or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › iMac doesn't detect HD

iMac doesn't detect HD

post #1 of 3
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my Intel iMac 20" (late 2006), two months ago my original HD failed and I had to change it. Last night my iMac was fine, but this morning when I woke up the screen was frozen, couldn't move or close anything. I turned off the power and on again and an icon of a folder with a question mark started blinking on my screen, started the iMac with my Leopard dvd but the HD didn't show up on the installation options or either on the disk utilities.
So I disassembled my iMac and mounted a new HD, turned the Mac on and the problem is still there, my iMac doesn't detect the HD. Can anyone help me or give me some tips? Can it be from the power supply cable that connects the HD?

I'm Portuguese and living at Azores right now, in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, and I don't have any Apple Store our place I can fix it near me.
post #2 of 3
Yes, it COULD be the power supply.
Or, it COULD be a problem with the SATA controller.
Or, it COULD be two HDD's in a row were "bad" (seems unlikely).
Or, it COULD be something we haven't thought of...

Got a little technical skill? ... the power supply cable could be checked with a simple volt-meter, if you're willing to power things up with the machine opened.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #3 of 3
Is there any other computers you could connect the HDDs to, just to see if they show up in the bios and spin up?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › iMac doesn't detect HD