or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › 8 Killed in Car Crash
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8 Killed in Car Crash - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Report: Wrong-way Driver was 'Drunk' and 'High'

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Of course Volvo is owned by Ford these days I've heard the quality has dropped in Volvos.

Volvo cars are still made in the original Volvo factories in Sweden even though Ford owns the company currently. In fact, the purchase of Volvo has helped Ford improve the design and safety of some of their own vehicles. Volvo invented a lot of the safety features now common in most cars, and continues to innovate in that area.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Part of the reason that Volvo has a reputation for safety is the time they beefed up their car's structures just for the ads they made a couple decades ago. By the time they were required to stop making those ads, people already got the safety "message", which was at least a partial fabrication. They're safe, but part of that reputation as being so much safer is a little undeserved.

So, you're saying that Volvo cars aren't safe anymore and that they invented all those safety features just for advertisements decades ago? I don't think you're correct. All the safety features are still there, plus some new ones. Unless you're saying that Volvo is completely lying to customers who buy their cars?

Which car do you think is the safest? I'm fairly certain Volvo cars still rank very high on the safety-feature scale. Ford may currently own Volvo now, but, they didn't gut the safety features, in fact, Ford added many of them to their own cars.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

So, you're saying that Volvo cars aren't safe anymore and that they invented all those safety features just for advertisements decades ago? I don't think you're correct. All the safety features are still there, plus some new ones. Unless you're saying that Volvo is completely lying to customers who buy their cars?

Which car do you think is the safest? I'm fairly certain Volvo cars still rank very high on the safety-feature scale. Ford may currently own Volvo now, but, they didn't gut the safety features, in fact, Ford added many of them to their own cars.

Volvo, in my personal opinion, produces one of the most safest cars now. I drive an XC90 and it feels solidly built. I've driven a friend's BMW 7 series and while it's extremely comfortable and probably better than my Volvo, the solidness is just not as reassuring as Volvo cars.
post #45 of 49
this is extremely tragic and i hope their families don't suffer much
as for the poster, i don't think car companies build the vans or cars to be driven into other cars on the other side of the road ... no car would completely save against driving towards oncoming traffic

"the minivan was going the wrong way."
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Volvo cars are still made in the original Volvo factories in Sweden even though Ford owns the company currently. In fact, the purchase of Volvo has helped Ford improve the design and safety of some of their own vehicles. Volvo invented a lot of the safety features now common in most cars, and continues to innovate in that area.

Is this comment supposed to suggest that Ford vehicles have somehow benefited, safety wise, from its ownership of Volvo?

No.It.Has.Not.

Fords are still the same cheap pieces of sheet metal that they were 20 years ago. Nothing has changed. This is true reason that the American automotive industry is history. Pure Stagnation.

There has not been one significant innovation in automotive travel in the U.S. since the air conditioner.

Its hard to not sound crazy when alluding to global conspiracy, but how can someone legitimately say there has been no concerted effort to keep gas-guizzlers on the road and alternative, efficient fuels out of the mainstream?

I'm not some naive idiot who believes that oil is rare and therefor needs to be abandoned as soon as possible. I do know that its sparsely distributed, and very expensive to extract and process, and ultimately very expensive for the average Joe to purchase by the gallon. That in itself is reason to move to hydrogen or electric or both. (And reason enough for Oil hounds to suppress such attempts).

If you don't already think that there are people who would rather technology be suppressed than lose their oil income, you better start believing it. The sooner the better.
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Its hard to not sound crazy when alluding to global conspiracy, but how can someone legitimately say there has been no concerted effort to keep gas-guizzlers on the road and alternative, efficient fuels out of the mainstream?

I'm not some naive idiot who believes that oil is rare and therefor needs to be abandoned as soon as possible. I do know that its sparsely distributed, and very expensive to extract and process, and ultimately very expensive for the average Joe to purchase by the gallon. That in itself is reason to move to hydrogen or electric or both. (And reason enough for Oil hounds to suppress such attempts).

If you don't already think that there are people who would rather technology be suppressed than lose their oil income, you better start believing it. The sooner the better.

I don't know how the efficiency is being compared here. The price of petrol is not that bad cheap. In some places it's expensive but only because it is heavily taxed, well above and beyond what is needed to pay for highway maintenance.

I wouldn't be surprised if there really is some technology suppression, but gasolene is pretty hard to beat in terms of energy per weight *and* cost per unit energy. The momentum is helping gasolene too. The enthalpy of hydrogen combustion isn't that great that I recall. Ethanol has its own set of problems that are still being resolved. Electric vehicles need to worry about batteries, which is heavy and batteries cost a lot when you're trying to move something bigger than a golf cart. Still, personally, I'm looking forward to buying an electric car in a couple years. I'll see how things go for me by then.
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Is this comment supposed to suggest that Ford vehicles have somehow benefited, safety wise, from its ownership of Volvo?

No.It.Has.Not.

Fords are still the same cheap pieces of sheet metal that they were 20 years ago. Nothing has changed. This is true reason that the American automotive industry is history. Pure Stagnation.

Ford Focus and Volvo C30 Excel in Crash Tests

Whoooops. Looks like you don't know what you are talking about!

I have a friend that spent two years in Sweden working on the 2010 fusion hybrid with volvo. When he came back he brought volvo people back to work in Detroit. So ... you are very wrong.
post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Ford Focus and Volvo C30 Excel in Crash Tests

Whoooops. Looks like you don't know what you are talking about!

I have a friend that spent two years in Sweden working on the 2010 fusion hybrid with volvo. When he came back he brought volvo people back to work in Detroit. So ... you are very wrong.

So I guess you were also wrong when you stated earlier in this thread that the quality has dropped in Volvos because it was owned by Ford.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › 8 Killed in Car Crash