or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's image may be tarnished by poor factory conditions

Apple's image may be tarnished by poor factory conditions - Page 3

post #81 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

WTF do you think that Apple's 2009 responsibility progress report is trying to do!

The report was done by Apple for Apple so that they can address these things!!! Does anyone ever understand what they read around here anymore?

Will Apple shower $$ on all those workers? No. But they have demonstrated a stake in trying to ensure there are as few abuses as possible and not just do head in the sand ignoring of the issue like the rest of corporate America does.

I think a lot of us missed this point.
post #82 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It still holds.

Plus, this is based on Apple's OWN audit. They are policing THEMSELVES. They could have simply kept quiet about it. If anything, this entire issue is Apple-positive news.

Now go back to enjoying your iPhone.

I know, I'm cranky- I just got my first AT&T bill with all the start up fees, etc.
post #83 of 98
Remember also, these aren't Apple employees. They are employees of companies that make Apple (and other's) stuff, but not payrolled employees of Apple.
Shame on those companies for not following their laws. Apple is just pressuring them to be better.
post #84 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I know, I'm cranky- I just got my first AT&T bill with all the start up fees, etc.

It's one of the more expensive phones to own on contract. But your very first bill will always be high. It'll get better, though. Just hang in there.
post #85 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Remember also, these aren't Apple employees. They are employees of companies that make Apple (and other's) stuff, but not payrolled employees of Apple.
Shame on those companies for not following their laws. Apple is just pressuring them to be better.

This entire article as posted by AI is misleading (the way it is presented.)

Apple's own audit of working conditions of non-Apple employees that assemble for Apple, as part of Apple's own effort to ensure its affiliates are acting responsibly.

And it get spun into a BS "shame on you, Apple" situation, and a "tarnish their image" situation.

More FUD to add to the pile.
post #86 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Shame on you, Apple. They treat their U.S. employees very well, and they should make sure their partners do the same. Their contracts make for a mighty threat.

I'm curious - do you also shame other companies that build their products in China? Do you look over the internal audits of their suppliers in the same way?

I'd wager not since few companies audit their suppliers like Apple.

Yes, let's encourage companies like Apple to continue to do the right thing by "rewarding" them with shame \
post #87 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe you would win some respect if you didn't didn't try to dismiss someone else's comment in such an off-hand way. Especially when their points weren't moot, you just wanted to spin it the way you did so you don't look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I'm curious - do you also shame other companies that build their products in China? Do you look over the internal audits of their suppliers in the same way?

I'd wager not since few companies audit their suppliers like Apple.

Yes, let's encourage companies like Apple to continue to do the right thing by "rewarding" them with shame \

1.) I don't have time to read internal audit reports by companies.
2.) Yes, I do boycott companies whose policies I don't agree with OR who use overseas factories and don't care about the conditions.
3.) I never said that Apple didn't care about the factory conditions in China, I just said that they should. This is not the first news report about this issue - there have been several over the years.
4.) The first 2 responders read into my post and didn't take it at face value. If Apple doesn't care about the conditions in the factories that they subcontract with, then shame on them. Their contracts are significant enough to force change for the better, and they should or else go with a different company.
5.) The first 2 responders points were moot because they were responding to something I didn't say (ie. reading too much into what I said).
post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It's one of the more expensive phones to own on contract. But your very first bill will always be high. It'll get better, though. Just hang in there.

And next comes my Verizon bill with their early cancelation fee. Those bast*rds!
post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robre View Post

... that when pure labor cost by comparison reaches 60% of labor cost in the U.S., companies will pull back manufacturing to the States. Poor conditions, like these in China, may even accelerate the return.
So I give it between 5 to 8 years and we will start start seeing labels on Apple boxes saying: "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in North Carolina."

Assembled by illegal immigrents from Mexico and China.
post #90 of 98
I personally don't care.

This is how the world works, exploited and exploiter.

Plus the factories aren't run by Apple, Apple outsources production.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #91 of 98
These 83 factories are not specifically making only Apple products, so why is Apple the only one that seems to be getting the heat for it?

If a factory in this country fails to meet requirements, it is the Government that steps in to take care of the situation, or an employee or some watchdog organization gets lawyers involved and generates a lawsuit to see if the situation can become rectified.

Well, how much control does Apple really have in these cases? The violations are not of Apple's doing and they may not even have much control over it. Don't you think the Chinese Government should be stepping in against these Chinese mfgs? Aren't they the ones that have the greatest amount of power in terms of getting these companies to rectify the situation.

Why is everyone taking potshots at Apple? What other companies other than Apple use these same Chinese mfgs?
post #92 of 98
The Blackberry's we sell here are made in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

RIM is Canadian company and they manufacture their phones in Canada.

Some companies still have standards against 3rd world labor.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #93 of 98
Quote:

Good. They are doing the right thing. I never implied they were willfully neglectful. My point is proven.

Your points are moot.

QFT:
Quote:

Shame on you, Apple. They treat their U.S. employees very well, and they should make sure their partners do the same. Their contracts make for a mighty threat.

And that isn't a implication that they aren't doing something willfully neglectful? I think the "Shame on you, Apple" pretty much contradicts your attempt to shift stances in the dark.

So much for moot points, unless you are now agreeing that your original post was incorrect in its condescending and explicitly accusatory wording.

Quote:

1.) I don't have time to read internal audit reports by companies.
2.) Yes, I do boycott companies whose policies I don't agree with OR who use overseas factories and don't care about the conditions.
3.) I never said that Apple didn't care about the factory conditions in China, I just said that they should. This is not the first news report about this issue - there have been several over the years.
4.) The first 2 responders read into my post and didn't take it at face value. If Apple doesn't care about the conditions in the factories that they subcontract with, then shame on them. Their contracts are significant enough to force change for the better, and they should or else go with a different company.
5.) The first 2 responders points were moot because they were responding to something I didn't say (ie. reading too much into what I said).

Noticing "Shame on you" isn't reading at face value? What face are you trying to show us here? Because you forgot which one you already posted.
post #94 of 98
With a story like this in Newsweek, who want's to volunteer to be the person to go to those Chinese factories and demand they fix their compensation and overtime practices.

Quote:
Risky Business
In China, foreign businessmen who play hardball can wind up doing hard time.
post #95 of 98
What irritates me is that Apple can't just make their products here in the USA.

They USED to in the 80s. Apple IIs and the original Macs were made in the USA.

Why can't they do it today? Apple is already a premium brand that commands a higher price. They audit their Chinese partners and act like they're all concerned when what they should be doing is bringing the manufacturing jobs back home.

Apple (along with pretty much every other US computer company) are a bunch of hypocrites.
post #96 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

If Apple complied with their own "compliance issues" then the Bloomberg article never would have been written and if it was it would not have included Apple's name in the report.

Apple does not have a good track history when it comes to Outsource Employee Satisfaction. That is putting it as politely as I can.

Yes, many other companies have the same manufacturing process but it doesn't excuse any one of them from what is conveyed in the article.

This is the nature of using an outside, or overseas vendor. Do you think you know everything that goes on with everyone you deal with? Seriously? Now multiply that by Apple's situation.

Apple found out about these "abuses" and reported on them. Read Apple's own documentation.

Also, it's significant that Bloomberg contacted Apple, not the New York Times, The Detroit Free Press, or the Christian Science Monitor. Reason? Stock manipulation, pure and simple.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #97 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

What irritates me is that Apple can't just make their products here in the USA.

They USED to in the 80s. Apple IIs and the original Macs were made in the USA.

Why can't they do it today? Apple is already a premium brand that commands a higher price. They audit their Chinese partners and act like they're all concerned when what they should be doing is bringing the manufacturing jobs back home.

Apple (along with pretty much every other US computer company) are a bunch of hypocrites.

The real culprit beneath all of this is the manipulation of the dollar by the Federal Reserve and our illustrious government. Our currency is devalued, and Chinese currency is pegged to about 1/7th the value of the dollar. If it made greater economic sense to do so, all manufacturing would be done in the US instead. Get the manipulation of the dollar out of the hands of the Fed and some kind of equilibrium could be achieved in the markets.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #98 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

Unions were formed when Big Business took unfair advantage of labor; but labor shot itself in the foot when the whims of the union bosses took priority over the companies' need to stay profitable. The solution? Off shore! Perhaps Apple should start a little experiment: Manufacture the simplest products here in the USA by creating an Apple subsidiary, based on a profit-sharing model. It's been proven time and time again that workers who get a cut in the action produce better products; and bringing jobs back (the other Jobs is already back) is the quickest way to help the US economy

It is not the job of individual businesses to "help the economy". It is their legal and fiduciary responsibility to provide a profit for their investors. Our economy needs our government's hands off of it!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's image may be tarnished by poor factory conditions