or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Apple legal wanted 'Laptop Hunter' ads pulled

Microsoft says Apple legal wanted 'Laptop Hunter' ads pulled

post #1 of 204
Microsoft's chief operating officer claimed Wednesday that Apple's legal department demanded the Windows maker pull its "Laptop Hunter" ads -- the TV spots in which company casts Macs as overpriced novelty items.

Speaking Wednesday at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference 2009 in New Orleans, La., COO Kevin Turner said the advertisements, which portray Windows PCs as a better value than Apple products, have proven effective. So much so, according to a transcript of Turner's speech, that he received a phone call from Apple.

And so we've been running these PC value ads. Just giving people saying, hey, what are you looking to spend? Oh, I'm looking to spend less than $1,000. Well we'll give you $1,000. Go in and look and see what you can buy. And they come out and they just show them. Those are completely unscripted commercials.

And you know why I know they're working? Because two weeks ago we got a call from the Apple legal department saying, hey -- this is a true story -- saying, "Hey, you need to stop running those ads, we lowered our prices." They took like $100 off or something. It was the greatest single phone call in the history that I've ever taken in business.

I did cartwheels down the hallway. At first I said, "Is this a joke? Who are you?" Not understanding what an opportunity. And so we're just going to keep running them and running them and running them.

Reading into Turner's comments about lower prices, MacDailyNews hypothesizes that Apple's problem with the ads came with one in particular. In the ad, Microsoft shows a MacBook Pro that costs $2,000, but since early June it has been replaced by a newer model that costs just $1,700. The advertisement, with old pricing, has continued to run on TV well after the price drop.

And while Turner claimed the advertisements are unscripted, Microsoft came under fire after their first Laptop Hunters ad aired featuring a member of the Screen Actors Guild.

For the past year, Microsoft has ramped up its advertising of Windows. Some of the company's earlier attempts, such as the ads featuring Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld, fell flat. For its $300 million campaigns, Microsoft hired acclaimed advertising agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky.

But this year, at least one study claimed the new Laptop Hunter ads are working. In May, ad trackers at BrandIndex discovered that Microsoft overtook Apple in value perception scores the belief that a given brand gives more value for money starting from the end of March, or roughly when Microsoft began its Laptop Hunters ad campaign on TV and online.

In one advertisement, a woman named Lauren looks for a system with "speed, portability and battery life" under $1,700. She briefly looks at a Mac, but eventually settles on a Dell Studio XPS 13, on sale for $899. Like the rest of the advertisements, it plays up the notion that PCs offer more choice and value than Macs.

Responding directly to Microsoft in May, Apple released three new "Get a Mac" ads refuting claims from the Windows maker. The ads, featuring actors John Hodgman and Justin Long, suggested that poor Windows PCs are no choice at all.

In one response, entitled "Elimination," a shopper named Megan tries to choose between Long's Mac and a number of PCs, led by Hodgman. The PCs walk away as fewer and fewer of them meet the actress' criteria of a big screen, a fast processor, and the deal breaker a system that "just works" without crashes or viruses. In the end, Megan is left with only the Mac as her real choice.
post #2 of 204
I do suspect they may be effective - my wife of 11 years just bought a PC despite the fact that we already have 4 Macs in the house - one of which is hers a PowerBook G4 fully loaded with RAM and 10.5.x. I have a PC for work and I work on and support offices full of PCs - and I am not shy about expressing my opinion of Mac vs PC - but I guess she never listens to anything I say - because she after she bought it - she asked me which I think is better and she goes on to say that the Macs are too expensive. Coincidentally the next morning after she told me she ordered a PC - my work PC was stuck in a blue screen on boot regardless of safe mode etc as the result of an antivirus program update that moved some device drivers and rendered the system non functional until I took it to my company's IT department and had them run a custom boot disk and repair utility - the process including travel time only took half a day - but hey the PC is cheaper.
post #3 of 204
If this turns out to be accurate, it makes Apple look like a bunch of crybabies.
post #4 of 204
Well this is strange for two reasons; 1. Apple is crying about it when they themselves have been having these PC vs Mac ads for some time and the MS didn't complain, 2. Are these ads really working?
post #5 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If this turns out to be accurate, it makes Apple look like a bunch of crybabies.

I agree 100%, after all the ads they have run with half trues in them. On the other hand, I highly doubt that they would do this unless they had legal ground to stand on. Dropping the price of a computer that is still much higher in initial cost is not what I would call legal grounds. And it makes no sense to have a 'laywer' call M$ on this if they weren't prepared to do something about it. Honestly, I'm not buying this....yet.
post #6 of 204
Apple Lawyers don't make social phone calls; they send "cease and desist" letters if they are sure to have a case.

This story is simply too stupid to believe; as if a company lawyer would phone a COO of one the biggest competitors with a non-traceable request. Lawyers do everything on paper, by fax and by registered mail.

Mr Turner either had a bad dream, or he was victim of a prank call; just like Sarah Palin actually believed she had french president Sarkozy on the line on Nov 1, 2008. (see huffingtonpost.com)
post #7 of 204
Quote:

Yeah, I'm not sure that this isn't just a publicity stunt. If it is true, the doofus at Apple who made the call should be canned.

Yes, the laptop hunter ads clearly stretch the truth and mislead, but so do the get a mac ads to a certain degree.

While I prefer MACs to PCs, I am a big believer in that old saying "you get what you pay for". I have used Macs for 20 years and have had very, very few problems. Our PCs at work are always requiring repairs and clean installs and are plagued with viruses and spyware. (yes we run virus software) The Macs just work. Day in and day out, they are rock solid,

I am running the latest version of Mac OS on my six year old 17" PowerBook and it runs great as does my Adobe CS4. Try running the latest flavor of Windows on a six year old laptop!

Yes Macs cost a little more, I'm okay with that, they're better. Even if the hardware was equal, the PC is crippled right out of the box because the OS is Windows!
post #8 of 204
Quote:

Who cares? The ads are inaccurate at the new prices. The MS COO may have cartwheeled down the hallway but he was cartwheeling to the legal department for some long talks.
post #9 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Who cares? The ads are inaccurate at the new prices. The MS COO may have cartwheeled down the hallway but he was cartwheeling to the legal department for some long talks.

Here's what would happen from their "long talks" from the legal department: In tiny, itsy bitsy white lettering, they will put a line like "filmed 5/15/09" and this will cover everything. Face it, the ads are working and if what the article says is true, it's proof.

My sociology teacher once said "The masses are morons." Ads like this, and their success might be proof. I don't mean to sound hateful or anything, but the ads are pretty dorky.
post #10 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I do suspect they may be effective - my wife of 11 years just bought a PC despite the fact that we already have 4 Macs in the house - one of which is hers a PowerBook G4 fully loaded with RAM and 10.5.x. I have a PC for work and I work on and support offices full of PCs - and I am not shy about expressing my opinion of Mac vs PC - but I guess she never listens to anything I say - because she after she bought it - she asked me which I think is better and she goes on to say that the Macs are too expensive. Coincidentally the next morning after she told me she ordered a PC - my work PC was stuck in a blue screen on boot regardless of safe mode etc as the result of an antivirus program update that moved some device drivers and rendered the system non functional until I took it to my company's IT department and had them run a custom boot disk and repair utility - the process including travel time only took half a day - but hey the PC is cheaper.

First, I kind of think your wife bought the PC out of spite. Sounds like she's sick of listening to your rantings about mac vs pc and wanted to get a pc to be rebellious in some manner (lol )

Second, your story about the anti virus messing up the system sounds like horse poo. Sorry, not trying to start a fight here or anything, but if your IT guy had half a brain, updates like that would be controlled by his department, and if the update rendered the PC inoperable, they wouldn't push it out to the network.

Now, that said, if the update did cause an issue like that, being bitter towards the PC because of a third party's screw up is like me saying I hate ford because the supercharger I put on blew the engine up...
post #11 of 204
Does anyone really believe anything MS says? Like "Vista will revolutionize the PC computer market". Or "sure our OS is safe". Please.
post #12 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanx_al View Post

Does anyone really believe anything MS says? Like "Vista will revolutionize the PC computer market". Or "sure our OS is safe". Please.

If it were Ballmer saying this, I wouldn't believe it for one second But I have no reason to doubt the other Microsoft execs.
post #13 of 204
Microsoft - people are buying computers with our product loaded at a decreasing rate. We give people money to buy a computer.

Apple - people are buying our computers at an increasing rate. Our computers are more expensive. People use their own money to buy our computers.

This guy at Microsoft is doing cartwheels, why?
post #14 of 204
Do you think MS is scared of Apple's lawyers. This isn't Pystar we are talking about. I'm sure MS has a pretty good legal department too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbollen View Post

Apple Lawyers don't make social phone calls; they send "cease and desist" letters if they are sure to have a case.

This story is simply too stupid to believe; as if a company lawyer would phone a COO of one the biggest competitors with a non-traceable request. Lawyers do everything on paper, by fax and by registered mail.

Mr Turner either had a bad dream, or he was victim of a prank call; just like Sarah Palin actually believed she had french president Sarkozy on the line on Nov 1, 2008. (see huffingtonpost.com)
post #15 of 204
Reminds me of that famous Shakespeare line:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
post #16 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Maneker View Post

Microsoft - people are buying computers with our product loaded at a decreasing rate. We give people money to buy a computer.

Apple - people are buying our computers at an increasing rate. Our computers are more expensive. People use their own money to buy our computers.

This guy at Microsoft is doing cartwheels, why?

I think they've given like five actors "money" and thats for an ad? Jeez man, if you're gonna make a good point like the rate at which people are buying computers, don't muck it up with something like that.

But yeah, the fact that these lower prices aren't helping the decreasing rate of PC purchases is a good point that I think Apple needs to make in their next ad.
post #17 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Who cares? The ads are inaccurate at the new prices.

Can you name a specific statement that's now inaccurate that wasn't before? The only one I can think of that might be inaccurate is the one of the video editor lady. Otherwise, the price drops weren't enough to change the accuracy of the statements in other ads that I remember.
post #18 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbollen View Post

What proof does Mr. Turner put forward in this article? What the name of the person on Apples legal team is he quoting. By the way? I just got a call from Microsoft Marketing department and they told me Steve Ballmer flue to Memphis to get a lobotomy. http://forums.appleinsider.com/image...s/1smoking.gif
post #19 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I think they've given like five actors "money" and thats for an ad? Jeez man, if you're gonna make a good point like the rate at which people are buying computers, don't muck it up with something like that.

But yeah, the fact that these lower prices aren't helping the decreasing rate of PC purchases is a good point that I think Apple needs to make in their next ad.

I too think it's strange that apple hasn't countered on the idea that m4 has to pay people to buy their product
post #20 of 204
Here's my take on it. Frankly, whether MS runs these ads or not, there will always be a certain percentage of the population (generally less educated) that buys junk computers. I'm ok with that - simply because I make money on the side fixing the computers for them when they break or get a virus in a few months. If everyone got a Mac, I wouldn't make any money that way. Hell, poor Geek Squad would just go out of business if there were no one buying the cheap PCs anyway.... lol

I would be tickled pick if Mac reaches 25% of the market and stayed there. At least then, you should have most software developers (including games) developing native apps on OSX as well as Windows.
post #21 of 204
Quote:

First, I kind of think your wife bought the PC out of spite. Sounds like she's sick of listening to your rantings about mac vs pc and wanted to get a pc to be rebellious in some manner (lol )

Second, your story about the anti virus messing up the system sounds like horse poo. Sorry, not trying to start a fight here or anything, but if your IT guy had half a brain, updates like that would be controlled by his department, and if the update rendered the PC inoperable, they wouldn't push it out to the network.

Now, that said, if the update did cause an issue like that, being bitter towards the PC because of a third party's screw up is like me saying I hate ford because the supercharger I put on blew the engine up...

Not trying to start a fight here either but you obviously haven't worked for a big enough company if this hasn't happened to you - there's a big, big, reason IT departments are so big, there are so many problems. I had a new video card driver pushed onto my machine and it made the primary application I use for my job (ANSYS so we're not talking about some tiny program here...) crash randomly (and quite often I might add) and then the IT dept had no idea how to get the old driver back and it took (no lie) 4 days to get the proper driver installed...

And it is a PC thing - I've never even heard of anyone having that kind of a problem with a Mac...
post #22 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by macare View Post

By the way? I just got a call from Microsoft Marketing department and they told me Steve Ballmer flue to Memphis to get a lobotomy.

Chimney sweeping is a very slow way to get from Redmond to Memphis.
post #23 of 204
Everyday Joes buy PCs because they are familiar, offer more choice, and are a bit cheaper. Professionals buy PCs because they offer vastly more choice in hardware and software, and have an OS that doesn't treat you like an idiot and is highly productive (XP anyway, MS blew it with Vista by trying to emulate OSX). Virus problems, etc. are vastly overstated and other than being cool and part of the club, are the only talking point apple fans have to justify less choice, a clunky OS, and higher prices.
post #24 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by john55 View Post

Everyday Joes buy PCs because they are familiar, offer more choice, and are a bit cheaper. Professionals buy PCs because they offer vastly more choice in hardware and software, and have an OS that doesn't treat you like an idiot and is highly productive (XP anyway, MS blew it with Vista by trying to emulate OSX). Virus problems, etc. are vastly overstated and other than being cool and part of the club, are the only talking point apple fans have to justify less choice, a clunky OS, and higher prices.

Excellent first post
post #25 of 204
Quote:

So you advocate doing something stupid to get back at someone giving good advice?

Quote:

I'm sorry but you're way off base here! I have heard countless examples of people at work having serious problems related to anti-virus software!

Quote:

Bad example! It's like saying I hate Ford because they didn't do a good job designing their engine which tends to stall and someone put the wrong additive into the gas that helps the problem. If Windows was designed properly you wouldn't need anti-viruses.
post #26 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Reminds me of that famous Shakespeare line:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Reminds me more of:" Why don't I just tell an unbelievable story to make us look good and them look bad. All the morons will fall for it. After all, they believed all the other BS over the years"
post #27 of 204
Quote:

The antivirus thing sounds perfectly believable to me. I've experienced it firsthand. I once had a PC a few years ago with Norton Antivirus running. One day it detected some virus infected files and quarantined them. I didn't notice anything wrong until I eventually rebooted and I could not even access Safe Mode. You know what files were quarantined, a.k.a. relocated to a "safe" sector of the hard drive? About 12 DLLs, the Registry and my MBR... Sh*t does happen lol. Needless to say, I'm a firm Mac believer now lol.
post #28 of 204
Microsoft's ads are aimed at different people than Apple's ads. They play to fundamentally different psychology. I don't think a customer who would respond to Microsoft's ads could be persuaded by Apple's ads or vice versa.
post #29 of 204
[edit, removed "content". Let's not feed this troll.]
post #30 of 204
What a place to work - Balmer doing his monkey dance and Turner doing cart wheels down the corridors! Scary.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple lawyers did call up MS but I am sure Turner did a lot of paraphrasing and interpretation for comic effect. And also - I am sure the ads are working. The ads are hardly cutting edge creatively nor in their execution but from an MS pov they do a very god job in imparting the message that MS gives excellent value and are good at everyday / creative tasks.

For me, the Im a Mac series has run its course. The smugness will backfire and I suspect there will be less to ridicule in Win7
post #31 of 204
Apple legal phone up to point out that the ads are based on out of date pricing. MS exec hypes up said phone call to 'prove' how effective the ads are and gain some brownie points at an MS love-fest. Ho hum.

Move along.
post #32 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACsucks View Post

Quote:
My sociology teacher once said "The masses are morons." Ads like this, and their success might be proof. I don't mean to sound hateful or anything, but the ads are pretty dorky.

Your Sociology teacher is correct and all of you are proof of it.

You tell people they are stupid but you don't know how to quote properly? I think that tells us the real truth. I had to correct it for my reply.

Also, how does a troll find this site?
post #33 of 204
Quote:

Professionals buy PCs because they offer vastly more choice in hardware and software...

Exactly which professionals are these? Accountants maybe?

Quote:

... and have an OS that doesn't treat you like an idiot and is highly productive...

I suspect you haven't ever used Mac OS X, and have been drinking altogether too much cool aid...

Quote:

... Virus problems, etc. are vastly overstated and other than being cool and part of the club, are the only talking point apple fans have to justify less choice, a clunky OS, and higher prices.

... and watching too many laptop hunter ads.
post #34 of 204
Quote:

You just don't understand how the power game is played.

The only way you can *force* a competitor to remove an ad is if you can prove it's a lie. If they then don't comply, they can be sued. By dropping the price and making the call they forced the advertisement off the air.

Far from being crybabies, it seems to me like Apple won that round
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #35 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Not trying to start a fight here either but you obviously haven't worked for a big enough company if this hasn't happened to you - there's a big, big, reason IT departments are so big, there are so many problems. I had a new video card driver pushed onto my machine and it made the primary application I use for my job (ANSYS so we're not talking about some tiny program here...) crash randomly (and quite often I might add) and then the IT dept had no idea how to get the old driver back and it took (no lie) 4 days to get the proper driver installed...

And it is a PC thing - I've never even heard of anyone having that kind of a problem with a Mac...

Well, you're right, I don't work for a big company. Last I checked we were at around 400. What I've observed though is the IT department takes care of all updates. An update to the antivirus software that rendered a system inoperable is unlikely here since they test the updates before pushing them. Normally, the only thing that gets updated to begin with is the definition list. Something major, like a version upgrade to the software, is definitely tested properly before being pushed out.

The video card thing is peculiar. I've definitely heard of things like that, but Microsoft update will only suggest video drivers, never push them as a critical update. If someone in the IT department at your work pushed that on you, it's their fault for not doing their job properly. It's odd they would push a video driver on you if you weren't having performance issues to begin with. (Oh and 4 days to remove the drivers? Great googly moogly man, no wonder they made such a bonehead mistake.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

So you advocate doing something stupid to get back at someone giving good advice?

Really? Is that what you got from my comment?
Quote:

I'm sorry but you're way off base here! I have heard countless examples of people at work having serious problems related to anti-virus software!

I don't think I am. I'm in more than an acceptable position to say that anti virus issues aren't common. I won't get into what I do, or my education, when I say it's rare for AV software to corrupt system files, you can trust me. I'm not saying it's impossible, just improbable. Especially in a professional work environment.
Quote:

Bad example! It's like saying I hate Ford because they didn't do a good job designing their engine which tends to stall and someone put the wrong additive into the gas that helps the problem. If Windows was designed properly you wouldn't need anti-viruses.

Not only does your counter-example show a lack of general understanding in auto mechanics, but also in Windows and operating systems in general.

See, you're the type who believes that OSX is truly impenetrable. I'm not gonna get into another long drawn out "security through obscurity" argument, but trust me, OSX has security problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdupuis77 View Post

The antivirus thing sounds perfectly believable to me. I've experienced it firsthand. I once had a PC a few years ago with Norton Antivirus running. One day it detected some virus infected files and quarantined them. I didn't notice anything wrong until I eventually rebooted and I could not even access Safe Mode. You know what files were quarantined, a.k.a. relocated to a "safe" sector of the hard drive? About 12 DLLs, the Registry and my MBR... Sh*t does happen lol. Needless to say, I'm a firm Mac believer now lol.

Ok, THAT example is totally believable. The virus writer knew your AV software would act that way, so they purposely wrote their virus to corrupt those files. Your definition list didn't contain the virus information, so your system wasn't immune. That sucks that happened to you. Attacking the master boot record is one of the oldest methods virus writers use. Now, what the guy in IT department would have done is restored those system files, and ran a scan from outside the drive. That's a nasty attack, but it's not something OSX is immune to either.
post #36 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACsucks View Post

Your Sociology teacher is correct and all of you are proof of it. Apples arent any better than PC's, maybe worse. It is proven that Apples have just as many vulnerabilities as PCs. But Apple make-up less than 5% of the market share for computers, so who do you think hackers and virus programmers are going to focus on? 5% of the market or 95% of the market? Yeah, maybe they dropped the prices of their laptops, but that still doesnt reduce the price of replacement parts, or the cost to get an Apple serviced. That is why a business will never use all Apples. Anyways, if you haven't figured it out, Apple over-charges for sub-par products, then tells everyone you have to have one to be cool, ie iPod, the airbook, or MacBook Pro. For every single one of those, there is a cheaper version with better features and functions from a different company. People need to wake-up and learn to think for themselves.

Bad first post :/

You think this argument hasn't been presented around here? I really hope nobody responds to you to debate that because this will go on forever.
post #37 of 204
Quote:

I think they've given like five actors "money" and thats for an ad?

Well, they showed 5 ads. We don't know how many people they gave money to but came up with footage they couldn't use.

Mary: "Well, I really want a Mac but Microsoft didn't give me quite enough money to get what I want. So, I'm going to buy this clunky, cheap laptop here at Best Buy and sell it on eBay. With the money I get for it, I can get the Mac I want for only a little bit of my own money."

Director: "Cut!"
post #38 of 204
I tend to doubt this story, if it is true expect an Apple lawyer to be on the street soon. Also, if this did happen, it would have been Apple head Legal Counsel making the call, and why did the COO not say who exactly he spoke with. Just to say it was some apple lawyer gives it no credibility.

Also, Jobs would not allow anyone to make this call and tell the competition they felt the ads were not accurate and to stop playing them. Apple never makes any public statements about strategy one way or another.

It just another marketing and PR attempt of MS to divert attention from the fact they are lost in the sea of competition.
post #39 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, they showed 5 ads. We don't know how many people they gave money to but came up with footage they couldn't use.

Mary: "Well, I really want a Mac but Microsoft didn't give me quite enough money to get what I want. So, I'm going to buy this clunky, cheap laptop here at Best Buy and sell it on eBay. With the money I get for it, I can get the Mac I want for only a little bit of my own money."

Director: "Cut!"

ROFL! That's one of the first things I thought of when I saw these commercials. "I'll sell this on ebay for half of what I bought it for and buy a big bag of weed" CUT!
post #40 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's chief operating officer claimed...
It was the greatest single phone call in the history that I've ever taken in business.

That's a sad statement for MS... must be really boring working over there.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Apple legal wanted 'Laptop Hunter' ads pulled