or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Premium-priced computer market dominated by Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Premium-priced computer market dominated by Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 84
Mac are also a much better value because they usually last longer. Half the Dells in our office have had the power supplies go out in 3 years, the Macs, some 6 years old, never a hardware or software issue EVER!

Edit: One thing though is the Dells are usually under the desks with little air circulation. I keep the Macs up on the relatively clean desks. On the floor the housekeeping vacuum cleaners stir up a lot of dust which the fans suck into the computers, so it might not be exactly a fair comparison.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Yes the iMac with bluetooth keyboard and mouse can be a pretty clean install - but then you might add a printer - a DSl or cable modem - even if you wireless network - there is still more to the story than just the power cord.

In my case i have 4 Macs and 1 PC with 4 printers, 2 scanners, two external monitors attached to notebooks, Airport Extreme router with external hard drive, Airport Express upstairs, wireless trackball on one notebook, wired on the other, about 15 other USB devices including iPhone, iPod, joystick and other gaming devices, Zip drive, external backup hard drives on two of the notebooks, etc, plus a secondary switch on the network with cable runs upstairs and to a workbench where I have an extra keyboard monitor mouse setup for working on computers for friends and family. So while I have 4 of 5 computers as Macs I have lots of cable clutter.

I did setup an iMac for a friend as his only computer but he does have a printer and a headset and a wired keyboard and mouse and ethernet running to a cable modem so a few wires.

It would be nice if more Apple notebooks had docking stations - my Thinkpad docking station is very convenient and moves all the clutter to the back of the machine instead of sticking out the sides.

Yep, I see your point. I do have an iphone that I forgot to mention. I have a wireless printer connected to an Apple Router located on a shelf in my office. My next step is to purchase a Time Capsule which will eliminate the need for a External HD, pwr brick and USB/FW cable. It would be great if Apple would design a Time Capsule with a cable modem included. that would be another pwr brick and cable eliminated...but it will never happen with all the cable variations.

Many times I have run power cables/and internet cables through the walls and into a closet so I can put all the superfluous "stuff" in there. That way I don't have to look at cable modems, routers, ext. HD's and ugly designed printers.

The iMac all in one goes a long way in minimizing the clutter.
post #43 of 84
The important questions are how many people buying the $500 PC previously bought a computer for over $1000 and are now slumming, and are those customers satisfied with their new cheap PCs or not. That phenomenon would be reason to question Apple's direction.

If, on the other hand, the $500 market is mostly first-time buyers, that's not Apple's problem. It may turn out to be an opportunity for Apple down the road when some of those people are dissatisfied by TCO and look for a better, less stressful deal next time.
post #44 of 84
Apple should thank Microsoft for the free ad of cheap useless PCs vs Macbooks.

When your strength is only how cheap you are, people realize that your quality is cheap too.

Nobody in their right mind buy cheap these days. Quality sells, and Macbooks stand for Quality!

Thanks Microsoft. Any other trick?
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Why didn't you use one of the free alternatives on Windows, such as OpenOffice? I would have saved you a trip back to your hotel...

Probably because OpenOffice is still kludgy and awful to use. I tried to use it a year ago and that was a pain. The Mac is just simpler and pain free in most respects.

One thing I take for granted in Leopard is the spell checker throughout the system and the dictionary. Those are two great resource for a bad speller like myself.
post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Absolutely, Somehow the majority of Americans base "value" solely on price. E.g., a $16 blender from Walmart (lasts about a year) is a better value than a $60 Braun blender designed to last 7 years.

The business model is, "make a crap product," sell it cheaply, advertise the hell out of it, make a quick buck and fill up the landfills. Think-McDonalds, Coke, Cereal companies, American Beer companies, GM, Microsoft, Dell, HP, Cold Play, the list goes on and on.

Thank goodness for Apple, Toyota and Honda

Probably would have been smarter to omit the bolded paragraph entirely. Instead of making your point stronger, you just diverted attention from it, since many things on that list make no sense for various reasons.
post #47 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Not everyone has the luxury of waiting until they can afford one. However at the same time, this is exactly what I do except for I plan ahead. If I know I'm gonna want/need a new Mac in the coming months I start saving.

Many more people than do - most I would guess, and yes, I know, not all - could do more to pay themselves in the future too.

You can start anywhere: Get a glass of free water with your burger instead of a soda. Put that in a jar. Get a lower priced entree next time you eat out or skep dessert. Cook something simple and nutrituous instead of eating out in the first place. Get a newspaper every other day, your next tee shirt at a thrift shop. Cut cable services you don't need. Etc. Etc. Etc. All in the jar, and from jar to bank.

Your future self will thank your past self for any modicum of restraint.

The recession has shown people can do this. After the market crashed, the US savings rate went from negative to something like 5-10%. In countries like China, the savings rate is more like 20-30%.

Americans have been too long afflicted with buy it, get it, have it now, charge it or borrow, and for not only buying Macs, we'd be well-advised to look at those looking back at us from our financial mirrors.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #48 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

so you think that shopper who seek for price is stupid? what is it? this time, economy is big matter. everybody tries to save money no matter what. as a matter of fact, not all PC is cheaper or ugly, less specs. I have used mac and PC for more than 15 years. I know what I can get advantage from each. yeah, mac is still better computer. but it's not affordable for most people. if it is, why mac is only shared less than 9% in US or 4% in world market? here in US, $1000 sound cheaper. but when you go to other countries, $1000 is a lot of money for most people. plus, demand is still way lower than PC because windows OS is used in most big companies and government, most people for work. of course, you can run windows on mac. but that's only option. they want entire windows machines, not half booting mac piece of shit. by the way, I have Sony Vaio FW which I recently bought for work. it's very nice, attractive, reliable machine. you said adobe preview? well, that's the first time it comes free with mac. that's maybe adobe reader. Apple is not bundled major software if it is not made by Apple like iLife. so your information is wrong. my mac didn't come with preview. I don't know why you call it preview. plus, did I spend more money because I got PC? NO. actually you will spend more money for software if you are not depend on Apple software. there are few Apple software more than $300. if you need it, you should buy. also microsoft office you should buy if you need (photoshop, apeture, CAD, ans od on). unfortunately, overall cost after buying mac is way more than PC. just take a look at people who bought mac. they go to apple store or other electronic malls to buy more accessaries than PC users. actually they are willing to pay for. so which side more spending money, huh? I don't know where did you pick that wrong information up?

Whew! That was hilarious! Do you do standup?
post #49 of 84
I was a PC user since 1991 until my conversion to Apple in January 2009. The reasons for my conversion was that the PC manufacturer from whom I bought hardware steadily went down hill in quality of product, and the most popular PC OS deteriorated with each new version.

I'm a senior citizen who has owned 4 computer systems sold by the same manufacture. I liked having a floppy drive because I had lots of files stored on floppies since before the turn of the century. The last PC was delivered with a faulty floppy drive, the 2nd one was manufactured by the same Chinese company but did not fit in the CPU, the 3rd one worked. Then within the warranty year the two speakers and the monitor failed. The last straw was that the CPU could not be turned on...the switch did not work or the HD was corrupted.

I now have a mini Mac, and so far I'm happy with its operation. I have no need to lug around a laptop.

I am not surprised at the success of Apple, and not surprised that PCs are cheaper, not less expensive. My last PC was a cheap imitation of my previous well made PCs.
post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Why didn't you use one of the free alternatives on Windows, such as OpenOffice? I would have saved you a trip back to your hotel...


Because I am not allowed to load anything on my corporate PC. This is the first company I've ever worked at where I don't have admin rights to my own computer.

Besides, our network here is so slow, the download would have taken longer than the trip to the hotel (3 minutes each way).
post #51 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

ah the price for osx. It's no wonder they are posting profits seeing as how they are making a killing off their inflated pricing.

But that's my opinion. I'll take a laptop with equal or better hardware specs running vista or xp for much less any day.

I'm confused. Opinions will vary and lead to various choices. I vastly prefer OSX and other Apple products but I still own a PC running XP. I also have XP installed on my MacBook Pro so I can boot it up when I want to (not very often, but it is there). I run across news about Microsoft because it permeates tech news. But I don't seek it out on sites that focus on it. I would consider that a waste of my time.

Is there any reason besides knee-jerk trolling to seek out people with whom you disagree in order to disagree yet again? If it were some fleeting phenomenon (Apple), then I could see raising an alarm that it is just a fad. But Apple has been a significant player for over 30 years, OSX for almost 10 years and it is a continuation of nextStep which goes back to the 80's. Amusingly people have been predicting the demise of Apple for essentially as long as it has existed.

You don't want to buy an Apple product. Fine, we get it. But isn't it a waste of time to post that on a site devoted to following news about Apple products?

Also, your sentence is nonsense. If a company has inflated pricing in the real world it doesn't post record profits. Inflated prices cause unsold inventory to soar so parts are purchased but systems are not sold leading to losses rather than profits.
post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Not everyone has the luxury of waiting until they can afford one. However at the same time, this is exactly what I do except for I plan ahead. If I know I'm gonna want/need a new Mac in the coming months I start saving.

It also goes along with the fact that Mac users keep their computers for longer than people with Windows machines.

People would have nicer things if they just kept them for longer.
post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Anyone can afford a Mac. Hasn't anyone heard of the technique of saving up for what you want? If you can't afford it now, save till you can. Or buy refurbish at the Apple online store.

Word. It's like a Porsche. The machines must perform, so what with the so called "premium" over Windows counterparts. We do get what we pay for.
post #54 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Probably would have been smarter to omit the bolded paragraph entirely. Instead of making your point stronger, you just diverted attention from it, since many things on that list make no sense for various reasons.

Not sure where the bold came from....but thanks you self-satisfied prig!
post #55 of 84
most people for work. of course, you can run windows on mac. but that's only option. they want entire windows machines, not half booting mac piece of shit.

First of all you are wrong on this. The a Mac is just as much of a full computer that will run Windows (or Linux if you want through use of Parallel or VMware) as a Window's PC is. Yes you will have to buy a copy of that other OS but you would have to do that if you had a Windows box and wanted to run another OS unless it was a free distro. Granted you may not get all the bloat ware on a Mac cramed onto your hard drive as a Windows box, but most people remove that crap anyway.

you said adobe preview? well, that's the first time it comes free with mac. that's maybe adobe reader. Apple is not bundled major software if it is not made by Apple like iLife. so your information is wrong. my mac didn't come with preview. I don't know why you call it preview. plus, did I spend more money because I got PC? NO. actually you will spend more money for software if you are not depend on Apple software. there are few Apple software more than $300. if you need it, you should buy. also Microsoft office you should buy if you need (photoshop, apeture, CAD, ans od on). unfortunately, overall cost after buying mac is way more than PC.

You are totally misinformed, and I suspect you have never really owned a Mac. At least not any recent ones. Preview is Apple's OS X's built in file viewer which will read PDF files as well as various graphics files. Preview allows for marking up the document and saving it as a PDF as previously mentioned. Adobe Acrobat viewer does not allow to markup documents and save. You have to have the full version of Adobe Acrobat to do that. Apple at least provides you with fully workable and very imaginative software to do a lot of what many people need or require. If you need additonal software yes you can buy it and there is a lot of very reasonably priced (or free) software out there other than graphics software from Adobe or even Microsoft Office compatible suites. Most crapware on PC's is half baked. I know this from experience of having owned PC's in the past and having worked for HP. I will say at least HP provided half way decent software for graphics and video on their machines which they licensed from 3rd party software companies.

I don't know where did you pick that wrong information up?


Suggest you re-read someone's response first before spouting off on something that you may not be totally informed about, to understand what they are saying and then have your rebutal facts straight.

GMS
post #56 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

so you think that shopper who seek for price is stupid? what is it? this time, economy is big matter. everybody tries to save money no matter what.

If you cannot afford an Apple computer, you are not necessarily stuipd, but you are poor.

The sad thing about poverty is that poor people have to settle for lousy, low-quality products.

Preview has come on every Mac since OS X came out. Where do you get your wrong information?

Let's talk about value: I bought a Mac mini in March that came with iLife '09 already installed. I made a 12-minute video with iMovie '09, iPhoto '09 and iTunes for a family event that brought people to tears and made them laugh. It would have cost thousands of dollars to give a pro all those photos and video tapes and had them do it. It was very simple and straightforward to do that (the Indiana Jones map thing amazed everyone).

As far as I'm concerned, my Mac mini has paid for itself.
post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Apple should thank Microsoft for the free ad of cheap useless PCs vs Macbooks.

When your strength is only how cheap you are, people realize that your quality is cheap too.

Nobody in their right mind buy cheap these days. Quality sells, and Macbooks stand for Quality!

Thanks Microsoft. Any other trick?

We get the royal treatment (Mac) without the royal pain in the a$$ (PC).
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Absolutely, Somehow the majority of Americans base "value" solely on price. E.g., a $16 blender from Walmart (lasts about a year) is a better value than a $60 Braun blender designed to last 7 years.... Think-McDonald's....

Oh, I dunno. I've had some McDonald's I was afraid would last for seven years!
post #59 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Not sure where the bold came from....but thanks you self-satisfied prig!

I bolded it so I could point it out. Just suggesting a better way to make your point, jerk. You muddied the waters of what should be a clear argument by bringing in all sorts of inferior examples.
post #60 of 84
thinking of buying a Mac, so i've been looking at it

If you look at the hardware Apple essentially makes 2 types of computers. laptops and Mac Pro's. Minis and imacs all use laptop parts with the larger imacs having desktop hard drives. laptop parts always cost more. and it's why it's a lot easier to install OS X on a dell laptop than a desktop.

to compare prices the closest thing is a Dell Studio hybrid and it costs $1104 when compared to a 20" iMac. With the Apple you get some more software, it has bluetooth and DDR 3 even though its completely useless in an iMac. if you need support you just take the whole thing to an Apple store to make troubleshooting easier. if you call dell support, you're in script hell with someone who barely speaks english.

you can get a more powerful machine from Dell or build your own, but it's going to come at the expense of space and support.


and price has little to do with quality. i've bought clothes at wal mart that outlast crap i've bought from banana republic that costs 4 times as much. i've also bought $300 Mephisto shoes that fell apart in 6 months. $150 Ecco's seem to outlast $300 Mephistos. a lot of the so called premium stuff is just advertising.
post #61 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As first reported at Betanews, the latest sales figures from NPD Market Research show Apple with the lion's share of premium computer sales, and the Mac maker's commanding share only continues to grow. In May, Mac sales made up 88 percent of computers priced four figures.

The average computer sells for $701, but separating Windows PCs from Macs shows a huge disparity. While the average Windows machine in June sold for $515, the average Apple machine came in at $1,400.

This comparison is grossly misleading as I suspect relevant data is missing. As one poster said previously, I question what data is used here. What PC vendors? Did this research include retail stores (which ones), online stores (which ones), or both, and to what extent? Were retailers that cater mainly towards gaming PCs included, since that is a large segment of PC sales? What about the large percentage of PC users who built computers- did NPD factor in parts purchases for computer builds from popular online retailers like Newegg and TigerDirect? And when they say that Mac's comprise 88% of 4-figure "computer" purchases, does that entail desktops or laptops? Or Both? For laptops/notebooks I am inclined to think that Apple does indeed have the majority percentage of the $1000+ market (in fact, I think that's a no-brainer), but for desktops that claim is dicey. So many questions and yet people are so quick to jump and say Mac's are trouncing the 4-figure PC market...


Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple sells only three products below $1,000: the 13-inch MacBook, and both versions of the Mac mini.

I guess you could consider the $999 Macbook "below $1000," if only for Apple to pat itself on the back and say that they have 3 versions of Mac machines under $1000... but by the time you get done with applicable taxes and desirable upgrades, Apple really has only have 1 Mac product that can truly be had for under $1000, the Mac Mini.
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Why didn't you use one of the free alternatives on Windows, such as OpenOffice? I would have saved you a trip back to your hotel...

Because it was already PDF. This always amazes my PC friends how you can manipulate and save in PDF so easily. Not to mention how OS X handles a ZIP file.
post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Why bother? Some people are destined to live in a DLL world! I bet edward thinks horses sleep standing up, too!

Your right some never learn
.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is funny (although, interestingly, Marie Antoinette never actually said it!).

YES she did
only she said it weeks before the end .

good one thou
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #65 of 84
So what'd their share be if they raised the price of the plastic iBook by $1? All this 99 rubbish is for the hoi polloi.
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Probably would have been smarter to omit the bolded paragraph entirely. Instead of making your point stronger, you just diverted attention from it, since many things on that list make no sense for various reasons.

i understood it completely ./
Not only do you get what you a pay for


you also save on landfill space by buying long term well made devices .

you prig
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by unferth View Post

So what'd their share be if they raised the price of the plastic iBook by $1? All this 99 rubbish is for the hoi polloi.

97 percent
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

This sounds great, and it surely is, but how exactly is this measured. If I remember correctly, this is only for major retail stores and so-called "big boxes" like Best Buy, Walmart, etc, right? If that is the case, I'm don't believe these numbers are accurate. I'm sure Apple still has an enormous market share, but it can't be that big.

The reason being most $1000+ PCs fall into three categories:

1) Gaming PCs - most high-end gaming desktops/laptops are purchased built-to-order online from the likes of Dell, HP, Alienware, Falcon northwest, and other many other smaller botique vendors. These would not be included in the data.

2) Ultraportable laptops - These would be laptops from Sony (TT, Z, etc) Panasonic (W5, T5, etc), Toshiba (various models), IBM (X300, X200, etc), Dell (adamo), etc. These are rarely sold at a retail electronics store.

3) Workstation and workstation laptops - PCs like Dell's Precision line and similar are definitely not found in retail stores. They may also be discluded anyways as "business" computers, although many consumers buy them because of their quality/durability/performance.

It would be interesting to see an analysis of these numbers..

I was thinking in the same direction... specially when it comes to desktops.

Form my personal experience - I know only one person with high-end branded tower (Dell XPS) purchased on-line, and around 20 with custom built towers... all between US$1000 and $1500.

I have no idea what is situation like in US, but here in NZ custom built boxes for advanced home use (multimedia, gaming) are definitely much more common than branded high-end boxes...

Corporate users do go for cheap, business grade boxes much more often than higher end units, but even they will not purchase their gear in retail shops. Comes to home user, for everything above basic tasks - Internet, email, Word etc... people tend to build or have their boxes built for them by friends, relatives or shops (and many small shops here will build for free if you purchase all components from them).
post #69 of 84
Congrats to Apple - they've got the premium market on lock. However, I disagree with the attitudes (or should I say contempt) some of you seem to have towards lower end PCs. People who simply can't afford a mac should not be out of the opportunity of purchasing a computer. There are some very well documented caveats of using these cheap machines, but I'm glad I was able to get a cheap computer to start off before having the money to upgrade to a Mac. The fact that Apple are breaking records in a recession is certainly telling of consumer intelligence.
post #70 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Agreed! Some people though you just can't get that into their head. All they do is look at the price and the specs.

I agree that a Mac isn't the right move for someone just looking for a computer to surf the web & check e-mail. However, if you buy a PC for base functions & then later decide you want to do much more then you are going to spend a ton of money.

On the flip side, if you buy a Mac for web & e-mail, but then later decide you want to d some video chatting with family across the web, & then even later decide you want to get into creating professional looking documents without paying out the nose (iWork is nearly HALF the price of Office for Windows), then after your creative side gets sparked you decide you want to throw together all those photos & videos you've collected into a family home movie! But wait, perhaps you have some kids that are really into music & they decide they'd like to start recording some of their own stuff!

You can do all those things with Windows, but by the time you pay to add those features to a Windows machine you might as well have bought a Mac! That's not even taking into account the fact that my 4 year old iMac runs faster & is able to do more than even some brand new $700 PCs running Vista! That's not even taking into account the fact that PCs get slower & slower overtime as they get cluttered with crappy software!

Switched from PCs to Macs in our household 5 years ago, never even been tempted once to go back, not even for a netbook.
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

...I have to think they have an even larger share of the premium laptop market, what with the desktop market being pretty over-saturated at this point and Apple sells more laptops than desktops.

@winterspan,

While you bring up some good points, I would wager premium PCs from Dell, Alienware, etc. aren't sold at retail in large numbers because they're only really popular with the hardcore Windows gamer niche.

Macs, on the other hand, appeal to gamers, video and photography pros or 'prosumers', and well, most people who aren't cheapskates and have an eye for design. There are also many who are just frustrated by Windows, especially Vista.

Macs appeal to gamers? With ATI 4850 being strongest video card in consumer Macs - and having handfuls of freezing problems?

Riiiight... If there is a consumer market segment where Mac is completely irrelevant, that is gaming.

On the other side, market for custom-built PCs is offering more exotic parts than ever before. Cases, active/passive cooling solutions, liquid cooling, high end components... I don't think a niche market would have such dynamic activity and such a rich offer.
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

PC users take a very short-sighted view and don't make a value judgment based on what their time is worth (i.e., productivity). When you factor that into the equation, Apple wins hands down....even at twice the price!

How about some examples regarding that productivity statement?

Most people do their job related stuff in MS Office, Outlook... or use VPN connection to their Web Office on Terminal Server.

How's Mac going to improve their productivity? By looking better..?
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Apple should thank Microsoft for the free ad of cheap useless PCs vs Macbooks.

When your strength is only how cheap you are, people realize that your quality is cheap too.

Nobody in their right mind buy cheap these days. Quality sells, and Macbooks stand for Quality!

Thanks Microsoft. Any other trick?

This idea that Macs have have a much higher price compared to PCs due to such superior hardware quality is ridiculous. Yes, Apple hardware is better than eMachine and Dell stuff generally. But that doesn't justify the size of the markup. They still charge too much even with this taken into account.

A few months ago I built a Corei7 system for less than $900 total. $900. And I didn't use el cheapo components. Gigabyte motherboard, 6GB OCZ DDR3, Western Digital drives, 850W Antec power supply and Antec Nine-Hundred case -- nice parts. It's easy for Apple to hold a huge piece of the "machines over $1000" market with the way they price things. If Apple even made a Ci7 system (which they don't, their idea of cutting edge is last year's tech) they would probably be charging $2000 for it.
post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So you do what you belittle? That makes sense. That's exactly what saving is:


No it's not.

"Waiting until they can afford one" can mean

Waiting for your tax return check.

Waiting for your bonus check.

Waiting for your next pay raise.

Waiting for that $500 birthday check from your Grand Parents.

Waiting until your car loan is paid off.

Waiting to win the lottery.

Waiting for the price to drop.

Waiting to enroll in college to get the educational discount.

Waiting until your credit card balance is lowered.

Waiting until some one make a decent bid on that item you have for sale on eBay.

All of these has nothing to do with saving a little money every month until you have enough to buy a Mac.
post #75 of 84
edits
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

TO ALL THE people who feel apple is overpriced compared to dell .I hear you . Over and over i hear your stupid cracks .Time to put up or shut up /


I SAY apple gives you a far better value for your dollars
FAR BETTER.

PROVE ME WRONG

You didn't give any arguments that can be proved right or wrong, mate. Just because you say so doesn't make it an argument.

If I'd go your path, I'd just say "I SAY Apple is far inferior performance for the money. FAR INFERIOR. I HAVE PROVEN YOU WRONG".

But that would be childish.

As it is... from my point of view, at least... Apple's offer is too limited for majority of users out there. If what they have is hitting your personal wish list sweet spot, Mac (whichever) might be the one for you. Everyone else might get better value for the money elsewhere. No matter how optimized OSX is, it can't cover for lack of additional 2 cores - if you need them. And it can't cover for lack of high end graphics in desktop/notebook - if you need them. Just to name a few.
post #77 of 84
HEY
i miss worded my thought
shoot me
i am SICK AND tired of all these asshole who know shit about the tech world saying apple is so overpriced blah blah blah . prove it . i say .

I am stateing that all the people who claim apple is over priced to prove in a one on one comparison >>links and price workups a must >
considering all things like a
5 yr ownership
resale value
OS
hardware
software
virus
stuff
chips
sause
components
physical encosure
ease of use
syncing
safety concerns for the earth ie; how green or toxic
and anything else i left out


Thank you nikon for helping out hert
i hope this new post is clear
APPLE IS CHEAPER THAN ALL OTHER COMPUTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

You didn't give any arguments that can be proved right or wrong, mate. Just because you say so doesn't make it an argument.
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Macs appeal to gamers? With ATI 4850 being strongest video card in consumer Macs - and having handfuls of freezing problems?

Riiiight... If there is a consumer market segment where Mac is completely irrelevant, that is gaming.

On the other side, market for custom-built PCs is offering more exotic parts than ever before. Cases, active/passive cooling solutions, liquid cooling, high end components... I don't think a niche market would have such dynamic activity and such a rich offer.

Yeah, sounds awesome like a souped-up Dodge! The things you speak of DEFINE niche market. Most people buy a computer to get things done, rather than fetishize components.
post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by unferth View Post

Yeah, sounds awesome like a souped-up Dodge! The things you speak of DEFINE niche market. Most people buy a computer to get things done, rather than fetishize components.

You are missing the point.

So many manufacturers and so many options can mean only one thing - they sell well and in big volumes. It might be niche in PC world, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that number of units moving in "fetish" PC market is still larger than number of iMacs moving, which is making this study completely irrelevant. Being niche segment in market that commands around 95% of global IT obviously is generating loads of good old greens.

All people buy computer to get the things done. Question is - what things. It just happens all people (that I know) who want to play games, among the other things - have custom built boxes. And I happen to know big number of them.

Your experience might differ - for what I know, maybe you know equal number of people who want to do Garage Band thingie.
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep;

5 yr ownership

If you are trying to say that PCs can't last 5 years, you are wrong. Machine that was running XP back in 2001 still runs XP with same performance. I personally have 8 years old laptop and couple of 5+ years old desktops, all heavily used and all in perfect condition.

Quote:
resale value

Macs are in general not dropping price during their shelve lifetime as much as PC parts, thus 2nd hand Macs are also holding price better than 2nd hand PC parts. At the end of this year, I'll be getting ATI 4890 1GB for less money than I paid for nVidia 8800GT 512MB 2 years ago, though ATI should be 3x faster card. It would be unrealistic if I'd expect to sell my 8800GT for big money.

Quote:
OS

It doesn't do everything I need, thus can't be anything but my 2nd or 3rd computer. Considering that, OS argument is worthless to me.

Quote:
hardware

Another non-argument for me. I am sure hardware in my desktop is of better quality than any iMac, with significantly better performance and lower price. Numbers I have seen posted here in AA forums were showing that number of hardware faults developing in Macs is pretty much the same as number of faults developing in PC brands... not to mention that almost every new generation of Macs is plagued with different problems.

Quote:
software

This actually is semi-argument. If iLife is what one needs, it has additional value for sure. While you can replace iLife programs with free or very affordable titles, people are in general lazy and like everything served in front of them. Not my cup of tea, but still.

Quote:
virus

True, PC requires some vigilance regarding viruses. Having free AV and firewall is again not an issue for me, but I do accept some people prefer to be care free, even if they pay that freedom somewhere else.

Quote:
stuff
chips
sause

My Logitech desktop keyboard is spill-proof, as well as my HP notebook

Quote:
components

Already covered - not an argument for me.

Quote:
physical encosure

Macs look nice but I just hate those side-mounted slot DVDs on iMacs. That being said, my full aluminium Lian Li case looks very nice much as I am concerned, and I love my piano-black LG monitor with proximity sensor and auto-brightness.

Quote:
ease of use

For most of people, using computer boils to turning it on, waiting to boot, clicking on application one want to use. How much easier is it on Mac?

Quote:
syncing

With what?


Quote:
Thank you nikon for helping out hert
i hope this new post is clear
APPLE IS CHEAPER THAN ALL OTHER COMPUTERS

You are welcome. I hope my replies will help you determine on your post clearness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Premium-priced computer market dominated by Apple