or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft plans to use Windows 7 to raise netbook prices
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft plans to use Windows 7 to raise netbook prices - Page 4

post #121 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Only theives do this shitty move .

How can you say that when apple charges nearly 2 grand fir their piece of under powered tin, the MacBook air?!?!?!

Google osx86.

Good luck.
post #122 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Do they care? Absolutely! Do it affect their bottomline at this point? Nope. But they have to look toward the future. Mac OS X is a gaining momentum. The iPod/iPhone halo effect, the move to Intel so one can install XP as a dual-boot, and internets move to OS-agnostic and browser-agnostic coding have all helped make the transition easier....

I agree. And to add to your statement, for every percent or fraction of a percent MS loses in their cash cow, that's money they can't invest in future endeavors. They'll have to entrench, hunker down and defend their main turf. In short, lose their appendages(web searching, zune...) to save the body(OS)
post #123 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

M$ is software, Apple is hardware (though these days, more about gadgets than anything).

Actually, Apple is hardware and software. That's what makes them unique and able to dominate the high end market.

Quote:
Anyhow. Its my opinion that they two don't affect each other. They really shouldn't. Apples and Oranges. The rivalry is all made up in people's heads, thanks to the think-tank at Apple.

Of course they affect each other. In OS and applications. Do you think Windows would exist without Apple? Do you think Window's 7 task bar would look remotely like it does without the OSX dock? Would the Zune exist without the iPod?

Even in Microsoft's own products, the Mac version of office often has features well before the Windows version.

And in the mobile space they are absolutely competing, but MS is doing such a poor job at it, it's really hard to tell

Quote:
Apple is hardware (though these days, more about gadgets than anything).

I quoted this again because although I know you probably meant it as a criticism, it's important. Apple is focusing on "gadgets" because a frontal assault on Microsoft over desktops and laptops, at this point, is useless. If Apple were going to be able to change people's minds about what desktop or laptop to use based on it's merits it would have happened by now.

So that's why you see them going all out in portable personal devices. The iPod was a fluke, but it opened Job's eye to the "next big thing". Portable personal devices like iPods and the iPhone have the potential to ship many more units then desktops and laptops will ever. The traditional computer market is saturated (witness MS's last two quarters of falling income) but the whole converged personal assistant market is wide open - and Apple is positioning themselves to own it. That will do more to shore up Apple's traditional business via the "halo effect" then "focusing on the Mac" or anything else they can do.
post #124 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

How can you say that when apple charges nearly 2 grand fir their piece of under powered tin, the MacBook air?!?!?!

Power isn't everything. Some people (myself included) are more then willing to pay a premium for small size and weight by compromising power.

Just because it's not important to you doesn't mean it's not worth something to someone else. Every time I go into the Apple store, I see at least one person leaving with an Air - you always see people clustered around them at the table.

Heck, it's #35 on the Amazon sales charts - and that's across all brands of notesbooks, not just Apple.
post #125 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple dominates the $1000+ notebook market, confined mostly to purchases made from physical stores (Best Buy, etc.)

That only means that Apple is just too expensive.
post #126 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinSuD View Post

That only means that Apple is just too expensive.

Welcome back iPhone1984/SeahawkFan.
post #127 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinSuD View Post

That only means that Apple is just too expensive.

This would be the case IF marketshare decreased. Unfortunately for your theory, marketshare and number of Mac sold has been increasing year after year since 2003.

So I guess this means you are just plain wrong. It must be frustrating being a Vista 7 fan these days, isn't it ?
post #128 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

This would be the case IF marketshare decreased. Unfortunately for your theory, marketshare and number of Mac sold has been increasing year after year since 2003.

So I guess this means you are just plain wrong. It must be frustrating being a Vista 7 fan these days, isn't it ?

Replying with logic and facts dont work with those posters. They only see what they want to see. If Apple is making money they say, That is because Apple is taking advantage of their customers. If Apple were losing money they say, That is because Apple is charging to much for their crap so people arent buying. If Apple lowers the price point of a product they say, That is because Apple got caught raping their customers. These are just bitter people who anything that is successful because they themselves arent.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft plans to use Windows 7 to raise netbook prices