or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Apple legal wanted 'Laptop Hunter' ads pulled
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft says Apple legal wanted 'Laptop Hunter' ads pulled - Page 4

post #121 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Actually the entry-level MacBook Pro still only comes with 2GB.
Why does Apple keep on doing this?!

I'e often asked that myself...
post #122 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

A built PC doesn't come with Windows. The user needs to install it. Manufacturers like HP and Dell preload Windows before selling the machine. Common sense I know, but my point was if their ads are against PCs, why always talk about Windows? (I had misinterpreted your point to begin with so i went off on an idea without needing to lol.)

To be honest, I don't remember a commercial that mentioned third party nonsense software.

Also, people mention dell and hp from their popularity.

Are you talking about home built PCs? I was talking about PCs from all the PC manufacturers. I know that HP and Dell preload Windows, but they also preload lots of "other stuff".....I'm assuming it is done from some kind of image and that some poor schmuck isn't sitting down with each PC and installing the OS and "other stuff" manually.

The ad that I remember is called "Out of the Box" from 2006. The one with PC and Mac sitting in their boxes and Mac was ready to go, but PC first had to erase all the trial software.
post #123 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

First, I kind of think your wife bought the PC out of spite. Sounds like she's sick of listening to your rantings about mac vs pc and wanted to get a pc to be rebellious in some manner (lol )

Second, your story about the anti virus messing up the system sounds like horse poo. Sorry, not trying to start a fight here or anything, but if your IT guy had half a brain, updates like that would be controlled by his department, and if the update rendered the PC inoperable, they wouldn't push it out to the network.

Now, that said, if the update did cause an issue like that, being bitter towards the PC because of a third party's screw up is like me saying I hate ford because the supercharger I put on blew the engine up...

You really shouldn't speak about that which you know nothing about. Our Symantec AV server hoses machines all the time (especially Vista machines). Yes we test the updates, on more than one machine, yet somehow there is always someone who's machine takes a bad turn.

If you don't work in IT, don't act like you understand anything about it. Computers are a complicated mess of electronic parts & none of them behave quite the same.

By the way, though Symantec has it's share of issues but they are few & far between compared to the unexplainable wacko things that Windows updates bring.
post #124 of 204
It's the legal appartment, folks. They're paragraph riders. Of course they wanna stop a tv spot stating prices that aren't up to date. Not that it would destroy the point of the commercial, but... Microsoft could even stop the commercial at the point where they say the Mac's price and have a dude pop in and say "Hi, I'm from the legal appartment, and I just wanna say Apple has lowered the price to $1700. Ok... on with the commercial..." to drive the point even further home.

As long as the world is measured in money, these commercials will always win.
post #125 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Really, a service pack that removes the majority of the legacy code, takes the installed size on the Hard disk from 8 GB to somewhere around 1.5 GB, is fully 64-Bit, and adds over 150 features? Windows 7 is closer to being called Vista SP 3.

Yup, a "BIG" SERVICE PACK you're being charged for. Is W7 Vista's SP3?, so what. What's your pain?, isn't this things a way to express personal points of view, i'm not trying to convince anyone, just let my opinion out and on the way help anyone decide for their self, stop trolling plz.

Cheers
post #126 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Perhaps full of vulnerabilities compared to my refrigerator.

If it's running Embedded Linux, you bet.
post #127 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

You really shouldn't speak about that which you know nothing about. Our Symantec AV server hoses machines all the time (especially Vista machines). Yes we test the updates, on more than one machine, yet somehow there is always someone who's machine takes a bad turn.

If you don't work in IT, don't act like you understand anything about it. Computers are a complicated mess of electronic parts & none of them behave quite the same.

By the way, though Symantec has it's share of issues but they are few & far between compared to the unexplainable wacko things that Windows updates bring.

Well, you can take my word for it that not only do I know exactly what I'm talking about, and in fact do work in IT, but I do not witness the constant hosing of machines from the simple updates we push out.

If you don't understand computers, and you simply view them as a complicated mess of electronic parts, perhaps this isn't the field you should be in. One person here said their IT department took FOUR DAYS to figure out how to uninstall simple video drivers. These are the kind of "IT guys" I can see hosing machines through inexperience.

I'm not trying to make it sound like problems don't exist with PC's and Windows. I'm just a bit skeptical when someone tells a story like that on forums like these. Almost like a far stretch of the truth to continue the spread of misinformation about PC's running Windows.

In my experience here at work, I've seen more hardware issues than software issues. I guess we're just lucky.
post #128 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well, you can take my word for it that not only do I know exactly what I'm talking about, and in fact do work in IT, but I do not witness the constant hosing of machines from the simple updates we push out.

If you don't understand computers, and you simply view them as a complicated mess of electronic parts, perhaps this isn't the field you should be in. One person here said their IT department took FOUR DAYS to figure out how to uninstall simple video drivers. These are the kind of "IT guys" I can see hosing machines through inexperience.

I totally agree with you on this. However, I have seen where McAfee and Symantec have pushed out updates that cause major problems. These programs have gotten so complex and embedded that sometimes doing a full test is impossible. It's called Managed Risk. As an IT department, you understand that there is a risk when doing updates to machines and when those updates go out, people are on standby. Most of the time nothing happends, it comes and goes without a hitch. However, sometimes there's a problem and everyone understands, jumps in and fixes it.

Personally, I think this quote from this COO is a bunch of crap. It's WAY out of character of something Apple would do.

LanPhantom
post #129 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Can you name a specific statement that's now inaccurate that wasn't before? The only one I can think of that might be inaccurate is the one of the video editor lady. Otherwise, the price drops weren't enough to change the accuracy of the statements in other ads that I remember.

Dear Jeff
All of the MSFT ad's are grossly deceptive and misleading . In fact they reflect the gross and misleading way dell and the rest sell there boxes and the way msft joins them in f..ing people for over 17 yrs . And msft does not sell computers anyway .

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #130 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-GuySV View Post

If it's running Embedded Linux, you bet.

It is NOT running Embedded Linux, Mac OS X is based on the Mach kernal with certain parts of Free BSD, and NetBSD that were incorporated into NeXtstep.

Linux is based on the Linux Kernel, while there is similarities on both to UNIX, you will find no Linux in Mac OS X.
post #131 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-GuySV View Post

Yup, a "BIG" SERVICE PACK you're being charged for. Is W7 Vista's SP3?, so what. What's your pain?, isn't this things a way to express personal points of view, i'm not trying to convince anyone, just let my opinion out and on the way help anyone decide for their self, stop trolling plz.

Cheers

And I would ask the same of you.

Unless you have bought a Windows Computer within the last month, you will also be paying for the Windows 7 upgrade. If you buy a Mac now, you'll get Snow Leopard when available too.
post #132 of 204
People seem to forget you get what you pay for. I work in the IT field and I have to say PC's are infearior to MAC's. They may cost a bit more but I have no trouble with them. I was so tired of having the infamous Blue Screen of Death I totally went MAC.

Ask those people who bought cheap PC's next year and see if they are still happy. I'm betting they won't be.

D.
post #133 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACsucks View Post

My sociology teacher once said "The masses are morons." Ads like this, and their success might be proof. I don't mean to sound hateful or anything, but the ads are pretty dorky.

Your Sociology teacher is correct and all of you are proof of it. Apples arent any better than PC's, maybe worse. It is proven that Apples have just as many vulnerabilities as PCs. But Apple make-up less than 5% of the market share for computers, so who do you think hackers and virus programmers are going to focus on? 5% of the market or 95% of the market? Yeah, maybe they dropped the prices of their laptops, but that still doesnt reduce the price of replacement parts, or the cost to get an Apple serviced. That is why a business will never use all Apples. Anyways, if you haven't figured it out, Apple over-charges for sub-par products, then tells everyone you have to have one to be cool, ie iPod, the airbook, or MacBook Pro. For every single one of those, there is a cheaper version with better features and functions from a different company. People need to wake-up and learn to think for themselves.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/0...malware-crown/
post #134 of 204
APPLE IS CHEAPER

Can I count the ways that a 600 dollar product in any other venue would never ever ever ever get away with the shit that the wintel does?

Buy a pair of Levi jeans and they alway alway zip up. Buy a sony camcorder and they just film and record and simply work. On and on I can name products that simply work without add ons or spyware or crashing or 3rd party support being pulled,w/o 2 day cust service waits. Since msft has a monopoly they can make a crappy product and get away with it.

Turn on msft dell and you never know what will happen and for 99 percent of the public they have no idea why there p/c keeps crashing or filled with useless lite bloatware.

MSFT has a monopoly with windows. How stupid are some people here. If you truly think that apple and msft are even on the same planet quality wise then Go buy a dell and forget apple. GOODBYE GOODLIFE .


APPLE IS CHEAPER

Dollar for dollar my apple 15" MBP3.02GHz 500G 7200 rpm ALUM UNIBODY Computer is cheaper . much cheaper over all than any dell or wintel box/

Again to the deaf out there . APPLE IS CHEAPER



My 15" 3.02 z MBP will last an easy 5 years .
So with dozens of FREE whole working Software programs >>like the award winning itunes iphoto imovie ichat quicktime etc etc

And hey window boys all my software syncs with each other and all my software will carry forward for A LONG WHILE. ADD the finest OSX ever invented snow leopard. An apple buyer gets a Complete integrated software solution.
Also i plug in a device and almost it always is plug and play.

So an apple buyer saves hundreds and hundreds of dollars on the software front . WE also save hundreds and hundreds over a five yr time span on not having to buy virus protection ever year.
No one ever talks about that huh . Also apple buyers as a rule do not spent hour upon hour on costly tech support . The hassle alone having things not working sucks . How much is your wasted time worth ?

With a solid alum unibody enclosure as opposed to plastic. How much is that worth !!

With a glass screen that display the finest video ever, Star trek looks unreal good.

Dollar for dollar my 15inch MBP 3,02 GHz will last longer and hold its resale value than any dell wintel made . ANY

My OSX SNOW LEP is the finest os ever made. and its all getting better stronger and faster.
Welcome to openCL >GCS

There are some tech savvy guys who give me the hackintosh shit and how they can build a cray computer from taco chips. So to beat apple you resort to being a thief . Also Most of the public me included are not so tech Savvy. And they are always amazed at apples ease of use.

Dollar for dollar Apple is cheaper and much better in all ways.

So when people here comment on stupid tv ads about a 900 dollar box with no os inside and say apple is over price i get a little hot. One inch away is a White MB for 999 that creams the whole dell field .

no soup for you
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #135 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Are you talking about home built PCs? I was talking about PCs from all the PC manufacturers. I know that HP and Dell preload Windows, but they also preload lots of "other stuff".....I'm assuming it is done from some kind of image and that some poor schmuck isn't sitting down with each PC and installing the OS and "other stuff" manually.

The ad that I remember is called "Out of the Box" from 2006. The one with PC and Mac sitting in their boxes and Mac was ready to go, but PC first had to erase all the trial software.

Actually Dell (i am not sure about the others ,) can now be bought with ubuntu, and some servers can be ordered with linux
post #136 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well, you can take my word for it that not only do I know exactly what I'm talking about, and in fact do work in IT, but I do not witness the constant hosing of machines from the simple updates we push out.

If you don't understand computers, and you simply view them as a complicated mess of electronic parts, perhaps this isn't the field you should be in. One person here said their IT department took FOUR DAYS to figure out how to uninstall simple video drivers. These are the kind of "IT guys" I can see hosing machines through inexperience.

I'm not trying to make it sound like problems don't exist with PC's and Windows. I'm just a bit skeptical when someone tells a story like that on forums like these. Almost like a far stretch of the truth to continue the spread of misinformation about PC's running Windows.

In my experience here at work, I've seen more hardware issues than software issues. I guess we're just lucky.

Same here brother I rarely have problems, but when i do they are usually squarly between the chair and the keyboard doing there best to circumvent my security.
post #137 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post


Computers are a complicated mess of electronic parts & none of them behave quite the same.

.

Apple computer work just fine . And their insides are not a mess their beautiful to behold


Apple would put all you IT guys out of work.

Peace

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #138 of 204
Smells like a publicity stunt to me.
post #139 of 204
AppleInsider legals contacted me the other day about my postings and asked I stop posting.

Mountain Dew legals called NBC and asked them to not report on MD being bad for your health.

Apple contacted Me the other day about my ramblings.

Microsoft legal call me twice today about me exposing their vulnerabilities on the web with How-To's and videos. I told them to shut up.

Micheal Jackson called me right before he died, Said I could have everything.

NOW... Do you believe anything I said? Why should we believe them. Without proof, hell a phone log would work and YES they do keep them, it's BS trying to get Publicity in the news.

BULLSHIRT!
post #140 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

In this tough economy, regardless of how good a Mac is, if you need to put food on the table and are struggling to get by, I don't think a $1000+ Mac is such a wise decision when a PC for $500 could just as easily get you buy. Sure, it may break down, but let's not live in a fairy tale world here, people are hurting.

Now, I'm not saying that Apple isn't getting more sales than they have been in previous years; they are certainly still breaking records. But to believe that Macs are superior while ignoring that on average they cost more is the same as saying that a BMW is better because of the logo and not extra thousands you are paying for higher quality parts and service.

Bull That $500 pc is a complete waste of money flushed down the drain to people you say are so needy. If they have no money then don't buy a computer
Buy milk .

That person hurting fr money could buy a great used G4 computer very cheap and still get a great working computer so stop the bullshit tears .

They could even buy an acer to surf the net for 300 .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #141 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

... One person here said their IT department took FOUR DAYS to figure out how to uninstall simple video drivers. These are the kind of "IT guys" I can see hosing machines through inexperience. ....

I can sure confirm this part at least.

I also work in IT and in all honesty I think it's pretty Mickey Mouse around my workplace and I would say my skill level is on the fairly low end of things, but ...

even I know that anyone who takes four days to re-install drivers doesn't know what the heck they are doing. The only alternative explanation is that they are talking about some kind of management failure rather than the quality of the IT support, but then these guys were also stupid enough to roll out the card in the first place without proper testing.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #142 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Bull That $500 pc is a complete waste of money flushed down the drain to people you say are so needy. If they have no money then don't buy a computer
Buy milk .

That person hurting fr money could buy a great used G4 computer very cheap and still get a great working computer so stop the bullshit tears .

They could even buy an acer to surf the net for 300 .

Would that Acer have windows on it
post #143 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

First, I kind of think your wife bought the PC out of spite. Sounds like she's sick of listening to your rantings about mac vs pc and wanted to get a pc to be rebellious in some manner (lol )

Second, your story about the anti virus messing up the system sounds like horse poo. Sorry, not trying to start a fight here or anything, but if your IT guy had half a brain, updates like that would be controlled by his department, and if the update rendered the PC inoperable, they wouldn't push it out to the network.

Now, that said, if the update did cause an issue like that, being bitter towards the PC because of a third party's screw up is like me saying I hate ford because the supercharger I put on blew the engine up...

Wow. You obviously have not spent much time working in an IT controlled, corporate environment.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Reply
post #144 of 204
Even if I were offered a PC for FREE, with a fully updatable working install of OS X (however it got there), I STILL wouldn't take it.

People assume (only a minority on these forums, however) that Apple's market is wailing and suffering under the burden of their prices.

They aren't. THEY'RE BUYING. And they keep on buying. people assume because THEY can't afford one or it doesn't fit their budget, the same goes for everyone else. WRONG. Look at Apple's numbers. Mac sales are holding, and increasing. There's no problem. Consumers vote with their wallet, and those Macbooks and Macbook pros are hot items. Apple is experiencing the smallest contraction in computer sales in the entire industry, and not by accident. Apple has a virtual lock on the Premium end of the market, and even consumers from the lower end of the pyramid are buying in.
post #145 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinchris View Post

Would that Acer have windows on it

I don't care i just want those poor people to surf .
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #146 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Even if I were offered a PC for FREE, with a fully updatable working install of OS X (however it got there), I STILL wouldn't take it.

People assume (only a minority on these forums, however) that Apple's market is wailing and suffering under the burden of their prices.

They aren't. THEY'RE BUYING. And they keep on buying. people assume because THEY can't afford one or it doesn't fit their budget, the same goes for everyone else. WRONG. Look at Apple's numbers. Mac sales are holding, and increasing. There's no problem. Consumers vote with their wallet, and those Macbooks and Macbook pros are hot items. Apple is experiencing the smallest contraction in computer sales in the entire industry, and not by accident. Apple has a virtual lock on the Premium end of the market, and even consumers from the lower end of the pyramid are buying in.



About that premium lock, does Apple have a true gaming system. Premuim systems these days can hadle 30 GB of RAM and more as well as several GB of video memory and cost $10,000 or more noone has a lock on that.
post #147 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

I don't care i just want those poor people to surf .

Thats great, a good come back
post #148 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

AppleInsider legals contacted me the other day about my postings and asked I stop posting.

Mountain Dew legals called NBC and asked them to not report on MD being bad for your health.

Apple contacted Me the other day about my ramblings.

Microsoft legal call me twice today about me exposing their vulnerabilities on the web with How-To's and videos. I told them to shut up.

Micheal Jackson called me right before he died, Said I could have everything.

NOW... Do you believe anything I said? Why should we believe them. Without proof, hell a phone log would work and YES they do keep them, it's BS trying to get Publicity in the news.

BULLSHIRT!

You forgot to interject "true story" into your recounting. If you want to be
as believable as the Microsoft COO, you must do that.
post #149 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

It is NOT running Embedded Linux, Mac OS X is based on the Mach kernal with certain parts of Free BSD, and NetBSD that were incorporated into NeXtstep.

Linux is based on the Linux Kernel, while there is similarities on both to UNIX, you will find no Linux in Mac OS X.

I meant your fridge... "sport"
post #150 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

And I would ask the same of you.

Unless you have bought a Windows Computer within the last month, you will also be paying for the Windows 7 upgrade. If you buy a Mac now, you'll get Snow Leopard when available too.

Oh boy!, seems your one of "that" kind of person who can't stand criticism. I'm not defending any OS, as a matter of a fact, I OWN a macbook with leopard and administer an OSX Server, I run several servers and workstations with Debian and OpenSUSE at work, and happens that i also run Several Windows Versions on Servers and Workstations also at work and including Windows 7 for personal effects. When any computer available my little 12 year old boy takes it and manages to do what most people do nowadays Internet, Email, Social Networking, Documents, and multimedia. So of it works for you GREAT.

IT GUY
CISSP, CCNP, LPIC-II, MCITP, MCTS, CWNA, ACSA (10.5)
post #151 of 204
Well. I don't feel sorry for Apple if these adverts from M$ are hurting.

Apple jacked UK prices up.

They mis-stepped on the Macbook.

They took a bloody nose on sales growth.

They had to back peddle the macbook to the Macbook Pro...to get things back on track re price cut from the previous macbook jack and put back firewire...

Very arrogant of them to jack prices up like they did in worst recession since...

They can dish it with the 'I'm a Mac'...but can they take it?

Their desktop line kinda sucks.

Mac Pro too expensive to get quad core performance.
iMac nice but limited laptop on a stand.
Mac Mini. Well. Grossly inflated price for a computer that has no k/b, mouse, Screen...

Laptops look good again...almost but the Macbook white could stand being a hundred or so cheaper.

But even as is. Apple aren't reaching a raft of UK buyers who think they are too expensive. M$ pounding Apple on this? Far from a bad thing...indirectly? A good thing. If you're an Apple customer to be.

IF Apple are serious they will have to respond to that 'perception' of expensive and lower prices.

It's not over yet.

Apple have had this coming a for a while now.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #152 of 204
People that let television ads influence their buying decisions deserve PC's with Microsoft's Windows.
post #153 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

People that let television ads influence their buying decisions deserve PC's with Microsoft's Windows.

Unless it is the Mac vs PC ad, they they are smart to let an ad influence their buying decision.
post #154 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnchi View Post

People seem to forget you get what you pay for. I work in the IT field and I have to say PC's are infearior to MAC's. They may cost a bit more but I have no trouble with them. I was so tired of having the infamous Blue Screen of Death I totally went MAC.

Ask those people who bought cheap PC's next year and see if they are still happy. I'm betting they won't be.

D.

It would be a tough bet to win. So many people bought PC's, they can't all be unhappy. I bought a Macbook and a Acer laptop. I can say I am happy with both computers, they both help me get stuff done. For some of us, it's not an either/or thing.
post #155 of 204
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_235680.html

Interesting. Check the poll at the end.
post #156 of 204
Apple can give criticism, but apparently can't take it. Apple has been ridiculing PC's for years with their "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads. Now they can't take it when PC's try to portray them as snobbish and overpriced? Big deal. Let it go.
post #157 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_235680.html

Interesting. Check the poll at the end.

You thought so? Why?
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #158 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Well apple has some nerve if this is true . They lie in their Im a mac and Im a pc ads also.

That is why i dont think this is true. Why would apple call up Microsoft and ask for the ads to be taken down when they know that they lie in their ads also.

Leonard: They are advertising hardware because Apples ads advertise as Microsoft selling the hardware. If this wasnt the case then the ads wouldnt be targeted just to Microsoft. Just the fact they bash microsoft but call him a pc is doing that. Linux, and other free operating systems run on PC's and I dont see apple bashing them. So microsoft is just playing the same game that apple is.

post #159 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Like the one that says that windows comes with a bunch of 3rd party crud ware.

Like the one that says that PCs comes with a bunch of 3rd party crud ware.

Quote:
Also what about the fact they portray microsoft as the hardware maker in
those ads?

Also what about the fact they portray don't microsoft as the hardware maker.

If you are so keen on facts... when are you going to get one right?
post #160 of 204
Look, advertising is supposed to have a little hyperbole, but I'm with Apple on this one:
These ads are BS!!!

1. As Apple Insider points out: PRICE DROPS! So they've got the facts dead wrong.

2. Sticker price focus: as if that were all it cost to own a computer! Anyone wanna use Windows without antivirus software? Let's compare Nero's Suite cost v. iLife. Don't get me wrong, Microsoft does occasionally get something right - I prefer Office (Microsoft Office 2008 Mac costs $129.99 at the moment), but for most people, iWork will do all one needs done (working natively with Excel, Powerpoint and Word documents). iWork is $40 w/ purchase of a new Mac, and Office 2007 Home & Student for Windows ranges between $100 and $150 depending on the sale that week. There's a heck of a lot more to this! Anyone wanna compare Apple Care to anyone else's support?

3. Unfair comparisons. I remember one ad they had an HP beat out a MacBook - so I looked up that HP to find it had an 800MHz FSB and DDR2-800 RAM compared to the MacBook's 1066MHz FSB and DDR3-1066 RAM. But what does the ad focus on? They both had the same processor and the HP had 4GB of RAM vs. the MacBook's 2GB. WHAT THE HECK!?

Seriously I'd choose Leopard with 2GB of DDR3-1066 RAM over RAM-hungry Vista with 4GB of DDR2-800 RAM (an entire generation behind) any day! Never mind how cheap RAM is today!!!

Bah.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Apple legal wanted 'Laptop Hunter' ads pulled