or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple retail stores attract new Mac buyers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple retail stores attract new Mac buyers

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Apple's 254 retail locations managed to sell 492,000 Macs to 38.6 million store visitors during the June quarter, with half of those sales going to customers who had never before owned a Mac.

Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said the retail locations totaled $1.5 billion in revenue during the third quarter, topping last year's $1.45 billion in the same period. But that increased profit was buoyed by new retail locations, as the $5.9 million average revenue per store (based on an average 254 stores) was down from $6.8 million a year prior.

The nearly half-million Macs sold at retail locations was 16,000 more than the 476,000 consumers bought in Q3 2008.

With half of all new Mac purchases coming from customers who never owned a Mac before, Apple's One to One program might play a large role for those consumers. This past quarter, the "new and improved" One to One Program launched. The new program resulted in a record 667,000 personal training sessions, designed to help people become acquainted with their new Mac.

Apple opened six new stores during the June quarter, and now has 258 total retail locations. The company expects to open a total of 25 stores during 2009 -- including the first Apple Store in France, set to debut in Paris this holiday.

Twenty-seven stores were also remodeled, and the company expects to have a total of 100 renovations done by the end of the year.

The 38.6 million Apple Store visitors for Q3 was a 22 percent increase over the same period one year prior, when 31.7 million browsed the company's retail locations.
post #2 of 28
No matter how you cut it, these figure are tremendously impressive given the current economic slaughter.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #3 of 28
apple keeps on trucking on and on
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #4 of 28
Was just in the Regents Street store in London and it was pretty busy, not far off how busy it is around Christmas. I did notice that the One 2 One tables were popular - with 5 people having sessions, which is many more than I've noticed in the past.
post #5 of 28
Apple stores are a fun place to shop and its products are cool- it's a magic formula.
FIfth Ave store is a zoo everyday- mobbed. SoHo, my personal favorite, is always busy too.
post #6 of 28
I have both machines and will gladly sell my Win-PC at anytime. My MBP is the laptop I go to often as it just works better.

For the newbies to the Mac, welcome. For those who are thinking, come on in, the water is fine. :-)
post #7 of 28
My older brother (an engineer and typically quite conservative) shocked me a few weeks ago buy going out and buying his first Mac after 20+ years of using PC's. I'm not sure why he switched... but he's in heaven. He LOVES it. He can't stop raving about iPhoto and iMovie... and how easy everything is to use. Funny. He calls me up just to tell me about something new he's discovered. He's like a kid with a new toy. And he's in his 40's. He's got kids and takes a ton of photos and movies and such... so he's just loving the lifestyle apps.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Was just in the Regents Street store in London and it was pretty busy, not far off how busy it is around Christmas. I did notice that the One 2 One tables were popular - with 5 people having sessions, which is many more than I've noticed in the past.

That's where we bought our daughter her new 3Gs. I was surprised at how big that store really is. And while it wasn't stuffed with people in the afternoon, there must have been well over a hundred customers in the place.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No matter how you cut it, these figure are tremendously impressive given the current economic slaughter.

Impressive to the point of being unbelievable. I drove by the Apple Store in Walnut Creek,CA
today(10:15 a.m.), intending to stop. It is in an area of several square blocks of retail shops.
That whole part of town was deserted except for the Apple Store. There was a line of people,
I guess waiting for iPhones, and the whole place was packed. Unreal.
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple stores are a fun place to shop and its products are cool- it's a magic formula.
FIfth Ave store is a zoo everyday- mobbed. SoHo, my personal favorite, is always busy too.

Fifth Avenue is tough. SoHo is too. The manager there told me that while their numbers were off for a while after 5th opened up, they've been higher than ever recently.

The store in the old meatpacking district on 14th street is nice. Also busy, and fairly big. That's where we bought our three phones. The area is very nice. Cobblestone old streets, new restaurants along with the old ones. Shopping. I remember that area from my H.S days in the mid '60's; not so nice.
post #11 of 28
No wonder MS wants to come along for the ride. All I can say however, is 'eat your hear out', SB.
post #12 of 28
Hmm, lets see...

Using the stats mentioned, it would mean that 1 in 78.5 people
entering an apple store would purchase a Mac...

OR 1,937 Macs sold per store... or 21.5 per day, per store

Pretty darn good for a per-store basis. Not sure of the
visitor-to-buyer ratio as there is no other stats to compare.

However, based on big box electronics store traffic I observe near
where I work, I'd say that even Best Buy doesn't move that much.
post #13 of 28
Another Industry gets "schooled" by Apple-think retail!

Along with the computer industry, software industry, music industry, movie industry, telecom industry...the list goes on and on.

And as a side note: Thank goodness Toyota and Honda make cars...could you imagine driving a Pinto or a Maverick around? That would like using Vista!
post #14 of 28
I dropped into the Sherway Apple Store (just outside Toronto) on a weekday (of all times), Wednesday, around 2pm.

It was packed, and there was a pretty substantial line-up to the cash register. On a Wednesday at 2! And this isn't the first time I've seen this during a non-holiday season.

Maybe back-to-school shopping has already started, though. That might be an explanation.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahlBryn View Post

Hmm, lets see...

Using the stats mentioned, it would mean that 1 in 78.5 people
entering an apple store would purchase a Mac...

OR 1,937 Macs sold per store... or 21.5 per day, per store

Pretty darn good for a per-store basis. Not sure of the
visitor-to-buyer ratio as there is no other stats to compare.

However, based on big box electronics store traffic I observe near
where I work, I'd say that even Best Buy doesn't move that much.

How do you get 21.5/day?
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple stores are a fun place to shop and its products are cool- it's a magic formula.
FIfth Ave store is a zoo everyday- mobbed. SoHo, my personal favorite, is always busy too.

Have you been to the west 14th street location. ??

the soho chicks are real stuck up snobs but at the 13 street one.s there so nice and ,,,,


any way it may be the best store in the world for cool stuff going on . 3 Floors of apple
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Fifth Avenue is tough. SoHo is too. The manager there told me that while their numbers were off for a while after 5th opened up, they've been higher than ever recently.

The store in the old meatpacking district on 14th street is nice. Also busy, and fairly big. That's where we bought our three phones. The area is very nice. Cobblestone old streets, new restaurants along with the old ones. Shopping. I remember that area from my H.S days in the mid '60's; not so nice.

Now the newly opened High Line cuts right next to that Apple store. I have to check both soon. I wasn't to impressed with the store originally- didn't like the layout.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Have you been to the west 14th street location. ??

the soho chicks are real stuck up snobs but at the 13 street one.s there so nice and ,,,,


any way it may be the best store in the world for cool stuff going on . 3 Floors of apple

Aren't they just drag queens left over from the meatpacking hooker days?
Or Jersey girls on their way home from a Sex on the City night on the town? or both?
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now the newly opened High Line cuts right next to that Apple store. I have to check both soon. I wasn't to impressed with the store originally- didn't like the layout.

The layout seems ok. But the area right around is very nice in good weather.

I don't know about the women though, my wife won't let me go on dates.
post #20 of 28
nm
These resluts are for the quarter, not the year.
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple stores are a fun place to shop and its products are cool- it's a magic formula.
FIfth Ave store is a zoo everyday- mobbed. SoHo, my personal favorite, is always busy too.

I ended up wandering into the Glass Cube on Fifth Avenue at like 3:00 am, and it was not only actually crowded, the Genius bar was fully up and running people were carrying out purchases in droves, and I'm talking MacPros, 13" Macbooks, etc., i.e., significant purchases, in a steady stream.

In this economy (and knowing a lot of small business types) the experience was almost surreal. Other tech companies can only eat their hearts out.......

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #22 of 28
I'm seeing big carpenter ants out of the corner of my eye marching across my keyboard, when I look they disappear...

yes im drunk again, but feeling fine. cheap vacation this year, I;m typing pretty good too...

no mac for me this year... no 15 inch not glary, anti-reflective...

did I mention I had to rebuild my whole hard drive today, yep, turns out a couple of years ago I got pawned, on a mac no less.. watch them pron sites...my ewife she warns me,, but i gotta have me lovelies..

fj too hot to go outsideeeeee darn yo u al gore lying dak of shjotQ!!!

heh did I make you laugh, I hoper so . good night , , ) oh hyrh m
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #23 of 28
hey automatic smilies faces. cooll did nd'd knwo rtthat.. no .

bgyeee
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
The danger is that we sleepwalk into a world where cabals of corporations control not only the mainstream devices and the software on them, but also the entire ecosystem of online services around...
Reply
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Fifth Avenue is tough. SoHo is too. The manager there told me that while their numbers were off for a while after 5th opened up, they've been higher than ever recently.

What numbers? Fifth Avenue is a flagship store. It exists to show the brand name and products to millions of people per month in that insanely-high traffic zone.

It makes zero difference if that store makes money or not. Why the manager there would care is beyond me, their store's purpose is different than every other Apple store in the country.
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Aren't they just drag queens left over from the meatpacking hooker days?
Or Jersey girls on their way home from a Sex on the City night on the town? or both?


WOW !!! valium would helped that crash .....

and the colored girls go... do da do .. do da do da do
>>>>>>>>
PART TWO OF THE BIG APPLE APPLE STORE WARS .[/I]


THE Soho store is weird where the genius bar guys are real smart and the clients go there like school learning . They tend to wear tight jeans and loose t's . They rarely meet and pick up other apple fans and have afternoon sex .

The fifth ave store is filled with apple cust who know more about apple than any one one .They also have all the over sea on vac buyers who avoid the vat tax . its a 155 hr week and the 5th ave store never stop's selling the every single item in the store. iT ALL SELLS . its not as warm as soho. its a bit corp. cold . .

NOW THE LITTLE 12TH STREET STORE is on fire

Is a store where everyone is clueless about every thing . they buy they sell they chit chat and they mix.the apple peeps and the far west side crazies have no problem meeting and having delightful tuesday afternoon sex.
it is the best store in the world . YOU can buy a MBP 15'3.02GHz and have made within 49 minutes a hudson river dvd movie.

The staten island store is filled with pimple faced wanna be newbie no nothing dolts . most ,some are cool .. my 8 yrs old knows more than some their ..

Firewire /matte screens /and discs will be one day soon gone .MBA will be the new MBP

IPOD NANO will one day have also be a simple
phone . No wifi/internet .JUST phone /music movie playback .

mactripper was drunk and posted stupid stuff since apple will have anti glare mac tripper has no reason to bitch .

what's my excuse ??


9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What numbers? Fifth Avenue is a flagship store. It exists to show the brand name and products to millions of people per month in that insanely-high traffic zone.

It makes zero difference if that store makes money or not. Why the manager there would care is beyond me, their store's purpose is different than every other Apple store in the country.

Please don't make stuff up .

The fifth ave store out sells the next 5 combined .

It has a ton of over seas clients who too avoid vat and high eurotrash taxes buy there apple stuff there. And they but 3 or 8 MBP 's at a time. The selling is calm, steady AND STRONG MONEY wise
and many many sales have multiples of said product being sold . The flagship store is in the heart of the greatest city the world has ever known. Apple fans from around the world flock there and pay homage ,
And they also spend . Go there at 3 am on a rainy monday night .

Don't push me to reveal the sales numbers .They are not to be believed.

9
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What numbers? Fifth Avenue is a flagship store. It exists to show the brand name and products to millions of people per month in that insanely-high traffic zone.

It makes zero difference if that store makes money or not. Why the manager there would care is beyond me, their store's purpose is different than every other Apple store in the country.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here.

I know the manager of the SoHo store.

What gave you the impression that I said one of these stores isn't making money?

You do know that in the last fiscal year, the 5th Ave store sold over $400 million in product, and the Soho store over $120 million? Both stores made plenty of profit.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Impressive to the point of being unbelievable. I drove by the Apple Store in Walnut Creek,CA
today(10:15 a.m.), intending to stop. It is in an area of several square blocks of retail shops.
That whole part of town was deserted except for the Apple Store. There was a line of people,
I guess waiting for iPhones, and the whole place was packed. Unreal.

I've seen the exact same scenario in my town.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple retail stores attract new Mac buyers