or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year - Page 8

post #281 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Again, my deep conviction here with the OS of this device is that it will be a hybrid. It's not going to be a desktop OS converted for tablet use and it's not going to be a giant ipod touch. It will have feature and abilities similar to both types of systems yet be none of them.
It is going to be able to run desktop like applications with the ability to open desktop files but the interface for the apps are going to be different.
Likewise, iphone apps will also be able to run on it but of course it will not exactly be the same....they'll run better.

You want details? Your going to have to wait for the debut......or the brave spy who leaks info.

I agree. The only it can possibly work is for OS X to branch into a new version. Anything else is a fail as weve seen with other tablets.
post #282 of 332
there will be no Apple Tablet device.

the "evidence" for such a thing is actually evidence pointing to the inclusion of multitouch in the Apple notebook, iMac, and monitor lines of hardware. And at this point, this is expected in the next iteration of mac hardware anyway, so its really not that newsworthy. Heck, MS already had touch built into 7 (although it is crap and doesn't even animate, so you can't tell what you are doing until you have fully completed the motion - but it is there) if you have the proper hardware - and you know HP has already got the hardware lined up. And with that 1080P 30,000 contrast 27 inch monitor they came out with today for only $499, their hardware is going to give Apple a run for its money. So I expect everything apple sells will be multitouch before too long.

the end.
post #283 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Again, my deep conviction here with the OS of this device is that it will be a hybrid.

I don't like the term hybrid because at their core iPhone OS and Mac OS are the same thing. IPhones user interface however could evolve easily to support a tablet and remain backwards compatible with iPhone.
Quote:
It's not going to be a desktop OS converted for tablet use and it's not going to be a giant ipod touch. It will have feature and abilities similar to both types of systems yet be none of them.

Well a tablet running Mac OS cerainly not. In respect to a giant iPod Touch, it will have both physical and software similarities. I say this because apparently the current iPhone OS was a refactored Touch Pad like device.

So it certainly won't look exactly like iPhone as it will be extended with additional features. But you can't really call it a hybrid as it won't inherit from Mac OS. In this case the APIs are all new.
Quote:
It is going to be able to run desktop like applications with the ability to open desktop files but the interface for the apps are going to be different.

We seem to be on the same wave length. The problem is running desk top like apps doesn't imply a hybrid with Mac OS. It makes far more sense to develop APIs specific for the platform. It is the best way to make sure developers adopt new methods is to eliminate the old.
Quote:
Likewise, iphone apps will also be able to run on it but of course it will not exactly be the same....they'll run better.

You want details? Your going to have to wait for the debut......or the brave spy who leaks info.

The lack of leaks bothers me. There is very little info on the new iPods or this tablet leaking. As to spys they need to be real brave now adays.


Dave
post #284 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

...It is going to be able to run desktop like applications with the ability to open desktop files but the interface for the apps are going to be different.
Likewise, iphone apps will also be able to run on it but of course it will not exactly be the same....they'll run better...

I kinda agree with this view; it'll run desktop apps, but primarily to just view them with maybe very limited options to create anything. Like the video editing available on the iPhone rather than iMovie.

Maybe an option to run iPhone apps on a 'vitual' iPhone, like a widget on the tablets larger screen? would that save re-wrting iPhone apps?

I don't see how meaningful creative input to a touchscreen could be achieved, I'd hate to write anything but short emails etc. on a touchscreen.
post #285 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

What exactly is this "Mac" going to run?

Software does not write itself.

Don't tell me? You're an avid Sherlock Holmes fan right?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #286 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't like the term hybrid because at their core iPhone OS and Mac OS are the same thing. IPhones user interface however could evolve easily to support a tablet and remain backwards compatible with iPhone.

Well a tablet running Mac OS cerainly not. In respect to a giant iPod Touch, it will have both physical and software similarities. I say this because apparently the current iPhone OS was a refactored Touch Pad like device.

So it certainly won't look exactly like iPhone as it will be extended with additional features. But you can't really call it a hybrid as it won't inherit from Mac OS. In this case the APIs are all new.

We seem to be on the same wave length. The problem is running desk top like apps doesn't imply a hybrid with Mac OS. It makes far more sense to develop APIs specific for the platform. It is the best way to make sure developers adopt new methods is to eliminate the old.


The lack of leaks bothers me. There is very little info on the new iPods or this tablet leaking. As to spys they need to be real brave now adays.


Dave

I understand that ultimately it is the same underlying OS we're talking about here. I guess when I say OS I mean the OS that is tailored for the specific type of device. It's not like their going to shove the iPhone OS or Mac OSX in it and call it a day. And the lack of leaks could really mean that finally Apple is laying down some serious internal security over this product.
But it's probably going to leak anyway minutes up to the debut.

Then again, there were no major leaks before the iPhone debut remember? There were just minor leaks with hints about the device. This could very well be a repeat of 2007.....but bigger! \
post #287 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't tell me? You're an avid Sherlock Holmes fan right?

Elementary my dear Ireland.

Ok, someone had to say it.
post #288 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

there will be no Apple Tablet device.

the "evidence" for such a thing is actually evidence pointing to the inclusion of multitouch in the Apple notebook, iMac, and monitor lines of hardware. And at this point, this is expected in the next iteration of mac hardware anyway, so its really not that newsworthy. Heck, MS already had touch built into 7 (although it is crap and doesn't even animate, so you can't tell what you are doing until you have fully completed the motion - but it is there) if you have the proper hardware - and you know HP has already got the hardware lined up. And with that 1080P 30,000 contrast 27 inch monitor they came out with today for only $499, their hardware is going to give Apple a run for its money. So I expect everything apple sells will be multitouch before too long.

the end.

Quote:
Analyst claims first hand knowledge of Apple gaming, home media center tablet
Sat, 08/01/2009 - 09:56 Seth Weintraub
2611

Barron's is reporting that an un-named analyst has seen Apple's forthcoming tablet and expects it to be announced in September with a ship date around November. They mention that Apple is such a bellwether for the industry that all other manufacturing in this area has stopped until Apple releases this product. They expect the product to retail for $700-$800 and fulfill a variety of multimedia functions including AppleTV and Gaming.

One veteran analyst who has seen first-hand a prototype slate-style computer from Apple says the device could be announced in September for release in November.

Whatever the exact dates, the computer industry is so anxious to see what Apple introduces that it has held off on competing designs until Apple CEO Steve Jobs gives the device his final blessing. "It's close enough now to a final design that in Asia, there's no other product in the waiting room or in the bullpen," said the analyst. "There are dozens of ODMs [original device makers] making products for Lenovo and other PC makers that are all waiting to see what the Apple product is."

The new device, which may retail for $699 to $799, could fulfill a variety of multimedia functions currently taken up by a gaggle of individual consumer electronics devices. It could be a home media center, somewhat like the current Apple TV, and it could be a gaming machine, opines Jon Peddie, head of Jon Peddie Research in Tiburon, Calif. "Gaming will be a big part of what this is about," he adds.

The machine impresses with its display of hi-def video content, says the veteran analyst, who asked not to be identified. "It's better than the average movie experience, when you hold this thing in your hands."

...

A second source confirmed to me that news of the new device "is all over the supply chain in Asia." The biggest question at this point, and the least understood by anyone outside Apple, is whether the company's App Store will be the exclusive distribution point for software for this device.

As Steve Jobs says, it's the software that defines these things.

Is anyone excited about this thing yet?

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-tablet-september-barrons

Your living in denial dude....it's not healthy. You can't stare at the giant meteor hurtling toward you and say "it's not real....therefore I will not be obliterated by it" and expect to live.
Then again, it would be amusing to see you try.
post #289 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

It is going to be able to run desktop like applications with the ability to open desktop files but the interface for the apps are going to be different.

Likewise, iphone apps will also be able to run on it but of course it will not exactly be the same....they'll run better.

I doubt both of these statements.

Desktop Apps would suck.

Any un-modified desktop application would be poor on a tablet.
Imagine the simple act of typing into a text box. The virtual on-screen keyboard pops up - and it has to do so without obscuring the area we are typing into.

Desktop apps demand all manner of inputs, how do you alt-click on a tablet?

And commercially, what motivation does Apple have for releasing this sub-par desktop experience?

iPhone Apps would suck.

No iPhone application is designed for a large screen.
Simply scaling-up the application would make it look terrible. Bitmaps would blur.
Running an iPhone app within a window would be equally unsatisfactory.

If Apple release this device, it will be a new class of product with its own custom user interface.
Yes it will be OS X underneath, Yes Cocoa will the glue between the code and the interface. But not a Mac, and not iPhone OS, and not designed to run software from either.

This will be a change of direction for Apple. Who normally enter a market by taking an existing class of project and making something better.

If it is going to happen at all this will be something quite new.

C.
post #290 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

If it is going to happen at all this will be something quite new.

C.

Hey, I'll be totally up for that.
post #291 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage

If Apple release this device, it will be a new class of product with its own custom user interface.
Yes it will be OS X underneath, Yes Cocoa will the glue between the code and the interface. But not a Mac, and not iPhone OS, and not designed to run software from either.

It won't be Mac as we know it, currently, but it will be Mac. Mac OS X touch, namely. Gestures will replace keyboard shortcuts.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #292 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It won't be Mac as we know it, currently, but it will be Mac. Mac OS X touch, namely. Gestures will replace keyboard shortcuts.

I agree that it will run a variety of OS X - with touch gestures.

But it will not be able to run un-modified Macintosh applications.

So they can not call it a Mac.

C.
post #293 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Well you blew it in the first line of this post! I will be the first to say I'm looking for something more like a big iPod Touch rather than a scaled down Mac notebook.

History says otherwise.

When I here BS like the above I wonder if people even have a clue as to how powerful the current Touch based OS is or how easy extending it to support more features will be. I suspect it will be far easier for Apple to extend the Touch OS for more powerful devices than it will be to trim Mac OS for a new product. Beyond that I don't think Apple would spin it's wheels with development of the robust OS that is in iaphone with out plans to use it else where. We are talking a huge development effort that needs to be leveraged on more products.

Yeah and those APIs run under what? Let's here it Apples Mobile / iPhone OS.

The point you are missing is that is exactly what they have done with Touch. So what would be the point in making the Mac APIs even more complex? In any event you fail to realize how difficult doing what you describe is, especially keeping it compatible with existing software.

1.
Newton didn't fail it got axed. Big difference.
2.
Since we are talking about failures here, every tablet brought to market up till this time has been a failure. Every single one. Part of that is due to the use of an OS API simply not suitable for the job.
3.
Touch is a successful tablet API right now, extending it to support larger devices would lead to rapid user acceptance. It has proven to be suitable for the job.
4.
Both Touch and Mac OSes are based on the same underlying code so in a way this arguement is a bit silly. It is really a discussion about APIs for user apps. One good thing about Touch is that there is no legacy APIs to be supported.
5.
A touch device running Mac OS is a very bad idea if current programs designed for desktop interfaces can run on it. Going iPhone derived for the OS eliminates the possibility of running apps that don't work on the tablet. Apple needs a platfom for tablets that breaks from the past.

Yes it was which should make it obvious that something derived from iPhone OS is the likely development path. Think about it this project was shelved slightly to refocus on getting a cell phone out the door. This in effect means two years of solid development have likely gone into the OS since iPhones debut. IPhone OS is a trimmed down version of whatever this tablet OS was, it should be clear that capability beyound what we see in the iPhone is a real potential.


That remains to be seen, Apple has proven that it can screw up just about anything still. AIR is just the last example. Frankly there are even more ways to screw up a tablet. The most obvious way to screw it up would be to implement a poorly ported desktop OS on it. Really mucking up the hardware is an issue too.


Dave

Newton did fail and it got axed because it was taking Engineering resources away from OS X and the upcoming iMac. I remember walking through the massive crowd of 40 demonstrators protesting it's cancellation at Cupertino, in front of building one.
post #294 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Newton did fail and it got axed because it was taking Engineering resources away from OS X and the upcoming iMac.

The need for engineering resources doesn't mean Newton failed. Rather it means Apple couldn't afford to dedicate time to the unit. At that point in the companieshistory they didn't have the luxury to continue development. Apple was bleeding red and a very drastic plan was implemented to take control of the issues of that time.

I honestly believe that if Apple really thought Newton was a failure they would have sold the division off. Instead they kept everything. Some of the IP in Newton they continued to develop for use on other platforms. Being cut is not the samething as failing in this regard.
Quote:
I remember walking through the massive crowd of 40 demonstrators protesting it's cancellation at Cupertino, in front of building one.

Yes and the device still has a massive following. Well massive for a device canceled years ago.

In anyevent we really don't want this coming device to be a failure for Apple. I can already see though that in some eyes it will be seen that way no matter how it is positioned. My guess is that Apple will address the position many hold that all tablets have failed by positioning the device as a souled up iPod Touch. That is a Touch that can do video and other media better suited to a larger screen. This of course will make the device a failure in the eyes of the people expecting a Mac Tablet with Mac OS/X installed. It will sell like hot cakes though so Apple will do good.

More importantly because it is a Touch based device it will eventually find interesting software on it. Software that will cause the device to work it's way into corporate and business worlds. Just like iPhone and Touch have. It is a bit of a slow sneak attack. Once people realize the devices utility beyound the world of media consumption it will start to grow legs with alternative uses. It really is a bit of action from the IPhone playbook.



Dave
post #295 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I agree that it will run a variety of OS X - with touch gestures.

But it will not be able to run un-modified Macintosh applications.

So they can not call it a Mac.

C.

To be truthful this is all marketing. It will be "a touch-screen Apple computer", that's what it will be. So, it won't be able to run "the old software". So the heck what? This is how things evolve. They can and will call it what they want. If they call it Mac touch, like I think they will, then I hope that will put this crappy discussion to bed. Whatever they call it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #296 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

To be truthful this is all marketing. It will be "a touch-screen Apple computer", that's what it will be. So, it won't be able to run "the old software". So the heck what? This is how things evolve. They can and will call it what they want. If they call it Mac touch, like I think they will, then I hope that will put this crappy discussion to bed. Whatever they call it.

Funny but I find this thread far from being crap. For me it is great to see the different visions people have for this device. From physical size to software to hardware supplied it is interesting to see what different people imagine is the ideal tablet for them.


Dave
post #297 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Funny but I find this thread far from being crap. For me it is great to see the different visions people have for this device. From physical size to software to hardware supplied it is interesting to see what different people imagine is the ideal tablet for them.


Dave

For the last several hours I've gone back in time to pre 2007 to closely examine mockups and opinions on what the "iPhone" was supposed to be like. While some got in the ballpark, altogether people ended not expecting what they saw then Steve debuted the device.

Wanna bet the same thing is going to happen again in a couple of months?
post #298 of 332
My view of this device is that it must fill a void between desktops and laptops. The way I see this device is that it must be a combo of these 2 different elements:

1. the Mac Air, minus the keyboard and slightly less powerful
2. the Iphone, minus the telephone and much more powerful

But I feel that this device must fill a void that none of these prodcuts fill -- I think it must be viewed as a peripheral to your desktop.. rather than a full fledged laptop/Notebook or even just a weak laptop notebook.

I think the way it should be viewed is as a super keyboard really. A keyboard that is so advanced you don't need to type. Think of it as a keyboard for the artistic side of your brain. And really.. when you think about it.. a keyboard is soooo Microsoft if you know what i mean. I believe this should be a device that allows people to use the tech for the Iphone to allow people to interact with their computers in a way they never have before. As well as freeing them from their computers as they never have before.

I am someone who has a desktop but doesn't need a full fledged laptop. And being that I am an artist I would love a high caliber device that allows me to interact with my PC more intuitively than a keyboard. But because I am not a big time artist it is difficult for me to justify spending so much money on a device JUST used for that purpose. Having all the other capabilities Apple mobile devices have available would make it much more worthwhile than just a dedicated artist input. Plus, because Apple is so great with UI they could make all kinds of great features to use this for additionally.

Also key is that from my understanding this device will be like the Iphone in that ii will only be able to run one app at a time. This is another great reason why it would be so perfect as a super peripheral.. because this limitation would not be a problem if using it in conjunction with your desktop often. Think of it like adding another limb to a body. Alone, one limb that does something isn't that impressive.. but adding more functionality to an already existing PC would be great. Think of it like modular computing.

I really hope Apple is going this direction. I think this could be the difference between the success and failure of the device.
post #299 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

For the last several hours I've gone back in time to pre 2007 to closely examine mockups and opinions on what the "iPhone" was supposed to be like. While some got in the ballpark, altogether people ended not expecting what they saw then Steve debuted the device.

It was fun though to digest all the different ideas no? Let's face it you do see some great ideas on the forum. It is what makes the speculation so interesting in Future Hardware.
Quote:

Wanna bet the same thing is going to happen again in a couple of months?

I don't know about that we maybe closer in this thread than was ever achieved in the iPhone threads. Mainly because we know that iPhone directly descended from an APAi that was targgeting a tablet in the first place. So unless that was completely scrapped we have some idea as to what is up.

In that sense we are talking about software, for the coming tablet I'm hoping Apple pulls out all the stops with respect to hardware. For example some of the newest flip chip technology could lead to a very thin tablet with lots of room for a big battery. That is just one potential new tech too, much could be implemented that is relatively new to pit a lot of power into a small space.


Dave
post #300 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Funny but I find this thread far from being crap. For me it is great to see the different visions people have for this device. From physical size to software to hardware supplied it is interesting to see what different people imagine is the ideal tablet for them.


Dave

I mean the discussion part where people are adamant it won't be "a real Mac". Without a keyboard it won't be a Mac etc. I think that's all bullshit. Then others say it will need to run "brand new software", therefore it won't be a Mac. Also a line of bullshit. People almost seem threatened Apple might dare call this thing a Mac, when it fact all the Mac really is is the kernel and some code. It's like saying OS 9 wasn't a real Mac, cause it can't run Leopard apps. It's called change guys, things always change.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #301 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I mean the discussion part where people are adamant it won't be "a real Mac". Without a keyboard it won't be a Mac etc. I think that's all bullshit. Then others say it will need to run "brand new software", therefore it won't be a Mac.

When people buy software, is has a sticker on the box. Made for Macintosh. Mac compatible.
The Macintosh brand does not mean "any computer made by Apple". It means a specific line of hardware that is compatible with Mac OS and able to run Mac OS Applications.

Now it's possible that Apple will produce a tablet that is a Mac. It would run un-modified desktop applications, and have a thin layer of tablet glue to hold it together, Just like Microsoft did with the Origami Project.

I happen to think that is unlikely.

Because it has been done, and delivers a computing experience right from the zone of suck,
Too small and crippled to run desktop apps - too large to go in a pocket.

So it's my belief that if Apple are working on 10" touchscreen hardware, it will end in a new line of consumer products. Not an iPod, not a Mac, but something new.

So Ireland, we know you think this is bullshit, and that is bullshit, but it would be good for you to say why.

Do you think it will run un-modified desktop Apps?
Do you think it will have a DVD drive?
Do you think it will even have an Intel processor?

And if the answer to these things is no, then how can it be possibly called a Mac?

It would need another name. Pad, Book, Note.

C.
post #302 of 332
Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about Apple products and software. All I own is an iPod. But if Apple does make a great tablet that meets my needs I will be in.

But my superficial view of the situation, from what I have read, is that this tablet WILL run full fledged Mac apps. BUT, like the iPhone I believe it will only run apps one at a time. I believe they will do this in order to allow the performance to approach a full fledged laptop even at this budget laptop price. Is this possible?
post #303 of 332
It will be a new type of "Mac". Deal with it. The fact that it won't fit in your narrow term of what a "Mac" is is your problem. It will be a Mac, it will run something like Mac OS X touch, but all software that runs on this device will need to be made from scratch, as the UI will be completely touch-based and finger sized. It won't be able to run "old" Mac software, just like my iMac cannot run Mac OS 9 software, but it "will" be able to run "new Mac software", i.e. Mac touch software / Mac touch apps. It will be a Mac.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #304 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The fact that it won't fit in your narrow term of what a "Mac" is is your problem. It will be a Mac

It will run something like Mac OS X touch, but all software that runs on this device will need to be made from scratch, as the UI will be completely touch-based and finger sized. It won't be able to run "old" Mac software, just like my iMac cannot run Mac OS 9 software,

It won't be my problem. I personally don't care what they call it.

But it would be Apple's problem. They'd have to explain to consumers that this software runs on one kind of Mac, but not that kind of Mac. Whereas this software runs on both kinds of Mac. Such confusion is normally left to Microsoft with its 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Vista.

Look, all I am saying is that if this computer is fundamentally unable to run existing Mac software, they are going to confuse they heck out of buyers if they call it Mac anything.

In my opinion, choosing a name which would mislead or confuse the consumer would do more harm than good.

A less confusing name might be iBook. or even iTouch.

C.
post #305 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

A less confusing name might be iBook. or even iTouch.

By less confusing you mean more confusing right?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #306 of 332
Does anyone know if it might be feasible to design the "Mac touch tablet" in such a way that users could buy a cheap eInk add on display to work with the mac tablet so you could have an extended battery life and read books in a fashion that is easy on the eyes?

I read that an eInk display alone could possibly cost as little as 30 to 60 dollars. So if people like the NY Times and magazines would subsidize full on eIink readers for their users why wouldn't they subsidize a modular type display that could be easily added to this Mac tablet as well? And much cheaper than a full fledged eInk reader.

I imagine a plastic book cover shell-like add-on to the mac tablet that could incorporate a keyboard and an E-ink display. The Mac tablet could run in low power mode when being used as an eInk reader as well.
post #307 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

Does anyone know if it might be feasible to design the "Mac touch tablet" in such a way that users could buy a cheap eInk add on display to work with the mac tablet so you could have an extended battery life and read books in a fashion that is easy on the eyes?

I read that an eInk display alone could possibly cost as little as 30 to 60 dollars. So if people like the NY Times and magazines would subsidize full on eIink readers for their users why wouldn't they subsidize a modular type display that could be easily added to this Mac tablet as well? And much cheaper than a full fledged eInk reader.

I imagine a plastic book cover shell-like add-on to the mac tablet that could incorporate a keyboard and an E-ink display. The Mac tablet could run in low power mode when being used as an eInk reader as well.

If the device has some kind of video out, then a 3rd party can probably make such an eInk display, but Apple won't do it.

E-Ink is no replacement for a regular computer screen, because it can't handle moving images. Fine for a book, but not so for a GUI.

Nice idea, though.
post #308 of 332
Quote:
then a 3rd party can probably make such an eInk display, but Apple won't do it.

Hi synp. Yeah, I didn't mean as a replacement for the normal display but as an add-on. Like an additional and alternate display just for reading text and not doing actual computing. Mainly just to access all that storage space you will likely have on a Mac Tablet so you have the best of both worlds. The iPhone color display and a book reading display in one package.

Though, Oled displays probably aren't far off anyway. When the Mac Tablets gets those the battery and eye strain issues will be eliminated anyway.
post #309 of 332
Speaking of e-Ink. I personally think e-ink won't become ubiquitous in the marketplace until someone out there develops a display that can incorporate both e-ink and LCD (or even better, OLED) into the same display. This display would be able to drop into e-ink mode. Not just black and white monochrome, but something that equals the quality of actual e-ink. This hasn't been invented yet, which is my point. We need some innovation, because e-ink on its own is not good enough, and LCD on its own has terrible battery life and is bad on the eyes for extended periods. So this Mac touch will be LCD, and maybe in 4 or 5 years will have this new-type of display.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #310 of 332
I am really really shocked wearable monitors haven't come further than they are by this point.

Imagine if we had a Mac tablet with no display.. it's just a touch interface. You wear some normal looking reading glasses that overlay your display image on your tablet surface in your glasses in an augmented reality fashion.

I thought we would be there by now. But it seems to me wearable monitors haven't progressed much at all in the last 10 years. Makes me wonder if the "powers that be" might be choosing not to develop that product because it makes them obsolete. Imagine if the tech giants had no giant TVs to sell.....
post #311 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

I am really really shocked wearable monitors haven't come further than they are by this point.

Imagine if we had a Mac tablet with no display.. it's just a touch interface. You wear some normal looking reading glasses that overlay your display image on your tablet surface in your glasses in an augmented reality fashion.

I thought we would be there by now. But it seems to me wearable monitors haven't progressed much at all in the last 10 years. Makes me wonder if the "powers that be" might be choosing not to develop that product because it makes them obsolete. Imagine if the tech giants had no giant TVs to sell.....

I'm not buying that. Evolution in technology is not always that clear. People still make abacuses.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #312 of 332
Another reason is that the user experience didn't pan out. I bought one once but haven't used it for a very long time. It just wasn't practicable, it completely dominated the view and there was no way to look away and rest your eyes.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #313 of 332
One thing I am curious about is the possibility that this new tablet WON'T have a completely minimal design. I think this is where there are some fascinating design possibilities. I would like to see a lot of different ideas exploring that possibility.
post #314 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

I am really really shocked wearable monitors haven't come further than they are by this point.

Imagine if we had a Mac tablet with no display.. it's just a touch interface. You wear some normal looking reading glasses that overlay your display image on your tablet surface in your glasses in an augmented reality fashion.

I thought we would be there by now. But it seems to me wearable monitors haven't progressed much at all in the last 10 years. Makes me wonder if the "powers that be" might be choosing not to develop that product because it makes them obsolete. Imagine if the tech giants had no giant TVs to sell.....

Expensive and low resolution is why they don't exist outside of a few novelty items...which are expensive and low resolution or really really expensive and high resolution.
post #315 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It will be a new type of "Mac". Deal with it. The fact that it won't fit in your narrow term of what a "Mac" is is your problem. It will be a Mac, it will run something like Mac OS X touch, but all software that runs on this device will need to be made from scratch, as the UI will be completely touch-based and finger sized. It won't be able to run "old" Mac software, just like my iMac cannot run Mac OS 9 software, but it "will" be able to run "new Mac software", i.e. Mac touch software / Mac touch apps. It will be a Mac.

Because you say so it must be true and must be dealt with. Not.

There's no reason that the prototype seen is just another prototype that doesn't see the light of day.

There's no reason that the 10" displays can't be for something else and frankly, that rumor was for a 10" netbook. Which I can believe with a keyboard running normal OSX apps and iPhone apps as well in touch mode. There's no reason it couldn't be a docking slate like the Always Innovating Touch Book.

Me, I'll be happy if it runs iLife and iWork, has mini-DP out and handles a bluetooth keyboard natively without hacking. I prefer Atom to ARM to be able to bootcamp but it's okay if its ARM for battery life.
post #316 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Expensive and low resolution is why they don't exist outside of a few novelty items...which are expensive and low resolution or really really expensive and high resolution.

I wasn't saying that wearable displays were ready for the mainstream if only the tech giants would let them be used. My point was that they haven't been developed much at all for the last 10 years from what I have seen. But I haven't done a ton of research either. But you would think if they are developing we would hear about it.

My point was that these tech companies have no reason to pursue developing this tech because it would ruin their business. How much money do you think these tech giants have allocated towards developing wearable monitors versus OLED? Probably not 1/1,000,000. And yet their technology is the most closely related, and really this kind of display would be the killer display if perfected. The problem is it would be TOO killer.

But anyway.. I don't want to sidetrack the tablet discussion. I was just babbling.
post #317 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

there will be no Apple Tablet device.

SNIP

the end.

Steve?!?!

Is that you??

Or are you just putting forth your SPECULATION as if was based on FACTS that you're privy to?

Hey I could do that to watch!

Quote:
there will be an Apple Tablet device.

__insert random speculative comments but make them sound like sold facts that actually support your position__

the end.

Neat huh!
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
Apple Fanboy: Anyone who started liking Apple before I did!
Reply
post #318 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

I wasn't saying that wearable displays were ready for the mainstream if only the tech giants would let them be used. My point was that they haven't been developed much at all for the last 10 years from what I have seen. But I haven't done a ton of research either. But you would think if they are developing we would hear about it.

My point was that these tech companies have no reason to pursue developing this tech because it would ruin their business. How much money do you think these tech giants have allocated towards developing wearable monitors versus OLED? Probably not 1/1,000,000. And yet their technology is the most closely related, and really this kind of display would be the killer display if perfected. The problem is it would be TOO killer.

But anyway.. I don't want to sidetrack the tablet discussion. I was just babbling.

Mmm...they do develop them..in as much as a high resolution OLED would make a nifty wearable display. Plus the big military tech companies invest in them for obvious uses.

It's a fairly tough problem.
post #319 of 332
I think it's kind of strange that everyone and their brother seems to have a really really good idea of what the Apple tablet will be.. yet no one has made it already...

Or have they?

What is the closest thing to an Apple tablet we could find out there right now?
post #320 of 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

I think it's kind of strange that everyone and their brother seems to have a really really good idea of what the Apple tablet will be.. yet no one has made it already...

Or have they?

What is the closest thing to an Apple tablet we could find out there right now?

Nothing yet. From what I heard, other copycats are waiting for Apple to release the "tablet" so they will follow suit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's much-anticipated tablet device coming early next year