or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › September 11th, 2001 - Where were you that morning?

September 11th, 2001 - Where were you that morning? - Page 2

post #41 of 44
I was still asleep when the news came on my clock radio that one of the towers had been hit. I remember thinking to myself -- mostly in a sleepy trance -- "Man, that place is just a glutton for punishment," and I went back to sleep. Several minutes later and still in a trance, I heard another report that the second tower had been hit. At this point, I think to myself, "That can't be a coincidence." I was then mostly conscious, and they also said the Pentagon had been hit as well. Right then, the reporter uttered a sentence I'll never forget for the rest of my life:

"It appears that America is under attack."

It was then that I ran into my living room, turned on our TV, and through the heavy static of our poor reception, watched as the towers collapsed and thousands of people ran through the streets. I then thought to myself, "No, this doesn't happen in our country. This happens in places like Palestine, or Isreal, or someplace other than the USA!"

It shook me to the core to see my fellow Americans running to save their lives from falling debris, fire, etc. Not in America. This isn't supposed to happen in MY country.

After talking to my dad on the phone, getting ready for the day, and filling up my car (just in case), I then headed to campus. I will never forget that scene either. Everyone I saw seemed like empty shells, devoid of any resemblance of joy, happiness, or positive spirit.

The next day was the hardest, though. I literally felt like one of my closest friends died. His name was Peace of Mind. No longer could I blindly trust that everything would be okay, and that scared the hell out of me.

I'm a religious person, and to make a long story short, God showed me his peace when I could find none on my own. I'll be okay because of that, but we'll never be the same ever again.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
Living life in glorious 4G HD (with a 2GB data cap).
post #42 of 44
I was at work. Saw a group in a conference room and a TV was on, so I invited myself in. The second plane hadn't hit yet. Much engineering conjecture as to what was actually happening, no one but me mentioned that it must be hell in that building, trying to get out. Then the second tower was hit. After the cries died down, I announced, "We're at war with someone."

More conjecture about whether the buildings would stand. The electrical engineers were confident that they would, I, a Mechanical Engineer, told them that they were coming down. Unfortunately, I was right.

I kept remembering the scenes from 1993 where people staggered out of the WTC for hours after the bombing. I kept thinking about the goddamned stair wells, and what that must have been like. We threw estimates around about how many people had been in the building at the time, (concensus was 50,000: the population of Waterville, Maine, my hometown). Thank hell we were wrong.

I knew that we'd be attacked by someone someday. With the weapons that are potentially available to these bastards, we've gotten off lightly so far.

That is not to trivialize the deaths that we've suffered, and if any victim family members ever read this, please accept a virtual hug and my sincerest sympathies.

Aries 1B

PS: The friday after That Tuesday, I drove over to a local Burger King for lunch. As I left the line and traversed a parking lot, I heard a screech of tires; a car was speeding away from a nearby bank. I thought, "Oh great, some dick has been dumped by his girl friend." Right on the bumper of the car was an Indianapolis policeman, his gun drawn. The car sped past my hapless, thin-walled VW Jetta. The officer leveled his gun as the car started to pass me (i.e., I was between the officer and the bad guys). The officer let loose with his Glock and missed both the bad guys and me (I had ducked down behind the aluminum-foil like door of my car, wondering where the first round would hit me). The shooting stopped and I drove back to work... elated that I had survived my first gunfight.

That's when I started getting past That Tuesday.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Aries 1B ]</p>
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
"I pictured myself sitting in the shade of a leafy tree in a public park, a stylus in hand, a shiny Apple Tablet computer in my lap, and a pouty Jennifer Connelly stirring a pitcher of gimlets a...
post #43 of 44
[quote]Originally posted by roger_ramjet:

<strong>... Another friend had left a couple of messages on the answering machine - if I was awake I needed to turn on the TV. "There's some awful, crazy stuff that's happening." He didn't know it then but maybe he already suspected it: his cousin was in one of the towers. He was a bond trader at Cantor Fitzgerald... </strong><hr></blockquote>

They just had a story last night on CBS' 48 Hours about my friend's cousin. He was a twin. The story was also about the surviving brother and how he is now trying to step up and be a surrogate father to his 5-year-old niece. She is so beautiful.
shooby doo, shooby doo
shooby doo, shooby doo
post #44 of 44
well, i had taken the day off sick... the day off i should have taken monday, but they needed a spare pair of hands in the studio, so i went in with the promise that i could get tuesday off.

woke up... don't remember when. let the dog out in the back yard as i fired up the computer to check email. that's when i heard the upstairs neighbor on the phone saying something about "and airplane hitting the buidling."

okay, let's kick on headline news and see what's going on -- it's sure to have made a byline. just got a few broadcasters talking. hmmm... switch a few channels. more braodcasters. damn. a lot of news going on... what the hell has happened?

get to nbc, and that's when i saw it... both towers billowing with smoke, and then "world trade center" underneath. holy sh!t. then the news came in that the pentagon had been hit.

oh ny f'n lord. i yelled for my wife to come to the t.v. -- mostly so i could get someone else to verify what the hell i was seeing. then the reports of the other plane having diverted course (the one that went down in pennsylvania).

then the first tower fell. i'm sure lots of minutes and commentary filled those minutes, but the stun-factor was in full effect, and the morning seemed to go by in a span of 10 minutes.

not knowing when this all started, i called work, to tell someone to turn on a t.v., but they were way ahead of me. i was a wreck. i couldn't think. couldn't really talk. being an american in canada, i felt both a little safer, yet horribly removed from all my loved ones...

then the second tower fell.

i told my wife then "i had really hoped i could live this life without EVER having to be witness to something like this."
When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

When you're lovers in a dangerous time,
You're made to feel as if your love's a crime.
Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight.
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › September 11th, 2001 - Where were you that morning?