or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Report: Netflix streaming video headed to iPhone, Wii
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Report: Netflix streaming video headed to iPhone, Wii

post #1 of 91
Thread Starter 
Citing an unnamed source described as "an industry executive familiar with Netflixs plans," an industry trade journal is claiming that Netflix will soon offer its Watch Instantly streaming video service on the iPhone, iPod touch and the Nintendo Wii.

The brief report by Multichannel News describes the move as the next step for Netflix' content, which currently streams to Windows PCs, Macs, the Xbox 360, TiVo DVRs, the Roku, and certain TV and Blu-Ray players built to support video downloads.

Netflix Watch Instantly vs iTunes

Unlike Netflix' DVDs-by-mail service, its Watch Instantly library offers much less variety, with limited popular content such as recent movies and TV series. Its older titles and oddball independent films are available for immediate viewing however. The Watch Instantly service is also included for viewing at no extra cost over the base Netflix subscription, in contrast to iTunes' pay per view pricing.

Unlike media purchased or rented from iTunes, Netflix' streaming content plays back directly with no download. That requires no local storage on the playback device, but results in playback quality that is dependent upon the available network bandwidth. With iTunes and the Apple TV, content is progressively downloaded, enabling users to obtain HD content even with a slower connection, albeit with a longer wait.

Having a movie downloaded locally before or during playback makes reviewing or fast forwarding scenes quick and fluid. Netflix' streaming video has to stop to buffer the stream if it is paused or the playback point is changed, and simply can't do anything if a network outage occurs. In contrast, an Apple TV can be loaded with content and unplugged for remote playback, just like an iPod.

The advantage of Netflix' instantly streaming video is that little or no storage is required. If the iPhone and Wii are powerful enough to decode the live stream, customers may appreciate having a number of titles to watch on demand without consuming any available storage space, or in the case of the Wii, without needing to add some type of offline storage.

Hardware acceleration and mobile network access

Netflix uses Microsoft's DRM to protect playback of its streaming video, which requires Windows Media Player or Microsoft's Silverlight web plugin, which is akin to Adobe Flash. Dedicated devices like the Roku box use hardware decompression to deliver low cost playback.

Whether the iPhone or Wii could decode quality video only using software may be an issue, as Netflix playback even on the more powerful Apple TV has been cited by some as not practical due to its lack of any Windows Media codec hardware acceleration.

Video playback over AT&T's mobile network would likely also be prohibited by any Netflix streaming player app, making any iPhone version WiFi only, in line with other video streaming apps such as SlingPlayer Mobile.

Potential for HTTP Live Streaming

As a workaround to the iPhone's intentionally missing support for Windows DRM, Netflix could also take a page from Google and leverage the native support in iPhone 3.0 for HTTP Live Streaming, which plays streaming video to the iPhone and iPod Touch using standard MPEG AAC/H.264 codecs over familiar web-based protocols.

At the launch of the iPhone, Google shifted its Flash-based YouTube service to also support H.264 at Apple's behest, allowing the iPhone to skirt the primary need for Flash playback while also delivering high performance, hardware accelerated video playback using open protocols.

Support for HTTP Live Streaming will also be built into QuickTime X playback for Snow Leopard, and appears to be slated for adoption in the next revision of Apple TV. Third parties will also be able to implement HTTP Live Streaming on their own devices.
post #2 of 91
How long before AT&T pulls the plug on this one?
post #3 of 91
Resistance is futile.
post #4 of 91
I'm certainly all for getting rid of Microsoft's version of DRM and the necessity for Silverlight on a Mac, but what would Netflix use instead? They can't simply stream everything out unprotected, as people would simply make copies of everything.

Unless they become the first licensee of Fairplay (that I know of), what other options does Netflix have?
post #5 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

How long before AT&T pulls the plug on this one?

Did you read the article?
post #6 of 91
Netflix doesn't need DRM to stream to the iPhone. There is no way to record or divert the stream


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I'm certainly all for getting rid of Microsoft's version of DRM and the necessity for Silverlight on a Mac, but what would Netflix use instead? They can't simply stream everything out unprotected, as people would simply make copies of everything.

Unless they become the first licensee of Fairplay (that I know of), what other options does Netflix have?
post #7 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Netflix doesn't need DRM to stream to the iPhone. There is no way to record or divert the stream

that's what I was thinking....

Just trained back home - watching an iNetflix movie would have been nice...
post #8 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

that's what I was thinking....

Just trained back home - watching an iNetflix movie would have been nice...

Given Apple & AT&T's reluctance to allow Slingbox (Streaming Video) I don't see this ever happening.

Apple wants you to use iTunes and nothing else for revenue reasons (even as lousy as there HD is). You are in a closed Apple World. That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

Edit. Not to mention the fact that Netflix uses Windows DRM. Yeah, like Jobs would allow that on the iPhone.

It would be like saying... Nobody is really using iTunes so we will use Microsoft's DRM on the iPhone.
That is why we don't have Flash on the iPhone.

No Revenue to Apple means you are being kept in a closed Apple confined world.
post #9 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

C'ya...

I'm loving my closed Apple confined world.

sincerely, fanboi
post #10 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Given Apple & AT&T's reluctance to allow Slingbox (Streaming Video) I don't see this ever happening.

Apple wants you to use iTunes and nothing else for revenue reasons (even as lousy as there HD is). You are in a closed Apple World. That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

Edit. Not to mention the fact that Netflix uses Windows DRM. Yeah, like Jobs would allow that on the iPhone.

It would be like saying... Nobody is really using iTunes so we will use Microsoft's DRM on the iPhone.
That is why we don't have Flash on the iPhone.

No Revenue to Apple means you are being kept in a closed Apple confined world.

Another person that didn't bother to read the article.
post #11 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Given Apple & AT&T's reluctance to allow Slingbox (Streaming Video) I don't see this ever happening.

Apple wants you to use iTunes and nothing else for revenue reasons (even as lousy as there HD is). You are in a closed Apple World. That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

While I agree that Apple's closed ecosystem is designed to enhance revenue, it isn't completely closed. I watch tons of content from other sources on my iPhone. It just requires a file (rather than streaming) which I can convert to the iTunes format.

Not that I would ever torrent anything, but if I did, it would be a snap to convert the AVI file to MPEG-4 and import it to iTunes.
post #12 of 91
should be a great hit. at&t says i have an unlimited data plan. except for things like tethering, and downloading large iphone apps, and mms and -- i'll go out on a ledge here -- this.
post #13 of 91
There is little Apple or AT&T can do to block http live streaming. Streaming video to the iPhone does not need DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Given Apple & AT&T's reluctance to allow Slingbox (Streaming Video) I don't see this ever happening.

Apple wants you to use iTunes and nothing else for revenue reasons (even as lousy as there HD is). You are in a closed Apple World. That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

Edit. Not to mention the fact that Netflix uses Windows DRM. Yeah, like Jobs would allow that on the iPhone.

It would be like saying... Nobody is really using iTunes so we will use Microsoft's DRM on the iPhone.
That is why we don't have Flash on the iPhone.

No Revenue to Apple means you are being kept in a closed Apple confined world.
post #14 of 91
If AT&T allows this to go thru, then everybody will be allowed. And if that happens, making phone calls or using internet will become a headache, just like cable is a headache.

Video streaming should NOT be allowed on the iPhone. If you want to watch movie, stay your ass at home. There is already enough distractions on the road. No damn video streaming.
post #15 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If AT&T allows this to go thru, then everybody will be allowed. And if that happens, making phone calls or using internet will become a headache, just like cable is a headache.

Video streaming should NOT be allowed on the iPhone. If you want to watch movie, stay your ass at home. There is already enough distractions on the road. No damn video streaming.

Yes because all iPhone users only commute by car. And no one but the driver in the car has an iPhone.
post #16 of 91
I doubt this will be available to users outside the U.S. Canadians have been waiting for Hulu and cbs.com content to be made available and keep getting the same empty promises.

Seriously, with the exception of iTunes removing DRM from music in all countries at once, non-Americans always get the shaft from Big Content, who can't get their s*** together in more than one country at a time.
post #17 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

There is little Apple or AT&T can do to block http live streaming. Streaming video to the iPhone does not need DRM.

Yes I did read the Video and unless (currently) they Video is is QuickTime (W ich is dead to the rest the world) or YouTube which has to be converted and can only be viewed on the iphone.

Live with Steve dragging his skinny Ass upgrading potention virus Risks and know that you will NEVER HAVE STREAMING WITH ANYTHING THAT IS A COMPETING STANDARD.

DUMB A?? SHEEP.
post #18 of 91
Netflix on the iPod touch would be a minor miracle. I've been waiting for them to offer something for pre-Intel Mac owners to no avail. Keep going in this direction, Netflix!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #19 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If AT&T allows this to go thru, then everybody will be allowed. And if that happens, making phone calls or using internet will become a headache, just like cable is a headache.

Video streaming should NOT be allowed on the iPhone. If you want to watch movie, stay your ass at home. There is already enough distractions on the road. No damn video streaming.

You're hilarious! So the only time people are watching video on the iPhone is when their driving? LOL.

What I don't understand from these services is why don't they just use the browser in Safari instead of making an app. Slingbox for the Mac already forces you to watch it through Sling.com. Why don't Sling and Netflix follow suit?
post #20 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

If AT&T allows this to go thru, then everybody will be allowed. And if that happens, making phone calls or using internet will become a headache, just like cable is a headache.

Video streaming should NOT be allowed on the iPhone. If you want to watch movie, stay your ass at home. There is already enough distractions on the road. No damn video streaming.

HTC is about to release a phone witch full Adobe Flash on it. It does Multi-Tasking and you can watch HULU on it as well as anything in Windows Media Format.

WinMo (6.5) will be known as Windows Phone and as for now Windows 7 will also be Windows Phone.

End licensers can pick and choose what they want their phone to do. Kind of sounds like Google but not Free.
.
Google Donut will be multi touch as well as have full Flash compatibily.

Can anyone say Motorola RAZR?
post #21 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

You're hilarious! So the only time people are watching video on the iPhone is when their driving? LOL.

What I don't understand from these services is why don't they just use the browser in Safari instead of making an app. Slingbox for the Mac already forces you to watch it through Sling.com. Why don't Sling and Netflix follow suit?

Because of Apple. No other reason. They gain no revenue so you are screwed into paying for their POS Video which can't even be compared with 720p. It looks more like VHS.
post #22 of 91
iPhone web apps are completely forgotten. If Netflix create a web app with live streaming then Apple and AT&T can do nothing about it.
post #23 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

iPhone web apps are completely forgotten. If Netflix create a web app with live streaming then Apple and AT&T can do nothing about it.

ROFLMAO

It still requires Safari codec to play the Video (or an iPhone Codec). NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

YOU ARE IN A CLOSED WORLD.
post #24 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Given Apple & AT&T's reluctance to allow Slingbox (Streaming Video) I don't see this ever happening.

Spoken like a Windows troll.

Since it's only on WIFI, it has NOTHING to do with AT&T.

Also, have you bothered to see that Netflix is also available to us Mac users?

This is a precursor to the Apple tablet; in a few months the tablet will finally arrive, users will be watching video on it, and once again Microsloth will be wondering why their stock prices continue to drop, while Apple's continue to climb and marketshare increases.

By the way, your not buying another iPhone won't really be a problem, considering millions of others will do so gladly.
post #25 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

ROFLMAO

It still requires Safari codec to play the Video (or an iPhone Codec). NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

YOU ARE IN A CLOSED WORLD.

The iPhone have native support for H.264 video format. No need for a decode. Right now you can watch videos inside webpages using your iPhone with Safari. If you have an iPhone you would know that already.
post #26 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Can anyone say Motorola RAZR?

Can anyone say, "Nobody cares?" Looked at Motorola's cell phone marketshare lately?
post #27 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by longterm View Post

Spoken like a Windows troll.

Since it's only on WIFI, it has NOTHING to do with AT&T.

Also, have you bothered to see that Netflix is also available to us Mac users?

This is a precursor to the Apple tablet; in a few months the tablet will finally arrive, users will be watching video on it, and once again Microsloth will be wondering why their stock prices continue to drop, while Apple's continue to climb and marketshare increases.

By the way, your not buying another iPhone won't really be a problem, considering millions of others will do so gladly.

Not a troll for the iPhone (just for the Mac computer) and you are correct, Netflix & Flash are available on the Mac. BUT WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE ON THE IPHONE and if they are they will be WiFi only (unlike the Blackberry and WinMo).

Buy the way, Flash has always sucked on the Mac.
post #28 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

HTC is about to release a phone witch full Adobe Flash on it. It does Multi-Tasking and you can watch HULU on it as well as anything in Windows Media Format.

WinMo (6.5) will be known as Windows Phone and as for now Windows 7 will also be Windows Phone.

End licensers can pick and choose what they want their phone to do. Kind of sounds like Google but not Free.
.
Google Donut will be multi touch as well as have full Flash compatibily.

Can anyone say Motorola RAZR?

I know there are people who would like Flash on the iPhone but it runs like crap on a cellphone (and a Mac). If you don't believe me read Engadget's review of the HTC Hero. They have a video of it running Flash and looks like he watching a flipbook. He even called it unbearable.
post #29 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Given Apple & AT&T's reluctance to allow Slingbox (Streaming Video) I don't see this ever happening.

Apple wants you to use iTunes and nothing else for revenue reasons (even as lousy as there HD is). You are in a closed Apple World. That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

Edit. Not to mention the fact that Netflix uses Windows DRM. Yeah, like Jobs would allow that on the iPhone.

It would be like saying... Nobody is really using iTunes so we will use Microsoft's DRM on the iPhone.
That is why we don't have Flash on the iPhone.

No Revenue to Apple means you are being kept in a closed Apple confined world.

Funny. I just got through watching my TV through the Slingbox app on my iphone. Apple pushed the Slingbox software through with wifi only support because of AT&T. The slingbox app will work at the free AT&T hotspots though.

[edit] maybe you should reword your post to say AT&T's reluctance to allow streaming over the 3G network...because streaming over wifi is still considered streaming.
post #30 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by baduncan View Post

Funny. I just got through watching my TV through Slingbox on my iphone. Apple pushed the Slingbox software throughwith wifi only support because of AT&T. The slingbox app will work at the free AT&T hotspots though.

[edit] maybe you should reword your post to say AT&T's reluctance to allow streaming over the 3G network...because streaming over wifi is still considered streaming.

Read my last post and as every other analyst has said "They are in a Partnership".

It's not AT&T or Apple. They both agree to the terms of the contract.

Yes, terms can be renegotiated (Especially with the 3GD) but Apple either choose not to or if fine with the terms.

You are in a closed World because Apple & AT&T want it that way.

Which leaves iPhone users screwed to a Close Loop AT&T World. And if the Tablet does ever come out with Verizon it will be the same thing.

Pay 699.00 + and be tied into another contract. Yes, Apple really does care about its end users.

They care about their money.
post #31 of 91
HAHA iPhone1984 is so off is rocker and hasn’t once had a correct or valid argument this entire thread. But I do admire his perseverance in the face of facts and logic. I wish I could be that ignorantly bliss, sans the irrational hatred for a company’s product.
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Read my last post and as every other analyst has said "They are in a Partnership".

It's not AT&T or Apple. They both agree to the terms of the contract.

Yes, terms can be renegotiated (Especially with the 3GD) but Apple either choose not to or if fine with the terms.

You are in a closed World because Apple & AT&T want it that way.

Which leaves iPhone users screwed to a Close Loop AT&T World. And if the Tablet does ever come out with Verizon it will be the same thing.

Pay 699.00 + and be tied into another contract. Yes, Apple really does care about its end users.

They care about their money.

I agree that Apple has recently starting to become real greedy at the expense of their end user. The only real answer for the iPhone is to be available on multiple carriers. The exclusivity deals have to come to an end. Hopefully the FCC can help facilitate it.

The tablet though may be a different story. It may be exclusive but it will be running on Verizon's 4G network. Hopefully there should be enough bandwidth for streaming apps over their network. That being said I'll never buy one. I've had it with carriers having a say in what is on my phone.
post #33 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Yes I did read the Video and unless (currently) they Video is is QuickTime (W ich is dead to the rest the world) or YouTube which has to be converted and can only be viewed on the iphone.

Live with Steve dragging his skinny Ass upgrading potention virus Risks and know that you will NEVER HAVE STREAMING WITH ANYTHING THAT IS A COMPETING STANDARD.

DUMB A?? SHEEP.

First, how about no name calling. Usually the first to lose their cool loses the argument.

Second, you simply failed to comprehend the article, and people's responses. Read, don't skim. On the iPhone, it's not about some alleged proprietary Quicktime, it's about using an open standard.

YouTube (and Flash, Silverlight and the rest of the world) is moving to h.264 anyway, no conversion should be necessary.
post #34 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Video streaming should NOT be allowed on the iPhone. If you want to watch movie, stay your ass at home. There is already enough distractions on the road. No damn video streaming.

I have a thought: How about if you decide what you want on your iPhone but keep your cotton picking hands off of my iPhone? Stop dictating how others should be allowed to use the product they bought. Maybe, just maybe, a PASSENGER in a car should be allowed to watch a movie? Or a traveler stuck at an airport? Or in a hotel? Never thought of that, eh? Please put your brain in gear before posting next time. Thanks.
post #35 of 91
I can't even get AT&T to let me make a call all the way through without dropping out...but I'm gonna stream a movie? Good luck.

Apple should just start buying these dudes up. Buy adobe, buy netflix, buy all of them like microsoft buys everybody else. Why not? F rom what I hear they surely got the money. Save them all the headaches and legal stuff in the long run.
post #36 of 91
You really have no idea of what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

Yes I did read the Video and unless (currently) they Video is is QuickTime (W ich is dead to the rest the world) or YouTube which has to be converted and can only be viewed on the iphone.

Live with Steve dragging his skinny Ass upgrading potention virus Risks and know that you will NEVER HAVE STREAMING WITH ANYTHING THAT IS A COMPETING STANDARD.

DUMB A?? SHEEP.
post #37 of 91
"So Flash is kind of a big deal on new smartphones. The iPhone doesn't have it, the Pre doesn't have it, BlackBerry devices don't have it... but the Hero does. Unfortunately, in our testing, we found the inclusion actually hurts operation of the phone more than it helps. When browsing to a site heavy on Flash (there are many), the browser loading times were abysmal. Furthermore, trying to view videos in-window produced choppy, nearly unwatchable results. You may have a better experience with lighter kinds of content, but in our opinion the main reason to introduce Flash into a mobile environment is to allow for broader media viewing options, and in the current state of this Flash player, you're not really going to get much mileage out of it."

Engadget HTC Hero review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

HTC is about to release a phone witch full Adobe Flash on it.
post #38 of 91
What is Apple doing that has been greedy at the expense of the end user?

Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I agree that Apple has recently starting to become real greedy at the expense of their end user.
post #39 of 91
I think this rumor is unlikely. Not only because it competes directly with iTunes, but also because it's kind if pointless.

Think about it - no 3G support from AT&T means you'd be limited to WiFi, and you need a good connection as well, at least 1 - 2 mbps constant, even for the iPhone screen. Not something you'd get at your local 'free wi-fi' Mall. So you'll be using it at home then.

Oh, and streaming WiFi video, not exactly battery friendly, so it'll be plugged in then,

Ah... so how many people will use their iPhone to stream netflicks at home, as opposed to their computer or Xbox?

Exactly...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #40 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone1982 View Post

That is why my next phone will not be an iPhone.

Well, hurry up already and get your new non-Apple phone, and go away. You're utter lack of reading comprehension and repetition here have become tedious.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Report: Netflix streaming video headed to iPhone, Wii