or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Office 2008 for Mac SP2 improves speed and stability

Office 2008 for Mac SP2 improves speed and stability - Page 2

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Amazing people actually bought Office 2008 when there was really nothing wrong with Office 2004, even on an Intel Mac. Office 2004 in Rosetta opens faster than Pages '09, which is native on Intel. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that way.

I got 2008 because it has better Exchange support (although it's still not very good). I very rarely use any of the other products. When iWork doesn't suffice (which is very rare), I use NeoOffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Pages is trash compared to Word. Since you haven't used either in a long time, you don't know what you are talking about. Pages is slower than Word, and yes, it has half the features, so it is worthless in every way possible.

Perhaps not, but I do. I've used both (all three if you count the Windows versions), a lot. You can love Word all you want, but I instantly took to Pages and find it far more capable for page layouts. As for half the features, who cares when 90% of the features in Word aren't used by 90% of people. There are only two things missing from Pages that Word has that I miss: mail-merge to email and document forms (which is handled very poorly on the Mac version anyway). For those I use Word. For everything else I use Pages.

Keynote blows PowerPoint away in nearly every way imaginable. The only thing I can think of that's missing from Keynote is the ability for embedded charts to update themselves. Otherwise, creating presentations takes far longer in PowerPoint due to the need to open up multiple dialogs for transitions, where everything can be handled more easily on Keynote with its inspector.

Numbers creates much more attractive looking charts, but I do admit to it being very slow, particularly in how it handles large spreadsheets (and by large, I mean anything over about 100 rows). Apple *really* needs to tackle performance before it can be a serious competitor. It also lacks database connectivity to have its charts update automatically.
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs_since_1984 View Post

I am not waiting for that to happen : I am progressively migrating from Office 2004 to OpenOffice. Granted, the appearance is less nice, but the files it creates are 50-75 % smaller, the app virtually never crashes, it allows me to do everything I did in Word and Excel (I never used macros) and the final printed result is identical.

Instead of creating YAWP (Yet Another Word Processor), Apple should work with the OO community and bring its ability to create nice interfaces and optimize the port of OO on the Mac. Apple has nothing to lose doing this (iWork is certainly not the reason Apple made so much money this year) and everything to gain : seeing OO gaining market share would weaken Microsoft pull towards its closed (and enclosing) Windows platform. Ensuring the best performance on the Mac would mean a pleasant experience for the Mac users at the same time knowing that they exchange all their files freely with everybody else.

Pages & Numbers are a different approach to handling documents and spreadsheets. Keynote is a better solution than PowerPoint for many people. Openoffice works fine on the Mac as it is. Why would Apple be curtailed by the legacy mindset of a tool that mimics Microsoft office except for the document format? It is a community driven effort, let it remain so. One thing Apple can do is to ensure that the document formats are published and provide full support for open office documents.

Innovation is required for all of the applications you find in today's office suites. If people stopped re-inventing text editors, you wouldn't have TextMate or any of the other successful and relatively new text editors.

Talking about YAWP, have you tried IBM Lotus Symphony? It is based on the OO core code base and it is built on top of Eclipse (the popular developer IDE). Lacks some of the nice features of OO, but the UI is much better and polished.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #43 of 52
[QUOTE=bsenka;1451599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

I hate anything MS, so I was really interested in Open Office. Unfortunately, it crashed more than any OS X application I've ever seen. Nine times out of ten, it locked up right on launch.

IMHO, NeoOffice works better than Open Office.
ADS
ADS
post #44 of 52
Just installed the update. I'm unsure what people's expectations of "snappy load time"s are but just timed Word and it must have taken 20 seconds from clicking the icon to opening up. Word on my old PC at work launches in about 5 seconds? So much for progress.
post #45 of 52
Is there any report of improvements using Entourage with Exchange Server?
post #46 of 52
1) Installed SP2.
2) Opened three files in Word.
3) Word mixed the text and figures of the third file with the other two. And saved it.
4) <sigh>
5) Check Mozy backup.
6) Realize Mozy's backup for some reason didn't back up the file for the past few months even though daily/weekly backups were made.
7) Thank the Lord that Apple makes Timemachine and restored file.

Well, at least the SP2 makes Word open and scroll faster.
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

Is there any report of improvements using Entourage with Exchange Server?

What sort of improvements were you looking for? I've not experienced any reliability issues myself. It would be great if they finally offered more than limited, rudimentary HTML formatting, but alas nothing has changed there...
post #48 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by djames42 View Post

What sort of improvements were you looking for? I've not experienced any reliability issues myself. It would be great if they finally offered more than limited, rudimentary HTML formatting, but alas nothing has changed there...

It's hard to tell whether the problems we've experienced at my company are the fault of Entourage or with our IT department's implementation of Exchange Server, but Entourage users have experienced lost or delayed emails that Outlook users don't experience (they have other problems).
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

I'm still sticking with iWork. When I share documents with others, I send PDFs.

Two things keeping me from iWork
  1. No RTL support
  2. No ODT support

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #50 of 52
Be careful with this update if you use a site-licensed version of Office.

My installation came from a University site-licence CD, and since applying SP2 I can no longer run any of my office apps.

I just get a pop-up message saying "Office for Mac has determined that your product key is not valid. To use Office for Mac, you must enter a valid product key."

The install disc I used had they key pre-filled, and I don't have it written down anywhere. Now I need to wait for tech services to get back to me, but they'll just have the same key, unless Microsoft has sent a new one.

Pain in the arse!
post #51 of 52
Bah.

Microsoft dang you! I want a messenger that will let me do video chats with other Windows Live users.

* And no guys, there's no chance I'll get the other people to use a different messaging application.
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

It's hard to tell whether the problems we've experienced at my company are the fault of Entourage or with our IT department's implementation of Exchange Server, but Entourage users have experienced lost or delayed emails that Outlook users don't experience (they have other problems).

FWIW, I've never experienced that myself, not with Entourage 2004 or 2008. My messages don't always come in instantaneously the way they do in Outlook (although the lag is usually no more than a minute or two at most), but that's a symptom of Entourage's Exchange connectivity.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Office 2008 for Mac SP2 improves speed and stability