then it won't be in sync with my iCal To Do list. Why, Apple, why?

Other stuff...
SMS smileys
Ability to shift menu pages around
Ability to set custom text message sound

post #2 of 33
Here are a couple adds to the iPhone

1. The ability to have an alarm from to do's (tasks) and not just email messages! Also, make them loud.

2. To do's from Ical with alarms is also a great idea.

3. Notes tied to notes on my mac-book
post #3 of 33
oops, forgot one!

1. spam filter.......
post #4 of 33
...especially in Canada.

'Nuff said.
post #5 of 33
Thread Starter 
I would add that the vibrate isn't very, er, vibratey. It sounds loud enough when it vibrates on the table, but in my pocket, compared to my last phone, I can't feel it at all.
post #6 of 33
I wouldn't mind more voice control options for song titles, podcasts, & etc. For example I can say:

"Play songs by Queen" but I can't say "Play Bohemian Rhapsody".

Other things I'd like the voice controls to recognize:

"Play podcast Adam Carolla Show."
"List songs by the Foo Fighters."
"Set timer for 30 minutes."
"Play the movie Batman Begins"
"Show the most recent Powerball numbers"
"New voice Memo" (Activates voice memo app & starts recording)
"Where am I?" (Your location is pinpointed in Maps app)
"List movies from Marcus Majestic Theater"


When plotting driving directions with the Maps Apps I'd like to be able to download the satellite
images of the route prior to the trip. This way when the 3G network drops off in the middle of
nowhere, I'll still have the satellite pics of the route that would be synced to the directions.
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
post #7 of 33
Same size form factor, but 3.7" screen. Like faster processors and memory making the UI smoother and faster, a bigger screen will make everything about the UI easier to interact with as all buttons and targets get 10% bigger. It'll make all everything easier to use.
post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutumiles1 View Post

3. Notes tied to notes on my mac-book

I thought that was already enabled!

I'm not sure where it is ... iTunes phone prefs perhaps?... a click-box to enable syncing of "notes" from the iPhone app to the "notes" within Mail on your Mac.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #9 of 33
real voice dialing like ever other cellphone
notes/ to do lists that sync with mobileme as a separate app
OTA download and syncing of paid for podcast subscriptions
settings shortcut app without having to jailbreak your iphone
battery optimizing app (turn off BT, 3g, etc)
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

"Where am I?" (Your location is pinpointed in Maps app)
"List movies from Marcus Majestic Theater"

I'm sure things like this will be included in future OS updates. Early days with all this voice recognition stuff. Firstly I'd like it to work properly

"Play songs by Queen"
... "Dialling Jean (who you've not spoken to in years)"...

I guess the best way round doing that would be to do it in stages...
"Play songs"
... "What songs would you like to play?"
"Queen"
... "Playing songs by Queen."


Quote:
When plotting driving directions with the Maps Apps I'd like to be able to download the satellite images of the route prior to the trip. This way when the 3G network drops off in the middle of nowhere, I'll still have the satellite pics of the route that would be synced to the directions.

Yes, very nice idea.

My main bugbear, coming from other makes of phone, is that the when the iPhone runs out of juice and you stick it on charge, it can be up to 10 minutes before there's enough charge to use it again. This might be okay in the world of iPods, but in the world of phones it is BAD. The number of times where I've been on the phone to someone important and the phone dies, previously all I needed to do is plug the phone in and I could call straight back. Having to wait 10 minutes is mad!
post #11 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

real voice dialing like ever other cellphone

What do you mean by "real voice dialling"? Isn't that what we've been talking about?
post #12 of 33
1. Apple logo on the back lights up
2. A little shorter, but same screen size
3. Terminal to access some of the underlying features
4. Scripting capabilities

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

1. Apple logo on the back lights up

...because an even shorter battery life is what we all crave!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #14 of 33
OLED screen.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

...because an even shorter battery life is what we all crave!

yeah but the battery will die in style

no seriously I always look at the back and think to myself how awesome it would be if it lit up

they can use energy efficient LEDs or whatever
make it optional
put a GUI option to switch it off

I just want it to be there for my next iPhone

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

Reply
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

yeah but the battery will die in style

no seriously I always look at the back and think to myself how awesome it would be if it lit up

they can use energy efficient LEDs or whatever
make it optional
put a GUI option to switch it off

I just want it to be there for my next iPhone

Put a sticker on it.

I'd like to be able to use iChat, mostly text and audio but even video over wifi. It has WiFi and a video camera, why not? Isn't iChat not even supported? Probably because AT&T wants to charge for retarded SMS. What must really scare AT&T is that then you could make free voice calls to people on computers and I assume perhaps even other smartphones if they could connect to AIM, SIP, Skype, or other voice over internet chat apps. Would be cool, probably won't happen, because of the rest of the industry. Same dilemma as me wishing the iPod could have a radio and be able to record it. Hm come to think of it an FM radio would be nice. I live on NPR and stuff. Am I the last one listening to radio or something?

Real vibrate would be key.

The thing I noticed when I was using an iPhone was it was annoying to use as a phone. Like, when I want to call I just want to press ONE BUTTON. Same with ending a call. That's what the ONE button at the bottom should do when it's in phone mode. It should be a SEND/END button. In fact there should be an option to make it an instant SEND/END even when it is just in the Home mode. I think that'd make a lot of people happy. And again with a programmable device it could just be an option, although hopefully the default option.

It doesn't beep when you turn volume up/down unless I missed that in my quick test in the store. That was annoying if that is true.

And no Bluetooth devices. Why is Bluetooth even there!? A KEYBOARD would be the prime add-on device out of anything I'd think. Also I wonder if it can stream sound/video to Apple TV. That'd be pretty sick.
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

yeah but the battery will die in style

no seriously I always look at the back and think to myself how awesome it would be if it lit up

they can use energy efficient LEDs or whatever
make it optional
put a GUI option to switch it off

I just want it to be there for my next iPhone

I wouldn't mind the option for the Apple logo to flash when a call comes in while in vibrate mode
or to light up with a bluish glow while I'm on the phone but that should be an option that can be
turned off.
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
post #18 of 33
OK folks, here's the ultimate feature a phone can ever have:

Never, ever recharge. Charge off radio waves!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...a-mobile-phone

Just saw this today, thought it was damn cool. I just forgot to charge my phone last week!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

OK folks, here's the ultimate feature a phone can ever have:

Never, ever recharge. Charge off radio waves!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...a-mobile-phone

Just saw this today, thought it was damn cool. I just forgot to charge my phone last week!

That would be killer. Its not enough energy to use the phone, but enough to keep it in standby. If it were enough energy to match the amount that the phone is actually using in standby, would be nice. An example would be like drinking a soda. If you drink 50% and then a week later you drink 25% more, then you should still have 25% in the bottle. That means you'd only be draining the battery power that you're actually using up and technically standby would be 100% efficient and you wouldn't lose any power whatsoever. Sweet.
Reply
Reply
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

What do you mean by "real voice dialling"? Isn't that what we've been talking about?

completely hands free, just like my moto v551, i should not have to handle my phone to make a call using "voice dialing" my phone could be in the back seat and with my BT headset, carkit , put voice prints on each contact,
call richard---
call home
or just
home
department etc,
i should not have to press a button on the iphone to initiate this
my 4 year old moto v551 had this, so i could use my BT head set.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

That would be killer. Its not enough energy to use the phone, but enough to keep it in standby. If it were enough energy to match the amount that the phone is actually using in standby, would be nice. An example would be like drinking a soda. If you drink 50% and then a week later you drink 25% more, then you should still have 25% in the bottle. That means you'd only be draining the battery power that you're actually using up and technically standby would be 100% efficient and you wouldn't lose any power whatsoever. Sweet.

That concept would be totally sweet for iPhone but even better for Coke Zero. I want Coke to hire you sir!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #22 of 33
I had a little problem recording videos where I recording in landscape mode & for some
reason some videos would play them back in a vertical formal. There should be an option to rotate
the orientation of the video (either in the iPhoto or in the iPhone directly.)
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
Brock Samson: You didn't tell me Sasquatch was a... a dude.
Steve Summers: What, you couldn't tell?
Brock Samson: Not until I had to...[shudders] shave him.
Steve Summers: What are you, shy?...
Reply
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Like, when I want to call I just want to press ONE BUTTON. Same with ending a call. That's what the ONE button at the bottom should do when it's in phone mode. It should be a SEND/END button.

Why send? I can't see what that would be used for, other than if you had typed in a number directly. I hardly ever do that, I usually dial from my contacts.

Regarding an End button, try pressing the top (sleep) button while in a call. There's your end button

Amorya
post #24 of 33
for when the battery gets below 20%. Every other phone I have had has had this feature.
post #25 of 33
I just got my iPhone this weekend and already miss the ability to send a text to a group of friends without having to add them individually each time.

Did I miss this ability or would this be a nice add to the abilities of the iPhone?
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

for when the battery gets below 20%. Every other phone I have had has had this feature.

It doesn't have that!?
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
Reply
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

for when the battery gets below 20%. Every other phone I have had has had this feature.

it has a message but no tone.
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #28 of 33
there are text apps that allow you to send to several, i use textfree
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
Reply
post #29 of 33
Some validity here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Alarm and phone ring volumes When trying to be discreet at night, use headphones/earbuds. The volume of your alarm will not be affected.

Pass code restriction on Mail Don't share your iPhone.

Collapsible email folders

Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network Wouldn't make any difference.

Clock on screen while sleepingThe screen is sleeping. Counterproductive. Time is viewable with one touch of the Home button. If thats too much effort, there are digital clock apps designed for you.

Set alarm to playlist or song on iPodAny full length song can turned into a ringtone and synced to the iPhone, then set as the Alarm tone. It will play through instead of cutting off like a phone call.

Weather app with live icon like Calendar app iconUm...look outside? The only weather I don't ever need to know is what its doing this second.

iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar They can be view through Mail. Agree about iCal.

Other stuff...
SMS smileys - already exists through the use of Emoji.
Ability to shift menu pages around - No idea what this means
Ability to set custom text message sound - Agree.

post #30 of 33
New to iPhone and Apple in general. My biggest wish is to allow users to transfer files between the phone and PC without needing iTunes as if it were a USB hard drive. I know there are 3rd party apps that do this (I haven't settled on one yet) but it seems backwards this is not something done out of the box.

There are also some things that I'm sure are related to my newbie status such as how to get the keyboard to minimize while I'm creating a new email so that I can see what is inside the body (for example if you send a photo as an email). Just a little minimize keyboard arrow would do it.

I also wish there were a way to skip to next song in iPod mode by using a key, rather than having to use the screen. This is very hard to do when driving. For example the up down volume control could double as skip and previous. Maybe this can be done with voice command?

Still and all, I'm too new to have much of a wishlist. This beats the crap out of my previous RIM Curve.
post #31 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

completely hands free, just like my moto v551, i should not have to handle my phone to make a call using "voice dialing" my phone could be in the back seat and with my BT headset, carkit , put voice prints on each contact,

So your moto phone is constantly checking for people's voices, even in standby? Isn't that a bit of a battery killer?
post #32 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

When trying to be discreet at night, use headphones/earbuds. The volume of your alarm will not be affected.

That's not really a solution to the problem though. I was giving an example, but it's not just about being discreet. It's about messing with apps on my iPhone and then forgetting to change the volume back. If I was just playing a game with music and wanted to turn the volume down, I have to remember to turn it back up again before bed, or I can't hear my alarm. Or another point; the text message alert is waaay too loud. So I turn my volume down, which is also my ringer volume. Then my normal alarm is too quiet.

Sony Ericsson had an excellent solution - increasing volume on ringtones. Alarms and ringers start quiet, then increase in volume over time. Even better for a morning alarm because you're not woken up with a startling noise!

Quote:
Pass code restriction on Mail Don't share your iPhone.

Oh, that's a great one. Not thought of that! if that's the answer, then why do Apple provide locks for most of the other bundled software?

Quote:
Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network Wouldn't make any difference.

Again, a bit of a blunt answer really. Any proof of that? Surely the iPhone is still connected to the 3G network when WiFi is connected, and 3G connecting takes up more battery power than 2G. So why would it not make any difference?

Quote:
The screen is sleeping. Counterproductive. Time is viewable with one touch of the Home button. If thats too much effort, there are digital clock apps designed for you.

Yes I had thought about that and it's probably not a good idea. Battery life more important!

Quote:
Any full length song can turned into a ringtone and synced to the iPhone, then set as the Alarm tone. It will play through instead of cutting off like a phone call.

Yes I know, and that wasn't the suggestion. Even if I duplicated my whole music library and convert them to ringtones, I'd still have no way of choosing one randomly from a Playlist as an alarm. Adding a feature to set a Playlist as a ringtone instead of a ringtone would be extremely easy for Apple.

Quote:
Weather app with live icon like Calendar app icon
Um...look outside? The only weather I don't ever need to know is what its doing this second.

Heh... True. Although I do see a lot of places that display the current local temperature. Some people find that type of thing interesting. So, if the app icon isn't going to show the right temperature, it shouldn't really show it at all.

Quote:
iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar They can be view through Mail. Agree about iCal.

Yes the Mail thing is read-only which is pretty useless on a "smart phone". I'm actually torn as to which GTD app to buy for the iPhone. "Things" looks amazing, but there is no cloud server sync so unless I bought the expensive Mac app too, there's no real way of backing them up. Alternatively I could buy ToodleDo, which at least is server-based, but the app looks fuuuugly.

Quote:
SMS smileys - already exists through the use of Emoji.

Really? From what I've read, Emoji icons only show up to other iPhone users. I don't think they just replace the usual colon-hyphen-bracket etc and display as emoticons, do they? I find it weird that Apple don't include this in the Messages app; it mimics iChat in lots of other ways, but not this.

Quote:
Ability to shift menu pages around - No idea what this means

Exactly what it says. For example, I want to swap my second page of apps with the third... That kind of thing. I'm sure Apple will eventually add some functionality like this now that people are downloading more and more apps.

Quote:
Ability to set custom text message sound - Agree.

Hooray!
post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Hi all,

Well I finally made the switch to the iPhone as soon as the 3GS came out. It's lovely, of course and I wouldn't go back... But I've compiled a list of annoyances and wishes I thought I'd share with you. Some of them I may be able to sort out with apps if you can help?...

Alarm and phone ring volumes
This is probably my biggest annoyance. I may be watching a YouTube clip, or some music very quietly when I go to bed so I don't wake anyone. But if I don't turn the volume up again before I put it down, my morning alarm will be next to silent. There should definitely be a separate control for the alarm and ring volumes. An increasing alarm/ring option (like on my old Sony Ericsson) would be even more greatly appreciated.

Pass code restriction on Mail
I don't get this. I can turn on password restriction to a lot of the apps, but not Mail? Surely if there's one app that I don't want other people poking around in it's the Mail app?

Collapsible email folders
I have lots of email folders and it takes a while to scroll through them to find the one I want, so collapsing folders would be cool. Also a smaller font would mean being able to fit more on a page... That font is huuuge!

Automatic switch off 3G when connected to a WiFi network
Nifty idea of mine. would be good to save battery life non? Or maybe it wouldn't make any difference? Discuss.

Clock on screen while sleeping
It would be nice, but I can imagine it won't happen due to the screen actually being switched off to save power. I guess maybe eventually they'll employ a second e-ink display for that on later models... Maybe.

Set alarm to playlist or song on iPod
Like a clock radio... Would be good to wake up with music rather than a ringtone...

Weather app with live icon like Calendar app icon
I'm constantly told the weather is 23° and sunny it would be good to employ the same Calendar technology to the Weather app so I can see the current weather info without opening the app...

iCal To Do/tasks in Calendar
I know there are a load of ToDo apps on the App store, but I don't get why I can use the To Do list from iCal on the Mac, read it and update it on MobileMe, but can't even see it let alone edit it on the iPhone? I could download a To Do app, but then it won't be in sync with my iCal To Do list. Why, Apple, why?

Other stuff...
SMS smileys
Ability to shift menu pages around
Ability to set custom text message sound


All are quite good suggestions save the clock on sleep mode thing. I bet that's never going to happen for now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › My iPhone wishlist! What would you add?