or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut upgrades boast more than 100 new features

Final Cut upgrades boast more than 100 new features - Page 3

post #81 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally007 View Post

By the time this new FCS ships Snow Leopard is going to be days away. FCS delivery says 2-6 weeks. Snow leopard is 8 weeks away.

Nope. I ordered mine yesterday morning and it's slated for delivery next week.

Quote:

No way Grand Central and 64-bit is small update away. These things take years to rewrite to be 64 bit. Many people in the industry were pretty certain Apple was busy doing just that when they didnt release anything last year.

They can't release Grand Central tech if there's no OS out yet. So what's to say it's not waiting in the wings? Early leaks from the SL betas are clear that multiple CPU's are heavily optimised in ALL SL apps - and Apple knows that the real showcase for these performance gains will be its Pro apps. But they simply can't show that until SL is out. Why they chose to release a non-SL version of the app first is a little perplexing, but divining the Applethink has always been nigh on impossible. I think you take an unrealistically pessimistic view of things.
post #82 of 120
[QUOTE=maxplanar;1453629]Nope. I ordered mine yesterday morning and it's slated for delivery next week.

yes it is shipping already -ordered yesterday down to receive mine today- looks like a practical/ useful update. still room for improvement but it has stuff that it has been lacking for ages.
post #83 of 120
[QUOTE=Graeme;1453700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxplanar View Post

Nope. I ordered mine yesterday morning and it's slated for delivery next week.

yes it is shipping already -ordered yesterday down to receive mine today- looks like a practical/ useful update. still room for improvement but it has stuff that it has been lacking for ages.

Ok Tampa Apple Store has it in stock and wife is on her way to pick up now. What all does it come with in the box? Can I do a clean install or do I need FCS2 installed to upgrade? Im hoping it comes with the 1000 page manual as I lost my last one in the move.

Anyone have any idea?
post #84 of 120
Quote:

here's a quote from article you linked

" (Our goal is to ship a 64-bit Mac version with Photoshop CS5, "

nobody needs Fireworks , dreamweaver or go live to be 64bit. If PS and AE make it to 64bit , everyone is gonna be happy camper.

Read the blog. He is clear that this is not doable. His replies are embedded in square brackets [like this] in each individual comment. Well worth the read. (And props to him for being so straight-up about it to Ps users, IMO.)

The synopsis is that Ps was a Carbon app, and Carbon is (and only ever will be) 32-bit because Apple killed the 64-bit version when Leopard rolled out. According to Apple, Cocoa is the only path to 64-bit OS X apps. The only reason that Lr is 64-bit is that they originally wrote it from the ground up as a Cocoa app, not having any existing Carbon code that would need to be updated.

The odd thing is that Apple have boxed themselves into the same kind of corner with this, because many of their own apps (including FCP) are Carbon-based. So they have the same amount of pain moving their pro apps to 64-bit that Adobe does.

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Google Maps: ("Directions may be inaccurate, incomplete, dangerous, or prohibited.")

post #85 of 120
[QUOTE=pmasters8941;1453766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

Ok Tampa Apple Store has it in stock and wife is on her way to pick up now. What all does it come with in the box? Can I do a clean install or do I need FCS2 installed to upgrade? Im hoping it comes with the 1000 page manual as I lost my last one in the move.

Anyone have any idea?

I'm installing the upgrade over FCS 2.

I've just done a fresh install of 10.5 and FCS 2 - everything up to date and am working on a clone of this so i can keep working in FCS 2 as my main set up for the next few months.

I assume you can install without FCS 2 on your system as long as you own a copy and have the serial number to hand for the FCS2. that was the case with the FCS 2 update.
post #86 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmasters8941 View Post

Anyone have any idea?

I don't know about a paper manual. I would assume so, but Apple has been known to drop their paper manuals for PDFs.

You should already have the manual in PDF form on your computer, unless you specifically deleted it. It should be something like "Manual" under "Help". Your upgrade should have a PDF manual too.
post #87 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know about a paper manual. I would assume so, but Apple has been known to drop their paper manuals for PDFs.

You should already have the manual in PDF form on your computer, unless you specifically deleted it. It should be something like "Manual" under "Help". Your upgrade should have a PDF manual too.

The 'upgrade' comes in small box like all there software comes in these days- just 3x depth of their standard small box- no big manuals
1x small 170 page starter manual
7 disks of software- thats about it
post #88 of 120
Quote:

The 'upgrade' comes in small box like all there software comes in these days- just 3x depth of their standard small box- no big manuals
1x small 170 page starter manual
7 disks of software- thats about it

Thats what I was afraid of. I loved the FCS2 print manual. It was nice to be able to quickly reference and read it as I followed along. Oh well. Ill focus on the positive in that shortly Ill have it in my hands and ready to rock my skills out a little bit more.
post #89 of 120
Quote:

Thats what I was afraid of. I loved the FCS2 print manual. It was nice to be able to quickly reference and read it as I followed along. Oh well. Ill focus on the positive in that shortly Ill have it in my hands and ready to rock my skills out a little bit more.

i know what you mean about the manual- shame.

let me know how you get on- my install is going about 1.5hr in and pro another 2 to go.
prob faster as fresh install.
Graeme
post #90 of 120
Quote:

By the time this new FCS ships Snow Leopard is going to be days away. FCS delivery says 2-6 weeks. Snow leopard is 8 weeks away.

My order info from Apple. Shipping by FedEx.

Shipment Date:
Jul 23, 2009

Delivers by:
Jul 27, 2009
post #91 of 120
Support for Blu-ray and HD DVD in FCS:

H.264 multi-pass encoding for Blu-ray discs and files
Support for red laser burning of AVCHD discs for playback in compatible Blu-ray players
HD DVD encoding for DVD Studio Pro authoring

Batch templates with job actions for automating workflows from encoding to delivery, including:
Create DVD
Create Blu-ray Disc

All QuickTime supported codecs — encoded to MPEG-2 (SD or HD DVD)
H.264 and HDV (supported natively in HD DVD projects)

Author HD DVDs using SD and HD assets
HVDVD_TS to hard drive

Blu-ray-specific requirements
For burning Blu-ray discs: a Blu-ray recorder

I guess the HD DVD stuff was already in process before the format was sunk. Too bad since I have an HD DVD player!

So it looks like you can encode for Blu-ray. Add Toast 10 and a drive and you are good to go.

From a new Millimeter article. Better Blu-ray support then I realized:

Blu-ray support
YouTube, MobileMe, and Apple TV are nice, but the feature that many HD producers have been clamoring for is Blu-ray support, which Apple also added to the suite. Here, Apple focused on the fast and easy production of simple projects such as the encoding of dailies and other videos for client approval, or simple tradeshow or business demos. Full-featured authoring was not the focus. Operationally, you insert chapter markers on the timeline as before, and then choose Blu-ray from the Share menu.

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/de...23/index2.html
post #92 of 120
Good lord, this is one of the tiniest boxes I have ever seen for a pro app ever. At least I got it. Now time to format and reinstall and then on to the upgrade
post #93 of 120
I wonder why it has the name of Final Cut Studio and not Final Cut Studio 3. Anyone hear why?
post #94 of 120
Quote:

Good lord, this is one of the tiniest boxes I have ever seen for a pro app ever. At least I got it. Now time to format and reinstall and then on to the upgrade

my update took 3 hours- a fresh install might go quicker- just burnt my first bluray direct from the timeline- very very easy

good luck with the install
post #95 of 120
I would really like to hear if the stability of STP has improved and if the changes are worth the update. Anybody?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #96 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I would really like to hear if the stability of STP has improved and if the changes are worth the update. Anybody?

Sorry- not spent along time with new STP yet been exploring FCP7, bluray and new prores codecs.

What i have used feel rock solid- but won't really know until i've done a couple of long projects.
post #97 of 120
Cool. Keep us posted.

post #98 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post

Support for Blu-ray and HD DVD in FCS:

H.264 multi-pass encoding for Blu-ray discs and files
Support for red laser burning of AVCHD discs for playback in compatible Blu-ray players
HD DVD encoding for DVD Studio Pro authoring

Batch templates with job actions for automating workflows from encoding to delivery, including:
Create DVD
Create Blu-ray Disc

All QuickTime supported codecs encoded to MPEG-2 (SD or HD DVD)
H.264 and HDV (supported natively in HD DVD projects)

Author HD DVDs using SD and HD assets
HVDVD_TS to hard drive

Blu-ray-specific requirements
For burning Blu-ray discs: a Blu-ray recorder

I guess the HD DVD stuff was already in process before the format was sunk. Too bad since I have an HD DVD player!

So it looks like you can encode for Blu-ray. Add Toast 10 and a drive and you are good to go.

From a new Millimeter article. Better Blu-ray support then I realized:

Blu-ray support
YouTube, MobileMe, and Apple TV are nice, but the feature that many HD producers have been clamoring for is Blu-ray support, which Apple also added to the suite. Here, Apple focused on the fast and easy production of simple projects such as the encoding of dailies and other videos for client approval, or simple tradeshow or business demos. Full-featured authoring was not the focus. Operationally, you insert chapter markers on the timeline as before, and then choose Blu-ray from the Share menu.

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/de...23/index2.html

I wish they'd update DVD Studio Pro for full Blu-Ray support. Apple may think the optical disk is dead, but the consumer doesn't and they're the ones who count.
post #99 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I wish they'd update DVD Studio Pro for full Blu-Ray support. Apple may think the optical disk is dead, but the consumer doesn't and they're the ones who count.

Or come up with a superior solution for file interchange that doesn't involve using up all of my GD banwidth or causing me support headaches.

I'm ok with Apple sandbagging on Blu-ray if they're working on a better solution but FFS do "something" beyond useless platitudes like "Blu-ray's a bag of hurt"

No...not having a decent playback mechanism for HD video is a bag of hurt. Especially on a platform that claims to be media savvy.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #100 of 120
I don't know where we are in this discussion but I just received a call back for Final Cut support and they said FCP definately IS NOT 64 bit.
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
aren't you going to miss being the smarter minority when Apple goes mainstream?
post #101 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

I don't know where we are in this discussion but I just received a call back for Final Cut support and they said FCP definately IS NOT 64 bit.

Makes sense. Leopard only supports some 64-bit processes running on a 32-bit kernel. I'm a bit perplexed by the confusion here coming from some people. FCS3 cannot be 64-bit to maximum effect until a version for Snow Leopard is delivered.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #102 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Makes sense. Leopard only supports some 64-bit processes running on a 32-bit kernel. I'm a bit perplexed by the confusion here coming from some people. FCS3 cannot be 64-bit to maximum effect until a version for Snow Leopard is delivered.

Ill second that.

Quite frankly there are a lot of us relieved that we got a update that works with 10.5.

Speculation (clearly wrong now) was along the lines of an FCS update sometime after release of OS 10.6 with probability that it would be incompatible or not very robust with OS 10.5.

I'm treating the new update as a bonus!
post #103 of 120
Quote:

Ill second that.

Quite frankly there are a lot of us relieved that we got a update that works with 10.5.

Speculation (clearly wrong now) was along the lines of an FCS update sometime after release of OS 10.6 with probability that it would be incompatible or not very robust with OS 10.5.

I'm treating the new update as a bonus!

My initial hunch was that Apple would do exactly what they eventually ended up doing. Squeezing an updated Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio out before Snow Leopard. I began to relent a bit as time went on.

IMO attempting to ship a new Logic and Final Cut Studio suite on top of a new OS (Snow Leopard) was simply asking for trouble as far as chasing bugs and getting things optimized. I'm glad my hunch was correct. I figure we'll get a hefty update in 2010 that brings in a lot of Snow Leopard functionality. Snow Leopard should be around 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 by then.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #104 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

My initial hunch was that Apple would do exactly what they eventually ended up doing. Squeezing an updated Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio out before Snow Leopard. I began to relent a bit as time went on.

IMO attempting to ship a new Logic and Final Cut Studio suite on top of a new OS (Snow Leopard) was simply asking for trouble as far as chasing bugs and getting things optimized. I'm glad my hunch was correct. I figure we'll get a hefty update in 2010 that brings in a lot of Snow Leopard functionality. Snow Leopard should be around 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 by then.

Well perhaps your hunch caused the pre 10.6 update- if so thanks

Experience has shown me not to use a new OS in anger until around x.x.2 or greater. by then all the software, drivers and plug-ins i use have normally caught up- and the OS matured in the ,mean time.

This time i might end up hanging on a lot longer as the cocoa carbon thing could cause a longer transition to get everything running smoothly- silly to speculate really i guess- just have to wait and see.

I won't be starting any major projects in FCP7 yet- just play with it for a bit- must say i like it.
post #105 of 120
In the middle of a project now so I'm still on 10.5.6 on my main work machine. Nothing will get updated until it's complete. Have had the odd incompatibility or so in the past to learn to be very patient updating apps.

Will Apple ever put demo versions online? They have a demo of iWork, why not other apps?

post #106 of 120
Quote:

In the middle of a project now so I'm still on 10.7 on my main work machine. Nothing will get updated until it's complete. Have had the odd incompatibility or so in the past to learn to be very patient updating apps.

Will Apple ever put demo versions online? They have a demo of iWork, why not other apps?

well if your on 10.7 your well ahead of everyone!

Doubt demo versions will appear- a full install of FCS is 50GB (still a 7 disc install) although FCP by it's self could work as a download-doubt that will happen as it is not sold on it's own.

I send and receive work from 2 other editors so will be working FCP6 for some time yet (until i can recommend and explain 7 & FCS3 to them)
post #107 of 120
Oops. That should have been 10.5.6. Thanks.

I'm sure they could create a smaller demo, even if they had to sell it on a disk for 9.95 to cover shipping. Then someone could really give it a running before plunking out tons of cash...

Just a thought.

post #108 of 120
Quote:

Oops. That should have been 10.5.6. Thanks.

I'm sure they could create a smaller demo, even if they had to sell it on a disk for 9.95 to cover shipping. Then someone could really give it a running before plunking out tons of cash...

Just a thought.

I have seen a few people talking of 10.5.7 as 10.7 recently- i knew what you meant though just teasing!

I can see your point regarding demo's. I think the apple website does a good job at pointing out and demonstrating all the new features- from a current FCS2 users point of view.

If your just starting in the field from scratch or your transitioning from a different editing platform- i think a good hands on demo in a specialist dealership (not an apple shop or genius bar) is the best way to go and maybe a short course- so you can be shown the best workflows- best way to evaluate a suit of apps like FCS.

But I hear you say that's not going to be convenient to everyone- i agree.
post #109 of 120
As far as how i evaluated the software- it was the expanded Prores 'family', iChat theatre, new speed change stuff, the 'intelligent' time line markers (that move when you remove or move stuff on the timeline) and background export- all appealed to me and are the main reasons for me to upgrade and will have an immediate impact on how i work.

Not the big 'wow' features although i like those too.
post #110 of 120
Ordered a copy...

Would like to try Blu-Ray. Can anybody recommend a drive?

post #111 of 120
Quote:

Ordered a copy...

Would like to try Blu-Ray. Can anybody recommend a drive?

Hi what took you so long to order a copy

I can only recommend 1 manufacture as it's the only one i have had BD experience with.
I have a couple of LG BD burners. My LG BE06 works great with FCP7 export.

http://www.lge.com/uk/it-products/dv...s-BE06LU10.jsp

It's an 6x external USB2 burner ( not tried my older burner yet)

Graeme
post #112 of 120
Too busy trying to finish up a project to be having much fun right now.

Found this drive from MCE:

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

May order if the price is right; I live in Japan and the yen is dropping like lead in thin air......

post #113 of 120
Quote:

Too busy trying to finish up a project to be having much fun right now.

Found this drive from MCE:

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

May order if the price is right; I live in Japan and the yen is dropping like lead in thin air......

FCS3 came along the same week i finished a 7 month project- so it was great that i was able to dive straight in!

I'm looking with interest at what will happen with FCS3 and 10.6 might even be tempted to upgrade my tower if things look bright!

hope your project is going well.
post #114 of 120
[QUOTE=Graeme;1453778]
Quote:

I'm installing the upgrade over FCS 2.

I've just done a fresh install of 10.5 and FCS 2 - everything up to date and am working on a clone of this so i can keep working in FCS 2 as my main set up for the next few months.

I assume you can install without FCS 2 on your system as long as you own a copy and have the serial number to hand for the FCS2. that was the case with the FCS 2 update.

A quick question, if you don't mind... I'm still running FCS2 on my MBP (10.5.7), I gather there should be little problem using FCS2 if i upgrade to SL? I'm planning to do a complete erase and install, for what it's worth...
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
post #115 of 120
[QUOTE=sennen;1472313]
Quote:

A quick question, if you don't mind... I'm still running FCS2 on my MBP (10.5.7), I gather there should be little problem using FCS2 if i upgrade to SL? I'm planning to do a complete erase and install, for what it's worth...

Hi Sennen
You are probably right- about FCS2 and SL? but i will only be trying it with FCS3.

You wil probarly need to do the extra install of 'rosetta' but would assume there will be a onscreen prompt for that

If you can do a complete erase and instal with snow leopard is another thing entirely-People are saying you can and you cant. we will find out today for sure.

I would keep an eye on the fcp forum at apple over the next couple of days.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.j...ID=939&start=0

this will give you some actual install experiences in connection with FCP that you won't find on this forum.

Important note- don't update if you are in the middle of a project- and clone or back up your current system incase something goes wrong!

Graeme
post #116 of 120
Quote:

Important note- don't update if you are in the middle of a project- and clone or back up your current system incase something goes wrong!

Graeme

Best. Advice. Ever.

post #117 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Best. Advice. Ever.

Thanks!

I always give the best advice - but no one ever listens
post #118 of 120
[QUOTE=sennen;1472313]
Quote:

These notes are geard to FCS3 not FCS2- but should be generic to your experience.

I installed SL ($29 upgrade) on a blank fresh HD test disk today- so the disk does appear to be a whole system.

Things to note are- it will only install on a Hard disc set up with a GUID partition .

Make sure you do the customized install and chose the Rossetta and QT7 optional installs.

The fresh install took 40 mins - and did a restart halfway through

The fresh Install puts QT7 into the Utilities folder not directly in the applications folder (in case your wondering where it has gone) QT X goes into the Applications folder (doesn't look anything special sadly- your going to need QT 7 as a good resource for FCP)

Another bit of advice on SL and FCs- there are some issues around express card use- i.e. SxS cards and so XDCAM- and some Sata express card drivers- so depending on your workflow be careful.

IMPORTANT
I'm only playing at the moment - have no intention of using SL or FCP3 for serious work for several months. and you would be wise to run it as a test too and not dispose of your currently working set up of FCS2.

Graeme
post #119 of 120
Thanks for going to the trouble with the info, Graeme. I'll take a good look over at the apple forums, and take my time before i install SL, i think.

Cheers.

edit: seems like there aren't too many issues, going by the apple forums. i think i'll back up my old system then try it out. thanks once more!
post #120 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Thanks for going to the trouble with the info, Graeme. I'll take a good look over at the apple forums, and take my time before i install SL, i think.

Cheers.

edit: seems like there aren't too many issues, going by the apple forums. i think i'll back up my old system then try it out. thanks once more!

Hi Sennen
your right - it looks like a well thought out system/upgrade that you can do a good clean install with. and in many respects 'ready to roll' with work- 3rd party drivers equipment are always going to play some sort of catch up- guess thats the nature of these thing- bet most of them don't know actual release dates either otherwise there would be more leaks!

Most of the moans I've read about snow leopard have been about the actual shipping of the software.

Glad we have had some sensible upgrades Ie FCS and SL that have got substance not just goofy consumer features! unlike the new MBP's (lets not go there)

Still I expect there will be more experiences to lean from over the next 2 weeks from people. esp. regarding 3rd part equipment.

Graeme
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Final Cut upgrades boast more than 100 new features