or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard

post #1 of 132
Apple released the next -- and potentially last -- upgrade to its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system Wednesday afternoon, bringing minor tweaks before the debut of Snow Leopard in September.

The latest update to Leopard includes security fixes, improves Bluetooth reliability, and upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2. It is available for Mac users via software update, or a 274MB file for download from Apple. The combo update is also available at 759MB.

"The Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update is recommended for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard users and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac," reads an Apple statement.

Also released Wednesday were Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 (274MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Tiger on Power PC (76MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Server Tiger on Power PC (130MB), Security Update 2009-003 for Server Tiger Universal (204MB), and Security Update 2009-003 for Tiger on Intel 166MB.

Mac OS X 10.5.8

The list of fixes for Leopard are as follows:

Upgrades Safari to version 4.0.2.
Improves the accuracy of full history search in Safari 4.
Resolves an issue in which certain resolutions might not appear in the Display pane in System Preferences.
Dragging an Aperture image into Automator now invokes an Aperture action instead of incorrectly invoking an iPhoto action.
Resolves an issue that could prevent importing of large photo and movie files from digital cameras.
Improves overall Bluetooth reliability with external devices, USB webcams and printers.
Addresses an issue that could cause extended startup times.
Improves iCal reliability with MobileMe Sync and CalDav.
Addresses data reliability issues with iDisk and MobileMe.
Improves overall reliability with AFP.
Improves overall reliability with Managed Client.
Improves compatibility and reliability for joining AirPort networks.
Improves Sync Service reliability.
Includes additional RAW image support for several third-party cameras.
Improves compatibility with some external USB hard drives.
Includes latest security fixes.

Last week, developers were supplied with build 9L30 of the beta. It featured only minor fixes, suggesting the release of 10.5.8 was imminent.

Mac OS X Server 10.5.8

The update for Server includes the following fixes:

AFP Server
Fixes an issue that could cause the AppleFileServer process to keep the server's processor busy even when no users are connected.

AFP Client
Fixes an issue that could cause an AFP client to indefinitely repeat unsuccessful attempts to reconnect to an AFP server after waking from sleep.

Managed Client
Fixes an issue that could prevent managed users from logging in on a PowerPC-based Mac after installing the Mac OS X v10.5.7 Update.
Improves reliability of synchronizing files from a portable home directory to a network home hosted on an SMB server.
Login Items stored in a user's network home directory will now run properly at login.
Simultaneous login is now correctly disallowed if the "Allow simultaneous login" setting is unchecked.

Server Admin
Fixes an issue that could cause Server Admin to stop responding when propagating permissions.
Adds NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for Macs introduced in June 2009.

System Image Utility
Adds NetBoot/NetInstall model filters for Macs introduced in June 2009.

Additional improvements
Improves Mac OS X Server security. For more information about the security content of Mac OS X Server v10.5.8 see this article.
Mac OS X Server v10.5.8 also includes all other improvements delivered in the client Mac OS X 10.5.8 Update.
post #2 of 132
Yaay!
bb
bb
post #3 of 132
Is it snappy? For how long?
post #4 of 132
And the first 10.5.9 beta will drop in how many weeks? I know many have been saying that 10.5.8 is the last point update to Leopard, but I think it’s unlikely given the time after until Snow Leopard, the fact that no PPC-based Mac can get Snow Leopard, and the fact that Apple usually releases one more point update soon after the release of the next major OS update.
post #5 of 132
Not a lot of changes there... I'm almost certain that this is the last 10.5.x update we get before Snow Leopard is released, while 10.5.9 might be coming soon after that.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
You can commit no mistake and still lose. That's not a weakness. That's life.
post #6 of 132
Upgraded. Running fine.
post #7 of 132
Strangely had to reboot twice, system felt a little sluggish the first minutes, but now....

it feels.....
post #8 of 132
I wonder if the update blocks dictionary sites.

jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiognome View Post

Strangely had to reboot twice, system felt a little sluggish the first minutes, but now....

it feels.....

I was surprised to see that video had 32991 keer bekeken
post #9 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I wonder if the update blocks dictionary sites.

I realy hate this song, but every time I read the word 'Snappy' in a comment to a software-upgrade it comes to my head.

Was a big chartbuster here some years ago with lots of airplay (to explain to the non-Dutch readers).

All that I have been through with 10.5.7, iPhone 2.1, 3.0 etc...
With 10.6 I'll probably go mad
post #10 of 132
Huh? The Combo-Update weighs in at 979MB here, downloading from Apple's Site....
------

Disregard that, I'm an idiot....
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
Now running on a 20" aluminium iMac (Fall 2008), as well as a Macboook Pro 13" (mid 2009) and an iPhone.
post #11 of 132
Wrong link for the combo update, the one in the article is to the server combo update. I wonder how many other people will end up downloading almost a gig of the wrong data because of that link.

Here's the right one:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...8_Combo_Update
post #12 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple released the next -- and potentially last -- upgrade to its Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system Wednesday afternoon, bringing minor tweaks before the debut of Snow Leopard in September.

This is not the last update. 10.6 is not like some total automatic replacement of 10.5. 10.5.9 will be the last, and it will come in about a month as a final tweak.
post #13 of 132
While I can't claim issues with the current revision it is obvious Safari needs work so update I will. Well somtime soon, no WiFi here. All in all the update sounds good.

As to the nonsense that this is the last 10.5.xx update I have to say nonsense. One more is very likely and longer term support even a remote possibility. Apple knows full well that good will is easy to loose and that SL won't work well on a lot of machines. I suspect that they may support Leopard a bit longer than normal.

Dave
post #14 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

This is not the last update. 10.6 is not like some total automatic replacement of 10.5. 10.5.9 will be the last, and it will come in about a month as a final tweak.

I doubt that very much.
Apple will have another 10.5.x a few months afer 10.6, to work out any issues issues between the two.
And I doubt even that will be the final 10.5.x.
post #15 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Wrong link for the combo update, the one in the article is to the server combo update. I wonder how many other people will end up downloading almost a gig of the wrong data because of that link.

Here's the right one:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/M...8_Combo_Update

Much thanks!!
post #16 of 132
I'd generally be excited to get this upgrade, but I currently run the latest build of 10.6. However Safari 4.03 is a lot more crash happy than any previous build of SL. Regardless, I feel we haven't seen the last 10.5 update. I suspect we will see 10.5.9 and that will be the last point release. I am sure a few security updates would be applied to 10.5 after SL is released, but no more point releases.
post #17 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiognome View Post

it feels.....

My restart after the Software Update also was lengthy. Patiently waited through an apparent multiple re-boot. Thought maybe the Airport and Time Capsule fixes and the Bluetooth fixes could have been responsible since I do have a Time Capsule and wireless mouse and keyboard. Otherwise, my iMac is running fine. The first subsequent Time Machine backup onto the Time Capsule had a lengthy 'Preparation' pass, but it is OK as well. Very much looking forward to Snow Leopard.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #18 of 132
Updated all my computers with no issues, and yes the update will reboot the computer twice.

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

Mac Pro, 8 Core, 32 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 285 1 GB, 2 TB storage, 240 GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSD, 30'' Cinema Display, 27'' iMac, 24'' iMac, 17'' MBP, 13'' MBP, 32 GB iPhone 4, 64 GB iPad 3

post #19 of 132
As usual, I'll wait a few days, checking with MacFixit, and others, before upgrading our machines.
post #20 of 132
what fun is in waiting?
post #21 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimbdd View Post

what fun is in waiting?

I tend to have substantially less problems than many who rush in for the "fun". I guess fun is relative. When problems occur, which seems to happen a fair amount of time, I can avoid them.

To me, that's "fun".
post #22 of 132
I wondering if they will ever fix Spaces in 10.5.x?
post #23 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Updated all my computers with no issues, and yes the update will reboot the computer twice.

My MBP 17 inch only rebooted once.
I hope this fixes the clamshell power up/down standby mode. Frequently now when using the the dual dvi to mini display port adapter (firmware 1.02) in clamshell mode, my MBP powers back up after disconnection, and stays powered and hot in my bag.
Has this update fixed this for anyone?
post #24 of 132
09 MP rebooted twice then smooth sailing after a rather long boot. Everything seems silky smooth now. (and thank you for finally fixing the resolution problems!)
You win, I've switched sides.
You win, I've switched sides.
post #25 of 132
Wow.

Not only is it snappier, but I now also have whiter teeth and my breath has a fresh minty taste!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #26 of 132
For added peace of mind, download the Combo Updater from Apple's site and use that to update your system, instead of the delta that downloads from the Software Update application.
post #27 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Yaay!

Yay too! Downloading now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is it snappy? For how long?

It's the stud. BTW usually, snappiness on a Mac stays for many, many months. Doesn't suffer the rotting that a Windows install does - I'm very picky with what I install on my PC, because I want maximum uncompromising performance in games. Which means staying clear of any shareware/ "multimedia" / toolbar/ etc. downloads unless absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

For added peace of mind, download the Combo Updater from Apple's site and use that to update your system, instead of the delta that downloads from the Software Update application.

Anyone facing problems with the delta update? I'm too lazy to download the combo updater and then install it on two machines manually. Just lettin' software update do its thing here... \
post #28 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Holy moley 759 MB for the Combo updater. I guess it handles everything from 10.5.0 so I guess that's alright.
post #29 of 132
Upgraded an iMac and a MacBook Pro...both did a single reboot.
post #30 of 132
Well, this is my first system update with my brand new 13" MacBook Pro (longtime Windows user who has finally converted to a Mac ).

Mine rebooted twice (which initially startled me), but everything is working smoothly!
post #31 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As to the nonsense that this is the last 10.5.xx update I have to say nonsense. One more is very likely and longer term support even a remote possibility. Apple knows full well that good will is easy to loose and that SL won't work well on a lot of machines. I suspect that they may support Leopard a bit longer than normal.

I wonder about that too. Snow Leopard is being treated differently from almost every other cat update.

Snow Leopard hasn't been solicited yet. I would expect at least one more point update to Leopard if they hold to pattern, a point update to the previous cat usually shows up about a week after the release of a new cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As usual, I'll wait a few days, checking with MacFixit, and others, before upgrading our machines.

Fie! Heretic!

Actually, I do wait half a week and do a system drive backup before updating a point release. Even Apple software updates occasionally have issues that need to be shaken out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimbdd View Post

what fun is in waiting?

What's the rush?
post #32 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

I doubt that very much.
Apple will have another 10.5.x a few months afer 10.6, to work out any issues issues between the two. And I doubt even that will be the final 10.5.x.

Agreed. I think all this has been engendered simply by some typically mangled wording from Apple Insider. This site is not known for it's English usage and grammatical correctness to say the least.

This here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Is an awful, awful sentence that would get you minus ten marks in any English class.

If you take out the "bringing minor tweaks" part, then it reads as simply (paraphrased), "The last update before Snow Leopard," which is what I think they meant to say.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #33 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Agreed. I think all this has been engendered simply by some typically mangled wording from Apple Insider. This site is not known for it's English usage and grammatical correctness to say the least.

This here: Is an awful, awful sentence that would get you minus ten marks in any English class.

If you take out the "bringing minor tweaks" part, then it reads as simply (paraphrased), "The last update before Snow Leopard," which is what I think they meant to say.

Actually, I think the article is trying to say 10.5.8 is possibly the *very last ever* Leopard update.

Which a lot of posters here disagree with. I think there will be 10.5.9 around the time/ soon after Snow Leopard is released. Then, there could be a 10.5.10 early next year as the *very last ever so long and goodbye* Leopard update.

Just my humble onion. I mean opinion.
post #34 of 132
After I installed 10.5.8 through software update, my screen resets to full brightness every time I restart. I have an iMac CD2 White Mid-2007. Anyone else having this issue right after the update?, I tried resetting the P-RAM but that doesn't work. Please help!
post #35 of 132
Updated an iMac and a MacBook, one iMac to go. So far so good. Don't really notice any speed changes or anything else. Also, Safari still shows as 4.0.2 after the update, is that correct?
post #36 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

I wondering if they will ever fix Spaces in 10.5.x?

What was wrong with Spaces? I don't use it much.
post #37 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually, I think the article is trying to say 10.5.8 is possibly the *very last ever* Leopard update.

Which a lot of posters here disagree with. I think there will be 10.5.9 around the time/ soon after Snow Leopard is released. Then, there could be a 10.5.10 early next year as the *very last ever so long and goodbye* Leopard update.

No way we make it to .10. They want rid of PPC. If we got one more . release I would be half surprised.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #38 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, I think it stinks. Your opinion that is, not the onion.
post #39 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert32 View Post

After I installed 10.5.8 through software update, my screen resets to full brightness every time I restart. I have an iMac CD2 White Mid-2007. Anyone else having this issue right after the update?, I tried resetting the P-RAM but that doesn't work. Please help!

And so it begins with the early adopters.

No, we have no idea which bug is doing that to you.

Try doing what you should have done. Download the combined update, and try again.

Also fix permissions.
post #40 of 132
I think there will be a few more "point" upgrades...certainly 9, possibly 10, doubtfully 11, positively not 12.

My guess is .9, but there will be security updates forever just because (as has been pointed out) it IS the last version to work on a PPC. They are still issuing security updates for 10.4 (because it was the last one that would run on a ≤800 MHz machine, of which there are TONS). Too many companies still rely on their trusty G4 towers. They invested money in them, and they still work well, plus they're the only ones without spending $2500+ that will hold more than one internal hard drive.

The G4 hit the sweet spot of Apple computers for businesses:
1) They weren't overly expensive (quite affordable, actually),
2) The PPC chips were stable and damn good,
3) They were expandable (multiple hard drives, new ethernet/port/graphics card slots, memory easy to get to),
4) No built-in monitor meant that you could use whichever one you wanted, and didn't need to go through expensive repair/replacement if a monitor failed,
5) Didn't get so hot they needed 7 internal fans and the power supplies didn't always get fried like the G5s,
6) Not as fragile as laptops, and were too heavy and bulky to "disappear,"
7) Did I mention multiple hard drives?
8) They are good, solid workhorses that run a good, solid operating system.

So, in short, the PPC support from Mac will have to continue for at least the 3 or 4 years.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OSX 10.5.8 update for Leopard