or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September - Page 5

post #161 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Hey Ireland, (and maybe wizard69, teckstud and a few others)

do y'all remember when the tablet was a crazy insane idea and it was only us in a future hardware section thread that would discuss it?
Every once in a while the occasional naysayer would stop by the thread just to make fun of us weird kooks talking about a product Apple would never....ever consider producing? For two long years this has been going on.

Now look. Now everybody and their grandmother can't wait to buy it. Who's da man now hmm naysayers? PWNED!

EDIT: I'm not sure about techstud now that I think about it. Weren't you one of the naysayers techstud?

Most of the criticism was:

1) Not this year. And it wasn't. You guys been saying this year for a couple years. Eventually you'll be right. Might not be this year either but 2010.

2) Keyboardless 10" slate tablet not so hot. 7" slate tablet better or 10" convertible netbook. We'll see what Apple does.

Me, I'm still unlikely to get a 10" slate. I have 11" and 12" slates and really miss a good integrated keyboard on those things.
post #162 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Most of the criticism was:

1) Not this year. And it wasn't. You guys been saying this year for a couple years. Eventually you'll be right. Might not be this year either but 2010.

Well saying Apple will create an airplane for years won't likely ever be eventually right. So if we do end up being right, you could say we were right, just ahead of our time. Telling us we have been saying this for a long time is a compliment, not an insult. Anyway being right is neither here nor there, the reason I was wishing for this device for a long time is because I personally wanted it. When it does eventually come along I won't have the money for it, lol.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #163 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well saying Apple will create an airplane for years won't likely ever be eventually right. So if we do end up being right, you could say we were right, just ahead of our time. Telling us we have been saying this for a long time is a compliment, not an insult. Anyway being right is neither here nor there, the reason I was wishing for this device for a long time is because I personally wanted it. When it does eventually come along I won't have the money for it, lol.

SUPPOSE i told you apple will start selling TV sets ?
No one has predicted this .

And in the last go round no one dreamed of 13"uni MBP and the sd card slot and return of fire wire.
No one.
With the new MBP Bright screens that look better than my 1080p aquos maybe apple will start selling graphic/gaming/mini TVs 20 " size/

THE tablet will be a mini MBA style 9x6"
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #164 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

SUPPOSE i told you apple will start selling TV sets ?
No one has predicted this .

And in the last go round no one dreamed of 13"uni MBP and the sd card slot and return of fire wire.
No one.
With the new MBP Bright screens that look better than my 1080p aquos maybe apple will start selling graphic/gaming/mini TVs 20 " size/

THE tablet will be a mini MBA style 9x6"

There have been plenty of TV set rumors out since AppleTV was released, and it will probably come around again in the fall.

With the success of the Kindle and iPhone/iPod Touch this device could have a chance at success. The problem is making it a form factor that will work as a bridge product between the iPhone and MacBook. If you have to carry around your iPhone and MacBook as well it will have less of a broad appeal. To me that means that it needs to have the capability to run some common OS X applications like Excel and Word out of the box, if not it is just a big iPhone. These two applications are probably the most critical because they are two of the most used in business for creating documents.

I think that it also needs a good stylus for input and an updated version of Ink (is that the right app? Apple's hand writing recognition) for when a keyboard is not practical, and a notes/sketchbook app.
post #165 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

SUPPOSE i told you apple will start selling TV sets ?
No one has predicted this.

What? A lot of people have been saying this for a while, and I was one of the first. If fact that amount I was convinced, and still am that this is inevitable has caused reaction in the past to call me, at the very least, arrogant. Though I don't care what they say. Just as when a few of us here was saying the iPhone was pretty much a given, there was a huge % here that said we were idiots. I have fun with people's reactions here, they can be so easily given to fits of rage
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #166 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

You obviously didn't notice any of my previous comments where I said 4" is the maximum width including bezel making the maximum screen size 7.5".

I completely dismiss a 9.7" or 10" screen for anything that's going to be a "go everywhere" device. Not that such a device doesn't have its uses. Mel highlights some of advantages of a multi-touch tablet over a netbook that's only input is a keyboard and single touch trackpad. For some things a tablet is definitely better.

However, a 10" device won't be something people take with them everywhere because it's too big for a pocket and many purses. That means another bag to carry it around. It'll get left behind as often as it's taken and that's a recipe for low customer satisfaction and sales that fall rapidly after the initial euphoria wears off.

Finally I'll concede that Apple may consider the iPhone and iPod touch their only "go everywhere" devices and see the tablet as a smaller, lighter notebook with the advantage of a multitouch display. In that case a 10" tablet may be on its way.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't consider a device that was 4" x 6" to be a go everywhere device either. It may fit in some pockets, but it would still be the most uncomfortable thing in the world (I guess would work well with purses though). I held off on the iPhone because I was worried it wouldn't pocket well due to its width, turns out I was completely wrong on that account but I can't imagine pocketing even a 7" tablet for any significant period of time. I don't see many differences in the usage habits with a 7" or a 10" screen. Of course Apple could be making something smaller than 10" but then we have to come up with new guesses at what all the 10" screens Apple ordered are for.

Also it wouldn't mean another bag to carry. It would mean you would have to carry A bag. There are a lot of situations where people already have a bag (students come to mind again, but they woould have to be carefull to not canabalize macbook sales).

I guess at the end of the day, we disagree with what the intended purpose of the tablet would be. My view is similar to what you say in your last paragraph.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #167 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What? A lot of people have been saying this for a while, and I was one of the first. If fact that amount I was convinced, and still am that this is inevitable has caused reaction in the past to call me, at the very least, arrogant. Though I don't care what they say. Just as when a few of us here was saying the iPhone was pretty much a given, there was a huge % here that said we were idiots. I have fun with people's reactions here, they can be so easily given to fits of rage

There's no way Apple will ever manufacture and sell TVs. Where's the market and how do they differentiate and compete with commodity appliance makers like Samsung, Sharp, Sony, LG, etc.?

It's better and makes more sense if Apple makes devices that can connect to ANY TV, any technology (LCD, Plasma, projector, etc.), any size or price.

The TV and any current Mac can connect to any TV set that has DVI or VGA ports. I connect my MacBook Pro to my 40" Sony HDTV and it looks great.
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
Macintosh: It just WORKS!
Reply
post #168 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Not when I looked. Earlier it was 589,000+. What, you think I can't read numbers?

I don't know, can you read this?
post #169 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

There's no way Apple will ever manufacture and sell TVs.

There's no way I'm going through this again.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #170 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What? A lot of people have been saying this for a while, and I was one of the first. If fact that amount I was convinced, and still am that this is inevitable has caused reaction in the past to call me, at the very least, arrogant. Though I don't care what they say. Just as when a few of us here was saying the iPhone was pretty much a given, there was a huge % here that said we were idiots. I have fun with people's reactions here, they can be so easily given to fits of rage

WELL they already sells TV's minus the tuner. If they can match my MBP 15" screen quality and brightness then it will be a winner. Apple will have to offer some incredible twist like build in WIFI N OR SUPER FAST REACTION FOR GAMERS..

9

I brought my 15" mac to best buy and Apple won the day by a mile .

The tablet might not work if it gets so hot like MBP AND IMACS. I wonder how they will work out the chip heat problem.I
cooked frozen pizza on my MBP the other night;

OH well dream on i guess
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #171 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

i just got 239,000 results!

Something happened, and I don't know what it is. When I looked, I was looking at my wife's machine, and noticed the number. I mentioned it to her, and she read it as well. I doubt that her machine was the only one with a "special" listing.
post #172 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Rocket man plays in the back ground....


lol!
post #173 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Something happened, and I don't know what it is. When I looked, I was looking at my wife's machine, and noticed the number. I mentioned it to her, and she read it as well. I doubt that her machine was the only one with a "special" listing.

LOL. Who knows. Maybe the number keeps changing... Or maybe there was some different search you accidentally did...
post #174 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No- not at all. I've always thought this would be Apple's answer to the small formed netbook/ ultra portable ever since I saw a Kindle. I never thought much of the MBA and think this will kill it but that it(MBA) helped in the R&D for this as other have noted. I'm very excited about it- I am now going to hold off on my 13"MBP purchase until after the Sept announcements. The smaller the form the better for me. I've wanted something between 7"- 12" for a very long time from Apple.
Does anyone think we'll be able to boot up Windows on it? Run parallels/bootcamp on it?

Leave that to the jailbreakers and hackers. I hope the hackers hack the living hell out of the device because that will just open the possibilities even further. In fact, I really hope the device inspires the hackers to WANT to work on it because that will indicate whether we have a hit on our hands or not.

Do you think all the jailbreakers and app store coders were forced to work on the iphone? They wanted to. If they're excited to work on the apple tablet once they see it then we'll have a good indicator of it's success. It won't be the only indicator of course.
post #175 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I would be quite happy if Apple were able to introduce another world-beating device that would sell like hotcakes. IMO, it's too early to introduce something like the rumored tablet. There is no pent-up consumer demand for it... yet. As usual, Apple waits for a market to become firmly established, with a clear demand from consumers before they swoop in with a superior technology and system for information delivery and commerce. The Kindle and all of the other e-ink based displays are in their infancy, just like AppleTV is still in it's infancy. The AppleTV was also a product ahead of its time and has languished thanks to that timing. The iPhone arrived at exactly the right time.

True.

But if you were to also look at the market for "netbooks" then you can consider the pent up demand for them.
There is a demand for them but at the same time the market acknowledges the various annoyances of what is essentially a micro laptop. I think Apple sees right through this netbook craze and sees what the market really wants in this case. And they have designed a device around that conclusion.
And as a side effect it's going to kill the kindle.
post #176 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Something happened, and I don't know what it is. When I looked, I was looking at my wife's machine, and noticed the number. I mentioned it to her, and she read it as well. I doubt that her machine was the only one with a "special" listing.

DUDE I GOT 238000
you have a special browser that looks in the future also
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #177 of 202
Guys, you're searching the wrong term, the device is not for sale yet.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #178 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I don't know, can you read this?

That's when you read it.
post #179 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

LOL. Who knows. Maybe the number keeps changing... Or maybe there was some different search you accidentally did...

I don't know, but I see that people are getting different numbers, and some of the bigger one were earlier than the later ones, going by post times. So something is fishy.
post #180 of 202
What I see is that you had about 250,000, which you now show as 259,000.

But then naman34 comes in AFTER you with 239,000, and AFTER him, brucep says 238,000.

So go figure that out.

It's as though they're winnowing down the hits. Or changing something in how they're found.

I just did it again, and also got 238,000. I typed iTablet.

Explain that!
post #181 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I see is that you had about 250,000, which you now show as 259,000.

But then naman34 comes in AFTER you with 239,000, and AFTER him, brucep says 238,000.

So go figure that out.

It's as though they're winnowing down the hits. Or changing something in how they're found.

I just did it again, and also got 238,000. I typed iTablet.

Explain that!

I got 245,000 just now. All I would take from the results is that the numbers are in the mid 200,000 range. If someone got 500,000, it was an anomaly.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #182 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I got 245,000 just now. All I would take from the results is that the numbers are in the mid 200,000 range. If someone got 500,000, it was an anomaly.

Results 1 - 10 of about 238,000 for itablet. (0.44 seconds)
Search Results
News results for itablet
NEWS FLASH apple tv on the way
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #183 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well saying Apple will create an airplane for years won't likely ever be eventually right. So if we do end up being right, you could say we were right, just ahead of our time. Telling us we have been saying this for a long time is a compliment, not an insult. Anyway being right is neither here nor there, the reason I was wishing for this device for a long time is because I personally wanted it. When it does eventually come along I won't have the money for it, lol.

Given that it's been pretty much assumed that eventually, Apple will do a tablet...after all, there is a ModBook out there already so some kind of market exists.

So it was never really a matter of if but a matter of when and what it's going to be like and therefore your prescience isn't all that impressive in this case.
post #184 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Here it is:

iNetbook rerendered
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotoboer/3226244527

First picture of:
Next Apple moves will be Books and Games
http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

Eek.

If it comes out in such tablet form, I bet it will have "broken" qwerty keyboard - half of it on each screen size, so thumb-typing while holding device with both hands will be possible.

Or. A sensor that detects two-hands hold and adjusts on-screen keyboard accordingly, while restoring it to the lower-central part of the screen for single-handed holding. And of course, orientation sensor (but that goes without saying).

If they don't come up with anything really smart and different, it will be just lame oversized iPod Touch clone.
post #185 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

for those here who are so in love with the thought that netbooks are selling well, you should know that they have one of the highest rates of return of any product category. Some estimates are 40%

people are very disappointed with netbooks. And with the cheapest laptops dropping to the $350 point for units that aren't on sale, i wonder how long the netbook fad will last.

10... 9... 8...

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #186 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't consider a device that was 4" x 6" to be a go everywhere device either. It may fit in some pockets, but it would still be the most uncomfortable thing in the world (I guess would work well with purses though). I held off on the iPhone because I was worried it wouldn't pocket well due to its width, turns out I was completely wrong on that account but I can't imagine pocketing even a 7" tablet for any significant period of time. I don't see many differences in the usage habits with a 7" or a 10" screen. Of course Apple could be making something smaller than 10" but then we have to come up with new guesses at what all the 10" screens Apple ordered are for.

Also it wouldn't mean another bag to carry. It would mean you would have to carry A bag. There are a lot of situations where people already have a bag (students come to mind again, but they woould have to be carefull to not canabalize macbook sales).

I guess at the end of the day, we disagree with what the intended purpose of the tablet would be. My view is similar to what you say in your last paragraph.

5.5"x8.5" is the sweet spot. This is not a randomly chosen number. It's the size of some of the most popular paper planners made. Any larger sized Apple products should fit within the norms of proven popular sizes of objects that people have been using for many years. The sizes of hands, fingers and humans in general don't change that often. Human factors must be considered.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #187 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

5.5"x8.5" is the sweet spot. This is not a randomly chosen number. It's the size of some of the most popular paper planners made.

LOL, I read paper planes. Was thinking that was funny logic to use!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #188 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

LOL, I read paper planes. Was thinking that was funny logic to use!

Paper planes are pretty sweet too.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #189 of 202
As I grow older, my eyesight is not what it used to be. I'd like the tablet to be the size of a hard back book.
I haven't read this entire thread, so this may have already been discussed. Could the tablet incorporate eInk, so that we could download books? Then, absolutely, I'd want it to be the size of a hard cover book.

Edit: From ZDNet
Will Apple's rumored tablet be an 'iPod touch DX'? It's all about perception.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews...96&tag=nl.e540

This answers my question:
Make no mistake, Amazon’s worried. Their Kindle devices are perceived as a luxury, especially the DX model, and have nowhere near as much versatility packed into them as Apple’s mobile devices. The iPod touch can handle music, video and the Web with aplomb, and — that’s right — e-book reading is faithfully reproduced, despite lacking the more preferable E-Ink technology of Amazon’s device
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #190 of 202
What I'd love to see is the manufacturers get those bendable OLED screens finished.

I want to get a device that has a 9.7" diag. screen in a 4.25" x 6" device. One that is a clamshell. Two equal sides. Close it like a book. Press a button (or use a magnetic latch), and it unfolds to give the full screen, and locks in place.

The center where the screen bends could be shaped in such a way that when closed, the screen wouldn't be bent too sharply.

If each side is a half inch thick, it would work out fine. The device could then easily fit in a belt pouch.
post #191 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I'd love to see is the manufacturers get those bendable OLED screens finished.

I want to get a device that has a 9.7" diag. screen in a 4.25" x 6" device. One that is a clamshell. Two equal sides. Close it like a book. Press a button (or use a magnetic latch), and it unfolds to give the full screen, and locks in place.

The center where the screen bends could be shaped in such a way that when closed, the screen wouldn't be bent too sharply.

If each side is a half inch thick, it would work out fine. The device could then easily fit in a belt pouch.

along with a sprig or two of athelas and a few gold pieces, right?

i like the idea, though, and following on from a poster above, around the size of a trade hardback or a touch larger?
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #192 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by sennen View Post

along with a sprig or two of athelas and a few gold pieces, right?

i like the idea, though, and following on from a poster above, around the size of a trade hardback or a touch larger?

Well sure. A few sprigs are always good.

For some reason, I couldn't think of "case".

A trade book is much bigger. The typical paperback is 4" x 6.25".

Open it would be about 8.5" x 6". That would be a bit smaller than the average trade pub softcover.
post #193 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I'd love to see is the manufacturers get those bendable OLED screens finished.

I want to get a device that has a 9.7" diag. screen in a 4.25" x 6" device. One that is a clamshell. Two equal sides. Close it like a book. Press a button (or use a magnetic latch), and it unfolds to give the full screen, and locks in place.

The center where the screen bends could be shaped in such a way that when closed, the screen wouldn't be bent too sharply.

If each side is a half inch thick, it would work out fine. The device could then easily fit in a belt pouch.

Melgross,

please copy or make a similar post about this in the threads we have in the future hardware section. But I totally totally agree with you on this. It would make the product own the industry for several years!
post #194 of 202
I want the tablet to run Mac OS X. Not iPhone OS X. iPhone OS X is more of a niche market and is specialised for the iPhone and iPod Touch solely due to screen size IMO.
post #195 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Melgross,

please copy or make a similar post about this in the threads we have in the future hardware section. But I totally totally agree with you on this. It would make the product own the industry for several years!

Anyone can say it. I take no credit for it.
post #196 of 202
Oooh may the tablet come soon.
post #197 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What I'd love to see is the manufacturers get those bendable OLED screens finished.

I want to get a device that has a 9.7" diag. screen in a 4.25" x 6" device. One that is a clamshell. Two equal sides. Close it like a book. Press a button (or use a magnetic latch), and it unfolds to give the full screen, and locks in place.

The center where the screen bends could be shaped in such a way that when closed, the screen wouldn't be bent too sharply.

If each side is a half inch thick, it would work out fine. The device could then easily fit in a belt pouch.

Yes to your first point. Belt pouch? No way!
post #198 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Eek.

If it comes out in such tablet form, I bet it will have "broken" qwerty keyboard - half of it on each screen size, so thumb-typing while holding device with both hands will be possible.

Or. A sensor that detects two-hands hold and adjusts on-screen keyboard accordingly, while restoring it to the lower-central part of the screen for single-handed holding. And of course, orientation sensor (but that goes without saying).

If they don't come up with anything really smart and different, it will be just lame oversized iPod Touch clone.

+1. I wouldn't want an oversized iPod Touch. It's disgusting.
post #199 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSStateStudent View Post

Yes to your first point. Belt pouch? No way!

Well, pouch wasn't the best choice of words.

But I have always worn my phones on my belt. I won't put them in pockets unless it's the middle of winter and I have to put in my coat pocket when outside.
post #200 of 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, pouch wasn't the best choice of words.

But I have always worn my phones on my belt. I won't put them in pockets unless it's the middle of winter and I have to put in my coat pocket when outside.

Unfortunately, sorry to disagree with you but because I'm a student, I find putting phones on belt clips rather last year and old fashioned. I prefer to slip my textured SpeckCase 3GS into a Crumpler phone pouch and slip it into my pockets IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as September