or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AVG antivirus update attacks Apple's iTunes

AVG antivirus update attacks Apple's iTunes - Page 2

post #41 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Please don't feed the troll. He's been here only a couple of days and has made 20 trolling posts in several different threads. Ignore him and he'll go away.

Well he is right to an extent- Mac users were much more tech savy prior to OSX. They had to be.
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

That is redundant, not an oxymoron.

It really scares me when people have no idea what they're talking about, but say it anyhow. For the oxymoronically inclined, here are some oxymora from http://www.fun-with-words.com/oxym_example.html

Great Depression\tfree trade\tpeacekeeper missile
sweet tart\tcrash landing\tnow then
butt head\tsweet sorrow\tstudent teacher
silent scream\ttaped live\talone together
good grief\ttight slacks\tliving dead
near miss\tlight tanks\told news
hot chilli\tcriminal justice\tpeace force
post #43 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well he is right to an extent- Mac users were much more tech savy prior to OSX. They had to be.

We had to be tech savvy to use System 7 or OS 8 or 9?

Those were both easy and user friendly operating systems. I used System 7 through to OS 8 from 1994 - 2002. Even back then they were a breath of fresh air compared to Windows. Mind you, XP seemed to be a better animal than OS 8. Perhaps OS 9 would be a more fair comparison, but I never used that.
post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonTate View Post

It really scares me when people have no idea what they're talking about, but say it anyhow. For the oxymoronically inclined, here are some oxymora from http://www.fun-with-words.com/oxym_example.html

You forgot the funniest one: Microsoft Works
post #45 of 64
WTF is this, amatuer hour? I find it unbelievable that these idiots don't have a few virtual machines setup with an installation of all major popular consumer software to test against.

BTW, I also use Avira Antivir.. Great product.
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

We had to be tech savvy to use System 7 or OS 8 or 9?

Those were both easy and user friendly operating systems. I used System 7 through to OS 8 from 1994 - 2002. Even back then they were a breath of fresh air compared to Windows. Mind you, XP seemed to be a better animal than OS 8. Perhaps OS 9 would be a more fair comparison, but I never used that.

OSX does everything for you except put your toothpaste on your toothbrush. You constantly get updates.
Remember when you had to allocate your system useage? configure your own systems preferences etc????? What- did you forget so soon?
post #47 of 64
Quote:

What, because some website called fun-with-words.com put these on their oxymoron page, that makes them oxymorons?

Look up oxymoron in the dictionary. You will find that neither "taped live" nor "hot chilli" are oxymorons; fun-with-words.com made a boo-boo. Chillis are hot, so "hot chilli" is not an oxymoron, it's just that "hot" is redundant. Similarly, if you say you went to a concert and "taped live", the "live" part goes without saying. There's plenty of other phrases in that list that aren't oxymorons but look like they could be when taken out of context. Edit: in fact, most of them, including "hot chilli" are on that list as "jokes" because they look like oxymorons but aren't. "hot chilli" sounds like "hot chilly", which would be an oxymoron.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinghero View Post

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's an oxymoron. If I say "banana apple" is that an oxymoron? A term is an oxymoron only when the terms that make up that term are contradictory or have opposite meaning

I'm reasonably sure a trojan and virus are contradictory in computer malware terms. A trojan is an attack disguised in a way to convince the user to accept the attack, the user has to accept the trojan in order for the attack to be successful. A virus simply infects and self-replicates without any user intervention at all. Accepting a trojan on one computer doesn't automatically infect other computers.
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You forgot the funniest one: Microsoft Works

LOL, that's definately an oxymoron. So is Appleinsider.
post #50 of 64
... or who knows what iTunes is actually doing on Win... Maybe AVG was not wrong...

)
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
post #51 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

The antivirus hit is just part of the story. Wanna see the other reason why PC's are so slow has to do with software architecture. Why is it that any software written for PC are so slow and cumbersome? It has to do with the modus operandi of software engineers who are used to working with PC's versus Macs. Want proof? Open Word for Mac and then open Pages. Pages seems to be running on a supercomputer compared to the slowness of Word for Mac. Everything executes several-fold faster. Try to really push it and Word for Mac crashes.

Everything written for the PC follows the same low quality, unreliable and stupid software design. It is not one thing, it is the total package.

Hrmmm...that may be true for a lot of software, but why do most games all run faster on Windows?! (oh yeah were not locked in to lame hardware!)

Tons of people play games so you can't say it is a minority of people playing them and it just doesn't matter, it DOES!
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Hrmmm...that may be true for a lot of software, but why do most games all run faster on Windows?! (oh yeah were not locked in to lame hardware!)

Tons of people play games so you can't say it is a minority of people playing them and it just doesn't matter, it DOES!

Most PCs are sold with lame hardware. Most PCs sold are under $1000, the average being barely above $700. Apple has most of the above $1000 personal computer market.
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

OSX does everything for you except put your toothpaste on your toothbrush. You constantly get updates.
Remember when you had to allocate your system useage? configure your own systems preferences etc????? What- did you forget so soon?

Haha, that's right! I do remember I had to allocate stupid RAM to Marathon if I wanted to play it with highest settings. I don't remember having to confugure prefs that often, other than Sound Manager. Throw out o few prefs names and it'll come back to me. I do remember extensions having to load up all the time, slowing down startup.

I actually kinda miss those days.
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

VLC is just a player, that's it. iTunes isn't just a player. Does VLC have a podcast catalog and retrieval system? Does it index all your audio and video media? Does it offer anything like auto updating smart playlists? It also syncs photos, emails, contacts & calendar data with other programs if you want it to. It's one thing if you don't want or need those features, but to call iTunes just a media player compared to VLC, then that's just not an apt comparison.

iTunes shouldn't be taking 40% of your CPU just idling, that is bad, but I've never seen that. iTunes shouldn't be taking any CPU unless you're doing something with it.

The current version of iTunes is 8.2.1. It might help to do an update unless you have a Pre that you want to sync to it.

VLC may be "just a player," but it has many more features than iTunes and Quicktime in that area.
Neither of the Apple products can do things like change audio sync, never mind on the fly. Do you really think you need 100MB of code just to index, update, catalog and sync?

I've seen an idling iTunes suck up processor cycles on other Macs as well, including more than half of the CPU on an old Powerbook G4. And I suspect 8.2.1 is even more massive. Very few applications shrink over time.
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

VLC may be "just a player," but it has many more features than iTunes and Quicktime in that area.
Neither of the Apple products can do things like change audio sync, never mind on the fly. Do you really think you need 100MB of code just to index, update, catalog and sync?

I can't say I remember ever having a problem with an audio file being out of sync.

100MB of RAM being taken isn't really that big of a deal, it's about $1.25 worth of RAM these days.

My computer has been up 6 days, iTunes running for that amount of time, indexing 300GB of audio (music, podcasts) and video, and is taking 115MB of RAM. I'm not seeing what the big deal is. I don't use cover flow though, I recall that taking memory. Genius or WTF that is is off too.

Quote:
I've seen an idling iTunes suck up processor cycles on other Macs as well, including more than half of the CPU on an old Powerbook G4. And I suspect 8.2.1 is even more massive. Very few applications shrink over time.

I'm simply suggesting that maybe the problem might be solved by installing the new version.

I'm not saying your situation doesn't happen, but I haven't seen the problem on any of my computers. Simply outside my experience. The computer I am sitting at has greater than 95% idle with maybe a dozen programs open simultanously.
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

You mean run faster on a "PC". From what I read (and from the games I played on both platform), the same game usually runs "better" (not necessarily faster) on OS X (and 9) than on Windows. When using comparable hardware.

I remember back in the early days of Windows 95 where the DOS version of a game was much faster than the Windows 95 version. (While playing on the same hardware.)

What is true is that it's a lot cheaper to upgrade a PC for faster (and better) gaming than a Mac. There are many graphics cards you can buy for under $100 that are better than what came with the original PC or found on a Mac. Where as on a Mac the choices are few and more expensive. Providing you have a Mac where you can change the graphics card at all. Not to mention sound cards.

The other thing that is true is that there are much more games for PC than for Mac. And games for Mac often comes out months (if not over a year) after the PC version. This is probablly the main reason why there are much more gamers on PC than Mac.
post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Haha, that's right! I do remember I had to allocate stupid RAM to Marathon if I wanted to play it with highest settings. I don't remember having to confugure prefs that often, other than Sound Manager. Throw out o few prefs names and it'll come back to me. I do remember extensions having to load up all the time, slowing down startup.

I actually kinda miss those days.

I miss the ease of setting up a "RAM Disk" in OS9 (and 8). I remember having a 100MB "RAM Disk" set up in the "Memory Manager" (?) and then dragging the Photoshop App. into it (or just using it as the "scratch drive") to speed up photo editing. Or using it for Safari cache to speed up web browsing. Just got to remember not to save anything you want in it. Or you'll lose it when you shut down.

I read you can still do this in OSX (not sure what version) but you have to access the terminal window and type in several lines of codes.
post #58 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

One more reason to go Mac.

Oh, and to put the question to rest, MS wants Word to drag on OSX, and Apple wants iTunes to drag on Windows. That's why these things happen.

so apple paid AVg to mess up their updates to aid in the uptake of Apple computers?
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
Household: MacBook, iPad 16gb wifi, iPad 64gb wifi, iPad Mini 32gb, coming iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S 32gb, iPhone 32gb, iPod Touch 4th gen x1, iPod nano 16gb gen 5 x2, iPod nano gen 3 8gb, iPod classic...
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post

I miss the ease of setting up a "RAM Disk" in OS9 (and 8). I remember having a 100MB "RAM Disk" set up in the "Memory Manager" (?) and then dragging the Photoshop App. into it (or just using it as the "scratch drive") to speed up photo editing. Or using it for Safari cache to speed up web browsing. Just got to remember not to save anything you want in it. Or you'll lose it when you shut down.

I read you can still do this in OSX (not sure what version) but you have to access the terminal window and type in several lines of codes.

I'm getting some crazy flashbacks here. I remember each Window opening on its own - there was no browser-like navigation. For some, that made a whole lot of sense. It was logical. John Siracusa wrote about it at length. Spatial navigation. You can still get that same effect on OS X, if I'm not mistaken, via a preferences option somehwere.

In this day and age of Spotlight, tags, and novel ways to search your filesystem, however, it really doesn't make much of a difference how you organize your drive. Although I'm still comforted by having everything neatly in place.

One thing I wish the old Mac operating systems had was Quicklook or a Quicklook-like feature. I don't recall there even being a 3rd party app of that kind. Quicklook is absolutely brilliant. It's instantaneous, it's convenient, the window is resizeable, etc. Love it. Now, if Quiclook allowed one to do some basic editing (without having to open the associated app), that alone might be a reason for anyone to switch to a Mac.
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I guess oxymoron isn't strictly accurate. Nonsense may be better. But whilst "Trojan" and "virus" aren't opposites, they do contradict one another in the sense that it is not possible to be both a Trojan and a virus at the same time.

Yes it can be both. A virus that fools the system into thinking it is supposed to be there would be both a Trojan and a virus. Another example was the Hypercard "Font Preview" posted to comp.sys.mac.hypercard in 2000 which contained the virus Hypercard Wormcode.
post #61 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

Yes it can be both. A virus that fools the system into thinking it is supposed to be there would be both a Trojan and a virus.

OSes tend not to check themselves; that's the job of anti-malware products. If a virus manages to fool an anti-malware check into thinking that it should be there, it's a clever virus but it's not a Trojan. The point of a Trojan is that it looks attractive to the user and that is how it gets onto the system in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

Another example was the Hypercard "Font Preview" posted to comp.sys.mac.hypercard in 2000 which contained the virus Hypercard Wormcode.

A Trojan could contain a virus but it wouldn't be a virus itself.

Just read the wikipedia entries for Trojan, virus and worm; they do a better job of explaining this than I can.
post #62 of 64
Quote:

I agree about MS Office for Mac. It feels as though they did the minimum necessary to get everything running on OS X and brought a lot of baggage along with them.

However, I disagree about all Windows software being slow and cumbersome. That's a bit over the top. The world, for the most part, still get stuff done with Windows, and there are several areas where Windows is the best OS (such as multitasking performance) over all but the mainframe OS.

Let's stick to fair and true assessments. OS X is still far ahead, but you don't need to distort reality.

I would be hard pressed to find ONE area where Windows wins. OK, gaming is clearly Windows turf, but I would rather buy a Nintendo Wii (and in fact I have). Another one is if you want to interface with data acquisition boards which do not yet have support for Macs.

For instance, I work with an engineering research and development company. I myself do high end scientific computation. Do you know what computer I use for heavy number crunching? A macbook pro 2008 model. Not even a Mac Pro! What do I use for word processing? Pages. I don't care how many other people use Word or open office. I just save as Word from Pages and by not using Word or open office I save days of work (not to mention pain and suffering that comes with working in Word) in every document I produce.
post #63 of 64
I recommend Avira Antivir. I use the paid version on my Vista laptop. Once I moved from Norton 360 to Avira, the machine's performance increased by about 10-15% at least. Avira's scanning is better and you can see the results on the test websites.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

I recommend Avira Antivir. I use the paid version on my Vista laptop. Once I moved from Norton 360 to Avira, the machine's performance increased by about 10-15% at least. Avira's scanning is better and you can see the results on the test websites.

I recommend to you all Leopard as your antivirus.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › AVG antivirus update attacks Apple's iTunes